Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2015

Options

Comments

Rasputin11 wrote: »
    Jason Forde gave an outstanding display to help the Mines beat Roscrea yesterday, he seems to have taken his game to a new level. Poor game between Sars and Drom, 2 Sars goals in quick succession midway through the second half finished the game. Denis Maher hurled in the half back line and helped to keep Callanan quiet, Callanan missed a couple of bad frees and he was poor. Larry got 2 nice points but his man scored 3 so it was a mixed day for him. Pa Bourke had a fine game and Ronan Maher was also strong for Thurles but I thought Michael Cahill looked to be lacking his trademark pace and sharpness. Drom look to have gone backwards and Sars will now be very hard to stop from defending their title.

Still only divisional stage though. Knockout is when it will get interesting. Dont write off Drom yet.

Not a hope will we get Horan.
    Don't think Creedon will want to come back now he's quit. A new voice could help us but most important thing is getting more high quality games and that can only be achieved by getting up to division 2

I think Buddy was alluding to the fact that its the standard we need to be aiming for in terms of bringing us to the next level provided we are actually serious about becoming a top football county. A young hungry coach who has a point to prove rather then an old bluffer looking for another spin on the managerial merry go round.

Although perhaps we have our own 'Cheddar Plunkett' type on our doorstep? who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

I think Buddy was alluding to the fact that its the standard we need to be aiming for in terms of bringing us to the next level provided we are actually serious about becoming a top football county. A young hungry coach who has a point to prove rather then an old bluffer looking for another spin on the managerial merry go round.

Although perhaps we have our own 'Cheddar Plunkett' type on our doorstep? who knows.
    Who would you have in mind as a realistic option then? The guys like that are not going to look at sides who hover between the divisions 3/4 with the odd excursion into division 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Noel McGrath played a full game plus extra time for Loughmore. Good to see him being able to last the distance. Hopefully he gets a bit of rest now. I'd say he's aiming to be fit for the Semi Finals. Hopefully he's not overused in the next few weeks. I would of thought a full match plus extra time would be a step to far but he seems to have come out of it fine.

Who would you have in mind as a realistic option then? The guys like that are not going to look at sides who hover between the divisions 3/4 with the odd excursion into division 2.

Hard to know really. I mentioned Pat Gilroy earlier even if he was to take it for a year the travel time wouldnt be too long. Either way, our goal next year should be to obtain promotion to division 2. Monaghan yesterday give a great source of encouragement to those trying to break into that top group although they have one serious talent in Ciaran McManus.

• Advertisement

Hard to know really. I mentioned Pat Gilroy earlier even if he was to take it for a year the travel time wouldnt be too long. Either way, our goal next year should be to obtain promotion to division 2. Monaghan yesterday give a great source of encouragement to those trying to break into that top group although they have one serious talent in Ciaran McManus.
    I just don't see guys like that dropping down to a division 3 side who are a few steps off being a top 12 side. We are a county who could really do so much better in gaelic w/ change in championship structure but that isn't going to happen, at least not for a while

• Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Before we appoint a new football Manager let's see how Charlie McGeever gets on for the finish of the season with the minors.

He is a Northerner and if he has been watching and studying them he should be able to understand the psyche of blanket defences.

I wish to pay tribute here to the honest endeavor Peter Creedon has made with the footballers over the last few years.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭buggy beag

Will colin o riordain get called up to the hurlers now or is he better off having a rest for the rest of the year?or is he as previous posters have said maybe not good enough to be involved at all?would he be a good addition to the bench?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,695 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

buggy beag wrote: »
    Will colin o riordain get called up to the hurlers now or is he better off having a rest for the rest of the year?or is he as previous posters have said maybe not good enough to be involved at all?would he be a good addition to the bench?

The Senior Hurlers? Not a hope

buggy beag wrote: »
    Is he good enough? would he not be better off just playing club games over remainder of the year. Loads of time once finished up with under 21 grade to play county senior hurling

Anyone at club games tonight?
    Saw few minutes at start of Port Toome but not much more than that. Port won 1-16 to 0-16 to reach North final
    Killenaule beat Mullinahone 3-19 to 2-16. They will play winner of Mullinahone and Ballingarry in the final

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

callaway92 wrote: »
    The Senior Hurlers? Not a hope

Was he not called into the squad last year after the footballers lost to Galway ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,993 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

He could be an option off the bench, imo we have very little impact off the bench, especially attacking wise, could stick him in at the edge of the square.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

From what I've seen of him though he's awkward enough, gets hooked and blocked down alot and always tries to turn back onto his strong side. He wouldn't get a sniff against kk. Good aerial ability though, a ball winning forward which are extremely scarce in tipp. Should be called up imo, but he needs to concentrate on hurling and be at 100%fitness, anything less won't work.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

digzy wrote: »
    Was he not called into the squad last year after the footballers lost to Galway ?
    You're right,he was and I hope he's called up again this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,695 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Is he good enough? would he not be better off just playing club games over remainder of the year. Loads of time once finished up with under 21 grade to play county senior hurling

Ya, this is basically what will happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

Lads I might be a bit thick and missed this but do ye realise that the tickets are on sale for the Semi-final already? I got 3 tickets for lower cusack paid for. If everyone knew this then I apologise for my stupidity but if this is breaking news then you're welcome ;)

On gaa.ie

GerB40 wrote: »
    Lads I might be a bit thick and missed this but do ye realise that the tickets are on sale for the Semi-final already? I got 3 tickets for lower cusack paid for. If everyone knew this then I apologise for my stupidity but if this is breaking news then you're welcome ;)

On gaa.ie
    Well there won't be any shortage of tickets for the semi final, usually jobs more than 60000 people there.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

Well there won't be any shortage of tickets for the semi final, usually jobs more than 60000 people there.

Oh I know that but to have them in your hands well in advance is grand..

• Registered Users Posts: 9 SuperBunny

Anyone at club games tonight?
    Saw few minutes at start of Port Toome but not much more than that. Port won 1-16 to 0-16 to reach North final
    Killenaule beat Mullinahone 3-19 to 2-16. They will play winner of Mullinahone and Ballingarry in the final

Port are through to the semi-final vs Kildangan, not the final

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

He could be an option off the bench, imo we have very little impact off the bench, especially attacking wise, could stick him in at the edge of the square.

Very little impact....Lar Dinny Maher Gar Ryan MIckey Cahill Noel to come in Foxy O Brien the Saint COM.....actually think your way off there

• Advertisement

Very little impact....Lar Dinny Maher Gar Ryan MIckey Cahill Noel to come in Foxy O Brien the Saint COM.....actually think your way off there

Larry came on the last day and was decent. Noel still a while off. Are you seriously suggesting Conor o mahony, Saint and foxy as players who can come off the bench and change the game if we're behind against kk?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Also from what I'm hearing Mickey Cahill hasn't been right since his injury and has lost his pace.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

I'm suggesting that we have a strong bench. Don't think the 3 lads you mention are necessarily match winners in a scoring context but they are good options defensively. Lar Dinny Gar aren't bad options from the bench attacking wise. Your original post referenced our weakness from the bench in particular attack I'm just pointing out to you that its not as bad a picture as you paint.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

Also from what I'm hearing Mickey Cahill hasn't been right since his injury and has lost his pace.

I heard the same, the operation didn't go as well as anticipated. He didn't look to have the same explosive pace Sunday evening as when he was injury free.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

I met him a few months back. Woeful injury. I'd be surprised if he comes back as good as he was previously. Nice modest lad. Heading back to college in sep to study Physio.

I'm suggesting that we have a strong bench. Don't think the 3 lads you mention are necessarily match winners in a scoring context but they are good options defensively. Lar Dinny Gar aren't bad options from the bench attacking wise. Your original post referenced our weakness from the bench in particular attack I'm just pointing out to you that its not as bad a picture as you paint.

Lar will probably start given how poor the forwards were the Last day. Denis and gearoid are good players, work hard but I wouldn't call them impact players. They're not likely to come off the bench and change the game.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

Lar will probably start given how poor the forwards were the Last day. Denis and gearoid are good players, work hard but I wouldn't call them impact players. They're not likely to come off the bench and change the game.

Who do you drop to put lar in?
    My own thoughts are that bonnar's attitude has rubbed off on a lot of our forwards and they have all raised their work rate. He has now become the victim as the high intensity that he plays at isn't as prominent anymore.
    I think out of the 6 forwards that started the Munster final he's probably the easiest one to make a case to drop but losing him probably removes too much physicality out of the forwards.
    I'd have him in the team ahead of lar anyway

With regards to Denis and Gearoid, I think they're both good players but I don't see either of them coming on and swinging a game in our favour. I think Shane Bourke offers more off the bench

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭buggy beag

OAOB wrote:
    With regards to Denis and Gearoid, I think they're both good players but I don't see either of them coming on and swinging a game in our favour. I think Shane Bourke offers more off the bench

Ya shane always offers at least a point from off the bench

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭dcrosskid

OAOB wrote: »
    Who do you drop to put lar in?
    My own thoughts are that bonnar's attitude has rubbed off on a lot of our forwards and they have all raised their work rate. He has now become the victim as the high intensity that he plays at isn't as prominent anymore.
    I think out of the 6 forwards that started the Munster final he's probably the easiest one to make a case to drop but losing him probably removes too much physicality out of the forwards.
    I'd have him in the team ahead of lar anyway

Is that a serious post? Bonnar, Callanan & Bubbles are undroppable based on their performances over the last 2 years & more. He has 5 points from play scored in 2 games which is excellent compared to other years & he still sets the tone in terms of work rate. I can't believe someone actually thinks he's our most droppable forward, most indispensable more like.

Also Denis Maher made an impression everytime he was introduced last year as an impact sub.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

dcrosskid wrote: »
    Is that a serious post? Bonnar, Callanan & Bubbles are undroppable based on their performances over the last 2 years & more. He has 5 points from play scored in 2 games which is excellent compared to other years & he still sets the tone in terms of work rate. I can't believe someone actually thinks he's our most droppable forward, most indispensable more like.

Also Denis Maher made an impression everytime he was introduced last year as an impact sub.

It was a response to the point that Lar should be brought in to the team. From the 6 forwards that started the Munster final we have Callanan, Bubbles and Forde who we rely on to get the scores and Niall O'Meara, Bonnar and Brendan who are there to do the ugly work and pop up with a score or two.
    My own opinion is that Bonnar isn't as effective as he was 2 years ago, his work rate is still brilliant but so is everyone elses. Through 2 games this year he hasn't been the goal threat we're used to.
    I wouldn't drop him or any other of the starting 6 but i don't think he's undroppable either. No point basing our opinion on him over the last 2 years, i'm judging him by what I've seen so far this year

Denis Maher doesn't convince me yet, he scored 3 points last year which i know doesn't tell the whole story of his input to me but if we're talking about impact subs i don't think he's one

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement