Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2015

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

Drinking every weekend is quite normal and nowhere near the alcoholic levels of Jason Robinson!!!!

On one occasion, he was charged with assault after an evening of drinking, and failed to appear in court to answer the charges. By then, he had fathered a son with a woman he had no intention of living with and Amanda, his future wife, was pregnant with Cameron. It all became too much.
    "I wanted to change - but how? In a drawer in my kitchen, I had a set of knives that were a present from my mum. One of them was a cleaver. I took it from the set and held it in my hand. I just felt so low. I thought: I really can't go on like this, can't cope with more heartache.
    "I can't say I was going to take my life, but I sat there, considering the problems I faced and thought I could end all the misery. But, deep inside, I knew there had to be another answer and I put the knife away."

Robinson, who scored for England in the 2003 World Cup final victory against Australia, said: 'I got into a situation where I was drinking sometimes six nights a week.
    Former England ace Jason Robinson, pictured in 2007, has revealed he contemplated committed suicide
    +4
    Former England ace Jason Robinson, pictured in 2007, has revealed he contemplated committed suicide
    Robinson played a key role in England's 2003 World Cup win against Australia in Sydney
    +4
    Robinson played a key role in England's 2003 World Cup win against Australia in Sydney
    'Monday it was Wakefield, 10 pence a pint night. Tuesday I would be over to Liverpool, Wednesday it would be Oldham. Thursday it would be Wigan. And after the game we would go out wherever.'
    However, it was his arrest for affray, assault and criminal damage which left him considering an attempt on his own life and he credits then team-mate and Samoa star Va'aiga Tuigamala with turning things around.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Lost sheep, I'd get rid of the provincial finals if the above format was adopted. Don't get me wrong, munster final day is the best day on the hurling calendar but two systems combined wouldn't work.

The 4 or less bonus point was just a suggestion it could easily be 3 points but I think 4 points would be more attainable for the weaker counties and would give them something to play for even if they're 5 or 6 points behind at half time.

Likewise, you could give bonus point for a certain number of goals scored, ie 3, would lead to some exciting games and would hopefully get rid of the negative tactics which have entered the game. My only fear or this would be that the weaker teams would get hockeyed, and nobody wants to see that.
    I wouldn't get rid of provincial championships as by removing them you remove 2 more chances for teams to win silverware and that isn't good from any angle. The reason I said three points was simply the goal being equal to t.
    Having a bonus point for scoring goals wouldn't change things about teams getting hockeyed...

You can hear Ritchie on the championship here:

http://www.newstalk.com/podcasts/Off_The_Ball/GAA_on_Off_The_Ball/100812/

I have to say I love this guy's attitude, sounds as class as a person as he is a hurler and that's saying something. Fantastic insight into sportsperson who just loves to play

• Registered Users Posts: 17,992 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I wouldn't get rid of provincial championships as by removing them you remove 2 more chances for teams to win silverware and that isn't good from any angle. The reason I said three points was simply the goal being equal to t.
    Having a bonus point for scoring goals wouldn't change things about teams getting hockeyed...

Well if my system was implemented then the provincial championships would become worthless anyway. There's only some many matches per season possible,remember club games need to go on also. You could possibly run the league by dividing up the munster and leinster teams but again don't think it would make any difference. You already have Galway, Antrim and kerry playing in leinster so the provincial teams are so mixed now. Also, the champions league soccer has been used and an example for the hurling and there's only one chance for silverware there!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Well if my system was implemented then the provincial championships would become worthless anyway. There's only some many matches per season possible,remember club games need to go on also. You could possibly run the league by dividing up the munster and leinster teams but again don't think it would make any difference. You already have Galway, Antrim and kerry playing in leinster so the provincial teams are so mixed now. Also, the champions league soccer has been used and an example for the hurling and there's only one chance for silverware there!
    Why would the provincial championships become worthless in any system? Value in winning. Munster final day still of huge value.
    Champions league structure in a championship still means provincial championships will be played. There would still be more than 1 chance of silverware

• Advertisement

Ritchie Hogan makes a very good point that it's not about the munster or leinster championship - it's about the actual matches and the rivalries between teams - dosen't matter what championship its in. The actual game is king - he wants more games...

Why would the provincial championships become worthless in any system? Value in winning. Munster final day still of huge value.
    Champions league structure in a championship still means provincial championships will be played. There would still be more than 1 chance of silverware

Because the ultimate goal for every team would be to win the all Ireland and that would take 9 games and the munster championship would have no bearing on that. Like evolving said, it's about rivalries not so much provincial championships. Leinster championship carries little significance these days anyway.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

The munster championship is great but so was the cup winners cup in soccer. The soccer champions league wouldn't be as good as it is today if cup winners cup was still going. Provincial championships need to go imo if we are to move forward.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Because the ultimate goal for every team would be to win the all Ireland and that would take 9 games and the munster championship would have no bearing on that. Like evolving said, it's about rivalries not so much provincial championships. Leinster championship carries little significance these days anyway.
    Teams ultimate goals generally are the all Ireland and provincial championships not having a bearing on all Ireland will still keep an importance. Its real do or die. There still would be Munster final day in Thurles etc.
    Leinster championship carries little significance but Munster does in a great way and why take away whats probably the best provincial championship across both codes when that's an unnecessary step?

The munster championship is great but so was the cup winners cup in soccer. The soccer champions league wouldn't be as good as it is today if cup winners cup was still going. Provincial championships need to go imo if we are to move forward.
    Not at all. There is too much to lose by getting rid of them. Keep them but have them as straight knockout and no impact on all Ireland then.

• Advertisement

Teams ultimate goals generally are the all Ireland and provincial championships not having a bearing on all Ireland will still keep an importance. Its real do or die.

Well it's not really do or die though, we're talking about the system I proposed. Winning the munster final or getting knocked out in the first round has no effect on the all Ireland series as everyone would be back to square one anyway. Teams would not take either championship seriously if it has no bearing on the all Ireland. It would ultimately became an intermediate championship imo.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Well it's not really do or die though, we're talking about the system I proposed. Winning the munster final or getting knocked out in the first round has no effect on the all Ireland series as everyone would be back to square one anyway. Teams would not take either championship seriously if it has no bearing on the all Ireland. It would ultimately became an intermediate championship imo.
    I don't see how it would and it is do or die for the championship. Look at Clare. Havent won Munster since 1997. It wouldn't matter how Munster is played out they want another title. How would this change put it like an intermediate championship. Teams will hardly not out weaker teams. The intensity of games and all your useless buzz words like passion etc... will still be the same.

and all your useless buzz words like passion etc... will still be the same.

Why always with the insults, Sheep? buzzwords...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

I sense a ban coming on if this keeps up........

And the week of a semi final too:o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,187 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

A few days to go to an all Ireland semi final and the main talk here is like 'winter talk' about changing the championship format. I said it here earlier and I will say it again, Galway see us as being wide open to a bit of skelping next Sunday. We need to be well prepared and maybe even 'retaliate first' on Sunday. I really am concerned about sunday and TBH I feel if we win Sunday we will beat Kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

COB in for Breen, the only change for Sunday I've been told.

Rasputin11 wrote: »

Oh dear Lord

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

That's OK, He's a versatile bloke. Now if he was in foe Paudie Maher that would be another matter.

Lads who do we want marking Joe Canning?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭Paarthurnax

Lads who do we want marking Joe Canning?
    Paudi fitness permitting, here's a bit of nostalgia where he didnt score from play. Brings back good memories!!
    http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/tipp-feast-on-galway-carcass-1.998054

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

I'd have Barry on Canning, he's a tight marker but is smart enough to know when to play the man and when to play the ball.
    My concern is our best man at winning the dropping ball is Paudie and he was taken to the cleaners by Glynn last year so what plan have we for dealing with him?

CoB was the obvious choice to step in at cb in my opinion. He'll be targeted by Galway I'm sure

Somebody needs to hit Andy Smith a flake in the first 5 minutes. He thrives on it if anyone shy's back from him.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Paudi fitness permitting, here's a bit of nostalgia where he didnt score from play. Brings back good memories!!
    http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/tipp-feast-on-galway-carcass-1.998054

That was some full back line!
    M Cahill, P Maher, B Maher

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

Somebody needs to hit Andy Smith a flake in the first 5 minutes. He thrives on it if anyone shy's back from him.

Very hard to get away with that stuff anymore, better to focus on out playing him rather than getting involved in that nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Xenophile

And get a red or a yellow card, the day for this type of approach is well gone.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

Very hard to get away with that stuff anymore, better to focus on out playing him rather than getting involved in that nonsense.

Well if it doesn't happen Smith will have a field day mark my words.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Always makes me laugh, Smith's hard man attitude. I'm always happy when i see him carrying on like that cos you know he's not concentrating on hurling. I think it's counterproductive. He gets booked nearly every game he indulges in it and is then walking on eggshells in case he gets a second yellow. He's well able to hurl when he focuses on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭dcrosskid

OAOB wrote: »
    I'd have Barry on Canning, he's a tight marker but is smart enough to know when to play the man and when to play the ball.
    My concern is our best man at winning the dropping ball is Paudie and he was taken to the cleaners by Glynn last year so what plan have we for dealing with him?

CoB was the obvious choice to step in at cb in my opinion. He'll be targeted by Galway I'm sure

Barry will play full back regardless of who is full forward & rightly so. He's our best option for that position & regardless of who is full forward he has to stay there.

I presume you mean Conor O Mahoney rather than COB? If COB does play it will surely be corner back probably marking Whelan. Ronan Maher, Paudie & bergin will probably be the half back line so I think whoever picks up Glynn just need to clever under the dropping ball, don't try & catch it but just get a touch to keep him from winning primary possession. If we can keep Canning & Mannion quiet we should pull through.

Is Breen injured or just dropped?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

citykat wrote: »
    Always makes me laugh, Smith's hard man attitude. I'm always happy when i see him carrying on like that cos you know he's not concentrating on hurling. I think it's counterproductive. He gets booked nearly every game he indulges in it and is then walking on eggshells in case he gets a second yellow. He's well able to hurl when he focuses on it.

Heres a fact. We played Galway one time in a challenge game, Smith started a flare up early in the second half. Several players got involved but the Tipp boys were shy enough afterwards. The Galway selectors had that incident pencilled in as the number one note from that game for future reference.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement