Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2015

Options

Comments

Yeah, I would suggest until teams have regained confidence to compete this will continue to develop.

Wexford, Offaly, Laois, Clare, Limerick, and Antrim will looking at Waterford now .... and thinking we can adopt this...

After the hammerings some of those teams have taken they must be looking at the Waterford system...

So, it's probably going to get worse...

Even Cork played with a sweeper against Clare..

Jeeeeeeezzzzz!!!........<Shudders Violenty> :(

I think Seamie and Bubbles should play on the wings or center forward against such a formation - let them out into the space...

We had absolutely no width at all yesterday. Far too central. Only Niall O'Meara seemed to wander any way wide and its no coincidence he looked our most threatening player

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

Doesn't matter where you are when there are TEN men back minding the house!!!!

But, out of all those teams I mentioned above - Funnily, it's probably Waterford who don't need to play that way...

They have some amazingly talented players - Jamie Barron looks fantastic and so on. They could have given us as tough a game 15 v 15... - I know they were missing O'Mahony...but, there's real hurlers on that Waterford team...

Doesn't matter where you are when there are TEN men back minding the house!!!!

But, out of all those teams I mentioned above - Funnily, it's probably Waterford who don't need to play that way...

They have some amazingly talented players - Jamie Barron looks fantastic and so on. They could have given us as tough a game 15 v 15... - I know they were missing O'Mahony...but, there's real hurlers on that Waterford team...

And thats the sad part. Jake Dillon and Colin Dunsford for example are lethal forwards but were pretty much redundant for most of that game due to this turgid system. Seamie Callanan was taken right out of the game. Any ball that went in he had 2 or 3 men tearing out of him. The only one who seemed to enjoy any freedom was Lar and even then his goal threat was nullified.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

Tyrone would be a big scalp for Tipp to take, hopefully a decent crowd turn out to support them in Thurles.

I never really cared much for football (growing up in a hurling mad family in a hurling mad town in a hurling mad county) but I'll try get to this match. I'll probably be seen as hopping on the bandwagon but fúck it, it's great to see the lads in blue and gold doing so well. From what I hear, Tipp actually have a good chance of beating Tyrone so whether I can go or not I'll be wishing them all the best...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Wonder how the u21's will line out Thursday, will the players from the football panel line out?

O'Riordan and O'Halloran are expected to line out - Steven O'Brien is injured I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭QuinDixie

Well to be fair to our own lads, we currently have some of the best exponents of the game.

Yesterday we were in a no win situation. Lose and we would be hammered by the fans and media, win and it would have to be ugly. Its a huge tragedy that we have been dragged down to that level but there you have it. We have had no choice but to sign a deal with the devil.

I agree, to see bubbles hurl is a joy.
    The biggest issue facing tipp I believe is our long range scoring, if we are to win liam we will need Noel Mcgrath back in September.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Forgot to mention this but the roaring of obscenities from both sets of fans during the minute's silence for the great Jimmy Doyle was absolutely shameful. Always a few bad apples.

Forgot to mention this but the roaring of obscenities from both sets of fans during the minute's silence for the great Jimmy Doyle was absolutely shameful. Always a few bad apples.

Disgusting stuff altogether. The minutes clapping was better. Drown out the morons

• Advertisement

They should be identified by CCTV and shamed.

Tipperary selector Declan Fanning revealed last night there is "no word yet" on the shoulder injury sustained by Pádraic Maher in the Munster hurling final against Waterford.
    GO TO
    Vice-captain Maher damaged the AC joint in his left shoulder in the third minute but soldiered on for the entire game, before leaving Semple Stadium with his arm in a sling.
    The Thurles Sarsfields player, who operated in a sweeper role on Sunday, is due to attend an All-Ireland hurling championship launch in Dicksboro later today and will deliver an injury bulletin there.
    Fanning told Tipp FM: "There's no word back yet. He has to go for a scan on his shoulder. For a lad that was carrying it for a long period of the game, he still had a fine game for us."
    Fanning also hailed the impact of Noel McGrath following his recent return to light training.
    McGrath underwent surgery for testicular cancer in April but returned to club activity last week and participated in Sunday's pre-match warm-up.
    Fanning revealed: "He's a real driving force. He's been back in with us a few weeks doing some light training. He's recovering really quickly and that's super news."
    Meanwhile, dual player Colin O'Riordan is facing up to the prospect of two huge games in the space of three days.
    The 19-year-old is expected to line out for the Tipperary U-21 hurlers against Limerick in Thursday's Bord Gáis Energy Munster semi-final, before turning his attention to Saturday's senior football qualifier against Tyrone at Semple Stadium.
    Another dual player, Portroe's Kevin O'Halloran is in a similar position.
    There is bad news for both camps, however, as Steven O'Brien could be sidelined for up to three weeks with a hamstring injury.
    O'Brien picked up the injury in a recent U-21 hurling challenge against Galway and sat out last Saturday's football qualifier victory over Louth.
    Irish Independent

• Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Xenophile

They should be identified by CCTV and shamed.

What do you expect from young lads ? Drinking before a 4 pm throw in on Munster Final day.

Minutes silence should be replaced by a minute's clapping!

Toilet facilities on Old stand end need to be extended someway or another. Toilets were never built with three matches taking place in the Stadium in mind and beer being served from half past twelve on a Sunday

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

Still no excuse - I can't understand why anyone would go to a game drunk. It shouldn't be encouraged - no excuse for that kind of behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

That'd be the Carrick on suir crowd I'd say:o

Still no excuse - I can't understand why anyone would go to a game drunk. It shouldn't be encouraged - no excuse for that kind of behaviour.

I dunno how many tipp games you've been to over the past few years but there's always teenagers/20s drunk and falling around the place. I wouldn't go near the terrace For a game. Here's not the place for it but allowing off licences operate on match days is the problem, but shure Us Oirish love the drink. There's no political will to do anything about it....all the pigs have their snouts in the trough. It's a societal issue. Though having been to a few rugby matches the issue doesn't seem as pronounced.

In a crowd of over 50k you'd expect at least 500 drunks/idiots.

I know there is but that doesn't make it right. There's lads in the 30s and 40s doing it too - I saw one lad in the stand down in Pairc Ui Chaoimh the time we hammered Waterford - He was about 40 and ABSOLUTELY bananas drunk and looking like he just got the **** beat out of him - clothes torn and blood all over his jeans- slumped in his chair for the entire game. He was wearing a Tyrone jersey - mother a god!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

I was only a few rows behind a group of the little fúckers and everyone around me, myself included, were appalled by it. A bunch of 15 year old drunken clowns all trying to impress each other by roaring during what was a beautiful moment of respect.

I know there is but that doesn't make it right. There's lads in the 30s and 40s doing it too - I saw one lad in the stand down in Pairc Ui Chaoimh the time we hammered Waterford - He was about 40 and ABSOLUTELY bananas drunk and looking like he just got the **** beat out of him - clothes torn and blood all over his jeans- slumped in his chair for the entire game. He was wearing a Tyrone jersey - mother a god!!!

I didn't say 'twas right. Symptom of society unfortunately

digzy wrote: »
    That'd be the Carrick on suir crowd I'd say:o

There is quite a few towns and villages i might add that has societal problems within Tipperary. Carrick has its fair share but Clonmel, Tipp Town, Nenagh, Roscrea (where there is a serious drug problem in the town), and Thurles, all have their issues. Being from a village myself i can tell you that there is an anti social element albeit to a lesser extent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

digzy wrote: »
    I dunno how many tipp games you've been to over the past few years but there's always teenagers/20s drunk and falling around the place. I wouldn't go near the terrace For a game. Here's not the place for it but allowing off licences operate on match days is the problem, but shure Us Oirish love the drink. There's no political will to do anything about it....all the pigs have their snouts in the trough. It's a societal issue. Though having been to a few rugby matches the issue doesn't seem as pronounced.

In a crowd of over 50k you'd expect at least 500 drunks/idiots.

I had the misfortune of trying to walk (eastwards) down Clonliffe Rd after the drawn AI last year. It was like something out of a zombie movie. They were all after exiting from Hill 16. I wasn't shocked that there were kids falling around after a match but the scale of it shocked me.

GerB40 wrote: »
    I was only a few rows behind a group of the little fúckers and everyone around me, myself included, were appalled by it. A bunch of 15 year old drunken clowns all trying to impress each other by roaring during what was a beautiful moment of respect.

And making themselves look like proper losers in the process. Drink is used as too much of an excuse for these cretins. You are what you behave like and they are scum, plain as.

Westside column this week (July 17th). Big day for Holycross or Cappawhite on Friday night

http://www.tippsupportersclub.com/westside-column-17-july-2015/

• Registered Users Posts: 17,993 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Westside column this week (July 17th). Big day for Holycross or Cappawhite on Friday night

http://www.tippsupportersclub.com/westside-column-17-july-2015/

Huge night for both clubs, would be shocked to see Holycross go down, they're a great club with great tradition.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭MilfordBud

The Tipperary U21 Hurling starting XV to meet Limerick in the Bord Gais Energy Munster U21 Hurling Championship Semi-Final, this Thursday, July 16th at 7.30pm in the Gaelic Grounds, Limerick, has been announced.
    Manager TJ Connolly has eight of last years first fifteen at his disposal as his side sets out to reach the Munster decider. His side includes senior panelists Michael Breen, Ronan Maher, Barry Heffernan, Bill Maher (also U21 dual player) and also other U21 dual players Paul Shanahan, Colin O’Riordan and John McGrath.

The team lines out as follows;

1 Paul Maher (Moyne Templetuohy)
    2 Jack Peters (Kilruane MacDonaghs)
    3 Michael Breen (Ballina)
    4 Tom Fox (Eire Óg Annacarty)
    5 Ronan Maher (Thurles Sarsfields)
    6 Barry Heffernan (Nenagh Éire Óg)
    7 Tomás Hamill (Moyne Templetuohy)
    8 Bill Maher (Kilsheelan Kilcash)
    9 Stephen Cahill (Thurles Sarsfields)
    10 Billy McCarthy (Thurles Sarsfields)
    11 Paul Shanahan (Upperchurch Drombane)
    12 Willie Connors (Kildangan)
    13 Tadhg Gallagher (Kildangan)
    14 Colin O’Riordan (JK Brackens)
    15 John McGrath (Loughmore Castleiney)

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭buggy beag

And making themselves look like proper losers in the process. Drink is used as too much of an excuse for these cretins. You are what you behave like and they are scum, plain as.

And its always these types who wouldnt know one end of a hurley from another always seem to get tickets for all ireland finals while genuine fans lose out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

When did Tipp last fail to score a goal in Championship hurling? Offaly in 2010 is the most recent I could think of.

• Site Banned Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Spirit of 67

Xenophile wrote: »
    What do you expect from young lads ? Drinking before a 4 pm throw in on Munster Final day.

Minutes silence should be replaced by a minute's clapping!

Toilet facilities on Old stand end need to be extended someway or another. Toilets were never built with three matches taking place in the Stadium in mind and beer being served from half past twelve on a Sunday

Unfortunately couldn`t make the Football in Thurles on Saturday due to something I committed to a while ago , however I had the misfortune of driving through the Town about 6.30 because I had a lad to drop off in Thurles , would have avoided it otherwise . Anyhow driving past Lar Corbetts a lad in a Cork shirt fell out in front of the Car , managed somehow to steady himself before he got hit and then done this stupid dance up against the Passenger side of the Car , luckily for him the Passenger window was closed or the guy with me would have broke his jaw ! Don`t think the lad seen or remembered too much of the game , I just don`t understand why people go to games and make complete and utter C@nts of themselves ! ! !

a
    Unfortunately couldn`t make the Football in Thurles on Saturday due to something I committed to a while ago , however I had the misfortune of driving through the Town about 6.30 because I had a lad to drop off in Thurles , would have avoided it otherwise . Anyhow driving past Lar Corbetts a lad in a Cork shirt fell out in front of the Car , managed somehow to steady himself before he got hit and then done this stupid dance up against the Passenger side of the Car , luckily for him the Passenger window was closed or the guy with me would have broke his jaw ! Don`t think the lad seen or remembered too much of the game , I just don`t understand why people go to games and make complete and utter C@nts of themselves ! ! !

In Cork he'd be known as a langer.......... ill get my coat :o

• Advertisement

Tipperary haven’t ruled out hitting the €25,000 a week spent on preparing their county teams three years ago.

Then county chairman Sean Nugent revealed the figure in late July of that season when they still had six inter-county teams in their respective competitions.

As things stand, Tipperary have five sides alive — senior hurlers, footballers, U21 hurlers, minor footballers and hurlers — having seen their U21 footballers reach the All-Ireland final in May.

The county accrued a deficit of close to €250,000 in 2012, their fifth annual loss in succession, but have since made a number of cost-cutting measures, slashing just over €1 million in expenditure in 2013, as well as introducing fundraising initiatives.
    READ NEXT Dreams shattered as no more days out for Longford

County secretary Tim Floyd acknowledged competing at different levels in both codes is costly but believes the demands on finances aren’t as taxing as before.

“It’s not a major strain but we won’t see it until the expenses start rolling in. We’ve been lucky this year, we’ve a new sponsorship deal and our gates are up by a reasonable level and we’ve a couple of good fundraisers. Between all the teams, the senior teams would be the big ones financially, of course. The minors wouldn’t cost much.

“There has been a lot of investment in our footballers over the years and we have a good development system in place. We would spend as much money on football as hurling.”

Floyd hopes Tipperary’s 2014 club fixture headache, which saw the county football final replay played on St Stephen’s Day, won’t be repeated this year.

The senior hurlers’ provincial success means there should be some space to stage one or two rounds of championship fixtures.

“We should have an opportunity to play some rounds. Our one big concern is dual clubs and we have five or six of them and the fixtures for them cause problems later on. We’ve four or five rounds of the hurling championship played. Unfortunately, our system demands a lot of rounds and the divisional championships that lead into the county. It’s a complicated system.

Tipperary last year changed their mind on the calendar season and now believe it would be nigh on impossible for dual counties.

“It’s impractical. Our suggestion would be that you would complete the (All-Ireland) club games in January rather than dragging them onto March. As it stands, we’re finding it very difficult to fit them into the year.

With Steven O’Brien all but ruled out of action, it’s Colin O’Riordan and Kevin O’Halloran who face two games in the space of three days, the U21 hurlers’ Munster semi-final against Limerick followed by the senior footballers’ qualifier against Tyrone.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement