Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭buggy beag

What do people think of the Paudie Maher dilemma - savage hurler - loose marker - ritchie took him for a lot of scores and go on a lot of ball last year - seamus hardney took him for five points last sunday - should O'Shea persist with him at 6 or move him back to 7 - I don't think Ronan is strong enough yet, very promising, but the way horgan out-muscled him and scorched him for the fourth goal is concerning. Should Barry be considered for 6 again when he gets fit again?

Should Breen be tried at 11? Played a lot there with the club

Are we assuming then that o mahony will probaly take the number 3 jersey?ya hard one to know with paudie isnt it .ya young breen has been playing serious hurling wing back chipping un with a couple of points to.didnt realise he played centre forward with club.what do you think of the bren maher experiment at number 11?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

• Site Banned Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Spirit of 67

Alot would find it very hard to understand why in a county such as Tipperary that Colin O'Riordan would choose football over hurling but its great to see that the young lad is motivated more by genuine love of the sport rather than simply medals.

Well , he has won a few Medals at the Football for Tipp and hopefully plenty more on the way .

Well , he has won a few Medals at the Football for Tipp and hopefully plenty more on the way .

True enough. I hope this Tipp team can at the very least win a provincial and go far in the championships to come

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Paddico

Alot would find it very hard to understand why in a county such as Tipperary that Colin O'Riordan would choose football over hurling but its great to see that the young lad is motivated more by genuine love of the sport rather than simply medals.

We’re generally not short of quality hurlers in Tipp but were always short of quality footballers.
    Long may it continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Extracts from the above link!

‘If you love something you don’t just pack it in’ – why this Tipp player chose football over hurling

Colin O’Riordan love of football means that’s where his loyalties lie.
    O’Riordan is a prodigious talent who won an All-Ireland minor football medal at the age of 15 in September 2011 and in his first season as a senior player in 2014, he claimed an Allstar nomination.

Last month he starred at midfield for the UCD team that won the All-Ireland Freshers Football title.

The JK Brackens club man has been sought after by the county’s hurlers as well – he lined out for the U21 side last July – yet his focus lies with Peter Creedon’s senior football squad and the U21 team that he captains for next month’s EirGrid Munster final against Cork.

My father was a good footballer and he grew up playing football and he comes from South Tipp which is more football.
    “So I grew up with him telling me football is his game. That probably had a big influence on me too. I love football, it’s number one at the moment for me. A good few people would be saying that. ‘What are you doing playing football, you have a better chance of winning an All-Ireland hurling?’

“But if you love something you don’t just pack it in for something you like instead. Football is a great game for me and I feel myself I’m probably a bit better at football. You have to go with your own opinion on a lot things.”

Congrats to Colin O'Riordan on all star nomination,super player, should have been nominated for young footballer too in my opinion #classact
    — Declan Browne (@dbrowne15) October 8, 2014
    Source: Declan Browne/Twitter

O’Riordan enjoyed his spell with Eamon O’Shea’s senior hurling setup despite entering it late in the 2014 campaign.
    “It was hard to go into a group of lads who are so knitted together already. Lads would be looking at you thinking ‘what’s going on here, a lad coming in after football as if hurling is only second fiddle to him.’

“Look I enjoyed the chance and Eamonn was very good to me. Everyone there was very good to me. Eamonn asked me in and I was delighted to go in. There wasn’t any reluctance at all. I was happy to get the chance.”
    O’Riordan revealed he hasn’t been in contact with O’Shea about linking up with the Tipperary senior hurling squad but is in communication with U21 hurling boss TJ Connolly. The 19 year-old is eligible for that grade this season and next with Tipperary taking on Limerick in the semi-final of that championship on 16 July.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

Where in South Tipp is COR's father from?

Anyone see Laochra Gael with Brendan Cummins last week? Excellent stuff.

http://www.tg4.tv/play.php?pid=4115024287001&title=Brendan%20Cummins&series=Laochra%20Gael

O'Mahony might take 3 - looking like it - i suppose the other options are Barry and Saint.

Brendan is in sluggish enough form - certainly putting himself about and doing a job - maybe, wing forward when Bonnar comes back...Breen so far has been playing both wing back and midfield

my Championship 15 would be....

Gleeson

Saint O'Mahony Barrett

Cahill Barry Paudie

Bergin Woodlock

Noelie Bonnar B. Maher

Bubbles Seamie Niall O'Meara

Subs: (If Noelie doesn't hit top form i'd have gar ryan or breen in) - i know J Forde got 1-4 from play the last day out - but I'd like to see him get 3 or 4 points and work hard against a tight limerick team in a league final or championship opener before I'd consider him championship material)

Forde
    Gar Ryan
    Denis Maher
    Conor O'Brien
    Breen
    J McGrath
    S Bourke
    Liam McGrath
    Kenny
    Ronan Maher
    John Meagher

What would your team be?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

It's hard to say at this stage but with everyone fit Id go for:

Gleeson
    Barrett
    Barry
    Saint
    COM
    Paudie
    Cahill
    Bergin
    Woodlock
    Brendan
    Bonner
    Bubbles
    Noel
    Callanan
    O'Meara

IF Shane McGrath has the legs for 50 minutes of Championship hurling then he will almost certainly start. I'm not sure about Brendan Maher either. He could start in quite a few positions. He has only really been consistent as a wing back for me so he will probably end up there as the Championship progresses. Mikey Cahill; if he's fit he's the best player we have but he's not often fit and if his knee is in any way giving trouble then he should be wrapped up in cotton wool until he's 100%.

I think Forde, Kenny, Denis Maher, Gar Ryan, Liam McGrath all have a good chance of starting in the forwards if they impress. Breen is another player who has impressed me so far.

On O'Riordan, while i genuinely hope this man achieves whatever football targets he sets, i also genuinely hope that we see plenty of him play for our hurlers in the coming years. It would be an absolute crime if this man doesnt showcase his ability for us. He is absolutely gifted. I had so much faith in this lad id have probably thrown him in for the eventual drawn final in the dying minutes.

Now im not critical of management for not doing so but for me he would have been the trump card i would have pulled out of the hat. An awesome fielder. When possession was vital in the last 5 minutes i would have put the few bob on him winning a ball and distributing it im not much of a gambling man. Again not having a go at management, i realise their reasons why they may have not considered it and yes it could have backfired. but i just cant envisage it backfiring somehow :)

Where in South Tipp is COR's father from?

As far as I know Fethard.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

Cahill Barry Paudie

Saint O'Mahony Barrett

Gleeson

Bergin Woodlock

Noelie Bonnar B. Maher

Bubbles Seamie Niall O'Meara

Ya pretty much agree with that alto it would be a toss up between conor o brien and saint,couldnt pick between the two at the minute.other question that we alluded to earlier is would you start barry centre back or paudie .barry probaly better choice as he is a tighter marker than paudie.

glued wrote:
    IF Shane McGrath has the legs for 50 minutes of Championship hurling then he will almost certainly start. I'm not sure about Brendan Maher either. He could start in quite a few positions. He has only really been consistent as a wing back for me so he will probably end up there as the Championship progresses. Mikey Cahill; if he's fit he's the best player we have but he's not often fit and if his knee is in any way giving trouble then he should be wrapped up in cotton wool until he's 100%.

glued wrote:

How would you drop for shane though,bergin and woody have been flying it in the middle of the park and if bren maher was to go back wing back who gets dropped then.isnt it great that we have lots of options at the minute.on league form michael breen must surely be close to the starting 15

Tipp team for Sunday v Sligo , first start for Jason Lonergan in a Team that has 6 Under 21`s :

Evan Comerford (Kilsheelan Kilcash), Alan Campbell (Moyle Rovers), Paddy Codd (Capt.) (Killenaule), Robbie Kiely (Carbery Rangers), Seamus Kennedy (Clonmel Commercials), Peter Acheson (Moyle Rovers), Colin O’Riordan (J K Brackens), George Hannigan (Shannon Rovers), Steven O’Brien (Ballina), Liam Casey (Cahir), Philip Austin (Borrisokane), Ian Fahey (Clonmel Commercials), Jason Lonergan (Clonmel Commercials), Conor Sweeney (Ballyporeen ), Ger Mulhaire (Arravale Rovers).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Tipp hurling team to play the Biffos.

Egan, P Stapleton, C O'Mahony,C Barrett,K Berin,P Maher, R Maher,J Woodlock, Breen, J O'Dwyer, B Maher,J Forde, N McGrath,S Callanan,N O'Meara.

Strong team,should be good enough to get us into the semi final.

Meanwhile, the Offaly team for the game has also been named this evening.
    Offaly team:
    1. James Dempsey
    2. Niall Wynne
    3. Dermot Short
    4. David King
    5. Cathal Parlon
    6. Colin Egan
    7. Eanna Murphy
    8. Sean Ryan
    9. Pat Camon
    10.Brian Carroll
    11.Joe Bergin
    12.Emmet Nolan
    13.Stephen Quirke
    14.Dan Currams (Capt)
    15.Shane Dooley

Would be nice to see some of the Tipperary fans turn up in Thurles tomorrow if they are not going to Tullamore! I bit of encouragement and appreciation for the Footballers is well deserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Xenophile wrote: »
    Would be nice to see some of the Tipperary fans turn up in Thurles tomorrow if they are not going to Tullamore! I bit of encouragement and appreciation for the Footballers is well deserved.

Hope you'll make it there too;)

• Advertisement

I`ll be there and lately a good friend has started to go regularly as well and enjoys it !

Best of luck to both Tipperary teams today. Strong winds out may make things all the more difficult

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Best of luck to both Tipperary teams today. Strong winds out may make things all the more difficult

Same weather for both sides;)

Tipp Team v Offaly Egan;Stapleton,O'Mahony,Barrett;Bergin,P.Maher,R.Maher;Woodlock,Breen;Bonner,B.Maher,Forde;McGrath,Callanan,O'Meara

Half time in tullamore tipp 1 14 offaly 4 pts tipp with strong wind 1st half

Kieran Bergin has been stretchered off

Callanan sent off for an off-the ball incident...

he'll miss at least the semi

now barrett sent off - second yellow - offaly have five points in a row

(2nd,65m) Offaly 0-12 Tipperary 1-16

• Advertisement

serious looking leg injury for Bergin

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement