Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

My MOTM was Cathal Barrett. He is becoming as important to us as Tommy Walsh was to Kilkenny.

James Barry was safe as houses in full back aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

ScummyMan wrote: »

true, but i dunno if he was tested much given the waterford formation...

He was tremendous. Paudie didnt have his finest hour though
    digzy wrote: »
    true, but i dunno if he was tested much given the waterford formation...

I seen him under pressure once or twice and he was incredible. I would agree though that Waterford didnt exactly go all gung ho like the Justin years. At max there were only ever 3 (barely) between midfield and the 40 with one lone piper inside

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

That was exactly the type of game we would have lost before. See the Limerick games the last few years. However, we won. We dug it out, fought until we overpowered them. Exactly the type of win we needed. Hopefully we get Cork next (or whoever we get) and they come out like tigers after last year. We need those battles to face into KK, it will set us up better than before - hammering teams can often be counter productive...

We beat a team without Seamie scoring from play - a dog tough team, who have belief - that's important. The rest of the forwards dug in, workman like, and scraped some scores to get us over the line - long time since we had a win like that...

That was exactly the type of game we would have lost before. See the Limerick games the last few years. However, we won. We dug it out, fought until we overpowered them. Exactly the type of win we needed. Hopefully we get Cork next (or whoever we get) and they come out like tigers after last year. We need those battles to face into KK, it will set us up better than before - hammering teams can often be counter productive...

We beat a team without Seamie scoring from play - a dog tough team, who have belief - that's important. The rest of the forwards dug in, workman like, and scraped some scores to get us over the line - long time since we had a win like that...

Very true. The bigger picture for the game of hurling is worrying though. The rucks were dreadful to look at. It seems the teams that play this way are now dictating the terms on which the game of hurling is to be played. Fair play to the Sunday game for their highlight editing. It was like Football Italia hosted by James Richardson in the 90s where we only seen the splendid bicycle kicks and other glorious goals rather than the putridness that went before it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭Paarthurnax

The bigger picture for the game of hurling is worrying though. The rucks were dreadful to look at. It seems the teams that play this way are now dictating the terms on which the game of hurling is to be played. Fair play to the Sunday game for their highlight editing. It was like Football Italia hosted by James Richardson in the 90s where we only seen the splendid bicycle kicks and other glorious goals rather than the putridness that went before it.
    Couldnt agree with you more its terrible for the game of hurling, the weekends hurling had so much potential but was really disappointing. You would have expected at least ten goals in those three matches, sadly the highlight of the three games was Donie Ryans slip on the sideline.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Tyrone in the football, feck.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,187 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Xenophile wrote: »
    Yes!

No, Tipp v Tyrone in Thurles

• Registered Users Posts: 8,187 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

We need to support in numbers and get revenge for Tyrone's disgraceful antics in the u21 final.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,969 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Best draw we could of got. Tyrone are more a big name than actual substance these days. Home advantage will be very useful too.

• Advertisement

Think it's going to be held at a neutral venue lads is it not?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Big Ears wrote: »
    Best draw we could of got. Tyrone are more a big name than actual substance these days. Home advantage will be very useful too.

tbf for all the talk of progress by the footballers, the next step is a win over cork/kerry in munster or a prominent team like a galway/derry/tyrone.

should be a cracker at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Xenophile

I thought so too, but listening to the draw on Morning Ireland, it's Thurles next Saturday!

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭buggy beag

Great result yesterday finally back as munster kingpins again.delighted o shea won a munster in his last year hopfully hel win the all ireland as well.41 munsters only ten behind cork now.i would rather play cork in the semi but i think galway will beat them.seen alot of names being praised and every man in the panel is worthy of it,thought bergin had a great game.we had to play on waterfords terms which makes for a poor spectacle but as previous posters said this is a game we would usually have lost so great credit to lads.mon da premier!!!

• Site Banned Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Spirit of 67

Tipp v Tyrone in Thurles @ Three !

David Gough is the Ref !

• Registered Users Posts: 17,993 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Boys are on some bender today inside in Thurles, well deserved I suppose after winning but some of the performances were woeful in my opinion.
    If Waterford had a few decent forwards we would have been bet out the gate. If we play like that against kilkenny the game would have been over at half time. Lots of room for improvement. Probably better though than winning by a cricket score especially at this stage.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Tyrone would be a big scalp for Tipp to take, hopefully a decent crowd turn out to support them in Thurles.

If that Tipp team beat Tyrone I'd be over the moon. It would be an epic achievement. Tyrone are not the side they were when they were winning ALL-IRELANDS but they're are still formidable opposition who will be very confident of beating Tipp. I really hope Tipp run them to the pin of Tyrone's collar and take the win. It would be a serious achievement.

They deserve a blow out - and now's the time to get it over and done with.

Who did you think was woeful?

I think it was clever to work the free man the way we did - however, I would query whether Pauric was the best man to be the freeman. Not that he played badly, I just think we have lads who are better at spreading the ball into the forwards. He did hurt his shoulder early (He left the game in a sling) so that probably contributed to some of his poor passing. But, maybe, in future, Brendan Maher or Bergin might be better as playmakers. If Noelie was fit he'd be ideal to collect ball and play it. That said the pressure Waterford were applying on players was savage...great preparation for the rest of the championship. The time for form is August and Sept as I've said here many times. Waterford will learn that too - playing Tipp and KK in May and June is totally different than during the league. And, KK and Tipp in August and Sept are another level again than in May and June - the slickness of stick work and interplay is beyond anything ever seen in the game.

I'm surprised at how emotional E O'Shea was in his radio interview. I suppose, O'Shea has suffered savage criticism from morons. Didn't think it would get to him...

Kevin Moran slaughtered M Breen as was always on the cards - but Kevin Moran - due to his form and now in his peak years - will do that to most players. B Maher did okay on him later...

Breen got a nice point before half time - forwards kind of suit hum better at the moment - unlucky to be taken off after getting the point - His time will come.

Not an epic flowing game of hurling - but in terms of tackling, running, and harassment - it was top notch stuff. The level of commitment was total.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭QuinDixie

They deserve a blow out - and now's the time to get it over and done with.

Who did you think was woeful?

I think it was clever to work the free man the way we did - however, I would query whether Pauric was the best man to be the freeman. Not that he played badly, I just think we have lads who are better at spreading the ball into the forwards. He did hurt his shoulder early (He left the game in a sling) so that probably contributed to some of his poor passing. But, maybe, in future, Brendan Maher or Bergin might be better as playmakers. If Noelie was fit he'd be ideal to collect ball and play it. That said the pressure Waterford were applying on players was savage...great preparation for the rest of the championship. The time for form is August and Sept as I've said here many times. Waterford will learn that too - playing Tipp and KK in May and June is totally different than during the league. And, KK and Tipp in August and Sept are another level again than in May and June - the slickness of stick work and interplay is beyond anything ever seen in the game.

I'm surprised at how emotional E O'Shea was in his radio interview. I suppose, O'Shea has suffered savage criticism from morons. Didn't think it would get to him...

Kevin Moran slaughtered M Breen as was always on the cards - but Kevin Moran - due to his form and now in his peak years - will do that to most players. B Maher did okay on him later...

Breen got a nice point before half time - forwards kind of suit hum better at the moment - unlucky to be taken off after getting the point - His time will come.

Not an epic flowing game of hurling - but in terms of tackling, running, and harassment - it was top notch stuff. The level of commitment was total.

it was a dreadful game, no real goal mouth action and some truly shocking wides.
    Waterford bar the fitness, aggression and confidence have very little skill and they dragged Tipp down to their level. Yesterday saw some of the worst passages of hurling seen in a long time.

• Advertisement

Every other game in the Munster championship and saturday's qualifiers was worse... I don't think it was some of worst hurling seen a long time - the games the day before were worse. The Limerick v Dublin was cat beyond cat ... horrible ****e...

It certainly didn't have the fitness and cut and thrust of yesterday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭QuinDixie

Every other game in the Munster championship and saturday's qualifiers was worse... I don't think it was some of worst hurling seen a long time - the games the day before were worse. The Limerick v Dublin was cat beyond cat ... horrible ****e...

It certainly didn't have the fitness and cut and thrust of yesterday

Either way it was awful ****e.
    Some of the players over the weekend looked like men who had never seen a hurley before.
    Mickey O Connells recent statement about gaelic footballers I think applies to alot of hurlers, they are athletes not hurlers.

Fair enough, but I don't agree. Fitness and defensive tactics have gone to the next level - I can appreciate that side of the game. I love to see goals but I don't go to games to see goals. I go to see hurling - hooking, blocking, savage defence, physical contest - that's all part of hurling. We get some seasons where people whinge constantly about the standrad of hurling and others seasons where it's the best season ever. It goes up and down...

I think there were some outstanding moments of skill yesterday from Bubbles, Jamie Barron, Fives, Moran, Pauric Maher, Brendan Maher, and Lar.

For me, it dosen't have to be a goal fest to be an intriguing or good game....But it certainly wasn't the best game ever...

I suppose McGrath feels Waterford have to play a certain way to compete...at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

Very true. The bigger picture for the game of hurling is worrying though. The rucks were dreadful to look at. It seems the teams that play this way are now dictating the terms on which the game of hurling is to be played. Fair play to the Sunday game for their highlight editing. It was like Football Italia hosted by James Richardson in the 90s where we only seen the splendid bicycle kicks and other glorious goals rather than the putridness that went before it.

4 hurling matches in Thurles this weekend, 3 games with no goals and one with only 2. Between the minor and senior games there was maybe only 1 great goal chance, sign of the times sadly.

Rasputin11 wrote: »
    4 hurling matches in Thurles this weekend, 3 games with no goals and one with only 2. Between the minor and senior games there was maybe only 1 great goal chance, sign of the times sadly.

Its very worrying times. A real race to the bottom. Yesterday was like a poor rugby game played with hurleys and a sliothar.

Yeah, but it's only one weekend. Tipp got lots of goals against Limerick, KK v Galway - lots of fantastic goals...KK v Wexford...

If teams don't set up right they're looking at getting embarrassed... - the problem is the gap between the top teams and the rest but that's been there for yonks. But, teams have looked at Donegal and said - feck this hammering business, let's shut up shop. The GAA will probably change the rules of the games to allow for more goals rather than pumping in money into the underage structures in these places to get the counties going... (Is money enough? But, the structures in Laois, Carlow, Westmeath, Antrim, Roscommon, and Kerry) for hurling are not the same as in Tipp or KK...

But, it's the same in every sport - whether it's football - parking the bus or rugby (they just play 8 man rugby). Or puke football or whatever... These complaints about sport, style, and tactics are as old as sport itself and always will be...

I thought the intensity of the Tipp V waterford game was great - a real battle. The limerick v Dublin game...oh mother of god...that was embarrassing...particularly two instances in the last minute when Limerick had possession - Seamus Hickey had possession and lost the ball with no one around him...and another forward did the same...

QuinDixie wrote: »
    Either way it was awful ****e.
    Some of the players over the weekend looked like men who had never seen a hurley before.
    Mickey O Connells recent statement about gaelic footballers I think applies to alot of hurlers, they are athletes not hurlers.

Well to be fair to our own lads, we currently have some of the best exponents of the game.

Yesterday we were in a no win situation. Lose and we would be hammered by the fans and media, win and it would have to be ugly. Its a huge tragedy that we have been dragged down to that level but there you have it. We have had no choice but to sign a deal with the devil.

Yeah, but it's only one weekend. Tipp got lots of goals against Limerick, KK v Galway - lots of fantastic goals...KK v Wexford...

If teams don't set up right they're looking at getting embarrassed... - the problem is the gap between the top teams and the rest but that's been there for yonks. But, teams have looked at Donegal and said - feck this hammering business, let's shut up shop. The GAA will probably change the rules of the games to allow for more goals rather than pumping in money into the underage structures in these places to get the counties going... (Is money enough? But, the structures in Laois, Carlow, Westmeath, Antrim, Roscommon, and Kerry) for hurling are not the same as in Tipp or KK...

But, it's the same in every sport - whether it's football - parking the bus or rugby (they just play 8 man rugby). Or puke football or whatever... These complaints about sport, style, and tactics are as old as sport itself and always will be...

I thought the intensity of the Tipp V waterford game was great - a real battle. The limerick v Dublin game...oh mother of god...that was embarrassing...particularly two instances in the last minute when Limerick had possession - Seamus Hickey had possession and lost the ball with no one around him...and another forward did the same...

Well to be fair there was some undesirable goals back in the day. My father often refers to Sean Mcloughlin scoring a hattrick on Ollie Walsh and not touching the ball once. Doyle, Mackey, Keher, and Ring were probably beat up and down the field.
    I would hope that we would develop a way of beating this system without resorting to it. I wonder if we could utilise more ground hurling or first time hurling to keep the ball moving and break this horrible grind? The atmosphere was boiling in the stadium yesterday but we had a situation where full forward lines were basically redundant.

Yeah, I would suggest until teams have regained confidence to compete this will continue to develop.

Wexford, Offaly, Laois, Clare, Limerick, and Antrim will looking at Waterford now .... and thinking we can adopt this...

After the hammerings some of those teams have taken they must be looking at the Waterford system...

So, it's probably going to get worse...

Even Cork played with a sweeper against Clare...

• Advertisement

I think Seamie and Bubbles should play on the wings or center forward against such a formation - let them out into the space...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement