Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2015

Options

Comments

I'll never forget the day John Leahy picked himself in goals against Toomevara - from his dive, pretending to be hit in the face by hurl from Franny Devaney, to waving a ball wide as it flew straight into the net...

That said, one of the best players I've ever seen play hurling - poetry in motion. But...

That move alone was beyond farcical. We had a more than capable goalkeeper in Vincent Doheny that time iirc and if he wasnt around sure im sure we had other options.

John will always be regarded as the first All ireland SHC winner from the parish (afaik no previous representative received a medal on the field at least) and he will always be lauded for his whole hearted performances for club and county but its quite sad to see what himself and Babs have become tbh.

Now i did think Babs may have been on to something with the money spent on these training camps last year which yielded nothing. On the other hand its grand in hindsight to point to these things. Very few complained about Carton House in 2010 for example. Interesting though that many officials are going on these trips which given the limitations they have placed on training panels is beyond bizarre. They are swanning off to Spain with the team and then you hear stories such as players getting billed for swapping jersies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

I don't think Denis Maher is a great player or capable of the level were looking for - All Ireland winning material at senior level - i don't think he was outstanding for Sars this year - struggled in some games and he is carrying a shoulder injury all summer. I don't think he has the engine or speed for the high end of intercounty - v the likes of KK, Galway, Waterford, and Clare...

While he is a big man - he is more on the flair side of a big man than a hard ball winning grafter like Bonner. I think he has actually regressed from his younger years when he was far more accurate...

I won't go lambasting Ryan just yet for the omission of one player - I'd imagine its an open ended panel... - up to Denis to produce performances that can't be ignored...he hasn't done that for me... - made a good cameo against Dublin a few year ago but I wouldn't be calling him an outstanding hurler just yet - and the time to be calling him potentially outstanding is fading...He needs to wake up in terms of his dedication - not that we;ve a right to ask him for more - it's just that other players are doing it to get to that level of outstanding inter county hurler...

And who is better? Gearoid Ryan? Dan McCormack? Conor Kenny? Seany Curran? There is no way either or any of those offer much more if they even do offer anything more. Im hearing from people how Denis isnt up to it without hearing just who is up to this so called unbelievable standard we are setting. Any game i've seen Denis in he has performed very well for us. The league final in particular springs to mind. He got two points from Cillian Buckley and the minute he was taken off Buckley stormed into the game.
    Well, a fully fit Gearoid Ryan is a lot more than better than Denis Maher - he's proved that. He has the Celtic cross to prove it. The series of injuries to Gar Ryan was a just a big hit to Tipp hurling as Sheehy leaving - immense hurler, better than Bonner when he was in full flight. Just see the job he did on JJ in 2010. But, he's body is broken to be fair - serious injuries. I would say though if he was Thurles man he'd be still on the side ahead of Denis...much smarter hurler.

Maybe, denis's omission is due to his injury? I'd doubt it though - ryan is long enough looking at him in training over the years - he just might not think he is up to it

I think steven O'Brien could make a huge impact as a ball winner on the half line, O'Riordan would be a better choice but is gone (he's certainly more athletic), I think Brian Stapleton could do a job there(not on panel though - serious hurler in my estimation)...John McGrath or Liam...are better players. I'd think you'd have Noelie on the team ahead of Denis too - regardless of his past weaknesses in the air - he brings fair more to the table than Denis. Sean Curran is more direct than Denis but unless he has bulked up big time can't see him making it. McCormack is a tougher man and more traditional hurler than Denis - has potential- don't know if he has the scoring touch. But, if he can win ball then yeah. [font=Open Sans, Arial, sans-serif]Dylan Fitzell might be the bolter this season - if he can get himself in peak condition - and i mean perfect condition - he could be a real disruptive force... [/font]

• Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Xenophile

I just hope that Liam Kearns is doing his very best to keep our group of talented footballers together!

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

Dual players will have to be part of the mix, especially in the early part of the League!

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

Xenophile wrote: »
    I just hope that Liam Kearns is doing his very best to keep our group of talented footballers together!

Its going to be hard to keep lads interested in committing themselves when the manager is on a fortune. I rate Kearns. He's a good coach but the John Evans situation has taught us nothing.

• Advertisement

Its going to be hard to keep lads interested in committing themselves when the manager is on a fortune. I rate Kearns. He's a good coach but the John Evans situation has taught us nothing.

As I said in an earlier post this job should have gone to Charlie McGeever, but word has it he is not ready for it. I hope the Kearns contract is a short one, make no doubt about it but one day McGeever will head up the County Footballers.

But what else but stupidity would you expect from a County Board who have no interest in football?

As I said in an earlier post this job should have gone to Charlie McGeever, but word has it he is not ready for it. I hope the Kearns contract is a short one, make no doubt about it but one day McGeever will head up the County Footballers.

But what else but stupidity would you expect from a County Board who have no interest in football?

It was the football board who allegedly agreed the amount with Kearns although surely the main board had final say.

Mcgeever is a real passionate football man and added another string to the bow recently. I'd like to see both himself and Tommy Twomey front a management team down the line

I guess they call jerseys 'jumpers' in Australia:
    http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/video/2015-12-05/oriordan-proud-to-wear-no-38

• Advertisement

I post that earlier!!! :D:angel:

God sorry i genuinely took my eye off the ball and missed it. Great interview. Very very honest. He is such a nice guy though. A real wholehearted individual and such a lovable rogue. I remember him in Mullinahone in 2010 when the cup came home he had the crowd in the 'sportsfield' eating out of the palm of his hand. A wonderful character. The captaincy was unfair on the man while im sure he is well respected he was never a leader in the same sense as Kelly or Brendan Maher is. A lovely guy though and i wish himself and his good wife all the best for the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Best of luck to the cahir ladies football team in the intermediate all ireland club championship final today. Bring it home this year girls.

Ballyboden for Commercials if they do the job in London next week

• Registered Users Posts: 14,683 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Best of luck to the cahir ladies football team in the intermediate all ireland club championship final today. Bring it home this year girls.

lost by 2 points. ah well :(

Unlucky. Conditions were undoubtedly shíte I'd say

Cheers tipp gunner, pitch very heavy better team on the day won, hopefully they can bring home the intermediate camogie club trophy in the new year( we're in the all Ireland semi final of that) .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

Daire Quinn from Nenagh Éire Óg has apparently been called up to the Tipp panel. A great contributor to Nenagh, supposed to be a nightmare to mark, I'm looking forward to seeing what he can offer the county.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

GerB40 wrote: »
    Daire Quinn from Nenagh Éire Óg has apparently been called up to the Tipp panel. A great contributor to Nenagh, supposed to be a nightmare to mark, I'm looking forward to seeing what he can offer the county.

Lack of physical presence the only apparent minus, definitely has the hurling and deserves to be looked at, some of the additions are very welcome indeed and if only one or two come from it, it will have been worthwhile.

My understanding is that the Tir Chonaill V Clonmel Commercials game on Saturdat will be televised live, see Clonmel Thread for details.

My understanding is that the Tir Chonaill V Clonmel Commercials game on Saturdat will be televised live, see Clonmel Thread for details.

Its on Channel 191 on SKY as far as I know.

• Advertisement

danganabu wrote: »
    Its on Channel 191 on SKY as far as I know.

It seems that this channel is also available free to air on the Internet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭1eg0a3xv7b82of

looking at the 2016 tipp training squad in the independent, great to see plenty of young blood.
    good to hear increased physicality. Good omen.

Brendan Maher named as captain for 2016

Brendan Maher named as captain for 2016

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭slievenamon fella

could anyone tell me where liam ryan is from on the extended training panel?

I am disappointed to see that there is no place for Paul Curran in any capacity on any of the Hurling teams. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭jprboy

Drom & Inch

From Drom, usually plays wing back/centre back - class hurler but has had discipline problems in the past, if he sorts that out he is the real deal IMO.

I am disappointed to see that there is no place for Paul Curran in any capacity on any of the Hurling teams. :(

Will be player/manager of Mullinahone next year which should give him the required experience to become involved in the inter county set up.

• Advertisement

Lads where can I get a list of the hurling panel and extended panel from please, found it, some of them forwards brought in wont worry the likes of kilkenny in the backline

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement