Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

that john o neill was some lethal minor. thought he'd be a cert to step up to senior...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,992 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Are there rules regarding which county you play for or is this effectively a free transfer system?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

Knee injuries put paid to that, unfortunately.

whoa - that's some spanking

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

You left out the rest of the sentence ;). Don`t think it`s ridiculous at all, what is ridiculous is you defending him when you dont go to Tipp games and see him play! I was at 3 games that I can think of that year we were in D2 and once again cant remember him standing out. I have mentioned other things not just in that Post but in other Posts also where he is not a good Footballer, you failed to comment on them. Have also mentioned his few strengths. All in all he has served a purpose in an era of change but there are a lot of lads out there now way better than him.

Surprised the Aussie Rules boys werent queuing up for him after the Under 17 series :D .
    Whats you're agenda against George? You constantly are dismissing him yet no/few others/
    As I said ive seen him play club ball and some county games. And criticising him as not good enough for never standing out in a game well if those are the standards to meet no players are good enough or virtually none are as you cant stand out in every single game. If there is a lot of lads who are way better than him where are they? Why are they not all selected ahead of him? Why if there is a lot of lads way better than him is he still selected in the squad and not dropped from the squad
    As for your idiotic final comment :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

Comfortable wins for Loughmore and Roscrea today against Holycross and Toomevara respectively.

Rasputin11 wrote: »
    Comfortable wins for Loughmore and Roscrea today against Holycross and Toomevara respectively.

They seem to be putting a decent little team together with Tynan and i also like the look of Conlon (Very Corbett-esque style about him) :)

digzy wrote: »
    that john o neill was some lethal minor. thought he'd be a cert to step up to senior...

Nailer didnt have the physicality just like Shane Bourke, Timmy Hammersley, Mikey Heffernan, Seamus Butler or Evan Sweeney before him which paints Tipperary hurling in a bad light really given how Shane O'Donnell weathered such a heavy challenge last Sunday and managed to pop the equaliser over the bar and also given how Richie hogan excels in the Kilkenny setup

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

They seem to be putting a decent little team together with Tynan and i also like the look of Conlon (Very Corbett-esque style about him) :)

Conlon had a fine game, he was involved in a huge amount of the scores. Tynan came on in the second half and did well, I think he's gone back in with the minor footballers too.

• Site Banned Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Spirit of 67

Rasputin11 wrote: »
    Conlon had a fine game, he was involved in a huge amount of the scores. Tynan came on in the second half and did well, I think he's gone back in with the minor footballers too.

Great addition if so , will find out for sure later .

• Advertisement

Whats you're agenda against George? You constantly are dismissing him yet no/few others/
    As I said ive seen him play club ball and some county games. And criticising him as not good enough for never standing out in a game well if those are the standards to meet no players are good enough or virtually none are as you cant stand out in every single game. If there is a lot of lads who are way better than him where are they? Why are they not all selected ahead of him? Why if there is a lot of lads way better than him is he still selected in the squad and not dropped from the squad
    As for your idiotic final comment :pac:

No agenda , it was mentioned by someone else here a couple of days ago how they were surprised that he is starting today , I as I`m entitled to do gave my opinion . There are lads way better than him that`s why the subject was brought up in the first place , Ian Fahey for one . I have no problem with him in the Squad but in my opinion there are better options .

As for my final comment in my previous Post , it was in jest , but as seen here quite often you don`t have a sense of humour so you wouldn`t get it ! If your looking for an idiotic comment go back about 6 months ago to the one you made stating that Roscrea play Rugby in Leinster because their Pitch is in Leinster , so wrong on so many levels :D . . .

No agenda, it was mentioned by someone else here a couple of days ago how they were surprised that he is starting today, I as Im entitled to do gave my opinion. There are lads way better than him thats why the subject was brought up in the first place, Ian Fahey for one. I have no problem with him in the Squad but in my opinion there are better options.

As for my final comment in my previous Post, it was in jest, but as seen here quite often you don`t have a sense of humour so you wouldnt get it! If your looking for an idiotic comment go back about 6 months ago to the one you made stating that Roscrea play Rugby in Leinster because their Pitch is in Leinster, so wrong on so many levels :D . . .
    You clearly do have an agenda against him. If there supposedly was lads way better than him. where are they? Why have they not been consistently starting ahead of him? Why has GH always been picked by a stream of coaching teams?

Cistercian Roscrea play rugby in Leinster as pitches/ground are in Leinster while club plays up in Leinster and virtually always has though It does/has competed in some Tipperary cup competitions

You clearly do have an agenda against him. If there supposedly was lads way better than him. where are they? Why have they not been consistently starting ahead of him? Why has GH always been picked by a stream of coaching teams?

Cistercian Roscrea play rugby in Leinster as pitches/ground are in Leinster while club plays up in Leinster and virtually always has though It does/has competed in some Tipperary cup competitions

Once again no Agenda , just don`t rate him as a Tipp player , 3 easy chances today unmarked , kicked one missed two , fielding was poor , overall work rate very good , can you compare him to quality Players like Acheson ( a constant performer who would get on any Inter County Team ) , O`Brien , Fox or O`Riordan . . . . no way . How currently he gets on the Tipp Team is beyond me ! Badger Lonergan was superb when he came on , a real Star in the making , hopefully he starts against Kerry .

Cistercian yes but we weren`t discussing them , it was Roscrea RFC ;) .

Once again no Agenda, just dont rate him as a Tipp player, 3 easy chances today unmarked, kicked one missed two, fielding was poor, overall work rate very good, can you compare him to quality Players like Acheson (a constant performer who would get on any Inter County Team), O'Brien, Fox or O`Riordan . . . . no way. How currently he gets on the Tipp Team is beyond me! Badger Lonergan was superb when he came on, a real Star in the making, hopefully he starts against Kerry.

Cistercian yes but we weren`t discussing them, it was Roscrea RFC ;) .
    You clearly do have some sort of agenda the way you go on about him. He plays centre field so while scoring is important its not entirely vital if he provides for others to score and has a strong work load which does that. cant totally comment but if his general work rate was good and he provides for the guys in front of him to get the scores and keeps a strong defensive effort then what is the problem?
    All the coaches over a considerable number of years have consistently picked him and I would trust their viewpoint over you every day of the week

Clubmate of O'Riordan was telling me that his hip was at him the last while. He went off today which is a real blow especially with Kerry on the horizon

I think O'Neill - had a squatter body shape than those other lads - he turned fantastically - a lot of knee injuries though put paid to that sharp turn (and he likes to enjoy himself!).

Hammersly, i think, was strong enough. No pace though...

Seamus Butler was an outstanding club hurler - but he waited for mistakes and punished people. Didn't win his own ball - people don't make that many mistakes at inter-county level - thus, he never made the impact that his club form warranted. He had a better inter-county career than the rest of those lads though!

I think O'Neill - had a squatter body shape than those other lads - he turned fantastically - a lot of knee injuries though put paid to that sharp turn (and he likes to enjoy himself!).

Hammersly, i think, was strong enough. No pace though...

Seamus Butler was an outstanding club hurler - but he waited for mistakes and punished people. Didn't win his own ball - people don't make that many mistakes at inter-county level - thus, he never made the impact that his club form warranted. He had a better inter-county career than the rest of those lads though!

I dunno though i think there is a 'gun shyness' about some of our forwards in recent years. Its only in recent times that Seamie and Noelie have become battle hardened and perhaps it could be argued that Lar should be more primed for it given his vast experience

I seen Clare last year and while they are far from being the standard bearers at the moment ill admit that for the few small forwards they have we could certainly learn from them with regards to the ferocity some of them play with. If they have a fault its perhaps that they are ill disciplined but that is due to the nature of their manager. Im a big big fan of O'Donnell though. I think he is a very grounded young man, stylish hurler, lethal finisher, great workrate and a hardy little goat by the looks of things.

Clubmate of O'Riordan was telling me that his hip was at him the last while. He went off today which is a real blow especially with Kerry on the horizon

Talking to a lad at today's game, felt we'd it won after 15 mins! You'd imagine that o Ríordán would be brought off earlier if he'd an injury given we've Kerry on the horizon. I doubt we'll beat them but I'd like to think we'd give them a rattle and finish within 5 points of them.

perhaps it could be argued that Lar should be more primed for it given his vast experience

Given lar's age I doubt his game will change much at this stage. I've said it before here, skilful players like him make the game. Unfortunately the modern game is bloody physical and he's been exposed a few times
    Thought he was finished last year but fair play to him for his performance in the drawn all Ireland.

Just shows the magnificent achievement of lads like Richie hogan. Skilful players who can mix it up.

Talking to a lad at today's game, felt we'd it won after 15 mins! You'd imagine that o Ríordán would be brought off earlier if he'd an injury given we've Kerry on the horizon. I doubt we'll beat them but I'd like to think we'd give them a rattle and finish within 5 points of them.

To be honest i think we can pull it off this time. We're ready and able. O'Riordan will be a huge blow but if we dont stand up to Kerry now when will we stand up to them? We have to go in and believe in ourselves and our ability. We ran them close in 10 and 12 in the stadium (we should have won in 12) and we were just short fitness wise in 11.

We have home advantage and Tipp football is on the up. We very nearly beat Cork in their own backyard last year. I wouldnt be fazed by Kerry. Yes they are a stylish team but we have every bit as good in the tank. Their time is done. Our time is now.

We need a massive turnout at the stadium. The lads deserve it. Up Tipp!

• Advertisement

Given lar's age I doubt his game will change much at this stage. I've said it before here, skilful players like him make the game. Unfortunately the modern game is bloody physical and he's been exposed a few times
    Thought he was finished last year but fair play to him for his performance in the drawn all Ireland.

Just shows the magnificent achievement of lads like Richie hogan. Skilful players who can mix it up.

Its a pity that the focus is shifting to stopping the opposition from playing rather than going out expressing your natural game. Westside is correct when he says that footballs disease is effecting hurling.

Its a pity that the focus is shifting to stopping the opposition from playing rather than going out expressing your natural game. Westside is correct when he says that footballs disease is effecting hurling.
    How would you change/shift the focus to improve/help hurling and football?

So we beat Waterford by 22 points, 1-24 to 0-5. How will we do against Kerry?

How would you change/shift the focus to improve/help hurling and football?

So we beat Waterford by 22 points, 1-24 to 0-5. How will we do against Kerry?

Hard to know really. The 13 aside rule has been proposed but im wondering whether we are throwing the baby out with the bath water a bit there. Would more emphasis on first time ground hurling free things up a bit?if the ball is constantly moving then it proves difficult to play a blanket defence. Perhaps its a question of finding ways to move the ball quicker. You wont see a John Fenton style strike now where a lad is prepared to go for the juggler and strike it off the ground. Tony Keady made a great point when he compared the current Galway generation to his own. "Lads bursting with muscles but cant hit a ball forty yards"

I don't think there is much wrong with hurling or with Tipp's forwards. We've had some cracking games - hurling has never been better from where I'm looking.

Yes, we've been on the wrong side of results in all-ireland finals and in first round. But, KK have proven themselves to be one of the best teams to ever compete. That's just tough ****. And, if the measuring tape for some of the Tipp performances is against KK backs well then they've come up short more times than not. But, so has everyone else. I think our Tipp forwards are not too far off it at all - proved last year - They've been giving magnificent performances at times - crushing teams. Just not KK or Limerick in recent times - still got further than Limerick though, last year.

Keady's talking ****e - Joe Canning would hit a ball a hundred yards!!! As would a few more - Galway are a good team. One of the better ones. Tipp are a great team too, just not as good as KK over the last decade. That's just the way it is. We're not that far off at all...

The criticism can be too over the top at times - and, I'm just as guilty as anyone on that score. No doubts about it.

As for improving the game...maybe the size of thurles and croker pitches should become the standard. Some smaller fields around the place - gaelic grounds, ennis, parnell, and nowlan....and some teams have been know to shorten the sideline!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've seen Lar dish it out at club level... - and his performances against most teams have been great. Even against KK, especially 2009, 2010, and a few other years. KK always fear him. But, yeah, they've dished it out to him - does that mean he's mentally weak or physically not strong - i don't think so. It just means KK have beaten him up a few times in finals. Maybe, that's a reffing issue...

Great enthusiasm - I hope you're right. I'd LOVE to see it!!!!!!!!! Jesus, that would be unbelievable!

Keady's talking ****e - Joe Canning would hit a ball a hundred yards!!! As would a few more - Galway are a good team. One of the better ones. Tipp are a great team too, just not as good as KK over the last decade. That's just the way it is. We're not that far off at all...

The criticism can be too over the top at times - and, I'm just as guilty as anyone on that score. No doubts about it.

As for improving the game...maybe the size of thurles and croker pitches should become the standard. Some smaller fields around the place - gaelic grounds, ennis, parnell, and nowlan....and some teams have been know to shorten the sideline!!!!!!!!!!!!

To be fair to Keady i dont think he was making a sweeping generalisation but rather saying that some coaches are placing too much emphasis on fitness and stats these times. When he was playing it was all stickwork. These times you'd accept the perfect balance has to be sought and i think both Tipperary and Kilkenny find this balance. Dublin are a good sample of what Keady is referring to. Under Daly at times you'd wonder did they pick a stick up on the day for the first time that year. Cork are the other extreme are completely forgetting about the more physical side of the game.

Good point re-Keady!

Dublin kind of have this heads up soccer style of playing hurling - it's kind of innate to them. They just don't let it flow...

Hard to know really. The 13 aside rule has been proposed but im wondering whether we are throwing the baby out with the bath water a bit there. Would more emphasis on first time ground hurling free things up a bit?if the ball is constantly moving then it proves difficult to play a blanket defence. Perhaps its a question of finding ways to move the ball quicker. You wont see a John Fenton style strike now where a lad is prepared to go for the juggler and strike it off the ground. Tony Keady made a great point when he compared the current Galway generation to his own. "Lads bursting with muscles but cant hit a ball forty yards"
    More of letting it fly would help as ball/groups players gets sucked up and how can you change things especially your last sentence? What would you do abut guys who cant do that?
    How would you make those kind of pitches the norm? Simply not possible for most venues. Its just not possible for all pitches to be same size. Making pitches bigger isn't the answer. Look to rules of game/how game is officiated

• Advertisement

Good point re-Keady!

Dublin kind of have this heads up soccer style of playing hurling - it's kind of innate to them. They just don't let it flow...

Ger Cunningham is the right man for Dublin because he comes from that culture down in Cork where there is huge emphasis on stickwork and skill. Ive seen improvements in them this year but their underage setup has stalled recently. In order to get Dublin up and running again they need to claim an underage title.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement