Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2015

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

Teams will always try everything to get their star players on the field - no matter what

Tipp given a serious wake up call as to the standard of fitness, physicality, work-rate, and the concentration within a system required to play top-tier championship football.

That might break a few players and the better ones will learn from it and come back stronger.

However, an issue might be a few lads toying with hurling and football might choose to go with hurling, if their good enough, after such a defeat....

Tipp given a serious wake up call as to the standard of fitness, physicality, work-rate, and the concentration within a system required to play top-tier championship football.

That might break a few players and the better ones will learn from it and come back stronger.

However, an issue might be a few lads toying with hurling and football might choose to go with hurling, if their good enough, after such a defeat....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,969 ✭✭✭Big Ears

One of our starting midfielders in Hannigan injured, one of the potential replacements for him in Ian Fahy also injured, One of our top 2 players overall and another midfielder in Steven O'Brien had to start.......injured. When he comes off, his replacement Casey gets sent off straight away. Finally Colin O'Riordan, who was forced to play midfield because of all the rest of this madness looked leg weary after playing in the U21 two days ago.

We dealt badly with Tyrone's defensive system, kicked for scores stupidly at times in the first half and in the 2nd ran into groups off opposition defenders with little rhyme or reason. As Sky pointed out before the game our inside forwards don't work back enough either.

However with all that said, considering the events in the first paragraph, we probably never had a chance without a fit midfield. O'Riordan actually did very well in the first half considering he had played less than 48 hours before and O'Brien did his best, but he just wasn't fit. Meanwhile Casey was idiotic with his stamp.

It's a disappointing day to be a Tipp football fan, but I'm still convinced there's plenty of ability in this team. We just need to get that bit wiser tactically.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Did someone tell Tipp to whatever they do --do not shoot when you get the ball to 50 yards out in the second half and a decent wind behind you but instead try and walk the ball through a wall of Tyrone players for the full 39 mins even when you are a man short:confused:
    That was ok in the first half playing into a breeze when you could not shoot from that distance but surely any possesion gained from midfield in after the break they should have had a go as they were just carrying the ball into trouble the whole time.I think they took 4 shots,one in the first minute that dropped under the bar,one from the end line when they already had 2-3 easier postions to score,the pointed free and maybe one other time.
    They still worked the ball up loads of times before the sending off which finished the game but no way would they go for a score,lose the ball and then Tyrone tacked on 3-4 points and the heads went down--why then not even try some long balls into the full forward line and put someone big inside--but no let's keep trying to walk the thing in for the whole half-maybe they thought they were still playing Louth:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

I see Creedon has stepped down

Seven Worlds will Collide

What a difference one week and one game makes...

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=241178

• Registered Users Posts: 17,993 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Poor poor stuff from tipp. 2 points from play in 75 minutes is unacceptable. The indiscipline displayed was disappointing. Forwards were hopeless once shoved unto their weak foot which Tyrone did throughout the game. Worst of all though was that we couldn't match Tyrone for work rate. Until we get that right we're on the road to no where!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Who should we get as new manager? Id be on for a top coach from one of the strong counties. Not only does our players not have the nous or experience to take on big teams but our managers dont either. A young candidate from one of the stronger counties that is looking to cut his teeth in management might be just the ticket in my opinion. A Ciaran Whelan perhaps? Even a Pat Gilroy might bring stability to the setup.

Absolutely. As i alluded to a few weeks ago, it would be fantastic to get 7 of those type of opponents in the league before we meet them in the Championship. It would battle harden us.

If our hurlers were for example to drop to 1A it would put a serious dent into our all ireland ambitions so we cant . its no coincidence that Dublin dominate Leinster football because of their Div 1 status by comparison to the rest who fluctuate between 2, 3 and 4.

• Advertisement

I see Creedon has stepped down

Im grateful for Peter Creedon for what he has done for Tipp football at both underage and getting us promotion back to 3. He was only ever going to bring us so far but he has given us a decent basis going forward. I wish him well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

The hurlers get more criticism when they win then the footballers do when they lose. Based on today and the Kerry game we won't be winning any all Irelands before 2020....

The hurlers get more criticism when they win then the footballers do when they lose. Based on today and the Kerry game we won't be winning any all Irelands before 2020....

While i always like to see teams aim for better, '2020' was pulled straight out of the arse of some county board suit who never played the game although to be fair i think that figure was originally mooted back in 2008 iirc.

We're making progress in my opinion and there is plenty there to work with albeit were still a little raw and naive.

In 2010, Donegal were stink and in 2012 they were Champions so i think we could learn a bit from their mentality and preparation. Im not advocating a shift toward puke football but i do think we are still lightyears behind the big teams where it matters. Our mental preparation and tactical preparation needs alot of sharpening.

Fair to say that Tipp hurling and football still operate at a different level despite the relative progress at football. We're elite in hurling and traditionally always have been but we are playing catch up in football. We need more help and expertise in terms of the modern game

• Registered Users Posts: 14,695 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

The Colin O' Riordan issue needs to be sorted. That was a serious mess in fairness. 3x 70 minute games in a week, only taken off today when the game was effectively over.

• Site Banned Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Spirit of 67

The thing that is holding back Tipp Football is the standard of Club Football , we have a Team but no Panel based on this . Also can you see any other County with Players like O`Halloran who might play Junior towards the end of the year and O`Brien who won`t play Club Football this year !

Sad to see Peter go , disappointed he didn`t stay and try to get us out of Division 3 . A really nice fellow , never forget after the Division 4 Final last year our Bus broke down just outside Dublin , one of the Team Buses was behind us and allowed us to get on , Peter done everything he could to make us welcome !

• Site Banned Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Spirit of 67

Big Ears wrote: »
    One of our starting midfielders in Hannigan injured, one of the potential replacements for him in Ian Fahy also injured, One of our top 2 players overall and another midfielder in Steven O'Brien had to start.......injured. When he comes off, his replacement Casey gets sent off straight away. Finally Colin O'Riordan, who was forced to play midfield because of all the rest of this madness looked leg weary after playing in the U21 two days ago.

We dealt badly with Tyrone's defensive system, kicked for scores stupidly at times in the first half and in the 2nd ran into groups off opposition defenders with little rhyme or reason. As Sky pointed out before the game our inside forwards don't work back enough either.

However with all that said, considering the events in the first paragraph, we probably never had a chance without a fit midfield. O'Riordan actually did very well in the first half considering he had played less than 48 hours before and O'Brien did his best, but he just wasn't fit. Meanwhile Casey was idiotic with his stamp.

It's a disappointing day to be a Tipp football fan, but I'm still convinced there's plenty of ability in this team. We just need to get that bit wiser tactically.

Hannigan . . . . no loss ! What I hear is Fahey is burned out !

Promotion to Division 2 has to be the priority , forget about winning Munster or an AI for now . Also continue the good work at underage , plenty of nuggets out there !

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

The thing that is holding back Tipp Football is the standard of Club Football, we have a Team but no Panel based on this. Also can you see any other County with Players like O`Halloran who might play Junior towards the end of the year and O`Brien who won`t play Club Football this year!

Sad to see Peter go, disappointed he didn't stay and try to get us out of Division 3. A really nice fellow, never forget after the Division 4 Final last year our Bus broke down just outside Dublin, one of the Team Buses was behind us and allowed us to get on, Peter done everything he could to make us welcome!
    Say what you about guys playing junior or club football but that isn't an issue if they can also play senior like what happens in Kerry/Cork... plenty of guys in their senior squads can only and do only play senior club championship because of a divisional side. If its good enough for them its good enough for us. getting more divisional type sides is needed,
    Hannigan . . . . no loss! What I hear is Fahey is burned out!

Promotion to Division 2 has to be the priority, forget about winning Munster or an AI for now. Also continue the good work at underage, plenty of nuggets out there!
    Hannigan comments :rolleyes:
    What would you want done to keep improving underage football....

I don't want to be totally negative. But, we don't have a top ten championship team.

The top four/five are miles ahead of the rest - the teams five to ten are a good bit behind them and there is as much a gap then between 10 and 15 group.

All for reasons you've outlined particularly club championship. And to be fair resources. But, tradition and strength in depth are factors which tie in with club championship. But, for me, the difference in conditioning between the Tyrone lads and Tipp lads - in terms of physique and to keep running overlaps in the last five minutes of a game - was glaring. Tyrone came down and brought their championship game - Tipp couldn't live with it. Getting up the leagues is great - but, its not championship football. Roscommon will tell you that. Only years of getting to last 12 and last 8 at championship will bring players on- going to places and facing teams like Donegal, Tyrone, Kerry, and Dublin. Experiencing the pace, power, and intensity necessary...trying to improve that way. league gains are great. But, it's just not championship.

IN hurling, KK almost got relegated in the league - yet, after the last few week's hurling nobody would bet against them retaining the ALL-IRELAND.

how about trying to poach Liam Kearns or Jack O'Connor as a coach - with someone like Ciaran Whelan or Kevin McStay or James Horan as manager. David Power should be involved - to gain more experience - with a view to taking over. Get him back from Wexford, We've no chance of getting Jim McGuinness

Would love to see James Horan get the job. Top man. Brough mayo from the doldrums to almost winning Sam maguire. Can't see him traveling down from Breaffy 3 nights a week though, it's a painful drive.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

Spirit had a tough day yesterday - he is Tipp football through and through. Let the man mourn and get things off his chest

Do you think Creedon could be/should be persuaded to stay on?

Cappawhite relegated Friday night btw

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Would love to see James Horan get the job. Top man. Brough mayo from the doldrums to almost winning Sam maguire. Can't see him traveling down from Breaffy 3 nights a week though, it's a painful drive.
    Not a hope will we get Horan.
    Don't think Creedon will want to come back now he's quit. A new voice could help us but most important thing is getting more high quality games and that can only be achieved by getting up to division 2

It's an immediate emotional decision after a game so there is a chance he could be persuaded. But, I doubt he is a man to go back on his decisions. I was more interested in the should element of the question...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,058 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

It's an immediate emotional decision after a game so there is a chance he could be persuaded. But, I doubt he is a man to go back on his decisions. I was more interested in the should element of the question...

i think he came very close to leaving last year aswell too, but the next appointment will be crucial , tipp would be better off with someone like david power or someone local rather then going for a more high profile manager

no easy job managing the tipp footballers , i seen from first hand how low some of the attendances can be i was at the game in thurles earlier this year where there was no more then 500 in a 53000 stadium , there was also alot of added pressure with the recent underage success , very hard for teams to compete with hurling in munster and top that by probably having to beat kerry just to win a provincial title , he done ant excellent job none the less

• Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Yes

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Just watching the highlights on the sg.
    For all the talk of "progress" by our footballers that 2nd half showing was the worst 35 mins from us in a long time.

From being the whipping boys for a long time we've gotten to a point where we've gotten the better of teams like Laois/ Wexford lately. However, loosing like that is a calamity. If creedon feels the time is up, his decision should be respected. He obviously feels he's brought them as far as he can. Time to move on.

Even the most optimistic of us has to concede we're a long way short of even "second tier" teams.

If it werent for the distance he would be the absolute ideal appointment. We need a young manager that is battle hardened in terms of managing a the very top in recent times though. He does fit that profile albeit only for the fact he would probably never travel to Thurles from Mayo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

Jason Forde gave an outstanding display to help the Mines beat Roscrea yesterday, he seems to have taken his game to a new level. Poor game between Sars and Drom, 2 Sars goals in quick succession midway through the second half finished the game. Denis Maher hurled in the half back line and helped to keep Callanan quiet, Callanan missed a couple of bad frees and he was poor. Larry got 2 nice points but his man scored 3 so it was a mixed day for him. Pa Bourke had a fine game and Ronan Maher was also strong for Thurles but I thought Michael Cahill looked to be lacking his trademark pace and sharpness. Drom look to have gone backwards and Sars will now be very hard to stop from defending their title.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement