Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2015

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

Pitch size is a regulation in most sports

Standard pitch measurements. Not all pitches are the same size, though the preferred size for many professional teams' stadiums is 105 by 68 metres (115 yd × 74 yd) with an area of 7,140 square metres (1.76 acres). Old Trafford is this size, with other pitches' size a slight variation (Stamford Bridge, Santiago Bernabeu, La Bombonera)

IN rugby not all pitches are the same size either. However, they do have to be a certain size. The length of a pitch must be between 100 yards (90m) and 130 yards (120m) and the width not less than 50 yards (45m) and not more than 100 yards (90m).

The rules are fine to me - how it's officiated from time to time is another thing - but this is an amateur sport and the refs are amateur.

It's also tough for them to compete with football - a lot of their underage hurling stars go to football and then when they try to come back if they don't make it - they've lost out on valuable experience and growth, playing catch up

Martin McHugh suggested a champions league format for football?

Grand, but what would that do to the club game?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Pitch size is a regulation in most sports
    Standard pitch measurements. Not all pitches are the same size, though the preferred size for many professional teams' stadiums is 105 by 68 metres (115 yd × 74 yd) with an area of 7,140 square metres (1.76 acres). Old Trafford is this size, with other pitches' size a slight variation (Stamford Bridge, Santiago Bernabeu, La Bombonera)

IN rugby not all pitches are the same size either. However, they do have to be a certain size. The length of a pitch must be between 100 yards (90m) and 130 yards (120m) and the width not less than 50 yards (45m) and not more than 100 yards (90m).

The rules are fine to me - how it's officiated from time to time is another thing - but this is an amateur sport and the refs are amateur.
    Pitch regulation exists in the GAA. There is regulations surrounding min/max width/length so how can you make a larger pitch the standard when for the top level which is where I assume you want it most it just wont be possible with current stadiums.
    Are the rules really fine?
    What would you like to change about how officials run the game? Just curious as I referee in another sport and we get remunerated much less for normal club games than referees in the GAA... What would you like done to improve/change officiating

It's also tough for them to compete with football - a lot of their underage hurling stars go to football and then when they try to come back if they don't make it - they've lost out on valuable experience and growth, playing catch up

Shane Ryan, Dotsy and Conal Keaney being prime examples of what you are referring to. They could have been the main hurling men all along but were small fish in the big football pond. It works the opposite way in our own county. Some are better footballers then hurlers but its hard to know what will draw them in the end. Id imagine Colin will stick with football although i would like to see him line out for the hurlers at some stage.

• Advertisement

Something would have to give. The league would become pretty much margianalised and the winter competitions would have to be canned id imagine. Amateur athletes just wouldnt have the capacity to play all those games for club and county per season.

Counties would have to act and ensure clubs play proper and adequate number of club games in summer months which doesn't happen. If counties cant provide in summer months enough championship games for players there is a punishment/slap on wrists from hq.
    Something would have to give. The league would become pretty much margianalised and the winter competitions would have to be canned id imagine. Amateur athletes just wouldnt have the capacity to play all those games for club and county per season.
    Not if league was changed. Don't play league and championship one after the other. Change things up and provide a countrywide blueprint for fixtures that must be kept or penalties are imposed in one form or another on those who break the conditions.
    Many of these players already play a ridiculous number of games and train an even more ridiculous amount. Perhaps if number of games increased how teams train and prepare would change for the better?

More of letting it fly would help as ball/groups players gets sucked up and how can you change things especially your last sentence? What would you do abut guys who cant do that?

Well if we can get the game back to a place where the elite players can stand out and nullify the 'athletes' then it could help buck the trend. The last two years Tony Kelly and Richie Hogan have stood out. O'Shea is sort of bucking the trend but Tipp need to hit the high notes before we can overcome the bunchers. Anything less then 100% and the knifes are out

Well if we can get the game back to a place where the elite players can stand out and nullify the 'athletes' then it could help buck the trend. The last two years Tony Kelly and Richie Hogan have stood out. O'Shea is sort of bucking the trend but Tipp need to hit the high notes before we can overcome the bunchers. Anything less then 100% and the knifes are out
    What exactly is an "elite player" compared to an "athlete"? How would you propose to change the game for things to change for what you think is the better?

Steven O'Brien would make a fine addition to the hurlers too...

• Advertisement

You can add Bubbles and Callanan to that

Yes, the rules are fine. The refs are amatuer, i don't really see the point of imposing anything or see how it can be fixed without making them professional. Its a case of allowing them more time to perfect their craft - like with anything else. I think HG don't help them a lot with a lot of rule changes or making rules which are ambiguous. For some GAA fitness is an issue, but listen, again, they're amateurs.

I also think refs could get more protection from HQ and county boards - some get awful abuse from players - especially at club games. A lot of pressure on refs from teams and sideline individuals....

Pitches can be widened - no problem - just a case of putting down more turf - even five meters would add a lot of space. Sitting my suffer - but jesus it's not like many stadiums are being filled these days unless it gets to the business end of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,058 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

i dont agree infact i would be all for a 3 tier divisions of 12 teams in a knock out basis

i also didnt agree about the george hennigan argument , as someone who has seen plenty of tipp football over the years all i can say is we would be happy to have him, i think he is a top class midfielder he pretty much destroyed gary brennan in the league , it probably goes to show the embarrassment of riches ye have at the moment in both codes , but good and all the team is i fear they wont do enough to break the mold in munster . i still feel there is too much emphasis on hurling for them to succeed in the county

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Paddico

Good solid win for the footballers yesterday.
    Terrible attendance though.

I thought they might break the 3000 mark.

Yes, the rules are fine. The refs are amatuer, i don't really see the point of imposing anything or see how it can be fixed without making them professional. Its a case of allowing them more time to perfect their craft - like with anything else. I think HG don't help them a lot with a lot of rule changes or making rules which are ambiguous. For some GAA fitness is an issue, but listen, again, they're amateurs.

I also think refs could get more protection from HQ and county boards - some get awful abuse from players - especially at club games. A lot of pressure on refs from teams and sideline individuals....

Pitches can be widened - no problem - just a case of putting down more turf - even five meters would add a lot of space. Sitting my suffer - but jesus it's not like many stadiums are being filled these days unless it gets to the business end of things.
    Referees are paid, get treated horribly by all - in media, by coaches/players/supporters.
    What rules are you referring to that are ambiguous?
    When you say allow them more time? Where would you allow this? What do you want seen done?
    Changing the rules of the game to aid officials while improving the spectacle of the game is a good thing.
    When you talk about more protection from HQ etc what do want HQ/County Boards to do?

How can pitches be widened no problem? How much do you want pitches widened? Most top stadiums don't have the space to widen pitches too much? There isn't the room with spectator areas so close to pitch.

• Site Banned Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Spirit of 67

You clearly do have some sort of agenda the way you go on about him. He plays centre field so while scoring is important its not entirely vital if he provides for others to score and has a strong work load which does that. cant totally comment but if his general work rate was good and he provides for the guys in front of him to get the scores and keeps a strong defensive effort then what is the problem?
    All the coaches over a considerable number of years have consistently picked him and I would trust their viewpoint over you every day of the week

Stop with the Agenda nonsense , I will discuss any Tipp Footballer and rate them as I see fit . I don`t follow/go to Tipp Hurley games so I don`t get involved in those debates on here . The lad is poor for a big strong fellow , not good enough for the level we want to get to !

You have to trust the Tipp coaches as you don`t see the Team play :rolleyes: . Those that do , the majority anyway have never taken to him . Does anyone know if he has ever been on a Railway Cup Panel ?

See you avoided the Roscrea RFC point as you were caught out spoofing :D .

Paddico wrote: »
    Good solid win for the footballers yesterday.
    Terrible attendance though.

I thought they might break the 3000 mark.

True but a few more than what would normally be there . Had it been in Clonmel you wouldn`t have got quarter that attendance .

To be honest i think we can pull it off this time. We're ready and able. O'Riordan will be a huge blow but if we dont stand up to Kerry now when will we stand up to them? We have to go in and believe in ourselves and our ability. We ran them close in 10 and 12 in the stadium (we should have won in 12) and we were just short fitness wise in 11.

We have home advantage and Tipp football is on the up. We very nearly beat Cork in their own backyard last year. I wouldnt be fazed by Kerry. Yes they are a stylish team but we have every bit as good in the tank. Their time is done. Our time is now.

We need a massive turnout at the stadium. The lads deserve it. Up Tipp!

Confident here too , thought the Team yesterday were a lot fitter and sharper than in the League , wonder did Creedon plan it so they would peak for the Championship and held them back a little in the League

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Paddico

Confident here too , thought the Team yesterday were a lot fitter and sharper than in the League , wonder did Creedon plan it so they would peak for the Championship and held them back a little in the League

I think they are much fitter but then the same applies to all the other teams in terms of fitness from league through to championship. Waterford were completely off on Sunday and Tipp got off to a great start which they kept going.
    I truly believe beating Kerry this year is achievable but everything needs to be right. From been clinical up front, sharpness and confidence of players to even that ol phrase of getting a lucky break of the ball. This is the making of winning and losing but I believe this current Tipp team has the ability to cause a major upset in two weeks time and has the confidence from underage wins as well.
    Bring on the Kingdom I say!

• Advertisement

Stop with the Agenda nonsense, I will discuss any Tipp Footballer and rate them as I see fit. I dont follow/go to Tipp Hurley games so I dont get involved in those debates on here . The lad is poor for a big strong fellow, not good enough for the level we want to get to!

You have to trust the Tipp coaches as you don`t see the Team play :rolleyes:. Those that do, the majority anyway have never taken to him . Does anyone know if he has ever been on a Railway Cup Panel?

See you avoided the Roscrea RFC point as you were caught out spoofing :D.
    He is poor:pac:. Now who's spoofing. You have the right to an opinion but when you refuse to see anything other than an ignorant one eyed view well......
    How many Tipperary players have made Railway cup squads over the years.

You have to trust the Tipperary coaches as they see him much more than you or I. They are much more qualified to make decisions on his selection than you/I. He has never let the county down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Jesus lads, I wouldn't know George hannigan from George friend but I'll have to watch out for him now. The Sunday game commentator referred to him as superb in the Waterford game.

Paddico wrote: »
    I think they are much fitter but then the same applies to all the other teams in terms of fitness from league through to championship. Waterford were completely off on Sunday and Tipp got off to a great start which they kept going.
    I truly believe beating Kerry this year is achievable but everything needs to be right. From been clinical up front, sharpness and confidence of players to even that ol phrase of getting a lucky break of the ball. This is the making of winning and losing but I believe this current Tipp team has the ability to cause a major upset in two weeks time and has the confidence from underage wins as well.
    Bring on the Kingdom I say!

They were a lot sharper on Sunday though . The thing I was concerned about during the League was the lack of goals and goal scoring chances compared to what they were creating last year . Back on form v Waterford , made a good few but missed them , Foxes effort would have been one of the goals of the year had it gone in !

He is poor:pac:. Now who's spoofing. You have the right to an opinion but when you refuse to see anything other than an ignorant one eyed view well......
    How many Tipperary players have made Railway cup squads over the years.

You have to trust the Tipperary coaches as they see him much more than you or I. They are much more qualified to make decisions on his selection than you/I. He has never let the county down.

How is it spoofing when I`m giving an honest opinion , unlike yourself making stuff up and getting exposed ;) . I have mentioned his strengths , so to say I`m ignorant is desperate .

Why are you so defensive ? It was a genuine question I asked about him being involved in the Railway Cup as I can`t find anything online , brilliant if he has been part of a Munster Panel .

As for not letting the County down , o.k. he turns up on the day ,what he puts in is something else ! I sit with/go to games with the same bunch of lads , when George gets the ball there does be some funny comments , when he does something good the comments are positive in a funny way , great craic though :D .

How is it spoofing when I`m giving an honest opinion, unlike yourself making stuff up and getting exposed ;). I have mentioned his strengths, so to say Im ignorant is desperate.

Why are you so defensive? It was a genuine question I asked about him being involved in the Railway Cup as I can`t find anything online, brilliant if he has been part of a Munster Panel.

As for not letting the County down, o.k. he turns up on the day, what he puts in is something else! I sit with/go to games with the same bunch of lads, when George gets the ball there does be some funny comments, when he does something good the comments are positive in a funny way great craic though :D.
    You are giving an opinion based on f all evidence. why cant you stop putting a space between all commas, etc as its easier to read your posts without all the spaces!

I disagree completely with what is being said about his ability. The alternatives aren't better than him as if they were he wouldn't consistently be picked on the team.

You are giving an opinion based on f all evidence. why cant you stop putting a space between all commas, etc as its easier to read your posts without all the spaces!

I disagree completely with what is being said about his ability. The alternatives aren't better than him as if they were he wouldn't consistently be picked on the team.

:D:D:D . . . ah Jesus your struggling to read the Posts because of the spaces :D:D:D .

I go to games and witness this average Player , evidence enough for me . The better alternative is to stick Colin in Midfield and Ian Fahey or Jason Lonergan Half Forward . . . simples

digzy wrote: »
    Jesus lads, I wouldn't know George hannigan from George friend but I'll have to watch out for him now. The Sunday game commentator referred to him as superb in the Waterford game.

You`ll spot him easily enough , big Ginger Hoor , pays Midfield for the County . Sunday Game Commentator is an idiot , said at one stage that O`Brien had a shot that went over the bar when he actually had a blast for a goal and the Keeper saved it :rolleyes: !

• Registered Users Posts: 17,992 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Lads I think you're just going to have to agree to disagree. By all accounts the guy played well at the weekend. Just move on.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 247 ✭✭primary 2

any truth in the rumours i heard lately that pauric maher,james barry and cathail barett are big doubts for the limerick game,i even heard maher could be in trouble for the championship?

• Advertisement

:D:D:D . . . ah Jesus your struggling to read the Posts because of the spaces :D:D:D .
    All im asking for is for things to be easier. What's wrong with that. Don't be such a dick about it.
    I go to games and witness this average Player, evidence enough for me. The better alternative is to stick Colin in Midfield and Ian Fahey or Jason Lonergan Half Forward . . . simples[/QUOTEIf it was so easy then surely the Tipperary management would have done that already. The Tipperary coaching team clearly know more than you or I and haven't done that so maybe George is much better than you think
    primary 2 wrote: »
    any truth in the rumours i heard lately that pauric maher, james barry and cathal barett are big doubts for the limerick game,i even heard maher could be in trouble for the championship?
    Heard Maher is out for Limerick and who knows for what ever else we've to play this summer but hadn't heard anything on the others

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement