Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭buggy beag

Good points.maybe it could be marketed better then posters,radio announcements,could schools have organised a bus trip up etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Xenophile

buggy beag wrote: »
    Who sets the prices for tickets ?if the ticket prices were halved would you get alot more to go?

I note that your comment is in the form of a question ! And it has been well answered above. Prices are well affordable, consider how much it will cost for fans coming from Killarney to put fuel in the car and in many cases pay for a meal out on the day! Kerry fans will still travel and I hope they will go home happy even if they lose as the back door is always there for them.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Paddico

Xenophile wrote: »
    The sad fact is that there will be more Kerry supporters in Thurles on Sunday. Any chance that the Tipp fans will go and support the team. At least there is no other good sporting attractions on the tele on the day!

Its true. Prob expect between 4000 - 6000 for the game though it should be closer to 10000.
    Playing the All-Ireland champions and a chance to see good decent football.

No excuses why we cant come out and support our own for this

• Site Banned Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Spirit of 67

Can Tipp expose Kerry's full-back problem? Should they consider putting Steven O'Brien or C O’Riordan to full-forward and let him offload to quinlivan and Sweeney

What about our own full-back line?

Can`t move Steven out of Midfield , he`s too strong there . I`ve thought about this before and would like to see Limited George given a go there , not the best fielder but could break a lot of ball for the Forwards .

Paddico wrote: »
    "I have no doubt that Kerry will beat Tipperary this weekend"

The Bomber writes in the Irish Independent.
    Headlines like this I like

Kerry missing some decent Players , and on their GAA Forum they seem to be very confident saying Tipp will stay with them for the first 45 - 50 minutes then they will pull away . I think they are in for a surprise ;) !

• Advertisement

The sad fact is that there will be more Kerry supporters in Thurles on Sunday. Any chance that the Tipp fans will go and support the team. At least there is no other good sporting attractions on the tele on the day!

Had a chat with a Lad in work today he is from a dual Club but very little interest in Football . The guy is nearly sixty and he told me he is going to first Inter County Football game on Sunday :) . I reckon over time a stronger support base will build , I know others lads who are starting to take an interest also .

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Had a chat with a Lad in work today he is from a dual Club but very little interest in Football. The guy is nearly sixty and he told me he is going to first Inter County Football game on Sunday :). I reckon over time a stronger support base will build, I know others lads who are starting to take an interest also
    What IYO will change peoples mind-set over time to go to football games? IMO most people especially in the North have absolutely no interest in gaelic and never will. There would be more interest in rugby/soccer in many areas of North Tipp than there ever will be in Gaelic

• Registered Users Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Team unchanged from the Waterford game:

Comerford
    Codd
    McDonald
    Kiely
    Campbell
    Acheson
    Kennedy
    Hannigan
    O'Brien
    O'Riordan
    Austin
    Mulhair
    Sweeney
    Quinlivan
    Fox

Tipp Junior Team , some really good players but didn`t perform the last day , hopefully will have spent more time together and gel on the day :

Gearóid Slattery (Cashel) , Ger Hally (Cahir) , Daragh Kearney (Clonmel Óg) , Donal Lynch Capt . (Clonmel Commercials) , Kevin Fahey (Clonmel Commercials) , Luke Boland (Moyle Rovers) , Daragh O'Dwyer (Moyle Rovers) , Aldo Mattassa (Clonmel Commercials) , Martin Dunne (Moyle Rovers) , Shane Leahy (Arravale Rovers) , Tommy Sweeney (Ballyporeen) , Donough Leahy (Arravale Rovers) , Kevin Fox (Éire Óg Annacarty) , Dean Lonergan (Cahir) , Dean McEnroe (JK Brackens) .

What IYO will change peoples mind-set over time to go to football games? IMO most people especially in the North have absolutely no interest in gaelic and never will. There would be more interest in rugby/soccer in many areas of North Tipp than there ever will be in Gaelic

Mind you own business , you already got me banned on here ! Whatever I say you`ll end up making a dog`s dinner out of it , you have no clue about Tipp Football ! Remind me again why Roscrea play Rugby in Leinster :D ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Xenophile

To answer your question.............Playing and competing and winning like Dublin and Kerry, we have to start somewhere and now is the time. Plenty of good players in the North of the county and it was great to see Steven O´Brien win the GPA/GAA player of the month for the month of May. Hopefully he will win the respect and admiration of all young sports people, especially in North Tipperary

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

What IYO will change peoples mind-set over time to go to football games? IMO most people especially in the North have absolutely no interest in gaelic and never will

Tbf, the obvious answer to your question is success. Doesn't matter the sport. I don't believe that there's anything physically wrong with Kerry/Kilkenny lads that stops them from playing the both codes to equal success. Success has many friends! Every kk person is a hurling expert now. Kids swing at tennis balls when Wimbledon is on, race against each other on bikes when the Tour de France is on. I don't know anyone with an interest in f1 anymore. Started to dip when the irish eddies faded...

Look at Munster rugby. Heineken tickets were like gold dust in thomond even during the recession. The team had dropped over the last few seasons and they're even advertising on the radio now. I guarantee that if we'd a run of glory like the cats, thurles would be thronged for the training sessions.

I honestly think we're in a great position to have a crack at Kerry but I can't see us getting over the line..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

Kerry: B Kealy; M Ó Sé, M Griffin, S Enright; J Lyne, P Crowley, K Young; A Maher, B Sheehan; M Geaney, C Cooper, J Buckley; P Geaney, K Donaghy (Capt), BJ Keane.

In the words of Paidi O'Shea - "We'll have to get out there and test these lad's ****ing pulse!!!!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

People happy with the team?

They are excellent prices to see the defending all Ireland champions play beaten.

;) FYP

:pac:

Paddico wrote: »
    "I have no doubt that Kerry will beat Tipperary this weekend"

The Bomber writes in the Irish Independent.
    Headlines like this I like
    digzy wrote: »
    to be fair they will!

I kinda half admire Bombers honesty tbh.

However i honestly think they could be in serious danger if they underestimate us too much on this occasion. Thats not idle talk i really think we are really progressing and if they are going to beat us then id advise them to fill their boots while they still can because the premier is rising. They probably have a better bench and more experience but i still think with the right approach and right attitude we can pull it off this time.

Another article by Mike Quirke there said that having to play up the prospect of facing the so called minnows was akin to sidestepping the age old question with the wife asking 'Does my bum look big in this' :D. I did laugh at the comparision ill admit.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/football/mike-quirke-yerra-platitudes-have-been-part-of-build-ups-for-kerry-335623.html

Drives me insane though to hear all the ridiculous ott praise John Evans gets. Yes ill acknowledge the role he played but when he left he had supposedly lost the dressing room completely and we were practically relegated back to the fourth tier at that stage due to the shambolic beatings we were on the end of. We were hammered by Wexford down in Wexford park in 2012 and yet we managed to knock them out of the championship come summer time and same with Antrim that year.

One would think we had never seen a football before he came to the county. I think he is a good coach but John doth praise himself too much judging by some of the interviews he gives and the ridiculous 'salary' he was allegedly on coupled with the vast expenses he allegedly claimed. Its no coincidence our finances returned to normal after he left.

Its also a bit unfair on the many development officers, on Davy Power, on Peter Creedon, on Tommy Twomey, who have been fantastic with the development of the underage players.

To answer your question.............Playing and competing and winning like Dublin and Kerry, we have to start somewhere and now is the time. Plenty of good players in the North of the county and it was great to see Steven O´Brien win the GPA/GAA player of the month for the month of May. Hopefully he will win the respect and admiration of all young sports people, especially in North Tipperary
    But problem with competing and winning like the Dubs, Kerry etc is that gaelic rules the roost apart from areas of Dublin in those counties. Gaelic will not get the best athletes in Tipp. Stephen has the respect, admiration of young sports people already but gaelic football is just an after thought for too many people for it to really rise up in many areas of the county
    Tbf, the obvious answer to your question is success. Doesn't matter the sport. I don't believe that there's anything physically wrong with Kerry/Kilkenny lads that stops them from playing the both codes to equal success. Success has many friends! Every kk person is a hurling expert now. Kids swing at tennis balls when Wimbledon is on, race against each other on bikes when the Tour de France is on. I don't know anyone with an interest in f1 anymore. Started to dip when the irish eddies faded...

Look at Munster rugby. Heineken tickets were like gold dust in thomond even during the recession. The team had dropped over the last few seasons and they're even advertising on the radio now. I guarantee that if we'd a run of glory like the cats, thurles would be thronged for the training sessions.

I honestly think we're in a great position to have a crack at Kerry but I can't see us getting over the line..
    Tradition is what plays a big role.. Munster is quite different. The team dropping in ability has played a role but changes to stadium, expansion and much more games on tv is a role in Mnster.
    We are in with a shot of shocking Kerry soon hopefully it will be this year but the set up at all levels is really there so we'll get it done soon IMO.

He has in North Tipp . A bit of success will do wonders in the area also .

See the Kerry Support not happy that Club League games are taking place tomorrow ahead of the Junior Teams game v Tipp Sunday , most of their Junior Side playing tomorrow night from what I hear !

But problem with competing and winning like the Dubs, Kerry etc is that gaelic rules the roost apart from areas of Dublin in those counties. Gaelic will not get the best athletes in Tipp. Stephen has the respect, admiration of young sports people already but gaelic football is just an after thought for too many people for it to really rise up in many areas of the county

Tradition is what plays a big role.. Munster is quite different. The team dropping in ability has played a role but changes to stadium, expansion and much more games on tv is a role in Mnster.
    We are in with a shot of shocking Kerry soon hopefully it will be this year but the set up at all levels is really there so we'll get it done soon IMO.

Who :eek: ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Rasputin11 wrote: »
    Barrett, Lar and John McGrath out of Limerick game, not sure of the extent of the injuries. We've had a huge amount of injuries this season so far.

Source?

• Advertisement

Who :eek: ?

Stephen O'Brien from Ballina i assume he is referring to.

Munster is quite different. The team dropping in ability has played a role but changes to stadium, expansion and much more games on tv is a role in Mnster. .

perhaps the expansion of the stadium has a role to play. Also there isn't a culture of going to rugby matches every fortnight. Also comparing to leinster they've a much larger market with arguably more disposable income.
    Nevertheless, I'm convinced that the decrease in the teams ability have contributed in the main to the lack of interest.

Regarding Tipp, no matter how awful the team is there will always be a cohort who will follow the team through thick and thin. However there's 'soft' supporters who make up a fair proportion in each county and will jump on the bandwagon whatever the code.

I'm a case in point. I loved soccer a few years ago. Villa became gradually more awful. Now i'd struggle to name 7 players and i'd only name a similar number on the international team. we're flaky, part of the human condition.

perhaps the expansion of the stadium has a role to play. Also there isn't a culture of going to rugby matches every fortnight. Also comparing to leinster they've a much larger market with arguably more disposable income.
    Nevertheless, I'm convinced that the decrease in the teams ability have contributed in the main to the lack of interest.

Regarding Tipp, no matter how awful the team is there will always be a cohort who will follow the team through thick and thin. However there's 'soft' supporters who make up a fair proportion in each county and will jump on the bandwagon whatever the code.

I'm a case in point. I loved soccer a few years ago. Villa became gradually more awful. Now i'd struggle to name 7 players and i'd only name a similar number on the international team. we're flaky, part of the human condition.
    As someone who up to this season was in Thomond for most games every season - been based in Galway much more at weekends this season - the capacity of stadium is an issue. The teams ability is part of the issue but its easier to get tickets no matter the opposition and only 3 of the guaranteed home games are against Irish sides. That is something Hurling, gaelic don't have to worry about

I don't think we should use the term 'bandwagon' as its quite unfair on many who cant attend games. Im a fanatic wrt Munster but I only attended 2 home games and 1 away this season.

Did anyone go or will anyone go to the club hurling semis this weekend?
    Challenge Cup Johnny Ryan Cup semi Drom and Toome was last night, Nenagh and Lorrha in Dr Fogarty semi was tonight and Clonoulty and Roscrea play in other Johnny Ryan semi on Tuesday.

Compare attendances of the Tipp Senior team to the Minor/U21 teams in recent times. Poles apart. I would reckon we had a good chunk of the support in Parnell Park last month. We previously outnumbered the Dubs in Tullamore.

And think back to 2011 when we had that exciting minor team. Up in Portlaoise that day we had the majority attendance of Tipp, Cork, Dublin and Meath.

Id agree with you completely that a winning culture breeds larger attendances.

Although i would also paint a bigger picture. Winning isnt always number 1. I do think that people want to see adventure, abandon, and something off the cuff. Underagers tend to provide this whereas Adults are a bit too much on the mature side to be playing off the cuff

Stephen O'Brien from Ballina i assume he is referring to.

Steven ;) !

Steven ;) !

lol, i do apologise to 'Steven' o'Brien.

As someone who up to this season was in Thomond for most games every season - been based in Galway much more at weekends this season - the capacity of stadium is an issue. The teams ability is part of the issue but its easier to get tickets no matter the opposition and only 3 of the guaranteed home games are against Irish sides. That is something Hurling, gaelic don't have to worry about

I don't think we should use the term 'bandwagon' as its quite unfair on many who cant attend games. Im a fanatic wrt Munster but I only attended 2 home games and 1 away this season.

Challenge Cup Johnny Ryan Cup semi Drom and Toome was last night, Nenagh and Lorrha in Dr Fogarty semi was tonight and Clonoulty and Roscrea play in other Johnny Ryan semi on Tuesday.

I know it's a bit off topic but...........
    You'd have to admit that there were a lot of people who'd zero interest in rugby until Munster started doing the business in the heineken cup. I'm not referring to the people who actually were going to club games. There's a fair proportion of people in thomond who're unconnected to any club. I never played rugby until I went to Trinity. No club loyalty whatsoever!

The team I believe through their personnel and success really connected with the supporters. However were their predecessors any less 'munster'? It's easy welcome john Langford and co. when they're winning but now that the tide's turning a lot of supporters are pointing the finger at the imports like andrew smith which I think is unfair personally.

You'd have to admit that there were a lot of people who'd zero interest in rugby until Munster started doing the business in the heineken cup. I'm not referring to the people who actually were going to club games. There's a fair proportion of people in thomond who're unconnected to any club. I never played rugby until I went to Trinity. No club loyalty whatsoever!

The team I believe through their personnel and success really connected with the supporters. However were their predecessors any less 'munster'? It's easy welcome john Langford and co. when they're winning but now that the tide's turning a lot of supporters are pointing the finger at the imports like andrew smith which I think is unfair personally.

Similar to Arsenal, when Henry and co were going through teams for a shortcut very few complained and all of a sudden when they were going through a barren spell it was believed that they needed a 'british core' and some 'steel' in the team (The likes of Scott Parker and Joey Barton was touted by the media)

Challenge Cup Johnny Ryan Cup semi Drom and Toome was last night, Nenagh and Lorrha in Dr Fogarty semi was tonight and Clonoulty and Roscrea play in other Johnny Ryan semi on Tuesday

Even the players see those games as glorified challenges

• Advertisement

Yes professionalism and especially success changed things. The club game was getting bigger and bigger from start of 90s thanks to intro of an All Ireland League and professionalism and provinces in Europe then took over.
    The players etc still connected to fans in huge way. I know what you mean but Langford arrived when we were only starting off on Europe trial... he helped turn peoples into being more professional. I don't think supporters were criticising Smith simply as he was an import just that he wasn't good enough. There's been plenty of criticism of home grown as much as any import

Anyway thoughts on those club games I mentioned....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement