Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2015

Options

Comments

Yes professionalism and especially success changed things. The club game was getting bigger and bigger from start of 90s thanks to intro of an All Ireland League and professionalism and provinces in Europe then took over.
    The players etc still connected to fans in huge way. I know what you mean but Langford arrived when we were only starting off on Europe trial... he helped turn peoples into being more professional. I don't think supporters were criticising Smith simply as he was an import just that he wasn't good enough. There's been plenty of criticism of home grown as much as any import

Anyway thoughts on those club games I mentioned....

Not a thought and to be honest the players wouldnt even give a shíte about them. They are conjured up competitions just to bridge the gap between championships for the club players who arent involved with the county.

Speaking to a few club hurlers i can guarantee that very few will value a Dr Fogarty medal.

To win a division fair enough but id doubt a Dr Fogarty/Ryan whatever would raise many hairs

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Not a thought and to be honest the players wouldnt even give a shíte about them. They are conjured up competitions just to bridge the gap between championships for the club players who arent involved with the county.

Speaking to a few club hurlers i can guarantee that very few will value a Dr Fogarty medal.

To win a division fair enough but id doubt a Dr Fogarty/Ryan whatever would raise many hairs
    Id disagree. These wont be competitions clubs aim for and they wont care too much until in final but its silverware and especially for club like Lorrha. Other than 1/2 in the 80s with Reddin how many Norths have they won? They haven't exactly cabinets full of trophies(not trying to slag them off or anything....)
    Divisional title is always going to top it but this will, again no offence to Lorrha, be their only shot at a title in senior ranks this year so why be so dismissive..

Id disagree. These wont be competitions clubs aim for and they wont care too much until in final but its silverware and especially for club like Lorrha. Other than 1/2 in the 80s with Reddin how many Norths have they won? They haven't exactly cabinets full of trophies(not trying to slag them off or anything....)
    Divisional title is always going to top it but this will, again no offence to Lorrha, be their only shot at a title in senior ranks this year so why be so dismissive..

i still maintain that they wont be too bowled over by the prospect of winning it. Spoke to a mate who plays for the Brackens a few weeks back and they were after playing a game the day before on the Sunday and he was very indifferent about the result. He used the term shadow boxing and said there wasnt a shoulder in anger throughout the game. It was a mere shake off the cobwebs match. JK Brackens are hardly sweeping the board in hurling either. They are mere warmup competitions that save the politics of arranging challenge matches and thats about the height of their importance. Very few lads from Lorrha will remember where they were the day they won the <insert name here> cup (should they win it) regardless of how strong their team currently is. Check the expression on the face of the winners on the Tipp star after the final is played.

i still maintain that they wont be too bowled over by the prospect of winning it. Spoke to a mate who plays for the Brackens a few weeks back and they were after playing a game the day before on the Sunday and he was very indifferent about the result. He used the term shadow boxing and said there wasnt a shoulder in anger throughout the game. It was a mere shake off the cobwebs match. JK Brackens are hardly sweeping the board in hurling either. They are mere warmup competitions that save the politics of arranging challenge matches and thats about the height of their importance. Very few lads from Lorrha will remember where they were the day they won the <insert name here> cup (should they win it) regardless of how strong their team currently is. Check the expression on the face of the winners on the Tipp star after the final is played.
    I totally see where you are coming from but disagree. How many of the senior clubs in the county have won actual senior competitions within the last decade.
    While im sure their tipp star will have other thoughts in regard to the county team but how often has he/will he win a county title with his club in his lifetime regardless of the competition?
    To some clubs they are just organised friendlies but to most clubs they are their only realistic chances of silverware so clubs do treat it with some degree of seriousness....

For me certain silverware like a county or even a division signifies being the best but i would doubt that the likes of Lorrha would have open top parades for the likes of this competition. In fact if they brought the cup into the pub most of the punters in the pub would enquiry as to what the trophy was for. Would they even bring it into the pub?

Winning in GAA is only worth something when it brings a whole community of supporters and fans alike together ala a divisional or county final. The rest are totally meaningless. We may just have to agree to disagree on this one.

• Advertisement

For me certain silverware like a county or even a division signifies being the best but i would doubt that the likes of Lorrha would have open top parades for the likes of this competition. In fact if they brought the cup into the pub most of the punters in the pub would enquiry as to what the trophy was for. Would they even bring it into the pub?

Winning in GAA is only worth something when it brings a whole community of supporters and fans alike together ala a divisional or county final. The rest are totally meaningless. We may just have to agree to disagree on this one.
    But thats a ridiculous attitude. Silverware no matter what is being the best in a division/grouping.
    Take the rugby club in Nenagh they won senior plate in 2013. First competition won as a senior club. They celebrated winning it. Won it again in 2014. Didn't care at all as they had the league to win/won but winning in 2013 was important to the 2014 league win...
    Winning isn't only worth it when bringing whole community alike together. Winning a trophy however small can bring a team together and make them strive for more success.

But thats a ridiculous attitude. Silverware no matter what is being the best in a division/grouping.
    Take the rugby club in Nenagh they won senior plate in 2013. First competition won as a senior club. They celebrated winning it. Won it again in 2014. Didn't care at all as they had the league to win/won but winning in 2013 was important to the 2014 league win...
    Winning isn't only worth it when bringing whole community alike together. Winning a trophy however small can bring a team together and make them strive for more success.

Would winning this trophy be a genuine stepping stone though or just a trophy that others arent too bothered about winning? I know little of rugby to judge the magnitude of Nenagh's win but i dont think winning the aforementioned hurling competition would give Lorrha much of a stepping stone unless they had a confident young and upcoming underage side. For me they would just be bothered enough to win a competition that others werent as bothered enough about. Dont get me wrong, Lorrha are an improving side, however i dont think somehow that there will be strong correlation between winning this competition (should they do so) and any success in the future. They may as well be winning a table quiz or an argument for all the importance placed on it.

Would winning this trophy be a genuine stepping stone though or just a trophy that others arent too bothered about winning? I know little of rugby to judge the magnitude of Nenagh's win but i dont think winning the aforementioned hurling competition would give Lorrha much of a stepping stone unless they had a confident young and upcoming underage side. For me they would just be bothered enough to win a competition that others werent as bothered enough about. Dont get me wrong, Lorrha are an improving side, however i dont think somehow that there will be strong correlation between winning this competition (should they do so) and any success in the future. They may as well be winning a table quiz or an argument for all the importance placed on it.
    What have Lorrha won in recent times? How close have they been to winning a North...
    Lorrha have won nothing. This is a trophy up for grabs. Winning and the sense of winning is addictive and winning once makes winning another easier. Winning is a habit. So I don't see how you can dismiss these competitions..
    I think there is a correlation between success and future success. Again from other sports ive seen sides win less trophies at age grade and those successes lead the teams in time to be major role in getting side the "big one" at minor/u18, u20/21 level...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Xenophile

The death has taken place of former Tipperary inter-county Hurler, Fr Ray Reidy, Clonmel.

Fr Ray Reidy was born in 1937 in Thurles and played centre back on Tipperary Minor hurling teams for three years being captain the third year in 1955 when they won the all Ireland title. He played on Tipperary Senior Hurling teams from 1956 to 1960 and won an all Ireland Senior medal with the team of ’58.

In 1963, Fr. Ray Reidy S.P.S. Kiltegan and Mill Road, Thurles, was ordained to the priesthood and went on the missions to Nigeria that year. Despite his commitment to his priestly studies, which curtailed his availability, Ray’s contribution to that golden era for Thurles Sarsfields club was immense in the late ’50’s and early ’60’s. Simply, but aptly described by a contemporary as “a class player” and a stylish wing-back, Ray’s reading of the game, and the quality of his striking, were of the highest order. He played with an elegance that was a delight to watch and was widely admired, but when the going got tough he was never found wanting. Had he not answered a higher calling, Ray would undoubtedly have amassed much more honours at both club and county level.

Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam uasal

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Great day for a game today, hopefully we get a good size crowd in Thurles.

• Advertisement

Would you believe it the game is delayed fifteen minutes due to crowd congestion !

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

Losing 2-8 to 2-4
    Minute or two into second half

Lost by 6. 2-14 to 2-8
    Juniors also lost. losing by 8 points. Thoughts?

Lost by 6. 2-14 to 2-8
    Juniors also lost. losing by 8 points. Thoughts?

Great performance by a 3rd Division League side against All Ireland Champions!

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Triboro

Good performance by tipp lads, got away from them in the second half even though they'll rue the missed opportunities in that period,hard to get the frees with todays ref too!! When's the qualifier draw?

Triboro wrote: »
    Good performance by tipp lads, got away from them in the second half even though they'll rue the missed opportunities in that period,hard to get the frees with todays ref too!! When's the qualifier draw?
    Don't think qualifier draw will be for a week or two. Round 1 games not played yet and other provincial semis not played yet.

Xenophile wrote: »
    Great performance by a 3rd Division League side against All Ireland Champions!

That really puts alot of perspective on it. In terms of the long term future, the critical ambition for us needs to be to achieve promotion over the next 2-3 seasons and hopefully consolidate our position thereon. It is only by playing teams like Kerry, Mayo, Dublin, etc on a regular basis that we can become more accustomed to how they operate. One thing was apparent today is Kerry's coolness when we stormed at them. They never panicked and when the game opened up for them they went for the throat. Thats what all the elite teams do in any sport really.

Today, we hit the panic button too early and i felt that despite the good performance, some of our most talented players maybe didnt play to their full potential. I think Sweeney is one such player who never recovered mentally from the wide he drove when it looked easier to score a goal early on.

We need to get a little wiser and cuter and that can only come from playing the better teams more reguarly. Playing Kerry in the league for example would be fantastic preparation for down the line if we were to meet them again come championship time and likewise Dublin, Mayo, Cork and Donegal

No consistent free taker, the goal keeper Evan Comerford should take all relatively close in frees when O'Halloran is not on the pitch.

Sweeney and Grogan too unreliable.

Look how sweetly O'Halloran struck over that 45.

All close in frees should be taken off the ground and if you cannot do that you should not be taking them

A Tip.

Tipp fm was unable to broadcast the game on the net today!

Someone I know very well listened to the game on Radio Kerry.

Worth keeping in mind that you have always the oppositions web site to listen to a game if you are out of the Country.

Xenophile wrote: »
    No consistent free taker, the goal keeper Evan Comerford should take all relatively close in frees when O'Halloran is not on the pitch.

Sweeney and Grogan too unreliable.

Look how sweetly O'Halloran struck over that 45.

All close in frees should be taken off the ground and if you cannot do that you should not be taking them

Agree with the last bit.

O'Halloran can be that bit inconsistent too due to his youth and inexperience more than likely but looks the best option to take over in the long term.

Sweeney looked out of sorts today. Has he been hit with the hay fever like many others seem to be?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭igorbiscan

Was at the match,by a long way off,not an expert but three things occurred to me,
    Tipp being underdogs hit some bad wides,needed to take these easier points for any hope of a result.
    Often the final pass was lacking/cut out by Kerry.A bit more composure/cuteness required.
    Kerry were much cuter,seemed to create their scores more easily.

All in all,well done Tipp,held the AI champs to within two points in the first half,could've have had a real shock on had some
    wayward shots gone over..

Great day for a game today, hopefully we get a good size crowd in Thurles.

Was it bad planning?
    A) Not to open the larger 'O'Coinneann' stand by default as opposed to the smaller O'Riann?
    B) Been so closed minded about the prospect of a larger crowd being in attendance?

Now very few would have predicted 11000 and there was a considerable Kerry contingent in attendance but it might have been better to open the larger stand. I will also accept though that for the purpose of the cameras beaming on them (although i dont think the game was beamed live on sky) it could have been decided that the O'Riann stand being full would look better on tv.

• Site Banned Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Spirit of 67

That really puts alot of perspective on it. In terms of the long term future, the critical ambition for us needs to be to achieve promotion over the next 2-3 seasons and hopefully consolidate our position thereon. It is only by playing teams like Kerry, Mayo, Dublin, etc on a regular basis that we can become more accustomed to how they operate. One thing was apparent today is Kerry's coolness when we stormed at them. They never panicked and when the game opened up for them they went for the throat. Thats what all the elite teams do in any sport really.

Today, we hit the panic button too early and i felt that despite the good performance, some of our most talented players maybe didnt play to their full potential. I think Sweeney is one such player who never recovered mentally from the wide he drove when it looked easier to score a goal early on.

We need to get a little wiser and cuter and that can only come from playing the better teams more reguarly. Playing Kerry in the league for example would be fantastic preparation for down the line if we were to meet them again come championship time and likewise Dublin, Mayo, Cork and Donegal

Sums it up very well . I have said it all along we need to get up to Division 2 and 1 and then maybe the Players will learn to be that bit cuter . When we were on top early on Sweeney danced around the Defender and kicked wide off his right foot instead of driving in on goal , tight angle but could have punched over . Delighted that Hannigan went off ( not happy to see him injured however ) he was lost again . Casey came on and was playing well then came the real turning point , at half time Barry Grogan came on as a permanent Sub for Hannigan and Casey Off . Grogan , brilliant for Tipp over the years , has lost it . As soon as he came on , Lad next to me said all he will do is foul his Man , and not long on he was involved in a row and blatantly pushed over a Kerry Lad over when we were in attack right in front of the Ref and got away with it !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

Yes, but do Kerry have another gear?

Sums it up very well . I have said it all along we need to get up to Division 2 and 1 and then maybe the Players will learn to be that bit cuter . When we were on top early on Sweeney danced around the Defender and kicked wide off his right foot instead of driving in on goal , tight angle but could have punched over . Delighted that Hannigan went off ( not happy to see him injured however ) he was lost again . Casey came on and was playing well then came the real turning point , at half time Barry Grogan came on as a permanent Sub for Hannigan and Casey Off . Grogan , brilliant for Tipp over the years , has lost it . As soon as he came on , Lad next to me said all he will do is foul his Man , and not long on he was involved in a row and blatantly pushed over a Kerry Lad over when we were in attack right in front of the Ref and got away with it !

Good point. Grogan (who i have the greatest of time and respect for) brought nothing to the arena being honest and we'd have been better to keep Casey on.

George is another excellent servant and the injury he sustained signfies the willingness and commitment of the man to the cause. However, in comparision to some of his counterparts from the stronger counties, i fear that George falls short of the benchmark. To go toe to toe with the Kerry's and Dublin's you have to match them pound for pound and strike for strike.

Yes, but do Kerry have another gear?

Arguably they wouldnt be as suicidal in defence as they were the first ten minutes today against the Dublin's, Donegal's or Mayo's of this world or they would be battered out the gate. Safe to say they wont drop James O'Donoghue for those games and will be more primed for them.

We're not far off them though. Its really about playing top level opposition more often and to do that we need to climb the divisions.

Is Bill Maher injured or is he involved with the Senior panel at all?

Is Bill Maher injured or is he involved with the Senior squad at all?
    He is still involved in senior squad. Don't know of anything to say he isn't involved in squad or that he is injured.

He is still involved in senior squad. Don't know of anything to say he isn't involved in squad or that he is injured.

Just discovered his player profile pic on sportsfile it would seem he is involved with the Senior hurlers at the moment. Pity really because while Bill is a good hurler, i think he is a superb footballer and even an uncle of his was saying to me a good while back he so talented at the football that it would be a shame to waste it.

I think Paul Maher is a terrific hurler. Seen him in Limerick for the minors last year and he hit a world of ball. Good footballer too but he has great potential as a hurler

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

In the end all that’s left is a similar tale: Tipperary troubled Kerry for just over half the game and could summon up little more thereafter.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/flawless-kerry-kicking-leaves-tipp-behind-681968.html

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement