Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,187 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Rasputin11 wrote: »
    Would it not be obvious then that Kilkenny have had better players than us in the last 5 years? Better players and more physically strong players. Hurling is still a very skill based game and 3/16 wins for us surely points to them having more skill than our players.

OK would you agree that we matched them for skill, had equally good players, matched them physically in the drawn final last year ? Answer is yes obviously, it was a draw.
    Did they harass/harangue/crowd/shove us around the field the second day? Answer is also yes and we lost again. This has to stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

This has to stop.
    Agreed :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

Hopefully, just a run of real bad luck

Can't agree - pressure through blocking, hooking, shouldering, and physical attention is more about fitness and hunger than toughness or strength...

KK are one of the most successful teams of all time and one of the great hurling teams - running them close on many championship occasions is not shying back...

Your analysis and dismissal of Tipp as needing to toughen up is too simplistic - This Tipp hurling team deserve more respect than that.

KK don't even need to stretch themselves against most teams....

Hopefully, just a run of real bad luck

Yeah, that must be it, real,real bad luck. Hopefully we will be luckey on Sunday.

• Advertisement

Yeah, that must be it, real,real bad luck. Hopefully we will be luckey on Sunday.

Still waiting for this long list of examples??

I was referring to Cahill's injuries. I don't think we'll need to have luck on Sunday - we're more than capable of winning this game.

Tipperary coach Eamon O’Shea expecting a massive challenge from Galway

‘Galway have been really good this year . . and I think they are a really formidable team’

Gavin Cummiskey

Thu, Aug 13, 2015, 01:00
    First published:
    Thu, Aug 13, 2015, 01:00

Some men deserve to be introduced by their full title. Professor Eamon O’Shea MA, MSc, PhD is an expert in social gerontology and the economics of ageing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

danganabu wrote: »
    Still waiting for this long list of examples??

Don't hold your breath, he deals in cliches and hearsay mostly.

Rasputin11 wrote: »
    Don't hold your breath, he deals in cliches and hearsay mostly.

I'm all for posters/supporters questioning aspects of our team and pointing out areas for improvement as long as there is a bit of balance, logic and actual facts to back it up. It's the constant negativity and refusal to accept the opposition's quality that is beyong infuriating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

I've heard a lot said about the quality on the bench. I'd wonder how strong it is.
    Don't think i've seen much to come in. Hope I'm wrong. I'd be a bit concerned at how well kk coped with waterford compared to us.

TBF not even the cats bench is great this year.

digzy wrote: »
    I've heard a lot said about the quality on the bench. I'd wonder how strong it is.
    Don't think i've seen much to come in. Hope I'm wrong. I'd be a bit concerned at how well kk coped with waterford compared to us.

TBF not even the cats bench is great this year.

If the team lines out as I have heard then we will have Breen, Larry, Noel, Shane Bourke and Saint or Conor O'Mahoney all to come in, a fit John McGrath and/or Mickey Cahill and that's the strongest bench I can remember us having.

The Tipperary Minor Hurling Team to play Dublin in the All Ireland Semi-Final Sunday is
    1 Padraic Hayes (Ballingarry)
    2 Enda Heffernan (Clonoulty Rossmore)
    3 Emmett Moloney (Drom&Inch)
    4 James Quigley (Kildangan)
    5 Kevin Hassett (Drom&Inch)
    6 Brian McGrath (Loughmore Castleiney)
    7 Darragh Peters Cpt (Kilruane MacDonaghs)
    8 Darragh Carey (Templederry Kenyons)
    9 Liam McCutcheon (Templederry Kenyons)
    10 Cian Darcy ( Kilruane MacDonaghs)
    11 Garry Ryan (Borrisokane)
    12 Alan Tynan (Roscrea)
    13 Thomas Nolan (Drom&Inch)
    14 David Gleeson (Ballinahinch)
    15 Lyndon Fairbrother (JK Brackens)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,992 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

If the team lines out as I have heard then we will have Breen, Larry, Noel, Shane Bourke and Saint or Conor O'Mahoney all to come in, a fit John McGrath and/or Mickey Cahill and that's the strongest bench I can remember us having.

Any idea how Noel is?

I've no faith in Bourke tbh, he's decent, but doesn't inspire confidence. Lar probably the only player who can inject some spark.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭buggy beag

danganabu wrote:

Is denis maher injured?

The Tipperary Minor Hurling Team to play Dublin in the All Ireland Semi-Final Sunday is
    1 Padraic Hayes (Ballingarry)
    2 Enda Heffernan (Clonoulty Rossmore)
    3 Emmett Moloney (Drom&Inch)
    4 James Quigley (Kildangan)
    5 Kevin Hassett (Drom&Inch)
    6 Brian McGrath (Loughmore Castleiney)
    7 Darragh Peters Cpt (Kilruane MacDonaghs)
    8 Darragh Carey (Templederry Kenyons)
    9 Liam McCutcheon (Templederry Kenyons)
    10 Cian Darcy ( Kilruane MacDonaghs)
    11 Garry Ryan (Borrisokane)
    12 Alan Tynan (Roscrea)
    13 Thomas Nolan (Drom&Inch)
    14 David Gleeson (Ballinahinch)
    15 Lyndon Fairbrother (JK Brackens)

very surprised Skehan hasn't been recalled but I guess its hard to change a munster winning team, also would have Darcy a lot closer to goal.

buggy beag wrote: »
    Is denis maher injured?

Has been back training but no hurling done, Gar Ryan probably ahead of him right now, has been in great form for his club and has always been a favourite of O'Shea

Maybe, Waterford are the most improved team in the country - but, for me, KK have found the extra few inches that Tipp needed to find. We are going in with generally the same set up to last year - we fell short. But, I can't look past our midfield and half back line and think we haven't moved up the notch required.

Our midfield while performing to a high level has been beaten by the KK midfield many times - they have that confidence and belief over them.

To beat KK we need at least two to three players in central positions to go to absolute town - Seamie, Paudie, Barry, McGrath or Woodie - to me the KK spine looks stronger. Seamie could be gun-shy after that horrific injury he suffered against limerick - and who could blame him - he was bottled up against Waterford so no chance to judge his form. But, who could blame him if he's chasing down and blocking is psychologically affected - take him a few games to get beyond it.

One poster awhile ago, tried to make out that Alyward, Holden, and other new KK players were average- nonsense. He's found out since - don't see him crowing now. JJ was slowing - Callinan took him for a spin last year despite his heroic blocks, shefflin was a beaten docket.

We owe KK one and this Tipp team are capable of beating a KK team who plays close to their best. KK have to be at their best to beat Tipp...

We'll beat Galway... - I'm just waiting to see something that shows we have developed another avenue of scoring from the half forward line hopefully, Forde and Niall are it (it just might be a bit too earlier for them - the KK wing backs are fantastic) and can we stop KK running through our half back line... particularly the Fennellys ...

I think Bubbles on the half line and forde closer to goal might be the answer...

Reid on Ronan Maher....that could be very dangerous and will happen...Hogan has done very well on Paudie...there must be a man marker on Hogan - has to be. It can't be Paudie - it's not his game. Maybe Brendan will be deployed in front of Ritchie

Can't agree - pressure through blocking, hooking, shouldering, and physical attention is more about fitness and hunger than toughness or strength...

KK are one of the most successful teams of all time and one of the great hurling teams - running them close on many championship occasions is not shying back...

Your analysis and dismissal of Tipp as needing to toughen up is too simplistic - This Tipp hurling team deserve more respect than that.

KK don't even need to stretch themselves against most teams....

Hear hear. We have been fierce unlucky against them since 2013. We drove wides and missed a few chances in Nowlan park 2 year ago, we missed many goal chances in the drawn game last year with Larry busting the cross bar and the famous hawkeye wide. Had hawkeye being in action in the league final last year we arguably could have won that game given we had a wide ruled out and they scored a point that wasnt. We could also mention the hook that JJ got on Seamie. Two goals up and it might have been curtains for Kilkenny in that game. Ive a feeling if we meet them in the future be it this year or next year we will hit a day where it will all come right for us.

Galway deserve huge respect and we have a big task on hand. They have exceptional forwards and showed that they have a ruthless streak in them against Kilkenny some years back. They cant be looked beyond.

very surprised Skehan hasn't been recalled but I guess its hard to change a munster winning team, also would have Darcy a lot closer to goal.

Very impressed with the workrate of those lads the last day out. They worked tirelessly. That Munster win will give them untold confidence. Some super kids on that team. Best of luck to them

• Advertisement

Drinking every weekend is quite normal and nowhere near the alcoholic levels of Jason Robinson!!!!

On one occasion, he was charged with assault after an evening of drinking, and failed to appear in court to answer the charges. By then, he had fathered a son with a woman he had no intention of living with and Amanda, his future wife, was pregnant with Cameron. It all became too much.
    "I wanted to change - but how? In a drawer in my kitchen, I had a set of knives that were a present from my mum. One of them was a cleaver. I took it from the set and held it in my hand. I just felt so low. I thought: I really can't go on like this, can't cope with more heartache.
    "I can't say I was going to take my life, but I sat there, considering the problems I faced and thought I could end all the misery. But, deep inside, I knew there had to be another answer and I put the knife away."

Robinson, who scored for England in the 2003 World Cup final victory against Australia, said: 'I got into a situation where I was drinking sometimes six nights a week.
    Former England ace Jason Robinson, pictured in 2007, has revealed he contemplated committed suicide
    +4
    Former England ace Jason Robinson, pictured in 2007, has revealed he contemplated committed suicide
    Robinson played a key role in England's 2003 World Cup win against Australia in Sydney
    +4
    Robinson played a key role in England's 2003 World Cup win against Australia in Sydney
    'Monday it was Wakefield, 10 pence a pint night. Tuesday I would be over to Liverpool, Wednesday it would be Oldham. Thursday it would be Wigan. And after the game we would go out wherever.'
    However, it was his arrest for affray, assault and criminal damage which left him considering an attempt on his own life and he credits then team-mate and Samoa star Va'aiga Tuigamala with turning things around.

Ok im not suggesting it was as severe as Robinsons but from what i hear, Kieran enjoyed himself in New York. A changed man by all accounts these times. Very strong religious beliefs from what i hear. Comes across as a really smart intelligent fella in interviews.
    You dont need to quote me Robinsons life story to prove a point.

Well, the association of Bergin with Robinson wasn't fair in my book - so I felt I had to show why. Nothing more than that

Well, the association of Bergin with Robinson wasn't fair in my book - so I felt I had to show why. Nothing more than that

Ah yeah perhaps i should have expanded more on Bergin of course your right, Robinson had serious issues. Kieran liked a bit of a party but nothing more.

It wasnt as severe obviously but at the same time Kieran felt partied enough to have his epiphany so from the point of view that both became very spiritual individuals then a comparison of sorts can be made.

In that spiritual regard, most certainly.

Hear hear. We have been fierce unlucky against them since 2013. We drove wides and missed a few chances in Nowlan park 2 year ago, we missed many goal chances in the drawn game last year with Larry busting the cross bar and the famous hawkeye wide. .....

I would agree in general with you. However IMO 'driving wides, missing a few chances, missing many goal chances' is not being 'fierce unlucky'.
    My point from the outset which of course has either been misunderstood or deliberately ignored by some is that Tipp need to toughen up, no more excuses, time to deliver.

I would agree in general with you. However IMO 'driving wides, missing a few chances, missing many goal chances' is not being 'fierce unlucky'.
    My point from the outset which of course has either been misunderstood or deliberately ignored by some is that Tipp need to toughen up, no more excuses, time to deliver.

Well Bubbles and Larry were very unlucky in particular now. Bubbles couldnt have hit that better. As ReacherCreature pointed out later that evening, if the wind blew the other direction, Tipp were All Ireland champions. As for Larry, he met the bar flush. He struck it beautifully and had it gone in it would have been one of the most memorable goals ever scored in Croke Park. 99 times out of 100, thats busting the net out of it. So so unlucky. And had we got that i well believe that we would have been so much in the ascendency that we would have even broke Kilkenny's resilience. Only my personal opinion and we can only wonder now but some of the chances missed that day could fly in any other day. We're banging on that iron door as hard as we can. Sooner or later something will have to give.

Im not looking beyond Galway for now. Yes i think we have enough in the tank to beat them but ive been impressed with Galway this year. They have shown a real resilience about them and arguably owe us a beating in the same way that we owe Kilkenny one. I admire alot about their setup but they frustrate me alot given the talent at their disposal. I would be glad if they continued that trend on Sunday though.

On the buildup i think we are keeping nice and cool and nice and quiet. All very low profile.

Lets hope the glorious sunshine continues on Sunday. Up the Premier!

'excuses' 'time to deliver' - it almost sounds like you think they owe you something?

I don't think you understand how hard these boys are training and what they're putting into it? You think they're going out there and suddenly going...you know what, it's too tough for me here boys...these kk boys are beating me up...i might lie down out of the way here...' - Come on, now!!!

Kilkenny are a hard team to beat, like?

KK were more accurate, ruthless, and intelligent on the line over the years. Nothing to do with toughness or commitment. Sublime players mixed with a finely balanced team of work horses, skilled players, and athletes...it's hard to beat...EVERY sport has a dominant team...Tipp are trying to change that...

I think the Galway strengths and weaknesses are glaring - their forwards will really test us - but, we should be able to make hay against their backs...

We need to be smart on the line and not let this develop into a shoot out - we can beat them in a shoot-out. But, if we set up against galway like we did against Waterford they wouldn't be able for that... - we have to be ruthless in our tactics and stop galway - sap them of confidence and pick them off...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 247 ✭✭primary 2

i heard declan fanning on the radio after the munster final and he said mickey cahill had a tight hamstring thats why he missed the munster final,does anybody know how he is going now? because in my opinion he is one of the best corner backs in ireland he had great pace and a great man to mop up a ball and burst out of defence and a great man marker,after last years loss to kilkenny i thought if we came across kilkenny this year he would be the man do do a man marking job on richie hogan

• Advertisement

primary 2 wrote: »
    i heard declan fanning on the radio after the munster final and he said mickey cahill had a tight hamstring thats why he missed the munster final,does anybody know how he is going now? because in my opinion he is one of the best corner backs in ireland he had great pace and a great man to mop up a ball and burst out of defence and a great man marker,after last years loss to kilkenny i thought if we came across kilkenny this year he would be the man do do a man marking job on richie hogan

Jesus a fit Cahill on one side and Barrett on the other is a mouth watering prospect. Paul Ormonde was a tidy corner back (albeit probably not as good as Cahill) and his career petered out way too early with injuries.

I hope that Cahill isnt going down the same road because it would be such a travesty. Still very young and a terrific hurler and very grounded fella by all accounts. Look at Seamus Hennessy also who would definately be involved if he could have stayed fit long enough, or John Meagher who has been dogged since his involvement with the minor footballers in 2011.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement