Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭buggy beag

up in ennis not a bad day bit windy alright mon da premier

tipp 13 clare 9 half time

probaly a stupid question but can a county board state that the pitch dimensions are certain figures but have them at different dimensions for the year because was looking up pitch dimensions and was finding it hard to believe croke park and nowlan park are the same length and width or is it just the crowd is closer to the pitch at nowlan so looks smaller?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Beating Clare in Football and Hurling in the space of a couple of days makes me a happy man :)

• Advertisement

I'd agree with EOS assessment there tbh. I'd take 4th place now in the league because it would mean we would get a game against the top of div 1b. Anything else is a bonus. We need loads of games pre-that semi final v Limerick/Clare

Have to agreed with Paddico , last year a great League campaign lead on to almost beating Cork in Munster and a good run in the qualifiers , you need a good League to build momentum . We need to be in Division 2 to compete at the top .

We'll have to be content with the level were at come what may. If Fermanagh and Armagh are better than us this season then the very best of luck to both. It comes down to experience and a bit of fortune with regards to the fixture list as had we one of those in Semple our situation would possibly be better. I would have preferred one of Armagh and Fermanagh to have won yesterday also

While div 2 football would be fantastic for the lads perhaps we're better gradually improving rather than the placebo effect of sorts we went through last time we rose to 2A

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

dunno if any of ye saw eoin kelly's interview last week.
    Basically, he said that if we only win one game this league it has to be the cats.
    I'm inclined to agree with him too. I don't care where we finish in the league but beating the cats would be a major monkey off our back.

A championship win, a few seasons in a row, will only undo the damage - kilkenny have a serious record built up against us. I couldn't care less if we never beat Kilkenny in the league again as long we start winning in the championship... - winning that game on sunday is worth nothing if lose to them in the championship again...- it would be nice to win...but its only a stepping stone...

It may only be the second week in March, but Tipperary hurling manager Eamon O'Shea's report card on the work done by his charges so far ticks many positive boxes.
    After a listless beginning to their Allianz League Division 1A campaign against Dublin, Tipp have responded well with victories over Galway and Clare.
    "There's a maturity in the team" was O'Shea's initial reaction to RTÉ Sport following the five-point win over the Banner at Cusack Park on Sunday.
    “I’m happy with the squad in terms of what they’re doing. They are very self-directed and take on board a lot of the stuff themselves. We’re now in a position where we just want to be better."
    O'Shea added: "The lads that have come in have done really well. Some of the older lads like Conor O'Mahony, Conor O'Brien and Noel McGrath are also showing well.
    "Noel McGrath's is only at the pre-season stage in terms of his preparation, so overall I have to be happy."
    O'Shea went on emphasise the competitive nature of this year's league and cautioned that his charges could yet feature in the relegation play-off.
    "We’re now in a position where we just want to be better" - Eamon O'Shea
    "You’ve got five games and you can only hope that every game reflects what you’re doing on the training pitch," he said.
    "I thought our attitude and our work rate was good against Clare. That’s all you can hope for and then see where it takes you.
    "We’re not clear of relegation yet. We may end up in a relegation battle and if it does happen I don’t mind."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

Decent performance yesterday with a good chance to see a few new lads play and a few regulars in new positions.

Attitude was ten times better than the dublin game. Was impressed with the intensity of Noel McGrath yesterday, very aggressive in his tackling which isn't something I'd usually associate with him. To me it demonstrated a good attitude.

• Advertisement

A championship win, a few seasons in a row, will only undo the damage - kilkenny have a serious record built up against us. I couldn't care less if we never beat Kilkenny in the league again as long we start winning in the championship... - winning that game on sunday is worth nothing if lose to them in the championship again...- it would be nice to win...but its only a stepping stone...

It may only be the second week in March, but Tipperary hurling manager Eamon O'Shea's report card on the work done by his charges so far ticks many positive boxes.
    After a listless beginning to their Allianz League Division 1A campaign against Dublin, Tipp have responded well with victories over Galway and Clare.
    "There's a maturity in the team" was O'Shea's initial reaction to RTÉ Sport following the five-point win over the Banner at Cusack Park on Sunday.
    “I’m happy with the squad in terms of what they’re doing. They are very self-directed and take on board a lot of the stuff themselves. We’re now in a position where we just want to be better."
    O'Shea added: "The lads that have come in have done really well. Some of the older lads like Conor O'Mahony, Conor O'Brien and Noel McGrath are also showing well.
    "Noel McGrath's is only at the pre-season stage in terms of his preparation, so overall I have to be happy."
    O'Shea went on emphasise the competitive nature of this year's league and cautioned that his charges could yet feature in the relegation play-off.
    "We’re now in a position where we just want to be better" - Eamon O'Shea
    "You’ve got five games and you can only hope that every game reflects what you’re doing on the training pitch," he said.
    "I thought our attitude and our work rate was good against Clare. That’s all you can hope for and then see where it takes you.
    "We’re not clear of relegation yet. We may end up in a relegation battle and if it does happen I don’t mind."

I tend to agree with you on your point about beating the Cats ET. We beat the Cats in the league in 03, 07, 08, 10 and 13 (and suffered many league defeats too it must be said) but I'd swap all of those victories to have beaten thin once out of n 09, 11, 12 13, or 14 in.

I feel that if Brian Cody was ever less assured about beating Tipp it was during the Sheedy years. EOS lacks the killer instinct that Sheedy brought to the Tipp setup.

you forget that O'Shea was an integral part of Sheedy's reign. This six years service now that O;Shea has given the senior set up - three with Sheedy and three in charge himself

you forget that O'Shea was an integral part of Sheedy's reign. This six years service now that O;Shea has given the senior set up - three with Sheedy and three in charge himself

I remember well that EOS was an integral part of Sheedys management team and highly regarded as a trainer but i just think Sheedy placed a bit more emphasis on marking intensity that has been lacking in Tipp since his absence. O'shea polished up the hurling side of things but Sheedy seemed to have influence on what Tipperary done when they didnt have the ball. While we have an abundance of good defensive players i think Sheedy seemed to place emphasis more on hard work all over the field. The forwards seemed to be winning far more primary possession and getting in more hooks and blocks

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭PlayByTheRules

Well lads, beat Kilkenny at home on Sunday and ye also keep them out of the later stages of the league in the process. The players shouldn't be short of motivation.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭PlayByTheRules

Well lads, beat Kilkenny at home on Sunday and ye likely also keep them out of the later stages of the league in the process. The players shouldn't be short of motivation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Is John McGrath for real? Five points from play is a great tally.

I think we had different types of players then and some players were younger...

I think O'Shea has done a very good job so far - and has given 6 years service to Tipp seniors - a tremendous effort. 6 successful ones. Sheedy gave 3.

There is only one man in hurling management at the moment who deserves the title of ruthless. A large element of ruthlessness is hunger and Cody has demonstrated that now for a long long long time - like a player at the top who does it game in game out, year in year out.

• Site Banned Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Spirit of 67

We'll have to be content with the level were at come what may. If Fermanagh and Armagh are better than us this season then the very best of luck to both. It comes down to experience and a bit of fortune with regards to the fixture list as had we one of those in Semple our situation would possibly be better. I would have preferred one of Armagh and Fermanagh to have won yesterday also

While div 2 football would be fantastic for the lads perhaps we're better gradually improving rather than the placebo effect of sorts we went through last time we rose to 2A

We would definitely have beat Fermanagh in Thurles , the pitch in Brewster was very heavy , didn`t suit us . The draw between the top 2 done us no favours .
    Your right about the last time we went to Division 2 , going up 2 Divisions in as many seasons might have been too much , better to consolidate our position this year and push on next . Interesting thing about winning Division 3 in 2009 , we beat Down in the Final AET and just over a year later they lost the All Ireland Final to Cork by a point !

We would definitely have beat Fermanagh in Thurles , the pitch in Brewster was very heavy , didn`t suit us . The draw between the top 2 done us no favours .
    Your right about the last time we went to Division 2 , going up 2 Divisions in as many seasons might have been too much , better to consolidate our position this year and push on next . Interesting thing about winning Division 3 in 2009 , we beat Down in the Final AET and just over a year later they lost the All Ireland Final to Cork by a point !

Very true. Didnt we also draw with them up in Newry in the league in 2010 iirc?

Down went on to knock out Kerry that same year and we beat a decent Laois team in Thurles after giving Kerry a hell of a fright.

I think we had different types of players then and some players were younger...

I think O'Shea has done a very good job so far - and has given 6 years service to Tipp seniors - a tremendous effort. 6 successful ones. Sheedy gave 3.

There is only one man in hurling management at the moment who deserves the title of ruthless. A large element of ruthlessness is hunger and Cody has demonstrated that now for a long long long time - like a player at the top who does it game in game out, year in year out.

Sheedy actually worked under Michael Doyle as selector. Prior to that he was the Intermediate hurling manager. He then won the minor all Ireland in 2006 on his second year. In all i think he gave 8 seasons between 02 and 10 with various Tipperary teams. Perhaps Sheedy isnt up there in terms of ruthlessness at the same level as Cody but in my own opinion he was certainly the most worthy adversity of Cody we have had to date. Eamon has given terrific commitment given the distance he lives from Thurles but i get the impression that Sheedy is a far more win at all costs type wheras O'Shea very like Arsene Wenger will stick to his philosophy no matter what.

• Advertisement

How can you describe a man who has one All-Ireland as ruthless or win at all costs? I don't see it.

Babs had two as a manager and came back for more.

I wrote 6 years to the seniors.

In all fairness the commitment for intermediate or minor is no where near Senior - not the same.

The less said about the Doyle ERA the better...if we were to compare Sheedy's time as selector and O'Shea's time...

Eamon O'Shea gave the final talk to the team before the all-ireland 2010 - that was his standing. The style used now is more or less the style used by Tipp then.

I admire Sheedy I just wouldn't be hero-worshipping or measuring O'Shea against him. Or pining for Sheedy to come back - he left after one All-Ireland whatever the reason. O'shea is leaving too - not ruthless men - either of them. O'Shea is a tactical genius, however.

Sheedy didn't have long enough of career at inter-county to be known as a manager - never had more than one cycle - never reinvented the team or changed tactics because he wasn't there long enough. The Munsters Sheedy won came on the back of the disintegration of the great cork and waterford teams. Even Declan and Tommy won Munsters. O'Shea and Tipp have faced a coming Limerick...twice...

There's no point to comparing them really - as for backs marking...come on... - how do you know that Sheedy made more of an emphasis on marking than O'Shea!?!?!?! It's plan A!!! it's hardly a tactic...the same system O'Shea installed with Sheedy is in place now - covering space - crowding areas - bring the wing forwards back deep - he is trying to bring players through - as other players shoved on - trying to rejuvenate a team that was hammered by KK twice, during the Ryan era, before he brought them to within a post of winning ....

I see your point - but I can't agree. Just because Sheedy won one ALL-IRELAND, it does not make him a better coach than O'Shea - who was also vital to that win.

How can you describe a man who has one All-Ireland as ruthless or win at all costs? I don't see it.

Babs had two as a manager and came back for more.

I wrote 6 years to the seniors.

In all fairness the commitment for intermediate or minor is no where near Senior - not the same.

The less said about the Doyle ERA the better...if we were to compare Sheedy's time as selector and O'Shea's time...

Eamon O'Shea gave the final talk to the team before the all-ireland 2010 - that was his standing. The style used now is more or less the style used by Tipp then.

I admire Sheedy I just wouldn't be hero-worshipping or measuring O'Shea against him. Or pining for Sheedy to come back - he left after one All-Ireland whatever the reason. O'shea is leaving too - not ruthless men - either of them. O'Shea is a tactical genius, however.

Sheedy didn't have long enough of career at inter-county to be known as a manager - never had more than one cycle - never reinvented the team or changed tactics because he wasn't there long enough. The Munsters Sheedy won came on the back of the disintegration of the great cork and waterford teams. Even Declan and Tommy won Munsters. O'Shea and Tipp have faced a coming Limerick...twice...

There's no point to comparing them really - as for backs marking...come on... - how do you know that Sheedy made more of an emphasis on marking than O'Shea!?!?!?! It's plan A!!! it's hardly a tactic...the same system O'Shea installed with Sheedy is in place now - covering space - crowding areas - bring the wing forwards back deep - he is trying to bring players through - as other players shoved on - trying to rejuvenate a team that was hammered by KK twice, during the Ryan era, before he brought them to within a post of winning ....

I see your point - but I can't agree. Just because Sheedy won one ALL-IRELAND, it does not make him a better coach than O'Shea - who was also vital to that win.

O Shea has won ZERO all irelands so far and when he had the chance to he brought on an ageing player who shouldnt have been on the squad last year in all reality as legendary as he was.

O'Shea was staring right down the barrel of a fourth championship defeat in a row and hasnt even won a game in Munster let alone a Munster title. O'Shea is a great man to have as part of a management team dont get me wrong but i just dont think he was as good as made out to be when it comes to actually managing the team. Sheedys teams turned over far more possession and were far better at marking. Thats only my own perception but i can guarantee if you asked any Kilkenny hurler which Tipperary team he hated playing the most they would say Sheedy's all day long. They have absolutely no fear of O'Shea's Tipp teams. Now i noticed an aggression and cuteness in Tipp last Sunday that i havent seen since EOS returned so it may all change yet, please god.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

I'm pretty sure we covered this ruthless/killer instinct notion before ether in this thread or last season's one...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

I'd love to know how one can quantify "ruthlessness" or "killer instinct".
    Calling eos a "tactical genius" is a bit ott. Kk changed their tactics for the replay last sep, did we? Best team won. We were the best team first day by a mile, yet we couldn't kill them off.

We don't have the type of player/squad to change too such - we're really limited by our choices on the half forward line - he's reinvented Callinan, he's getting the best out of team hammered by Kilkenny before.

For me, there is also an aspect to any sport in terms of the way to play the game. O'Shea has brought the most attractive brand of hurling to Tipp I've ever seen from a county - that is dictated by the players he has - but it is a fantastic brand of hurling to watch.

Kilkenny's squad is fair stronger - higher turn over of players in key positions - young blood with big talent every year in all sectors of the field - you can change your tactics quite well - also, kk changing their tactics was quite a compliment to O'Shea.

You all seem to be fixated on quite limited arguments against O'Shea versus Sheedy - it doesn't work like that. Successive Tipp managers have tried and failed against KK due to poor tactics and a lack of quality and diversity of player at half forward and midfield. Not that they are poor players - they're good - but KK have had excellent players in those positions and are still producing them

When we won in 2010 we had fearless young men on the crest of a wave but we also had Eoin Kelly, Lar Corbett, Paul Curran, John O'Brien in their prime - it was a nice blend. We also had festy, fanning, Benny Dunne, and others who could do a specific job. O'Shea is getting close to building that again - he has also put in place continuity with Ryan taking over...

He won one in 2010...

Is that Lar Corbett or Eoin Kelly you're referring to?

O'Shea has gotten to two league finals and the all-ireland final last year? They almost won it?

They were beaten twice by a very good Limerick team who put KK to the pin of their collar?

There was lots of aggression last year - particularly on the road to and in the All-Ireland final - don't know what you were watching or what last sunday's league game changed last sunday....

Ya jus seen padraig walsh said we will be wearing the jersey wit new sponsors for first time this sunday

Strange that its coming from a KK man!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭statto25

Strange that its coming from a KK man!

He works for Elverys

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement