Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Gutted for the U/21 team,missed a few handy chances but it was some effort from them,don't know what the ref was at today made some strange decisions,the one at the end when he sent off the Tyrone lad and still gave them a free out was baffling to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭wazzer1

Rip to the poor man that passed away during todays game. Puts a bit of perspective on everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

callaway92 wrote: »
    What the hell was up with the ref bringing play back for Tyrone's 9th point (free)

The guy fell over and skimmed the knee!!

Free wasn't for that from memory, there was a pull back just after it I think and just coincidence the knee incident was replayed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,692 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Free wasn't for that from memory, there was a pull back just after it I think and just coincidence the knee incident was replayed.

Ah right fair enough so.

Ref had a decent game so bar the bizarre red card/free out in the end for Tyrone. They always seem to get a bad rap in GAA but he had a fine game.

It was a close game that Tyrone came out on top of. Another day Tipp win it. That's the way them breaks :(

• Site Banned Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Spirit of 67

Ah right fair enough so.

Ref had a decent game so bar the bizarre red card/free out in the end for Tyrone. They always seem to get a bad rap in GAA but he had a fine game.

It was a close game that Tyrone came out on top of. Another day Tipp win it. That's the way them breaks :(

:rolleyes: . To see how emotional Colin and Bill Maher were yesterday on the field after the game showed how much it meant . Serious effort from everyone . So proud of the Lads , fantastic year and plenty more to come in the future .
    Went to the Under 21 Final last year really confident we would win but it wasn`t to be . The Final against Cork this year I didn`t fancy our chances and we won ! Everything after that was a bonus .
    There was incidents going on all over the place that the Ref and his Officials even more so ignored . At one stage Colin was dragged to the ground and as he got up the Tyrone Player gave him 2 sly punches to the side of the head , it was around the same area where Jason Lonergan got the Knee in the Head .

https://youtu.be/YFd6PIqdlN4

• Advertisement

:rolleyes: . To see how emotional Colin and Bill Maher were yesterday on the field after the game showed how much it meant . Serious effort from everyone . So proud of the Lads , fantastic year and plenty more to come in the future .
    Went to the Under 21 Final last year really confident we would win but it wasn`t to be . The Final against Cork this year I didn`t fancy our chances and we won ! Everything after that was a bonus .
    There was incidents going on all over the place that the Ref and his Officials even more so ignored . At one stage Colin was dragged to the ground and as he got up the Tyrone Player gave him 2 sly punches to the side of the head , it was around the same area where Jason Lonergan got the Knee in the Head .

https://youtu.be/YFd6PIqdlN4

Not sure what I said warranted that stupid smiley that you put in.

Colin O' Riordan was bickering at the referee all game which I actually found frustrating. Would almost put the ref off giving a decision in his favour sometimes I'd imagine.

Fine performance by the officials again for me, except the bit at the end.

Again, well done Tipp and ul.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

I heard there was scandalous off the ball stuff yesterday, lads being grabbed by the balls, hands down shorts and utter thuggery off the ball.

Not sure what I said warranted that stupid smiley that you put in.

Colin O' Riordan was bickering at the referee all game which I actually found frustrating. Would almost put the ref off giving a decision in his favour sometimes I'd imagine.

Fine performance by the officials again for me, except the bit at the end.

Again, well done Tipp and ul.

The reason for " that stupid smiley " is as the previous Poster said , there was thuggery going on all over the place and massive credit to the Tipp Players , they didn`t react even though they came close to it on a few occasions . Maybe you didn`t see it on T.v. but being there and seeing what was happening all over the place was an eye opener . I love to see Northern teams doing well however as I seen posted on facebook by a Friend who also goes to a lot of Tipp Football games , I quote "Tyrone are one cynical shower . I've never seen anything like it. I fully understand why everyone hates them now ".

The incident I referred to regarding Colin and the one involving Jason , both happened 10 yards from the Linesman , he seen both incidents and said/done nothing .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

In football Kerry, Donegal, Dublin, Kilkenny in hurling, whether its Toulon in rugby or Mayweather in boxing- all take that extra inch - by whatever means - underhand or not - push the boundaries - get it done - might not work all the time but it seems to work most of the time - playing by the rules or just hoping to win by playing the best or most attractive way of playing is naive when it gets to semi-finals and finals - then it's all about clawing whatever you can get by whatever means possible

Tipp had the chances to win yesterday - and there is a lot of ifs and what abouts- the ref this the ref that - but Tyrone clawed that win yesterday - by hook or by crook - Ultimately they wanted it more - and just pushed the boundaries that little bit more and succeeded - different day with different weather and a different ref and Tipp might have skinned them but that's just ****e talk - Tyrone won - best of luck to them

Lots of smashing players on show for Tipp yesterday - that defeat might crush some of the tipp lads but there will be four or five of those lads that will be become Top class - and maybe the likes of O'Riordan or O'Brien can become some of the best players in football in a few years

You get that in every single GAA match.

• Advertisement

Get what?

In football Kerry, Donegal, Dublin, Kilkenny in hurling, whether its Toulon in rugby or Mayweather in boxing- all take that extra inch - by whatever means - underhand or not - push the boundaries - get it done - might not work all the time but it seems to work most of the time - playing by the rules or just hoping to win by playing the best or most attractive way of playing is naive when it gets to semi-finals and finals - then it's all about clawing whatever you can get by whatever means possible

Tipp had the chances to win yesterday - and there is a lot of ifs and what abouts- the ref this the ref that - but Tyrone clawed that win yesterday - by hook or by crook - Ultimately they wanted it more - and just pushed the boundaries that little bit more and succeeded - different day with different weather and a different ref and Tipp might have skinned them but that's just ****e talk - Tyrone won - best of luck to them

Lots of smashing players on show for Tipp yesterday - that defeat might crush some of the tipp lads but there will be four or five of those lads that will be become Top class - and maybe the likes of O'Riordan or O'Brien can become some of the best players in football in a few years

I agree totally but I have never seen a team as dirty as Tyrone yesterday , disappointed the Match Officials couldn`t see it . Tommy Twomey is an excellent coach and Analyst of the game but I don`t think even he expected Tyrone and had the Lads ready for the level of Physicality yesterday .

Some brilliant Lads there , would add Jason Lonergan , Bill and Luke Boland to the other 2 and would also be great to see Philip Quirke make a full recovery and get back , should have been part of this side , he played Senior for Tipp in January 2 years ago v Kerry and done very well .

Firstly, my sincere condolences to the family of the Tipperary supporter that died yesterday. Really does put things into perspective.

Im delighted that the Tyrone family who were in the same predicament simulataneously had a happier outcome. Any Tyrone supporters who i had the pleasure of speaking to on the killester to connolly dart afterwards were a real genuine gracious nice bunch. Sadly it didnt extend to some of the carry on of their players on the field. Forgive them though they are only young lads who were taught no different. They know not what they do.

The persistent timewasting and cynical treatment of Colin O'Riordan are two things i particularly took exception to. However, congrats on their win. It was hard fought game in tough conditions. Im proud of our lads. They died in their boots and left nothing on the field. They are a credit to their mentors and to the county. Tipperary football will approach a beautiful new dawn if they continue in the same vein. When you consider the lads we are missing and then add Seamus Kennedy and even potentially also John Meagher as a possibility down the line into the equation then the future really is rosy.

The ref yesterday had a shocker. He gave frees to Tyrone that werent frees at all. Overall though, the fact we left with everything bar the cup may stand to us more in the future. Im proud of the fact we showed such mental fortitude in the face of adversity. Our Senior hurlers could learn a thing or two from these lads.

i think your taking a very simplistic view of things there. There is a line you just dont cross. I mean do we not encourage children for example to participate in sports to keep them from going off the rails and teaching them the finer values of life like fairness and respect??

Now it seems when they get to a certain age 'its all about winning and no one remembers the losers? I think what we witnessed yesterday was very very distasteful. Im delighted Tipperary didnt sink those levels no matter what the outcome

Do we honestly and whole heartedly believe its ok to reach new lows so long as you go home with the trophy? I mean that if a trophy means so much that a person is willing to degrade themselves so much that they sink to these levels then perhaps its better they keep it and stick it firmly up their arse. Sport should be about fairness, respect and honour but unfortunately with such tribalism and pressure and media driven ignorance the core values are getting lost. The likes of that Mourinho idiot and Mayweather have alot to answer for as well as the media driven world that are lapping up their patheticness. On top of that there was a couple of 6-7 year old kids in front of me yesterday having to hear heckling from both sets of supporters at u21 players taking frees. Society needs to take a step back and see the lunacy that is in front of it. Alot of the various Martial arts organisations for example would throw anyone out who had such a 'win at all costs' attitude

For someone who is such a fan of Eamon O'Shea you are contradicting yourself a bit there. I cant ever imagine Eamon willing to go to these levels for the sake of a trophy and to be honest thank fúck for that. If or when we do win accolades id hope there wouldnt be the question marks about it.

I didn't condone or endorse any kind of behavior?

Nor did I describe the behavior of Tyrone as low?

Defeat can taste bitter - but, I wouldn't have seen any special circumstances yesterday that I would dismiss the performance of Tyrone

That's sport - and ifs and buts don't have a logical application after a whistle is blown. Great conversational points but don't change the result. I don't share your thoughts on Tyrone as possessing low morals or whatever - I've seen plenty of teams as physical as Tyrone yesterday - that's the way football and hurling has gone at that elite level - There is an argument of stopping the persistent fouling on the half way line and half forward line - as Tyrone did due to the conditions and rules - they knew scores wouldn't come too handy from there with that rain... - but., that's up to the GAA to 'tackle' after the fact - Tyrone got the job done - if the ref stamped the fouling out early they probably would have adapted - but that didn't happen

But, the ultimate point i'm making is that Tyrone clawed out that victory in a very methodical and persistent manner - it was negative but effective - whatever way you want to put it - it was effective and i don't think it was down to 'dirt' but measured and defensive football

special players will always receive special attention - and some Tyrone lads also got some very heavy hits yesterday too - i thought Tyrone lost the head a bit and gave us a lot of frees and opportunities the last ten/fifteen minutes - but due to conditions and whatever else - it didn't happen for tipp yesterday

And sometimes the reason for a win or defeat is simplistic - that weather yesterday didn't allow for anything too intricate - it was a game about heart and hunger - and both teams had it in spades in fairness

Sport has always been a simplistic mirror of life - it's never just been about ideals like honor - you always have your villains and heroes - that's just human nature - and humans play the game - that's doesn't mean I'm excusing anyone - but I do see a trend of winners taking every inch possible - when you have someone like katie taylor who can do the business year in year out with class that's special and rare...

Tipp have had many 'characters' on our teams and management throughout the years - that won all-irelands...like any other team

Maybe, I'm contradicting myself - but don't we all - doesn't sport? Sport is ultimately about winning and losing - but its never that's simple - maybe only for the victor- and that's a mindset which can lead to some #physical behavior - particularly if the ref lets it go

Speaking to RTÉ after the game, Toomey was angered by a couple of decisions which he felt went against his side as well as the way in which the Red Hand county went about their business during an absorbing final in Dublin.
    “Of course we’re hurt, we’ve just lost an All-Ireland final,” he said. “But we’ll come back out of it, I’ve no doubt we will. I congratulate Tyrone on their win.
    “Looking at a few bits and pieces from the end of the game and maybe we could have got a draw. But that’s the referee’s decision and that’s how the game is played but how you measure that, I don’t know.”
    The game’s talking point came in the dying embers. Despite referee Fergal Kelly showing Michael Cassidy a second yellow, he stuck with his original decision to give a free out instead of reversing it.
    Paul Maher is tackled by Kieran McGeary Toomey believes his side were victims of continuous fouling at Parnell Park
    Source: Cathal Noonan/INPHO
    “The referee will have to offer an explanation but they don’t do they? Retaliation or whatever was done on the player after the whistle is blown, the referee usually throws up the ball but in this case he didn’t,” Toomey added.
    Tempers flared on more than once occasion and Toomey believes his side were the victims of foul play throughout although he denied there was any incident after the game.
    “All along in front of us, I saw our players being hit and pushed and dragged. That to me is a different way to play football than we would.
    “I shook Fergal’s [Logan] hand on the field of play, just there and I waited for him when his players were coming into the dressing room late and we were leaving. We didn’t want an incident and it was as simple as that, we left.
    “That’s the way they play but look you’re not going to force me to make any sort of explanation on this. What I see is what I see on the field of play and everyone else sees it as well.
    “That’s all I’m saying about it. At the end of the game, in the the last 10 minutes, Tyrone are experts at winding the clock down at goading people and that’s my opinion and I’ll stick to that.”

Speaking to RTÉ after the game, Toomey was angered by a couple of decisions which he felt went against his side as well as the way in which the Red Hand county went about their business during an absorbing final in Dublin.
    “Of course we’re hurt, we’ve just lost an All-Ireland final,” he said. “But we’ll come back out of it, I’ve no doubt we will. I congratulate Tyrone on their win.
    “Looking at a few bits and pieces from the end of the game and maybe we could have got a draw. But that’s the referee’s decision and that’s how the game is played but how you measure that, I don’t know.”
    The game’s talking point came in the dying embers. Despite referee Fergal Kelly showing Michael Cassidy a second yellow, he stuck with his original decision to give a free out instead of reversing it.
    Paul Maher is tackled by Kieran McGeary Toomey believes his side were victims of continuous fouling at Parnell Park
    Source: Cathal Noonan/INPHO
    “The referee will have to offer an explanation but they don’t do they? Retaliation or whatever was done on the player after the whistle is blown, the referee usually throws up the ball but in this case he didn’t,” Toomey added.
    Tempers flared on more than once occasion and Toomey believes his side were the victims of foul play throughout although he denied there was any incident after the game.
    “All along in front of us, I saw our players being hit and pushed and dragged. That to me is a different way to play football than we would.
    “I shook Fergal’s [Logan] hand on the field of play, just there and I waited for him when his players were coming into the dressing room late and we were leaving. We didn’t want an incident and it was as simple as that, we left.
    “That’s the way they play but look you’re not going to force me to make any sort of explanation on this. What I see is what I see on the field of play and everyone else sees it as well.
    “That’s all I’m saying about it. At the end of the game, in the the last 10 minutes, Tyrone are experts at winding the clock down at goading people and that’s my opinion and I’ll stick to that.”

He's dead right. That number 9 was 'dying' on a number of occasions and yet made a miraculous recovery on each occasion. There is being cute about winning and then their is grabbing lads by the nutsack off the ball. Colin O'Riordan was targetted on numerous occasions and took two heavy clatters. And yet the ref spotted a few 'phantom' fouls on our part :rolleyes:

I honestly dont think we could have done any more then we did yesterday. Admittedly Tyrone probably coped better with the slippery conditions but it was sheer luck that we ended up losing. I've seen lesser quality Tipperary teams in both codes across the board in the past managing to win such tight games. This crop are fine the way they are. They lack absolutely nothing and have spirit in surplus. Many other days they would have won handy

Colm Cooper's arm was left covered in bite marks after a match being marked by a high profile corner back from Tyrone. Tyrone won the game and of course that's all that matters apparently.

Who said that?

It's probably all that matters to Ryan McMenamin alright...

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/football/ryan-mcmenamin-clears-up-infamous-clashes-with-kerry-star-colm-cooper-323235.html

"The 2005 All Star admits he would have landed himself in trouble with the authorities had he extended his on-field behaviour off it. “It’s been said to me a lot of times ‘You’re nothing like the b***** you are on the field’. I’m big enough to know that if I went on like that in real life, I would probably be in jail somewhere, that’s the reality of it.”

McMenamin rues dropping his knees on John McEntee during the 2005 Ulster final replay when he was fortunate to only pick up a yellow card. “The game was going away from us and I probably did something I kinda regret, and it caused a bit of a fury over the thing. It boils down to frustration. I phoned John and I apologised to John.

“It was my style of play that I wanted to win everything that was out in front of me and I probably went too intense. I probably did cross the line. I’m big enough to hold my hands up and say ‘I did wrong’ and rightly so and I got punished.”

McMenamin was retrospectively banned for four weeks arising from the incident but was cleared after Tyrone brought his case to the Disputes Resolution Authority."

Cheating often gets rewarded or punished - that's just life. Is that all that matters? no. it's just the way it is.

Loughnane wrote off Tipp hurlers tonight as to be forever nearly men

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Loughnane wrote off Tipp hurlers tonight as to be forever nearly men

Loughnane is right, the Tipperary camp must be very unsettled after the nature of Paul Curran's going.

Where are all these psychologists who could not pull him aside and tell say to him " thanks Paul but I do not think you are going to make it this year" rather than have him come out the day after he was dropped from the panel and announce his own retirement.

Prove me wrong but the hurlers are in for a short season.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Xenophile wrote: »
    Loughnane is right, the Tipperary camp must be very unsettled after the nature of Paul Curran's going.

Where are all these psychologists who could not pull him aside and tell say to him " thanks Paul but I do not think you are going to make it this year" rather than have him come out the day after he was dropped from the panel and announce his own retirement.

Prove me wrong but the hurlers are in for a short season.

Are you for real? You posted at 436 so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.:)
    I know the general tone of the thread is to praise Paul curran, fair enough. But waffle like "hard to replace"? Cmon. He was didn't play any championship last year. As things stood -last year,Barry and Barrett were fantastic- he wasn't gonna keep Barry out. I never held him in the high esteem some of you hold him but at the moment he's not good enough. Why would eos drop him otherwise? Spite? How do you know how eos handled the thing. Obviously he took him aside for "the chat".

How you can say we're in for a short season due to the loss of one player who was at best peripheral last season is ridiculous. They came within a few inches of landing the all Ireland :rolleyes: bizarre

• Registered Users Posts: 17,992 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Lads the hour at half time completely killed our momentum. Not sure who's decision it was to come out at half time and run around in the rain for 15 minutes before running back in but it was a huge mistake. When tyrone finally came back out for the second half they were like lions. I was behind the goal watching their warm up! Our lads sauntered out and up the field. We never really got going in the second half and ref was keeping us in the game with some sort Frees. Tipps legs seemed to be gone 10 minutes into the second half. Tyrone just seemed to be able to challenge harder, run faster. Movement in the forwards was poor and we didn't seem to know what to do with once we Crossed their 45 meter line. Good effort all the same.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

A tiny bit harsh about not knowing what to do - but Tyrone certainly knew what to do in a cynical way - they wouldn't let us past the 45 = frees all the time and packed defence. It worked. But the weather was atrocious which made any intricate forward play impossible - we had the chances though - tipp definitely finished the game stronger

digzy wrote: »
    Are you for real? You posted at 436 so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.:)
    I know the general tone of the thread is to praise Paul curran, fair enough. But waffle like "hard to replace"? Cmon. He was didn't play any championship last year. As things stood -last year,Barry and Barrett were fantastic- he wasn't gonna keep Barry out. I never held him in the high esteem some of you hold him but at the moment he's not good enough. Why would eos drop him otherwise? Spite? How do you know how eos handled the thing. Obviously he took him aside for "the chat".

How you can say we're in for a short season due to the loss of one player who was at best peripheral last season is ridiculous. They came within a few inches of landing the all Ireland :rolleyes: bizarre

Could be in a different Time Zone ;) .

I see there were pamphlets being handed out on the way up to Semple Stadium yesterday with Kieran Bergin endorsing a No vote in the Gay Marriage referendum. I've no issue with him supporting any particular side but I don't think an image of him in a Tipp jersey should have been used. The County Board will hardly be too impressed with this situation.

Rasputin11 wrote: »
    I see there were pamphlets being handed out on the way up to Semple Stadium yesterday with Kieran Bergin endorsing a No vote in the Gay Marriage referendum. I've no issue with him supporting any particular side but I don't think an image of him in a Tipp jersey should have been used. The County Board will hardly be too impressed with this situation.

Tbh I've no interest in the referendum and I'll spoil my vote if I bother voting but while I can see why someone would campaign for a yes I've no idea why someone would campaign for a no.

He's old enough to have enough sense to stay out of it.

Could be in a different Time Zone ;) .

Possibly but a different planet was what I was thinking....!

I didn't see the game. But I think our manager while justifiably aggrieved by all accounts might be better off keeping a lid on it. Won't achieve anything.
    I've no time for the antics of the Tyrone lads described but whether we like it or not that's football now. Either the refs step up, we give up or.....we need to dish it back.

It's one of the things I hate most about GAA -the off the ball stuff. You'd imagine players would want it stamped out but all we hear from most players is 'ya don't wanna see physicality taken outa de game"

• Advertisement

Surprised at Bergin - what if some of his teammates or their family members are gay? Strange risk to take - he's entitled to his opinion but...politics and sport shouldn't mix in that kind of manner. And, I'd agree, not in a Tipp jersey

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement