Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2015

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

Kieran bergin: Bitter experience means Tipperary won’t get carried away this time
    Wednesday, July 15, 2015

By John Fogarty
    GAA Correspondent
    Kieran Bergin admits Tipperary have a history of reading too much into their successes but insists this year will be different.

The wing-back says there has been too much heartache for the team to get distracted after claiming their first Munster title in three years on Sunday.

“Anybody who knows us in Tipperary knows we tend to get carried away a little bit. We’re just going to try and stay grounded this year. The backroom staff we have will keep us seriously focused on the overall goal.

“We didn’t sit down in October and say we would be happy with (winning) Munster. We want the Liam MacCarthy and the Tipp fans deserve it. We’ll get down now and focus on whoever we play in five weeks time.”
    READ NEXT Limerick will keep faith in boss TJ Ryan

Speaking in Monday’s newspaper, Bergin highlighted how much the players want to go all the way this year for Eamon O’Shea after the criticism he received.

Attending yesterday’s All-Ireland SHC series launch in Kilkenny’s Dicksboro GAA club, he elaborated on what the manager had to ship.

“From the media, he did take an awful rap and he absorbed every bit of it. Even last year when we were going terribly during the league and a relegation battle was possible, he took everything.

“We were trying to implement a system at the time, a belief in ourselves, but not once did he come in and say ‘lads, we need to do this...’ He just said ‘stick with the plan and stay going’.

“That confidence he showed in our ability inspired us.

“He’s a great man. Eamon just wants what is best for you outside of hurling as well. He wants to bring out the best in you. He’s a really good person.

“We don’t want him coming into dressing rooms now saying ‘well done’ and having a meeting the next day and saying ‘where did we go wrong’ this, that and the other. We’re all sick of those meetings.”

Bergin was delighted for Noel McGrath who warmed up with the rest of the players prior to Sunday’s Munster final although he was not part of the match-day group.

McGrath was diagnosed with testicular cancer in April and marked his return to action with his club Loughmore-Castleiney last week. However, Bergin revealed McGrath had hoped to be back in contention for a spot by now.

“I think he’s frustrated with himself. He thought he would have been back. I spoke to him a few months ago after he done the chemo and he thought he would be back for the Munster final. He’s training with us but not at the same level. He’s slowly building it up with the help of the physios and the physical trainer. He’ll come back stronger than ever.”

Bergin felt McGrath would have thrived against Waterford on Sunday.

“Noel is a massive loss out around the middle of the field because he would have been a brilliant player to have there because he can pop it (over). I took a shot there in the second half which was wide as the corner flag but if that ball had fell to Noel he would have probably put it between the sticks.”

Meanwhile, Bergin reports Pádraic Maher will face a battle to be fit in time for their All-Ireland semi-final on August 16. Maher injured his shoulder when he was fouled by Michael Walsh in the first half in Thurles.

“He was in a sling Sunday night and yesterday (Monday),” said Bergin. “I think it’s something to do with his AC joint, I’m not sure. I think it’s three weeks definitely. It all really depends on the scan.

“He’s been a key player for us. He’s like a Dyson hoover there, he mops up so much ball. Without him, we would be in a bit of trouble and it would probably mean my workload would have to increase!”

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

There is quite a few towns and villages i might add that has societal problems within Tipperary. Carrick has its fair share but Clonmel, Tipp Town, Nenagh, Roscrea (where there is a serious drug problem in the town), and Thurles, all have their issues. Being from a village myself i can tell you that there is an anti social element albeit to a lesser extent

chill out. Twas said in jest. You could hear a 'c'mon the swans' and 'up ballyneill' shouts. my oh is from there so i love slagging her off over the 'carrick crowd'. their buses stop here on the way home from the matches and to be fair they're a right shower. i haven't any experience with buses from other areas but i'm sure there's little difference;)

digzy wrote: »
    chill out. Twas said in jest. You could hear a 'c'mon the swans' and 'up ballyneill' shouts. my oh is from there so i love slagging her off over the 'carrick crowd'. their buses stop here on the way home from the matches and to be fair they're a right shower. i haven't any experience with buses from other areas but i'm sure there's little difference;)

Fair enough. Im not disagreeing with you believe you me. They are a tasty bunch no doubt down there.

Tipperary haven’t ruled out hitting the €25,000 a week spent on preparing their county teams three years ago.

Then county chairman Sean Nugent revealed the figure in late July of that season when they still had six inter-county teams in their respective competitions.

As things stand, Tipperary have five sides alive — senior hurlers, footballers, U21 hurlers, minor footballers and hurlers — having seen their U21 footballers reach the All-Ireland final in May.

The county accrued a deficit of close to €250,000 in 2012, their fifth annual loss in succession, but have since made a number of cost-cutting measures, slashing just over €1 million in expenditure in 2013, as well as introducing fundraising initiatives.
    READ NEXT Dreams shattered as no more days out for Longford

County secretary Tim Floyd acknowledged competing at different levels in both codes is costly but believes the demands on finances aren’t as taxing as before.

Lack of John Evans may be a factor here :pac:

Website got a bit of an upgrade i see. Looking well

http://tipperary.gaa.ie/

• Advertisement

What's the inside scoop on Paul Shanahan? Huge night for Hamill?

Heffernan seems to have passed him out in terms of development - certainly faster. Could do with getting a bit more physical... - but, he seems to be getting there. Big improvement in the last year

TJ Connolly: Tipperary success no pressure
    Thursday, July 16, 2015By Eoghan Cormican
    Tipperary U21 boss TJ Connolly is relishing the opportunity to complete a clean sweep of Munster hurling titles for the Premier County.

Tipperary have never secured the trio of Munster senior, U21 and minor crowns in one season, but with the two titles secured on Sunday, expectation is mounting on Connolly’s side to finish the job and make history.

His U21 team to face Limerick in this evening’s semi-final would appear as well equipped as any to deliver provincial glory, featuring as it does senior panellists Michael Breen, Ronan Maher, Barry Heffernan and Bill Maher.

Also included are UL Fitzgibbon Cup winner John McGrath and Tipperary footballer Colin O’Riordan.
    advertisement

READ NEXT Joe Kernan: Davey Byrne incident must not be scrutinised in isolation

“It has been said to me that there is wicked pressure on us to get a win, pressure on us not to be the first Tipperary team knocked out of the championship, but I don’t see it as pressure,” the manager remarked.

“I see it as motivation to try and keep the ball rolling. We are under no illusions that Limerick are a coming force at this age group, they are on their home turf and will be very hard to stop. They are coming off the back of a hard weekend so they will have all guns blazing. While we are coming off an excellent weekend, we still have to do our own work.

“We are not going to win on Thursday simply because Tipperary scored two big wins on Sunday. We have to go and be our own team, put aside what everyone did over the weekend, concentrate fully on ourselves and churn out a decent performance.

“We have massive leaders in our set-up. They spoke on Monday night and they don’t see it as pressure, they see it as motivation not to be part of the sole Tipperary team to be dumped out of the championship.”

Driving Connolly’s charges too is the sense of regret from the 2014 campaign. Eight of this evening’s team were in Cusack Park last July when Aaron Cunningham’s late, late point scuppered Tipperary’s semi-final bid against the then two-in-a-row All-Ireland champions. The home outfit would hit two goals in extra-time to seal victory.

“It was a long and hard winter to swallow what happened down there. To be so near and so close, but not to come away with the prize was frustrating. Moral victories aren’t any good to this team or management. We’ve been waiting a long time for July 16 to come.

“We have been going full tilt in our preparations since the Fitzgibbon Cup and All-Ireland U21 football championship ended. On that note, I have to say what a huge plus it is to have Colin O’Riordan. He has been 100% behind us all year.

“You can be sure he won’t be thinking of Tyrone (and the All-Ireland SFC qualifier) on Thursday, he’ll be doing everything to secure another win for Tipperary hurling.

“That is the kind of fellas he is.”

TIPPERARY:

P Maher (Moyne Templetuohy); J Peters (Kilruane MacDonaghs), M Breen (Ballina), T Fox (Eire Óg Anacarty); R Maher (Thurles Sarsfields), B Heffernan (Nenagh Éire Óg), T Hamill (Moyne Templetuohy); B Maher (Kilsheelan Kilcash), S Cahill (Thurles Sarsfields); B McCarthy (Thurles Sarsfields), P Shanahan (Upperchurch Drombane), W Connors (Kildangan); T Gallagher (Kildangan), C O’Riordan (JK Brackens), J McGrath (Loughmore Castleiney).

LIMERICK:

D McCarthy (Glenroe); M O’Callaghan (Knockaderry), R English (Doon), M Casey (Na Piarsaigh); D Byrnes (Patrickswell), B O’Connell (Kildimo/Pallaskenry), G Hegarty (St Patrick’s); D O’Donovan (Doon), P Ryan (Doon); R Hanley (Kilmallock), R Lynch (Na Piarsaigh), D Dempsey (Na Piarsaigh); K O’Brien (Patrickswell), T Morrissey (Ahane), C Lynch (Patrickswell).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Some beaten here lads, our first touch is bad so far

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Some beaten here lads, our first touch is bad so far
    being totally outclassed. o riordan goals only thing that has been much good and now he's off the field...

Lol 2-1 just after posting last reply

• Advertisement

Mcgrath Straight at the goalie seem like he didn't know what to do

• Registered Users Posts: 17,993 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Mcgrath Straight at the goalie seem like he didn't know what to do

Should have buried it. Some of the tipp lads are way off the pace.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Ompala

Our first touch has been brutal so far

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

We've not been great thus far but we're only 5 points down and we look like creating goal chances and we have the breeze. I'm optimistic of the lads pulling through in the second half

We've had some bad wides from play and placed balls

Some horrendous wides from tipp

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Ompala

How many wides did we hit?
    Very poor performance tbh

Ompala wrote: »
    How many wides did we hit?
    Very poor performance tbh

A team that looked like they spent little time training together to be honest.

Lets take nothing away from Limerick who gave a spirited performance against the wind and with 14 men but to be honest thats a poor return from Connolly and co. Granted he met a talented Clare and Limerick team but when the game was there for the winning the team who won the minor in 2012 couldnt seal the deal.

He cant use the dual player excuse either. O'riordan who wasnt great admittedly scored 2 goals and caught some amount of ball and Josh Keane was excellent too.

Lets take nothing away from Limerick who gave a spirited performance against the wind and with 14 men but to be honest thats a poor return from Connolly and co. Granted he met a talented Clare and Limerick team but when the game was there for the winning the team who won the minor in 2012 couldnt seal the deal.

He cant use the dual player excuse either. O'riordan who wasnt great admittedly scored 2 goals and caught some amount of ball and Josh Keane was excellent too.

100% this. A very talented collection of players but not enough time spent together.

O'Riordan needs hurling and lots of it. He looks very rusty. Has a big decision to make if he wants to make the step up to senior.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

O'Riordan needs hurling and lots of it. He looks very rusty. Has a big decision to make if he wants to make the step up to senior.

Its starting to dawn on me after all of these years that the reason Noel flattered to deceive for such a long time is because he was burnt out. History is in danger of repeating itself here. We need to start minding some of these lads

After tonight id honestly prefer O'Riordan to stay with the footballers. He's a classy footballer and while he is a super fielder (which admittedly has been a huge weak point for us for years) he doesnt seem to have the hurling in him. Same with Bill Maher. Honest lad but he didnt look u21 standard tonight let alone senior. That said Cahill was poor in midfield beside him.

I was impressed with Josh Keane and Jack Shelly though. Shelly is made of iron. Didnt even flinch after taking the hurl across the chest

• Site Banned Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Spirit of 67

Its starting to dawn on me after all of these years that the reason Noel flattered to deceive for such a long time is because he was burnt out. History is in danger of repeating itself here. We need to start minding some of these lads

After tonight id honestly prefer O'Riordan to stay with the footballers. He's a classy footballer and while he is a super fielder (which admittedly has been a huge weak point for us for years) he doesnt seem to have the hurling in him. Same with Bill Maher. Honest lad but he didnt look u21 standard tonight let alone senior. That said Cahill was poor in midfield beside him.

I was impressed with Josh Keane and Jack Shelly though. Shelly is made of iron. Didnt even flinch after taking the hurl across the chest

Told you all that over a year ago , spoke to some lads from Templemore and they said he`s too awkward and doesn`t have the touch needed to play the Hurley !

Told you all that over a year ago , spoke to some lads from Templemore and they said he`s too awkward and doesn`t have the touch needed to play the Hurley !

Great catcher and distributor if you could have a lad to feed off them but given the huge investment in football we'd be better if he gave his years to that. I work with a lad from Templemore and he rates him highly but id say more in an overall sense.

I'd much prefer if he stuck to the football. He's the star on that team going forward and his prime years are ahead.

Some good performances tonight to be optimistic about. Thought Josh Keane had a good influence on the game when he was introduced.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Tipp may have won the minor in 2012 but changes over three years can be huge...
    demands on players at u21 are so different... the dual player issue can be looked at. should how the guys who want to play both be looked at differently?

When you say "he doesn't have the hurling in him" what would you have done differently? Were some of our key guys looking slightly over cooked? As they did to me. As in trying to do too much... How do we change that so the players have better, their teams do better as a result etc
    O Riordan clearly is a very good hurler but most likely this weekends game for footballers would have been on his mind

I'd much prefer if he stuck to the football. He's the star on that team going forward and his prime years are ahead.

Some good performances tonight to be optimistic about. Thought Josh Keane had a good influence on the game when he was introduced.

Real good time for this young fellow. Has a real Bonnar Maher attitude about him. Works tirelessly for the team. I remember the u21 semi v Dublin back in April and Josh was the stand out player.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Xenophile

O'Riordan's first love is footbal

Bill Maher's best option is also football

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

Tipp may have won the minor in 2012 but changes over three years can be huge...
    demands on players at u21 are so different... the dual player issue can be looked at. should how the guys who want to play both be looked at differently?

When you say "he doesn't have the hurling in him" what would you have done differently? Were some of our key guys looking slightly over cooked? As they did to me. As in trying to do too much... How do we change that so the players have better, their teams do better as a result etc
    O Riordan clearly is a very good hurler but most likely this weekends game for footballers would have been on his mind

He is an excellent fielder but he isnt the type of lad who can take the point over his shoulder tbf. He probably doesnt give the same amount of time to hurling as he does to football. That said it would be unfair to single him out as the whole team were sloppy tonight apart from Breen. I thought Hamill wasnt too bad also. John Mcgrath looked in no way fit too play either.

To be fair also the fact he is juggling two different codes within two days is a factor.

Xenophile wrote: »

After tonight i tend to agree. In the same way Jack Shelly and John Mcgrath would be better served for the hurlers, the boys would prove far better footballers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Xenophile wrote: »

Having said that Tipp played too much of a tippy tappy game without being nearly direct enough. First goal for Limerick was a good example.

I take nothing from Limerick, Munster needs them up there, their minors were probably the better team on Sunday and they were robbed of time if nothing else!

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement