Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,988 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Good day all round for tipperary :)

Hurling kk 1:13 tipp 2:22

Football louth 3:11 tipp 4:16

Up the premier.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

Louth 3-11 Tipperary 4-16 FT

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Good day all round for tipperary :)

Hurling kk 1:13 tipp 2:22

Football louth 3:11 tipp 4:16

Up the premier.

It must be down to the jerseys....

KK missing half their team so has to be seen in that light

KK missing half their team so has to be seen in that light

Still good to have beat them all the same, would have been terrible to have lost.

Can anyone work out how many of their team started last September compared to us?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

I reckon they were missing eight - more or less the heart and engine of their side

Our championship side will be changing a lot more than their team I'd imagine..

all-ireland teams: Kilkenny: E Murphy; P Murphy, JJ Delaney, J Tyrrell; P Walsh, K Joyce, C Buckley; R Hogan, C Fogarty; M Fennelly, C Fennelly, E Larkin; R Power, TJ Reid, J Power.
    Tipperary: D Gleeson; C Barrett, P Maher, P Stapleton; B Maher (captain), J Barry, K Bergin; S McGrath, J Woodlock; G Ryan, P Maher, J O’Dwyer, N McGrath, S Callanan, L Corbett.

Today's teams:

TIPPERARY: D Gleeson; P Curran, C O’Mahony, C Barrett; M Breen, P Maher, R Maher; K Bergin, J Woodlock; J O’Dwyer, B Maher, J Forde; N McGrath, S Callanan, N O’Meara.
    Subs: C O’Brien for Curran (inj, 29), S McGrath for Forde (51), J McGrath for O’Meara (59), S Bourke for N McGrath (62), D Egan for Gleeson (inj, 65).
    KILKENNY: E Murphy; S Prendergast, P Murphy, J Tyrrell; B Kennedy, K Joyce, C Buckley; M Kelly, L Ryan; W Walsh, R Hogan, M Ruth; J Farrell, J Power, G Aylward.
    Subs: K Kelly for Aylward (h.t.), J Lyng for Ryan (48)

digzy wrote: »
    It must be down to the jerseys....

That magic 180 degrees hoop done the trick :pac:

Firstly well done to the footballers on a terrific result today up in Drogheda. When i heard what Louth scored first i feared the worst but then when i heard we clocked up 4-16 i was absolutely delighted.

Now for the hurling :) One swallow dont make a summer and Kilkenny are probably suffering from the absence of their Ballyhale contingent - of which Reid and the Fennellys are an important cog in the wheel along with Henrys influence and leadership, but lets not detract from the hunger, attitude, and resilience we showed today. We were absolutely terrific. I couldnt pick one bad performance and the work rate was a joy to behold. While i accept it is only the league, ive witnessed many bad days against our nearest and dearest neighbours so i was only too happy to be part of the alley ooping when we got goal number 2 today. Kilkenny will still have a big part to play this year though and in the same way i dont think that Dublin are 12 points better then ourselves, we are not 12 points better then Kilkenny if we are better at all

The strength in numbers is begininning to come through from our minors of 2012 with Michael Breen, John Mcgrath, Ronan Maher, emerging alongside the fantastic Cathal Barrett. John Meagher and Liam Mcgrath could also make inroads before the year is out and perhaps also possibly Colm O'Riordan. Add Niall O'Meara and Denis Maher to that contingent the landscape is in bloom

Do you honestly think I give a sh1t about the hoop on the jersey:rolleyes:
    I really don't get people wearing them. Fair enough if you're young but looking at fellas in their 40s wearing these things with their bellies protruding....

It's even worse abroad. Fellas wearing these things thinking they're the height of fashion. To be fair it beats fellas wearing soccer jerseys from places they've never even been to.

:eek: What an outrageous comment to make :pac:

And leave our hefty fans alone :D

:eek: What an outrageous comment to make :pac:

And leave our hefty fans alone :D

On mature recollection, wearing the tipp Jersey is eclipsed not only by the English soccer tops but by the lads in the Celtic top, replete with a sh1tty tattoo and a box of fags:eek:

Dunno if there's too many of us over 35 in the shape for them!

Some result for the footballers. Thought Cody looked relaxed enough at the finish. Looking at who they've to come back I'd be relaxed too. If we'd won a tight game by a point it'd have stood us in better stead. Nice to have that monkey off our back. Nice to see eos giving the wider panel plenty game time.

Don't think we'll be seeing lar in a tipp Jersey -on the pitch;)- either. Anyone got an update on him. After reading his book I really felt for him. Seems like a nice fella.

On mature recollection, wearing the tipp Jersey is eclipsed not only by the English soccer tops but by the lads in the Celtic top, replete with a sh1tty tattoo and a box of fags:eek:

Some result for the footballers. Thought Cody looked relaxed enough at the finish. Looking at who they've to come back I'd be relaxed too. If we'd won a tight game by a point it'd have stood us in better stead. Nice to have that monkey off our back. Nice to see eos giving the wider panel plenty game time.

Don't think we'll be seeing lar in a tipp Jersey -on the pitch;)- either. Anyone got an update on him. After reading his book I really felt for him. Seems like a nice fella.

And a tin of Carling, Tennants, Magniers dont forget

• Advertisement

And a tin of Carling, Tennants, Magniers dont forget

Come to think of it, some of the tipp crowd are partial to the odd bulmers or 7 on match days!

Come to think of it, some of the tipp crowd are partial to the odd bulmers or 7 on match days!

As Michael Lyster once said before the 2009 Munster final 'they are now pouring into the ground after their refreshments, whether it is of the apple or pear variety we dont know' :pac:

It looked bad for Paul Curran ...

Well, whatever about Lar and the rest of the year - he is still on the panel. isn't he? Unlike Colin O'Riordan

• Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Well, whatever about Lar and the rest of the year - he is still on the panel. isn't he? Unlike Colin O'Riordan

Colin O'Riordan is enjoying his football and contributing greatly to the team, after today the Footballers are guaranteed to stay up, and maybe after next years league we could move up to Division Two.

When did Tipperary footballers score if ever, 4.16 in a competitive game.

Peter Creedon has these guys well motivated and they don't need to look over their shoulders for inspiration from the hurlers. Roll on the day when players will have a choice of playing on two great teams and don't rule it out maybe playing both codes. Stranger things have happened!

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭buggy beag

digzy wrote:

Speak for yourself im 36 this year and wear it well albeit personal opinon haha

Paul will find it very very hard to come back from this latest setback. If im being honest i was surprised he returned for '15 although I suppose he felt it better to hold on if he strongly feels there is one more medal up for grabs and not being arrogant about it i think we have a serious chance this year and thats not based on the league but i believe we have greater competition for places then we've ever had in my lifetime anyhow.

Should we try out a few more youngsters down in Cork next week? To be honest we're in the quarter final and im not too bothered if we finish fourth or first in the table. In fact a tougher tie against the winner of 1b could be better.

I'd like to see John Meagher get a game anyway - a full game. Jason Forde faded badly today - so might throw him out again, see what he's made of - last chance before championship rolls out. Conor Kenny - give a bit more experience. THink Liam McGrath is injured...

Butler?

Speaking to RTÉ Sport afterwards, O'Shea summed up the game by saying: "We had a difficult start but we recovered well. In the second half, we kept our composure at a time when they were few scores. Niall O'Meara worked hard during the game. That's what you's expect from him."
    Looking at the bigger picture, O'Shea is not placing too much stock in at last seeing off the Black and Amber and reaching the knockout stage of the league.
    "We're through to the quarter-final and that will do me," he added.
    "It's a game in March and you have to take it for what it is. We won a game today. Sometimes we lose games. It has no bearing on what is to come in any month following this.
    So just be cautious.”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Paddico

Xenophile wrote: »
    Colin O'Riordan is enjoying his football and contributing greatly to the team, after today the Footballers are guaranteed to stay up, and maybe after next years league we could move up to Division Two.

When did Tipperary footballers score if ever, 4.16 in a competitive game.

Peter Creedon has these guys well motivated and they don't need to look over their shoulders for inspiration from the hurlers. Roll on the day when players will have a choice of playing on two great teams and don't rule it out maybe playing both codes. Stranger things have happened!

Yeah great to see. Armagh got a bit of a fright against Clare but I can’t see either Fermanagh or themselves losing any of their remaining games.
    Will be great achievement in itself if Tipp footballers win their remaining matches.

Anyone know what the story is with Colman Kennedy, is he injured?
    Would be a crucial part the U-21 team for this Wednesdays game.

• Advertisement

Brian Cody won’t ask the Ballyhale Shamrocks players to return to action with Kilkenny next weekend, despite the looming prospect of relegation.

Henry Shefflin, TJ Reid and the Fennelly brothers would be a considerable boost to Kilkenny when they play Clare next weekend but they line out against Kilmallock in tomorrow’s All-Ireland club final.

“I wouldn’t be asking lads to tog out again a few days after an All-Ireland final,” said Cody after yesterday’s defeat at the hands of Tipperary.

“Not unless they decided they wanted to themselves. But we’re not even thinking we’re going to have anyone back for next week. The league goes on. The following week there’s a match again.”

One of the few bright spots for Cody yesterday was the display of Richie Hogan.

“He had an excellent first half. He’s just carried on and was manful to the very end. Tipp got on top of us but we had chances early on in the second half and didn’t take them.

“Those things matter. Suddenly it gives confidence to a team. We didn’t get scores; we didn’t finish off the moves and that certainly gave Tipp the drive to keep on going and they were strong.”

Kilkenny created opportunities in Thurles yesterday; they just didn’t take them.

“We had goal chances and it’s good we created them but we would need to finish them, and we didn’t. That’s the way it went today but as I said, there’s life after today; that’s for sure.

“They (Tipperary) did win an awful lot of 50-50 ball. That’s the way it happens sometimes. There’s no excuses as regards missing players. There’s no point talking about that.

“We had out the players we had out. They’re all part of our panel. We hurled well for half the game but not well enough the rest of the game.”

Statisticians in Semple were suggesting it was the first time Kilkenny have lost three consecutive games under Cody’s management...

“I’ve no idea,” said the manager. “Haven’t the slightest idea. I don’t even consider how many in a row. That’s nothing to do with it. We’ll just get ready for the next game.We always say we want to win the league. Same this year. I thought last Sunday we did we well. Against Dublin, we’d be disappointed how we played. Today we were decent for the first half, would be disappointed with how we played in the second.

“We’ll just keep it going. We’ve an important game against Clare next Sunday.”

For future reference Ritchie hogan needs to be man marked. He picked up a lot of loose ball the last day. We need to sacrifice a player and let him follow him anywhere. Someone like Cathal Barrett, not paudie Maher. If we can stop him, then we're in business.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Michael Cahill - when he gets fit - is the right man to mark players like ritchie and tony kelly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

If we won by a point you'd likely be on here criticising the team for not winning by more. The one thing that yesterday showed above all else is that we have a stronger panel than them. I'd say Cody wasn't that relaxed truth be told given the dog **** performance some of his forwards gave yesterday

If we won by a point you'd likely be on here criticising the team for not winning by more. The one thing that yesterday showed above all else is that we have a stronger panel than them.

No I wouldn't be criticising them if they won by a point. have you any proof for that or just throwing mud for the sake of it...wont hold my breath for your response.

Perhaps you've issues understanding my post so i'll spell it out for ya..
    We've been edged out by kk on numerous games in the recent past. If yesterdays game had more of their first team players involved it would've been a closer game. If we edged them out in a battle I think it would have given our lads a nice psychological boost. As it happens, they were missing a few top players, we hammered them, not our fault. Our lads wont be getting much from it. The win over Clare last week would give lads a bigger boost, especially Mc Grath.

stick on tv tomorrow. there's a few lads from the kk panel involved i believe...
    a few all irelands amongst a few of them too ;)
    I haven't seen enough from our panel to say they're better than Kilkenny's. Would be delighted if we had.

for all the talk of kk retirements they really only lost jj from their starting 15.

buggy beag wrote: »
    Speak for yourself im 36 this year and wear it well albeit personal opinon haha

I'm sure you're a sight to behold;)

No I wouldn't be criticising them if they won by a point. have you any proof for that or just throwing mud for the sake of it...wont hold my breath for your response.

Perhaps you've issues understanding my post so i'll spell it out for ya..
    We've been edged out by kk on numerous games in the recent past. If yesterdays game had more of their first team players involved it would've been a closer game. If we edged them out in a battle I think it would have given our lads a nice psychological boost. As it happens, they were missing a few top players, we hammered them, not our fault. Our lads wont be getting much from it. The win over Clare last week would give lads a bigger boost, especially Mc Grath.

stick on tv tomorrow. there's a few lads from the kk panel involved i believe...
    a few all irelands amongst a few of them too ;)
    I haven't seen enough from our panel to say they're better than Kilkenny's. Would be delighted if we had.

for all the talk of kk retirements they really only lost jj from their starting 15.

Its a greater loss than that. Those lads they lost were experienced leaders and part of a golden generation. Tommy Walsh had 8 All ireland winning medals, JJ Delaney had 9 , Brian Hogan 7, Taggy Fogarty 7, Even Herity had 5 although admittedly Kilenny have had better goalkeepers then Herity. But the loss of the other four around the panel with younger lads lfited by the mere sight of them cannot be underestimated.

And then you have the absence of the Ballyhale lads and then count in the very underrated and hugely hugely important Eoin Larkin, and the dangerous Richie Power who is a constant menace.

Richie Hogan aside, Kilkenny looked a team yesterday that was devoid of experience and leadership. While Jonjo Farrell was very lively and impressive, Walter Walsh and John Power were very disappointing for the bit of experience they hold. Tipp by contrast had young lads who played as if they were around for years. the sudden competition in the Mcgrath and Maher households has done both sets of brothers the world of good. The subs that came in were equally impressive with Conor O'Brien really standing out for me.

Ill keep the champagne on ice for now as we all know that Championship intensity is a whole different animal and there is little if anything between our first choice fifteen and Kilkenny's, but i would be confident that for the first time in quite a long time that our 26 can stand toe to toe. That has been one small yet substantial difference for years

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Ompala

Lads what are your thoughts on full back? Haven't seen Barry play at all there in the league, is he injured?
    Thought Breen would be brought in to play there but he is doing serious hurling out on the wing.
    Would love to see John Meagher played there, a fantastic hurler who is probably the most unlucky player with injuries.

Its a greater loss than that. Those lads they lost were experienced leaders and part of a golden generation. Tommy Walsh had 8 All ireland winning medals, JJ Delaney had 9 , Brian Hogan 7, Taggy Fogarty 7, Even Herity had 5 although admittedly Kilenny have had better goalkeepers then Herity. But the loss of the other four around the panel with younger lads lfited by the mere sight of them cannot be underestimated.

And then you have the absence of the Ballyhale lads and then count in the very underrated and hugely hugely important Eoin Larkin, and the dangerous Richie Power who is a constant menace.

Richie Hogan aside, Kilkenny looked a team yesterday that was devoid of experience and leadership. While Jonjo Farrell was very lively and impressive, Walter Walsh and John Power were very disappointing for the bit of experience they hold. Tipp by contrast had young lads who played as if they were around for years. the sudden competition in the Mcgrath and Maher households has done both sets of brothers the world of good. The subs that came in were equally impressive with Conor O'Brien really standing out for me.

Ill keep the champagne on ice for now as we all know that Championship intensity is a whole different animal and there is little if anything between our first choice fifteen and Kilkenny's, but i would be confident that for the first time in quite a long time that our 26 can stand toe to toe. That has been one small yet substantial difference for years

That was exactly my point. Looking at the lads they were missing puts our win in context. They edged us out in last years league and we did everything bar win last years first all ireland. Given our recent history with them I thought a win would be a much needed boost. However, given who they're missing, I wonder will we have learned much from it? Delighted we've young lads coming through. Hope eos gives plenty of them a run against cork next day. It'll be interesting to see what kind of team cork send out. They might want to prove a point after our last meeting in front of their home crowd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Paddico wrote: »
    Anyone know what the story is with Colman Kennedy, is he injured?

Coleman Kennedy is studying in the USA and also playing soccer with one of the local clubs there.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement