Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Triboro

Bit of a haul alright, 2 1/2 hrs for me and thats north tipp so even longer for the majority of supporters from south, 4 o clock would have been better surely!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Paddico

6 O'clock is a ridiculous time for those travelling far distances. Why the hell couldnt they have it at 4 or half 3 even?

Where on earth are you travelling from.

Navans only 2hrs 20 mins from Clonmel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

Where do people think Brendan's position is?

Paddico wrote: »
    Where on earth are you travelling from.

Navans only 2hrs 20 mins from Clonmel

South Tipp. Nearer to Navan where I am than those from Clonmel. Just think Parnell park would have been a better choice perhaps. Better access to public transport

Where do people think Brendan's position is?

I'd prefer him in the backs or midfield given the injury to Bergin although he has been going quite well in the forwards possession wise

• Advertisement

South Tipp. Nearer to Navan where I am than those from Clonmel. Just think Parnell park would have been a better choice perhaps. Better access to public transport

Well I agree and some nice Tipp pubs in Dublin to go for a beer afterwards as well.
    Coming over from the UK for this myself. Cant wait now …

Westside put the boot in this week. Think its too early to start criticising or panicking myself. Yes the traits of the Limerick game from last years Championship are there but personally i think we'll be ok come championship time

http://www.tippsupportersclub.com/westside-column-24-april-2015/
    Westside Column 24 April 2015

Posted by Tipp Supporters Club on 21 Apr 2015 under News

WESTSIDE.

So much for the betting odds. Tipperary bids goodbye to the league and says hello to a reality check. Our deep resources are perhaps not so deep after all.
    It’s been an eventful week for the county. Callanan’s reprieve came hot on the heels of that awful newsflash about Noel McGrath. ‘Such welcome and unwelcome things at once ‘tis hard to reconcile’, to quote a Shakespearean line familiar to students of Macbeth. Then came that thumping win by the U21 footballers followed by this league reversal. Yes, it’s been a yo-yo week alright.
    After all the excitement, the county’s hurlers now face into an unwelcome two-month hiatus. Perhaps the break will allow those injuries to clear up – and, maybe, give space for some serious reflection on our whereabouts ahead of a Munster semi-final in Mid June.
    This was a league we needed to win. Eamon O’Shea’s third year as manager needs some tangible endorsement in the form of silverware. We’re tired of being valiant losers and with Kilkenny out of the way this time the path seemed clear.
    Yet once more we’ve blinked in a tight finish. By any reckoning it’s a kick in the pants, another harsh reminder of a core frailty which has seen us unable to close out so many key games in recent years.
    It all began so spectacularly well. ‘Bonner’s’ pouncing on that breaking ball for the opening goal represented a tonic start. The second goal hinted at a stress-free day, Forde’s sublime touch setting Brendan Maher away and then the pass to ‘Bubbles’ and the one-handed tennis smash to the net. It was champagne hurling and one wondered if Waterford’s confidence would crack after such a double whammy.
    It didn’t. The Deise are mostly young and brash and bubbling with youthful exuberance. Their All Ireland minor win of two years ago has reawakened hope in the county, epitomised by Austin Gleeson, probably the finest product of that class of 2013. They remind one of the Clare side of the same year, full of energy and athleticism and a sense of abandon.
    It was an enthusiasm we couldn’t quite tame on Sunday last. Despite the early goals Waterford settled to the job working slavishly throughout the field. They refused to be daunted by Tipperary’s reputation and by half time the lead was pared back to just three points, albeit with the aid of some typically strange refereeing calls.
    Thereafter in the second half it was always going to be a struggle for Tipperary to gain traction in this contest. The critical point came about sixteen minutes in when Colin Dunford left Paul Curran chasing shadows before smashing home a critical goal.
    We were now in a dog-fight but by instinct we’re not scrappers. We might have sneaked it if Ronan Maher had found the target on his three efforts or if Callanan hadn’t dropped one hopelessly into the goalie’s hand or if Shane McGrath had finished off a promising run with a better result. Paudie Maher drove one inspiring point but then dropped another short and in the climactic final moments another dubious refereeing call handed Pauric Mahony the winner. In the final seconds we couldn’t manufacture the leveler as the day belonged to the Deise.
    Good luck to them in the final. Like Clare two years back they’ve found a method to suit their resources. It’s not pretty but it’s working. Playing an extra defender, usually Tadhg de Burca, is part of the ploy but otherwise it’s based on a manic work ethic where opponents are crowded out. Trying to track positions at times last Sunday was hopeless. Football’s disease, it seems, has infected hurling.
    For Tipperary the result will surely invite a reassessment ahead of the championship. On Sunday last we replaced two of our full backs – it might have been all three. Surely when Conor O’Brien cried off the original selection the obvious replacement was James Barry. Yet we were in arrears in the second half when the Upperchurch man came in for Paddy Stapleton and the game was in the 66th minute when John Meagher arrived for Paul Curran. By then the damage was done.
    Our half back line fared better, Paudie again hitting a huge amount of ball from the centre. At midfield Woodlock grafted with typical tenacity but Shane McGrath was eventually replaced by Gearoid Ryan whose form continues to disappoint. Likewise Shane Bourke brought little to attack when he replaced the injured John O’Dwyer, though Conor Kenny did better when he came on board for Jason Forde.
    With Waterford crowding out the defence there was no room for runners coming through the middle so ‘Bonner’ had only occasional influence and Callanan too was increasingly denied clean possession. We could have done with Noel McGrath shooting from distance because Brendan Maher for all his nard-nosed grafting is not a scorer. Overall we failed to cope with the Waterford tactics not to mention their energy levels.
    Perhaps O’Shea best summed up the display when he said afterwards that we were flat. We tend to do ‘flat’ too often at critical junctures – recall last year’s championship opener v. Limerick. In fairness the absentees were badly missed. Our defence with Barry and Cahill back will be stronger and it’s a pity John Meagher hasn’t enjoyed more game time. Bergin would surely have brought something to the team too. Noel McGrath also was an obvious loss but thereafter our resources are slight once you dip beyond number twenty or thereabouts.
    The second game saw an extraordinary turnaround as Dublin coughed up a lead that at one stage stood at a healthy dozen. There was always going to be a second half ‘kick’ from the rebels but it was surely aided by an alarming slackening off by the Dubs. With this Cork forward line you can never slacken because they’re always likely to shoot up big numbers on any given day. Their difficulties remain in defence, though the likes of Mark Ellis and newcomer, Cormac Murphy, will strengthen matters when they return.
    I thought the critical aspect in the second half was the toll of wides shot by the Dubs. They just needed to keep the scoreboard ticking with that lead but their count of wides expanded as Cork gathered steam. It was a painful one for the metropolitans and a joyous one for the Leesiders.
    Before finishing a parting comment on the Seamus Callanan reprieve: the Central Appeals Committee saw sense where their colleagues in Central Hearings didn’t. Justice was finally done. Incidentally the same Central Hearings Committee sat in council last week over another case. Dublin hurler, Conal Keaney, was cited on video evidence for an incident with Limerick’s Cian Lynch in the league quarter final. However, our friends on Hearings cleared the player despite the video evidence. They seem to have a blind spot when it comes to any camera. Someone would need to ask this group why they continue to get things so spectacularly wrong.
    Finally one aspect of the Callanan case which I didn’t like was the secrecy of the second appeal. Originally we were told that the Board would fight this case to hell and back and then when the first appeal failed it was announced that there would be no further approach. Case shut. Yet all the time another appeal was being processed in the background. Why the secrecy? I can’t see how in helped the case in any way and at its worst it was being downright dishonest with the public.
    By contrast I have huge admiration for the manner in which the McGrath family handled Noel’s diagnosis. A straight up announcement of the news immediately ended all wild speculation and brought a wave of goodwill towards the player. If good wishes have a medical value he’s already on the way back to training.

Taken from the examiner.

I'm actually glad this didn't happen.
    Playing second fiddle as an opener to the league final really would have taken away from the big occasion.

Meanwhile, Tipperary U21 manager Tommy Toomey revealed their final against Tyrone might have been played in Croke Park had the senior hurlers and Dublin been victorious in their Division 1 semi-finals last Sunday.

“We got the nod if Tipperary hurlers had won and Dublin won, it might’ve been a double-header in Croke Park,” he told Tipp FM. “It would have been fantastic for the boys. It wasn’t to be.”

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Taken from the examiner.

I'm actually glad this didn't happen.
    Playing second fiddle as an opener to the league final really would have taken away from the big occasion.

Meanwhile, Tipperary U21 manager Tommy Toomey revealed their final against Tyrone might have been played in Croke Park had the senior hurlers and Dublin been victorious in their Division 1 semi-finals last Sunday.

“We got the nod if Tipperary hurlers had won and Dublin won, it might’ve been a double-header in Croke Park,” he told Tipp FM. “It would have been fantastic for the boys. It wasn’t to be.”

I'd disagree. Great chance for the footballers in croker with all the hurling fans in tow. I'd say If you asked the players directly they'd prefer this option. By the sound of the manager he's a big disappointed too.

• Site Banned Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Spirit of 67

Hearing that the Under 21 game could be switched to Parnell due to safety concerns , a lot of speculation on Twitter and mentioned on The Hogan Stand Site .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,992 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

U21 parnell Park next Saturday 6pm

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Site Banned Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Spirit of 67

Buses organised by Friends of Tipperary Football are leaving on Saturday :

Tipp Town 1.30 pm
    Cahir 1.45 pm
    Cashel 2 pm
    Horse and Jockey 2.15 pm

Still seats available , cost €15 , call 0868334553 .

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Happy it's been switched to Parnell Park, will give me a chance to escape study for the night. Much easier to get to for people travelling from Tipp so should be a good atmosphere too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Happy it's been switched to Parnell Park, will give me a chance to escape study for the night. Much easier to get to for people travelling from Tipp so should be a good atmosphere too.

As far as I know there is a bus strike on the day, from looking at the map Killester dart station is not too far away from the ground!

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

Yeah much better option in Parnell Pk followed by a pint or 10 in Chaplins.

Getting very excited about this now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

Few let go from the hurling panel, most notably Paul Curran and Tom Stapleton.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Rasputin11 wrote: »
    Few let go from the hurling panel, most notably Paul Curran and Tom Stapleton.
    How many have been cut from the squad? What are the numbers in the training squad now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

How many have been cut from the squad? What are the numbers in the training squad now?

Curran, Stapleton, Bourke, Bill, Sean and Stephen Maher plus the 2 Butlers. I think they are down to a 30 man panel now.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭PlayByTheRules

I'd say Curran would have liked nothing more than another cut off that Larkin fella and a few other KK players but it seemed from the league that he just wasn't up to the right pace. What do ye Tipperary lads think about Larry coming back, can he still be largely carried in games like in Cork Semi-Final last year and replay game? His performance in the drawn game was unreal in fairness. And what about this Shane Bourke fella, has he ever fully stood out in a game?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Curran, Stapleton, Bourke, Bill, Sean and Stephen Maher plus the 2 Butlers. I think they are down to a 30 man squad now.
    I don't understand why they keep it to just 30 in squad. I know cost can play a role to an extent but 30 isnt enough for full on training matches within the squad with there always being injuries, knocks etc
    I'd say Curran would have liked nothing more than another cut off that Larkin fella and a few other KK players but it seemed from the league that he just wasn't up to the right pace. What do ye Tipperary lads think about Larry coming back, can he still be largely carried in games like in Cork Semi-Final last year and replay game? His performance in the drawn game was unreal in fairness. And what about this Shane Bourke fella, has he ever fully stood out in a game?
    Don't see any issue with Lar involved. His talent is too much for him not to be involved..

• Advertisement

If Paul Curran has been let go from the panel now is time to propose a vote of thanks for his sterling service and honest endeavours to the team down through the many years.

I have no problem with culling the panel from to time but let's show our appreciation for those who have worn the blue and gold with honour for those many years.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

Curran, Stapleton, Bourke, Bill, Sean and Stephen Maher plus the 2 Butlers. I think they are down to a 30 man panel now.

Bill Maher's future lies in football, and he will go on to be a tremendous asset to the Tipperary Senior Football team. Let me take this opportunity to wish Bill and his brother Paul every good luck along with their Kilsheelan/Killcash club mate Evan Comerford every good luck on Saturday evening in the All Ireland under 21 Football Final.

Nice to see these guys emerging from under the shadows of Slievenamon!

Tipp to bring home their first under 21 All Ireland Football Title on Saturday.

Xenophile wrote: »
    Bill Maher's future lies in football, and he will go on to be a tremendous asset to the Tipperary Senior Football team. Let me take this opportunity to wish Bill and his brother Paul every good luck along with their Kilsheelan/Killcash club mate Evan Comerford every good luck on Saturday evening in the All Ireland under 21 Football Final.

Nice to see these guys emerging from under the shadows of Slievenamon!

Tipp to bring home their first under 21 All Ireland Football Title on Saturday.

Watched the semi again on TG4 player and Bill Maher was outstanding.
    He was also brilliant in the Munster final as was his brother Paul who kicked two lovely points

Many on here travelling to the game on Saturday.

Out of curiosity many on here have no interest at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,992 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I'm going, but I'm living in Dublin so it's handy if I was living in tipp I'm not sure I would go. Probably just watch it on the box.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭buggy beag

Paddico wrote:
    Id watch it on the telly its dear enough following the hurlers couldnt afford to follow both codes even though id like to but its great to see the interest and u enjoy reading yer posts about the footballers so keep em coming☺

buggy beag wrote: »
    Id watch it on the telly its dear enough following the hurlers couldnt afford to follow both codes even though id like to but its great to see the interest and u enjoy reading yer posts about the footballers so keep em coming☺

Drop the hurling attendance for a year and follow the footballers instead.
    Definitly cheaper Buggy :D

Watched the semi again on TG4 player and Bill Maher was outstanding.
    He was also brilliant in the Munster final as was his brother Paul who kicked two lovely points

Bill was outstanding, I hope just like Colin O'Riordan he will now opt for football. His younger brother Paul is only 18 and doing his Leaving Cert this year.

There is a bus strike on Friday and Saturday, I am fairly sure that trains, Luas and Dart will be running.

Killester Dart station is only a five minute walk to Parnell Park!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Xenophile wrote: »
    There is a bus strike on Friday and Saturday, I am fairly sure that trains, Luas and Dart will be running.

Killester Dart station is only a five minute walk to Parnell Park!

Yep, anyone travelling via train can get the luas to Connolly and then hop on the dart for a few mins there. If you were rushing back to make the last train i'd say a taxi would be the best way.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement