Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2015

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

I think we're going nicely...you're right - the thing i'm happiest about is players are sticking up their hands for places with a decent performances - they've yet to be tested in championship some of them but hopefully they can take it to the next level...

Noel is responding to it alright - just hope his form holds all summer - it's rare it happens that a player plays like that all year - that's why i like to see players slowly build into the championship then hit optimum levels for the summer. Only the special players can go through teh whole year in outstanding form like Ritchie and Seamie last year - and at that - they don't pull it off every year

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

It's nowhere near the physicality of championship or the pace...nor is the player's desire the same - and when you've already qualified that takes another level out of the intensity... - you've also players like Saint and Bonnar just back from injury - and Tipp's team is missing a lot regulars

I don't think Cork or Tipp care who they get - if they want games - the only games left for a challenge are Dublin and Limerick (Wexford to a lesser extent) - so they'd be dying to get them as a test for championship - but Limerick are completely different animal when it comes to championship - as is evident when you compare their league and championship performances for the past few years...

I don't see how the context correlates to the performance or the result when the point I'm making is that this was not a championship level game - some of the defending was shocking... - it was a loose free for all...complete opposite of a championship game...

What did you make of the physicality and pace of the game today? Championship stuff for you, yeah?

I don't love to dismiss the league - I just put it in context... KK are in a relegation play-off...they must be really bad...what a context for championship the league is...OH LORD....Limerick are in a lower division they'll be easy to beat come the championship...yeah...because the league works like that...
    Top league games and those which determine div1 semi qualifiers as well as semis/finals are definitely "championship standard". The teams may have been qualified already but placings were still up for grabs, positions on team for the semi final were up for grabs. No self respecting player would treat this game as anything less than full intensity.
    Its evident from loads of your previous posts where you have constantly stated "its only the league" or similar statements that you love to dismiss the league

I think your point is quite simplistic. However, since you've ignored most of my points, I'll just ignore your point also. We'll just agree to disagree!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Crazy attitude IMO and is shown up as being wrong by how team played today...
    Both teams had qualified but result determined who the opposition would be in the quarters which is also the context....
    Why do so many love to dismiss the league...

Not saying you're wrong.i like to see the team going well in the league.
    But remember 2013. Everyone figured the league final we lost was a dress rehearsal for September.neither side made the semi finals the following August. Think cork and Clare were in the second tier that year or were relegated or something and went on to serve up 2 cracking finals.

It's nice to go well in the league...discover players - experiment with tactics...you can certainly destroy your season in the league - but, for me, it's just not championship or a decent indicator for championship - only the first few rounds of championship show the real form of a player and team - and sometimes a slow starting team can build up in the qualifiers as Tipp have done many times

If you've got a squad and championship calendar like KK you can go full steam ahead - but if you're out in May or early June - that's a long time to be holding form

• Advertisement

Today was lovely on the eye for both sides but it was a basketball type of game if im being honest. Similar to England and France in the rugby yesterday. Mentally it was absolutely huge for us to comeback from 12 points down regardless of the importance of the fixture. It shows that there is huge belief growing amongst this group of players. Perhaps it was easy for me to underestimate the job Eamon had in getting Tipperary back from the graveyard of 2012 to being in this position of being potential kingpins again. We were a team demoralised in August 2012 with careers hanging by a thread. In the great scheme of things today means nothing and competition is more ferocious than ever. While Tipperary advance with caution, we must also go with belief in ourselves.

Aboy the kid! Pure poetry!

The Division 1 semi-finals will be played on Sunday 19 April:
    Tipperary/Offaly v Galway/Waterford
    Cork/Wexford v Dublin/Limerick

Might be better for us to get the Biffo's up in Tullamore in terms of getting a stiffer test. They shocked Limerick in the Gaelic grounds last week however id fancy us to win either way. I hope we at least get to the league final in terms of getting as much competitive games in as possible. I wont cry if we fail to win the league but a bit of silverware could be just the tonic this teams needs. A long way from May 3rd to June 21st then where we face either Limerick or Clare.

Yes, it's a good break. It's there to be won now... - I've said earlier on this thread I believe we need to to win munster this year - important for championship confidence, to then go on to the all-ireland series. But, considering the break, in comparison to the last few years, a league final would be grand....

• Advertisement

Yes, it's a good break. It's there to be won now... - I've said earlier on this thread I believe we need to to win munster this year - important for championship confidence, to then go on to the all-ireland series. But, considering the break, in comparison to the last few years, a league final would be grand....

The one downside to winning Munster is that there is a massive break between the Munster final on the second Sunday of July and the All ireland Semi on the third sunday of August. Many the team has been caught cold. I suppose its a real credit to Kilkenny that they have managed to negotiate it year after year after such a long lay off between provincial final and AI Semi.

That's true - but, I think we're in a position of experience now - a lot of the team have played in finals and been on the road. I don't think we'd be susceptible to being caught as cold as most teams who have not tasted championship pace against KK in August and September. But, we haven't won Munster since 2012... - i think the break between league final and Munster semi should give us an idea of how to deal with the break - KK are used to long breaks.

But, the biggest test lies in the munster semi, i think- sets up our year - to lose to Limerick three times in a row would really say something about our ability to get a result against a hard working psychical team - we need to win that to have any chance against KK...

If it's clare - it will be a different challenge - but if Clare manage to beat Limerick they'll be back to their best running game ...

That's true - but, I think we're in a position of experience now - a lot of the team have played in finals and been on the road. I don't think we'd be susceptible to being caught as cold as most teams who have not tasted championship pace against KK in August and September. But, we haven't won Munster since 2012... - i think the break between league final and Munster semi should give us an idea of how to deal with the break - KK are used to long breaks.

But, the biggest test lies in the munster semi, i think- sets up our year - to lose to Limerick three times in a row would really say something about our ability to get a result against a hard working psychical team - we need to win that to have any chance against KK...

If it's clare - it will be a different challenge - but if Clare manage to beat Limerick they'll be back to their best running game ...

Yeah to be honest i think this Tipperary team are a totally different beast to the one in 11, 12 or 13 and we've possibly come on even since last year due to the terrific new young players that have come in. I also think Seamie and Noel have really been leading this team. I honestly believe Noel is benefitting greatly due to the sudden bit of 'household' competition he is receiving from his brother John.

Id agree that we'll only know how far we have come when we play against the two teams who are able to keep things air tight - Kilkenny and Limerick.

If this is what a dead rubber is like, then a few more of them wouldn’t go astray.

Tipperary left Páirc Uí Rinn yesterday with a deserved win over Cork, having trailed at one stage by four goals before storming to victory with seven unanswered points. A good result in a relatively inconsequential league game.

For Tipperary supporters it won’t be a shock to learn that the team is better with James Woodlock driving through the midfield and Patrick ‘Bonner’ Maher winning the ball on the forty. It will soothe those in Knocknagow to know those two players are reintegrating into the team at the right time, and captain Brendan Maher’s first-half injury, a nasty gash to the cheek, shouldn’t stop him from lining out next week.The other side of yesterday for Tipp was conceding four goals, three of which came from the direct route through the middle of the field. Padraic Maher hit a lot of ball at centre-back for Tipperary but his man, Seamus Harnedy, ended the game with five points from play: is the big man from Thurles better on the wing and coming infield to dictate the play?

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/tipperary-refuse-to-surrender-319967.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

I heard John Meagher had to have surgery after getting a belt in a sensitive area in a challenge match a few weeks back, poor chap has no luck at all.

Jesus Christ... - I hate to say it but it looks like he is going to be one of those players who can't get off the treatment table - such a talented hurler

including the introduction of the ‘one-on- one penalty’ and advantage rule in hurling:

http://www.gaa.ie/gaa-news-and-videos/daily-news/1/2303151106-congress-rules-/

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭buggy beag

Tipp away to offaly in tullamore,cork at home v wexford,dublin game on in croke park

Jesus Christ... - I hate to say it but it looks like he is going to be one of those players who can't get off the treatment table - such a talented hurler

He is so unlucky. Surely to god his luck will change. Seamus Hennessy is a player that will heavily sympathize with him

If he had to receive stitches they will take a few weeks to bind and dissolve I'd imagine.

• Advertisement

Kilkenny will hammer them. I'd say even if it was in Ennis I'd still fancy a Cats win

To not beat the Kilkenny B team the last time out...might really do serious damage to the confidence. If they do get well beaten the next time out - Davy will be under serious pressure...

The Clare full-back line was atrocious

What do people think of the Paudie Maher dilemma - savage hurler - loose marker - ritchie took him for a lot of scores and go on a lot of ball last year - seamus hardney took him for five points last sunday - should O'Shea persist with him at 6 or move him back to 7 - I don't think Ronan is strong enough yet, very promising, but the way horgan out-muscled him and scorched him for the fourth goal is concerning. Should Barry be considered for 6 again when he gets fit again?

Should Breen be tried at 11? Played a lot there with the club

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Clare haven't a hope of beating KK in Nolan park I'd say,I'll go for Tipp,Dublin,Cork and Galway to win,what ye think?

Yeah, Tipp v Galway and Cork V dUBLIN - I'd agree. the game in Croker might tip it for Dublin - but Limerick are traditionally a real championship side - kind of saunter through leagues

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

Good to see the new penalty rule come into effect from April 11. Last September it was all "the Tipp lads can't take a penalty" but it has turned out that very few can. You also had morons online saying that Sheedy brought the rule through to suit Tipp. This league campaign has seen Richie Hogan and Zane Keenan miss 2 each and these 2 players hit a shot as good as anyone.

Yes, good points. I think the advantage rule is a good one too - far too many forwards about to break through or get shots off are being dragged down for penos or 21s - it's not right - we want to encourage creative play and goals - but refs to get tougher on backs dragging people down...

Alot would find it very hard to understand why in a county such as Tipperary that Colin O'Riordan would choose football over hurling but its great to see that the young lad is motivated more by genuine love of the sport rather than simply medals.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement