Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2015

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

Tipperary will play Waterford in a senior hurling challenge game in Clonmel Sportsfield on Sunday the 1st March at 1pm. The game is a fundraiser for the G.A.A Centre in Clonmel which has recently been completely refurbished. The game will be refereed by Fergal Horgan

Team News

1) Darragh Egan (Kildangan)
    2) Micheal Butler (Drom/Inch)
    3) Conor O’Mahony (Newport)
    4) Stephen Maher (Thurles Sarsfields)
    5) James Barry (Upperchurch/Drombane)
    6) John Meagher (Loughmore/Castleiney)
    7) Michael Breen (Ballina)
    8) Gearoid Ryan (Templederry Kenyons)
    9) Thomas Stapleton (Templederry Kenyons)
    10) Sean Maher (Clonoulty/Rossmore)
    11) Noel McGrath (Loughmore/Castleiney)
    12) Patrick Maher (Lorrha/Dorrha)
    13) David Butler (Drom/Inch)
    14) Conor Kenny (Borris-Ileigh)
    15) Niall O’Meara (Kilruane MacDonaghs)
    Subs:
    17) Kieran Bergin (Killenaule)
    18) Shane Bourke (J.K. Brackens)
    19) Paul Curran (Mullinahone)
    20) Ronan Maher (Thurles Sarsfields)
    21) Shane McGrath (Ballinahinch)
    22) Conor O’Brien (Eire Og Annacarty)
    23) James Woodlock (Drom/Inch)

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Ompala

Some battle, thought a draw was a fair result myself, lots of good performances from Tipp players

Hit the nail on the head there

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

digzy wrote: »
    Time of the month again? Relax. It's only an anonymous Internet forum ;)

Folks, can we let it go and just get back on topic? That post may well have been a saying. Cheers

• Advertisement

Tipp drew with Waterford today

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Was at the challenge match/fundraiser yesterday. Poorly publicised I think but it was a Waterford Crystal-weather day, the rugby was on/ and “ah shur, challenge match” mentality so I can kind of understand the lack of a good crowd. Still, if this was a championship/league match, be a huge crowd…

I’m not going to analyse this in depth as it was a challenge match and I don’t know a whole lot of players. it was mainly a third-string/borderline second-string team.

Conor Kenny and Bonner Maher were pulled from the starters before the game, shame as I wanted to see them. Noel McGrath hurled very well and his early two points from play were magnificent. His vision was superb too as his handpasses set up team mates for a lot of points. He enjoyed his playmaker role. I didn’t see Shane Bourke do a lot which saddens me as I like him. James Woodlock was James Woodlock, continues to make sh!t of me writing him off years ago, took no crap and hurled well, popped over a couple of points. #24, I think was Bill Maher? Also hurled well.

Michael Breen was good. I think he lacks pace but was solid. James Barry was at #5 and was consistent, cleared a lot of ball. Conor O’ Mahony had a quiet day which is good for a full back. Ronan Maher hurled up a storm when he came on, he got stuck in, his cross field ball to set up a team mate was outrageous. I think David Butler had our goal, placed low, hard and bounced into the corner. Stephen Maher was at corner back but got better when he was moved out field. Darragh Egan had some fine saves and a lot of his puckouts were on-point bar two howlers which slipped into Waterford hands.

John Meagher at #6 was strong until he took a really nasty shot to the family jewels (I think, or the thigh). Was in considerable agony. Gar Ryan was in midfield and hurt himself early but played the full game, strong lad. Tom Stapleton, I didn’t see much of.

The passing, looking for team mates and hand passing was largely slick even if it was a very cold stingy day with not the best conditions underfoot. Again a challenge match but too much space was given for Waterford points, especially the last three that tied it. The intensity picked up massively near the end after Butler’s goal but the ref blew the game up after about 20 minutes of the second half, is this the norm in challenge matches?

1-13 to Waterford’s 0-16.

Side note: we wore our last season’s Skoda jersies, not the new type (central banner going over the crest), are these kept for pre-season, challenges, non-League games?

Excellent report there, Reacher. Thanks.

Conor O’ Mahony at full back - interesting...

Little known true fact about Tony, he used to practice his goalkeeping trying to catch swallows from the roof of his shed at home . Farewell to a true legend

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Spirit of 67

Bad day in Fermanagh yesterday . Disappointing thing is we were been by an average team , our lads didn`t get going at all . Colin and Stephen looked tired and the rest were off form . A couple of missed handy frees from us was the difference ! What`s worrying this year is how few goal chances we are creating .

Sometimes it's hard to beat an emotionally charged team:
    Ryan Mc Cluskey @clucker60
    Follow
    Nice to get a win today for @FermanaghGAA especially on the day we remembered Oisin McGrath and his family ....
    7:29 PM - 1 M

How was the game? Standard of the game like?

Sometimes it's hard to beat an emotionally charged team:
    Ryan Mc Cluskey @clucker60
    Follow
    Nice to get a win today for @FermanaghGAA especially on the day we remembered Oisin McGrath and his family ....
    7:29 PM - 1 M

How was the game? Standard of the game like?

You could see Fermanagh were up for it , it was a bad game though , pitch very heavy , players couldn`t bounce the ball ! It was our worst performance since Carlow 2 years ago at the start of the League . If we had any spark at all we would have won handy .
    Clare next week , if we win still an outside chance of going up .

You could see Fermanagh were up for it , it was a bad game though , pitch very heavy , players couldn`t bounce the ball ! It was our worst performance since Carlow 2 years ago at the start of the League . If we had any spark at all we would have won handy .
    Clare next week , if we win still an outside chance of going up .

Does the Wicklow argument apply to Fermanagh in a sense that although they are relatively oridinary, they are very hard to beat on their home patch?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

You could see Fermanagh were up for it, it was a bad game though, pitch very heavy, players couldn`t bounce the ball! It was our worst performance since Carlow 2 years ago at the start of the League. If we had any spark at all we would have won handy.
    Clare next week, if we win still an outside chance of going up.
    Bad conditions, home team won after long-ish journey for away side. Nohing too wrong with that even if performance was relatively that bit poorer than previous performances this year etc
    Getting a win next week is key though for motivation etc

Does the Wicklow argument apply to Fermanagh in a sense that although they are relatively oridinary, they are very hard to beat on their home patch?

Fermanagh were there for the taking , it wasn`t a case of them dragging us down to their level , we were not up to the standard we have been at for the last year and a half . Everyone had a bad day . Conor Sweeney missed handy frees , Barry Grogan and to be fair plenty others had no composure on the ball .

Bad conditions, home team won after long-ish journey for away side. Nohing too wrong with that even if performance was relatively that bit poorer than previous performances this year etc
    Getting a win next week is key though for motivation etc

The journey isn`t an excuse , the team might in fact have stayed in Cavan the night before . A win next week puts us back in with an outside chance of promotion . Armagh and Fermanagh play next week , so something has to give there .

The time for form is in the summer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Paddico

Feck it, it starts now Evolving. Tipp getting out of division 3 is a must. Sadly a very slim chance now

yes but would rather a long run in the summer or promotion - i know we all want both - but if you look at the squads that do both....

this tipp team is building nicely - but still building - i don't think it has the strong squad to do both - to juggle form for that long...

• Advertisement

Have to agreed with Paddico , last year a great League campaign lead on to almost beating Cork in Munster and a good run in the qualifiers , you need a good League to build momentum . We need to be in Division 2 to compete at the top .

That's fair enough. I still think this squad has a lot of growing up to do together - very young players in places - they'll get savvy a few years.

It'll take a while...I hope Creedon sticks with it

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

But you need to start in the Spring.
    yes but would rather a long run in the summer or promotion - i know we all want both - but if you look at the squads that do both....

this tipp team is building nicely - but still building - i don't think it has the strong squad to do both - to juggle form for that long...
    Your best chances of a successful, long run in summer is high quality performances in the spring. The competitions are played one after the other not concurrently so saying they don't have a squad to do both is rubbish.

Yeah, no one ever had a bad league or a poor start to the championship then went on to do well in the summer...

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg103/im-on-to-you/Emoticons%205/glock836_roll_eyes.gif

That's fair enough. I still think this squad has a lot of growing up to do together - very young players in places - they'll get savvy a few years.

It'll take a while...I hope Creedon sticks with it

We were saying that on the Bus home , the younger players are up against men now and it will take a while to adjust , Colin seems to have settled , but was poor on Sunday , reckon he is burned out .

Well, second season can be tough for players particularly after a big first season - but he's class. He'll come good - probably in for closer attention this year

Unchanged Team tomorrow v Clare :

1. Evan Comerford (Kilsheelan Kilcash)
    2. Alan Campbell (Moyle Rovers),
    3. Paddy Codd Capt. (Killenaule)
    4. Andrew Morrissey (Galtee Rovers)
    5. Seamus Kennedy (Commercials)
    6. Peter Acheson (Moyle Rovers)
    7. Robbie Kiely (Carbery Rangers)
    8. Colin O’Riordan (J K Brackens)
    9. Stephen O’Brien (Ballina)
    10. George Hannigan (Shannon Rovers)
    11. Barry Grogan (Aherlow)
    12. Philip Austin (Borrisokane)
    13. Conor Sweeney (Ballyporeen)
    14. Michael Quinlivan (Commercials)
    15. Ian Fahy (Commercials) .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Tipp hurling team to face Clare.

D Gleeson, Barrett, C O Mahony, C O Brien, Breen, Paudie Maher, Ronan Maher, K Bergin, Woodlock, Bubbles, Brendan Maher,J Forde, N McGrath, S Callanan, J McGrath.

Hon the Premier in both codes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,058 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Unchanged Team tomorrow v Clare :

1. Evan Comerford (Kilsheelan Kilcash)
    2. Alan Campbell (Moyle Rovers),
    3. Paddy Codd Capt. (Killenaule)
    4. Andrew Morrissey (Galtee Rovers)
    5. Seamus Kennedy (Commercials)
    7. Robbie Kiely (Carbery Rangers)
    8. Colin O’Riordan (J K Brackens)
    14. Michael Quinlivan (Commercials)
    15. Ian Fahy (Commercials) .
    tippspur wrote: »
    Tipp hurling team to face Clare.

D Gleeson, Barrett, C O Mahony, C O Brien, Breen, Paudie Maher, Ronan Maher, K Bergin, Woodlock, Bubbles, Brendan Maher,J Forde, N McGrath, S Callanan, J McGrath.

Hon the Premier in both codes.

thanks for the updates lads the clare footballers will be unchanged from the sligo game subject to the late fitness test of david tubridy who was
    injured last week

i expect the hurling 15 to be named in about 3 weeks time just to throw yerselves and eamon o'shea off :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Scorers for Tipperary: Philip Austin & Conor Sweeney (0-2f) 1-2 each, Stephen O’Brien & Barry Grogan (1 45) 0-2 each, Seamus Kennedy, Michael Quinlivan & Ian Fahey 0-1 each.
    Scorers for Clare: David Tubridy (0-3f) & Shane McGrath 0-4 each, Shane Brennan 1-0.
    Tipperary

1. Evan Comerford (Kilsheelan-Kilcash)
    7. Robbie Kiely (Carbery Rangers, Cork)
    3. Paddy Codd (Killenaule)
    2. Alan Campbell (Moyle Rovers)
    5. Seamus Kennedy (Clonmel Commercials)
    8. Colin O’Riordan (JK Brackens)
    15. Ian Fahey (Clonmel Commercials)
    20. Liam Casey (Cahir)
    14. Michael Quinlivan (Clonmel Commercials)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement