Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

Daithi Regan was on the radio last night saying that Tipp were using a former underage keeper to practise against the threat of Johnny Glynn. He didn't name the player but it was Brian Hogan from Lorrha, I've only ever seen him play in goal and he looks a fine prospect. Would he be a good man under a high ball as an outfield player for the purpose of what Tipp were using him for?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 247 ✭✭primary 2

Jesus a fit Cahill on one side and Barrett on the other is a mouth watering prospect. Paul Ormonde was a tidy corner back (albeit probably not as good as Cahill) and his career petered out way too early with injuries.

I hope that Cahill isnt going down the same road because it would be such a travesty. Still very young and a terrific hurler and very grounded fella by all accounts. Look at Seamus Hennessy also who would definately be involved if he could have stayed fit long enough, or John Meagher who has been dogged since his involvement with the minor footballers in 2011.

it would be some combination if they were to together allright,paul ormonde hurled great in 01 and 02 but then got a bad run of injuries till 08 till he retired and he was a great player and seamus hennessy just had no luck at all, was going to be a serious hurler,is it more a case of mickey cahill just getting back his fitness and sharpness or has he injuries,and how was he going with the club?also he had a fine game against galway last year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

Fit-again Tipperary star Noel McGrath set to feature against Galway
    Friday, August 14, 2015Jackie Cahill
    Noel McGrath’s speedy recovery from testicular cancer surgery will see him named in Tipperary’s 26-man panel for Sunday’s All-Ireland senior hurling semi-final against Galway at Croke Park.

McGrath, 24, won’t start against the Tribesmen but manager Eamon O’Shea is considering the Loughmore-Castleiney star for a substitute appearance at GAA HQ.

If the game is in the balance in the closing stages, the introduction of McGrath from the bench would provide a significant lift to Tipperary .

McGrath returned to club action recently and he has made further progress since linking up with the county panel again.
    advertisement

Sources have indicated that one place on the Tipp team for Sunday’s game is up for grabs.

Michael Breen and Conor O’Brien are battling it out for the number 4 shirt, with corner backs Paddy Stapleton and Michael Cahill not in a position to start.

It is understood that Stapleton sustained a rib injury on a training camp last weekend and Cahill has suffered a number of niggles on his road back to full fitness.

Breen was handed a start for the Munster final against Waterford but went off at half-time, to be replaced by Lar Corbett.

Breen did, however, play extremely well against Limerick in the Munster U21 semi-final and if he’s picked, O’Shea could reposition Pádraic Maher’s younger brother Ronan at corner-back, with Breen on the wing.

Otherwise, O’Brien will slot in to the left-corner-back position, leaving the younger Maher to play at number 7.

Meanwhile, former Tipp star John Leahy has stepped down as Tipperary ladies intermediate football team manager after two unsuccessful years in charge.

The former Premier County hurling star was unveiled in a blaze of publicity but created a storm when he axed five players from his squad last year. The door may now be open under new management for a number of those players to return.

A Tipperary ladies football board statement confirmed: “Following the completion of their two-year term, John Leahy and his management team of Martin Halpin and Pat Morrissey have confirmed their intention to step down as management of the Tipperary Ladies Football Intermediate team due to work commitments.

“The Tipperary Ladies Football Board would like to thank John and his management team for their time and commitment during the last two years.”

With Tipp’s senior footballers also looking for a new manager, former Laois and Limerick boss Liam Kearns has been touted as a possible successor to Peter Creedon.

Kearns was coach with the Roscommon footballers alongside boss John Evans but with Evans stepping aside this week, Kerry native Kearns is on the hunt for a new role. Kearns has enjoyed previous experience in club football in Tipperary with Aherlow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Very impressed with the workrate of those lads the last day out. They worked tirelessly. That Munster win will give them untold confidence. Some super kids on that team. Best of luck to them

They have done very well to win all three games which could all have went the other way and have a very good chance in what seems an extremly open minor championship with no stand out team, their biggest weakness from what I have seen of them is that the forwards all seem to play as individuals and their link up play is practically non existent, but there is real talent in that full forward line ( and Tynan) if they get it together.

They also have Skehan, Mulrooney and Quirke to come in if needed which is a strong bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭Paarthurnax

danganabu wrote: »
    They have done very well to win all three games which could all have went the other way and have a very good chance in what seems an extremly open minor championship with no stand out team, their biggest weakness from what I have seen of them is that the forwards all seem to play as individuals and their link up play is practically non existent, but there is real talent in that full forward line ( and Tynan) if they get it together.

They also have Skehan, Mulrooney and Quirke to come in if needed which is a strong bench.
    Just wondering is David Gleeson a brother of Dermot Gleeson who played for Tipp under age and Newtown Shandrom?

• Advertisement

Just wondering is David Gleeson a brother of Dermot Gleeson who played for Tipp under age and Newtown Shandrom?

He is indeed, but I wouldn't hold that against him :D

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭Paarthurnax

danganabu wrote: »
    He is indeed, but I wouldn't hold that against him :D
    I was thinking that! Some height difference though :D

I was thinking that! Some height difference though :D

Fair age gap as well, Dermot won a munster minor in 1997, his brother wins one in 2015!!

Some parents love just keeps on giving!

Skelping, whelping, and young lads dancing in the square...(The Goalkeeper has to dodge a young lad when pucking out the ball!!!)

http://www.rte.ie/archives/2015/0812/720765-hurling-tipperary-3-26-galway/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

Tipperary team to play Galway –

Darren Gleeson; Cathal Barrett, James Barry, Conor O’Brien; Ronan Maher, Padraic Maher, Kieran Berginl James Woodlock, Shane McGrath; Jason Forde, Brendan Maher (Captain), Patrick Maher; John O’Dwyer, Seamus Callanan, Niall O’Meara

Rasputin11 wrote: »
    Tipperary team to play Galway –

Darren Gleeson; Cathal Barrett, James Barry, Conor O’Brien; Ronan Maher, Padraic Maher, Kieran Berginl James Woodlock, Shane McGrath; Jason Forde, Brendan Maher (Captain), Patrick Maher; John O’Dwyer, Seamus Callanan, Niall O’Meara

it is as exspected but i would be weary of conor o brien in the corner even though he dont hold back and gives it his all,i think he might be caught for pace,hope i am wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Ompala

I think O Meara is better in the half forward line, good in the air
    Forde is more dangerous closer to goal
    Strong team though, hon Tipp!

Ompala wrote: »
    I think O Meara is better in the half forward line, good in the air
    Forde is more dangerous closer to goal
    Strong team though, hon Tipp!

with the way the fowards rotate o meara will probalby give a blast out on the half foward line for a while

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

primary 2 wrote: »
    it is as exspected but i would be weary of conor o brien in the corner even though he dont hold back and gives it his all,i think he might be caught for pace,hope i am wrong
    I don't think O' Brien will let us down, in fairness to him he's done well when called upon.

tippspur wrote: »
    I don't think O' Brien will let us down, in fairness to him he's done well when called upon.

Great time for Foxy. Honest tough little divil. He's no Barrett, Cahill, or Saint in terms of overall ability but he has been a terrific servant for Tipp hurling. I've the greatest respect for that guy. And he is capable of putting in a massive shift. Great squad player

I think the Galway strengths and weaknesses are glaring - their forwards will really test us - but, we should be able to make hay against their backs...

We need to be smart on the line and not let this develop into a shoot out - we can beat them in a shoot-out. But, if we set up against galway like we did against Waterford they wouldn't be able for that... - we have to be ruthless in our tactics and stop galway - sap them of confidence and pick them off...

I can remember being very frustrated at the acres of space available in front of Seamie last year and no one playing a ball into him. You could have drove a tank through the space with no obstruction. I must have drove the people near to me mad going on about it literally for the majority of the game until finally Seamie got ball and stuck two more goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

tippspur wrote: »

He was our worst player against Limerick IMHO.

I questioned our squads strength here before. Says a lot when cob is the 'first sub' unfortunately. I'm sure he won't let us down so to speak but he's the weak link in our defence and one you can be sure Galway will target.

digzy wrote: »
    He was our worst player against Limerick IMHO.

I questioned our squads strength here before. Says a lot when cob is the 'first sub' unfortunately. I'm sure he won't let us down so to speak but he's the weak link in our defence and one you can be sure Galway will target.

We are sort of unlucky from a defensive point of view that both Saint and Cahill are injured as both would be used. Arguably could Barry Heffernan and Tom Fox have been blooded this year? I would think that Foxy lacks height and the speed of Barrett. Id imagine Joe Canning might test him.

Personally id probably be putting Brendan in the half back line and slot Ronan into the corner back slot although i dont fathom why Mikey Breen cant be trusted either. Breen would be ideal in the middle against Galway and would be a physical presence. He acquitted himself quite well in the league and was swept off despite nailing a nice point in the Munster final. Arguably perhaps we could have left him up there and it might have gave Seamie a great foil?

Mate of mine was telling me the last day he was and he would be fairly reliable.

• Advertisement

Skelping, whelping, and young lads dancing in the square...(The Goalkeeper has to dodge a young lad when pucking out the ball!!!)

http://www.rte.ie/archives/2015/0812/720765-hurling-tipperary-3-26-galway/

The venue really signifies how GAA has changed over the ages. Croker was sacred through the ages and now its used whereever there is an excess crowd of 30k.

Galway

1. Colm Callanan
    2. Johnny Coen
    3. John Hanbury
    4. Padraig Mannion
    5. Aidan Harte
    6. Iarla Tannian
    7. Daithi Burke
    8. Andrew Smith
    9. David Burke
    10. Conor Whelan
    11. Cyril Donnellan
    12. Jonathan Glynn
    13. Jason Flynn
    14. Joe Canning
    15. Cathal Mannion

Galway

1. Colm Callanan
    2. Johnny Coen
    3. John Hanbury
    4. Padraig Mannion
    5. Aidan Harte
    6. Iarla Tannian
    7. Daithi Burke
    8. Andrew Smith
    9. David Burke
    10. Conor Whelan
    11. Cyril Donnellan
    12. Jonathan Glynn
    13. Jason Flynn
    14. Joe Canning
    15. Cathal Mannion

Will they go man for man or does anyone think Galway will deploy a sweeper?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

Personally id probably be putting Brendan in the half back line and slot Ronan into the corner back slot although i dont fathom why Mikey Breen cant be trusted either. Breen would be ideal in the middle against Galway and would be a physical presence. He acquitted himself quite well in the league and was swept off despite nailing a nice point in the Munster final. Arguably perhaps we could have left him up there and it might have gave Seamie a great foil?

I'm a big fan of Breen and think that his performances in the league were good enough to earn a spot on the team; he's a big lad with good mobility and skill. Saying all that I don't think he had a decent Munster Final, the point was about the only thing that went his way on the day. He was put in an unfair position that day in my opinion, hadn't played in the forwards for us and was playing against a good Waterford defence. From what i've seen he's better at midfield or wing back for us but the players are well established in those positions for this year.
    He was also very impressive from full back for the U21s this year so he may be a long term option there but this isn't the time of year to start experimenting at that position

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭buggy beag

The venue really signifies how GAA has changed over the ages. Croker was sacred through the ages and now its used whereever there is an excess crowd of 30k.

Ya hard one to know what to do with semis though isnt it with the quarters on in thurles should they be held elsewhere and the semis held in thurles?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,992 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Lads that's a poor Galway half back line imo. We really need to make hay there. Questions over they're full back line also. If our forwards perform we will win this.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Will they go man for man or does anyone think Galway will deploy a sweeper?

I think they will go with a sweeper anyway hard to see them going man to man and id say they will be told hit paudie maher a few early shoulders early on to test out his injury.great time for conor o brien used be his biggest fan but hes won me over last couple of years but for this particular game i would have ronan in the corner wit maher bergin and breen in the half back line

On the bus to croker hill 16 ticket in the back pocket vodka for breakfast MON DA FOOKIN PREMIER!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,992 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Nice morning here in the capital. Dry ball will suit us. Bring it on.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

Plenty of strength in our squad - it's a squad that has contested more All-Irelands than not. Ridiculous to suggest otherwise...there's only one team with a better squad - so how can we have anything approaching a lack of strength in depth...there's all-irelands on the bench....

Imagine being Conor O'Brien today - the most pressure on you is coming from your own supposed supporters...tragic...

He'll be good - he rarely lets Tipp down - quite a good performer - anybody who thinks otherwise is a fair weather supporter.

Two things might happen today - we could saunter it or look in trouble with ten to go - and Noel and Lar to come on and change it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement