Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2015

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

Think of the players who were in the prime then... the balance of the team ....and think of the outfit now...there's a huge difference in leadership, the type of player both mentally and, more importantly, the diverse range of skills the players had to give the team a more settled balance. The 2010 team had more ways of attacking and defending...

But, also, some players are happy to win one...and, some players, were savagely unlucky with injury since...

Think of the players who were in the prime then... the balance of the team ....and think of the outfit now...there's a huge difference in leadership, the type of player both mentally and, more importantly, the diverse range of skills the players had to give the team a more settled balance. The 2010 team had more ways of attacking and defending...

But, also, some players are happy to win one...and, some players, were savagely unlucky with injury since...

Now to be fair to the lads i dont believe they are happy to just win one. If that was the case they wouldnt be back in the hunt year in year out. I think they just dont believe in their ability enough to win a second

Putting words in my mouth - tut tut!!!!

I didn't say the say the lads. I said some players are happy to win one - and, that doesn't mean they don't want to win more - but, it might mean they don't want to win one as much as the first....

"dont believe in their ability enough to win a second" - that's fair problem for any manager to contend with now???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭QuinDixie

woodlock/shane mcgrath/Conor OBrien/ brendan maher in the forwards/padraig maher centre back/ shane bourke on at half time.
    that will never beat kk, and this year it couldnt best galway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 247 ✭✭primary 2

so is it a mental thing with this team so? also who would be best suited to centre back if pauric maher isnt?

• Advertisement

Well, I stated at the start of teh year that O'Mahony was gotten rid of too early - there should be a place for him somewhere because of his leadership. I also, felt the same about Curran, in a squad voice capacity. A lot of lads felt he is too slow now - which is fair enough. He's player a lot in the forwards for his club - he'd be an ideal sweeper too. Or centerback, with a pacy sweeper around him

John Meagher looks the real deal - but, i don't think his body will allow him to play senior inter county. It hasn't reacted well to underage intercounty.

Barry Heffernan has a lot of developing to do...

Putting words in my mouth - tut tut!!!!

I didn't say the say the lads. I said some players are happy to win one - and, that doesn't mean they don't want to win more - but, it might mean they don't want to win one as much as the first....

"dont believe in their ability enough to win a second" - that's fair problem for any manager to contend with now???

Fair point. I can remember hearing about a Kilkenny man ( i think it was Georgie Leahy but im not sure) who managed Offaly prior to their breakthrough in 1980 and the biggest challenge of the job was convincing Offaly they were capable of beating Kilkenny. They had the skill and the drive but perhaps lacked that leap of faith.

I think there is desire in our camp to win more but we just need to believe in ourselves and perhaps try and put ourselves under the microscope and cut out the silly errors. A friend of mine was just rightly pointing out the other day that while you could call Tipp nearly men, another way of looking at it and you could apply this to Mayo is that they have a knack of bouncing back. Akin to the spider in the famous Robert de Bruce story they'll keep trying to spin that web.

for me this year Conor o mahoney.

Well, I stated at the start of teh year that O'Mahony was gotten rid of too early - there should be a place for him somewhere because of his leadership. I also, felt the same about Curran, in a squad voice capacity. A lot of lads felt he is too slow now - which is fair enough. He's player a lot in the forwards for his club - he'd be an ideal sweeper too. Or centerback, with a pacy sweeper around him

John Meagher looks the real deal - but, i don't think his body will allow him to play senior inter county. It hasn't reacted well to underage intercounty.

Barry Heffernan has a lot of developing to do...

He's been freakishly unlucky though. He took a ball in the stones in Clonmel during a challenge match one day. Thats one chance in a thousand. Yes he has had a few niggles too but i would think perhaps burnout is a big contributor here. He was playing hurling and football for college, club and county at various stages not too long ago and these things catch up with you eventually

if i had to pick a team from that squad for galway
    gleeson
    obrien
    barry
    cahill
    brendan maher
    omahoney
    padraig maher
    breen
    ronan maher
    forde
    bonner
    bubbles
    callinan
    omeara
    corbett

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

QuinDixie wrote: »
    gleeson
    obrien
    barry
    cahill
    brendan maher
    omahoney
    padraig maher
    breen
    ronan maher
    forde
    bonner
    bubbles
    callinan
    omeara
    corbett

Poor aul Cathal Barrett.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

He's been freakishly unlucky though. He took a ball in the stones in Clonmel during a challenge match one day. Thats one chance in a thousand. Yes he has had a few niggles too but i would think perhaps burnout is a big contributor here. He was playing hurling and football for college, club and county at various stages not too long ago and these things catch up with you eventually

A player with huge potential, the likes of Martin Maher and Diarmuid Fitzgerald were very unlucky with injuries in their Tipp days, hopefully he's not another.

We just need to produce more calculating and cold veined players for the heat of battle - to balance all the hurlers we have...

We are badly missing a Declan Fanning/Eamon Corcoran/Tommy Dunne/Declan Ryan types...

Maybe I'm wrong but he has had back and knee injuries too?

Rasputin11 wrote: »
    A player with huge potential, the likes of Martin Maher and Diarmuid Fitzgerald were very unlucky with injuries in their Tipp days, hopefully he's not another.

And not to forget Seamus Hennessey the patron saint of injuries

Maybe I'm wrong but he has had back and knee injuries too?

He's had quite a few. The bout of Glandular fever was the start of his troubles in early 2012

• Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Our motivation has been misguided. After the victory over Waterford in the Munster Final Eamon O'Shea stated " the fear of failure spurred us on!. No team or person should be motivated by fear. It's just not healthy.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,187 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

I think our next Championship meeting with Galway will be very bad tempered after what happened the last day

I wonder. I mean it can't have come as a surprise that Galway would rough us up last Sunday. If an ordinary 5/8 like myself could predict what would happen then surely our management team could? Or is it a case that we saw ourselves as 'up there ' with Kilkenny? Like I said all the talk about last year was what a thrilling match we were in the first day against Kilkenny little was said about the second day. Anyway to move on, one good thing to come from last Sunday might be to banish this notion of ourselves and Kilkenny being ahead of the rest.
    In terms of results we are miles away from Kilkenny. We also need to see ruthlessness in terms of team selection from the management.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Right have been too depressed/drunk to post on here since Sunday so just working my way through the thread, be patient!
    It's David Young, I think. Former goalkeeper. He's been onboard for a bit.

Damien Young, Drom is the guy in question, David from Toom plays for Kildare now.
    wing backs and wing forwards were well below par. Got taken to town and back...

Centre Back and Centre forward were worse to be fair, granted both are being played out of position.
    I heard the 6 panel members who didn't make the 26 had to make their own way to Dublin yesterday, not a great way to treat people.

Correct and right and the same happened to the minors, a cost cutting measure from the county board and a disgracfull way to treat players who have given up so much throughout the year, I bet you the officers of the county board didnt make any cuts to their own expenditure and how much exactly could such a measure actually save in the greater scheme of things?
    :rolleyes:
    You pick the best candidate. Is our new manager better than all potential alternatives?

Who are all these wonderful alternatives that were over looked, Nicky and Liam are unavailable and after than Mick Ryan is the most qualified.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

danganabu wrote: »

Correct and right and the same happened to the minors, a cost cutting measure from the county board and a disgracfull way to treat players who have given up so much throughout the year, I bet you the officers of the county board didnt make any cuts to their own expenditure and how much exactly could such a measure actually save in the greater scheme of things.

Have ye got smaller buses in Tipp or what? Normal bus is 50+ seats. Presume there were separate buses for each panel? If this happened, what have the GPA to say about it?

• Advertisement

I don't see the potential you see in Denis Maher - never has delivered to the extent for Thurles that would suggest he could for Tipp? Certainly, has never strung two outstanding 70 mins together for Tipp in championship at senior level....i think you write more in hope than in facts regarding Denis...and, I've seen him, deliver a championship game that commanded he be played.

Pa Bourke was destroyed against KK and other teams more than once - the game has moved from the likes of Pa - great skill but not up to it physically

Agree completely re Denis Maher and to be honest he rarely puts two good performances together for Thurles never mind Tipp, its a common phenomonen in Tipp that the longer a player dpoesn't play the better he apparently becomes!

Can't however agree re. Pa, when were these times he was destroyed by KK?? He is a far far better version of Shane Bourke and his dopping from teh panel is a mystery to me.
    The biggest mistake on the line last Sunday came from Galway...yet, those players still ground it out...

Exactly again its the typical knee jerk reaction, it erminds me of the 2009 AI final when Tipp were absolutely destroying KK in midfield but Cody never made a change or last year how Brian Hogan was left CB, these things are all forgotten because they got over the line, its a pretty thin line as EOS has found out.
    Tynan? Seamus Kennedy? O'Riordan? Steven O'Brien? Peters? Josh Keane? Brian Stapleton? Tommy Nolan?

Tynan alas like Shane Long will be lost to the pro ranks, O'Riordan will never choose hurling over football, and quite riightly he is a far superior footballer, Kennedy was tried and didnt cut it but may be worth another look, Peters and Nolan would have to bulk up hugely, Keane didnt start with teh 21's although TJ Connolly's opinion should be taken with a pinch of salt, I like Stapelton alright.
    O'Mahony, Noelie, and Lar all made a significant contribution when they came on

Apart from one snap shot excellently saved I dont think Lar made any contribution, he gave away a needless free and got blocked down in the lead up to the winner, that said he should have been on at half time.

COM was good when he came on in possibly he's last appearance, but should have been brought on centre back and put Paudi on the wing in his best position.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭robbiezero

primary 2 wrote: »
    how is it that tipp have never played with the same hunger or aggresion that they played with in the 2010 all ireland final?i dont think i have ever seen them come close to that since, the intensity they had that day was just unbelievable, surly there cant be any execuses when it comes to motivating your self on a big day? or was liam sheedy just a serious motivator like non other?

I think they have played like that or fairly near it often enough, but Kilkenny don't set up like that any more with the exception of the drawn All-Ireland.
    People saying we have been very close since 2010. We have been very close once in the drawn All-Ireland. We were very much second best in 2011, 2012, 2013, the replayed final of 2014 and very much second best to Galway last Sunday. While the scorelines might suggest only a puck of a ball in it, the reality is we were well held on all these days (Sunday was exceptionally due to an unreal performance from one player).
    I think it will take fairly fundamental changes to push us over the line in years to come unless Kilkenny regress which looks unlikely i.e. a new midfield, new half back at least two new forwards, a completely new defensive setup.

citykat wrote: »
    Have ye got smaller buses in Tipp or what? Normal bus is 50+ seats. Presume there were separate buses for each panel? If this happened, what have the GPA to say about it?

I have no idea what the logic is behind it to be honest and yeah seperate buses, oh it definitely happened and I know of at least two minors who refused to travel and told them where to shove it, fair play to them.

Good point re the GPA, but I am very sceptical of that organisation and this issue probably wouldnt be seen as hiigh profile enough for them!

You were right regards lar he did feature
    He didn't look great though and looked not great great player he once was
    Having said that imo bringing him on fourteen minutes go should be on sooner

What do you make of sunday
    Would you agree that problems could arise next year with management

You had said you were going to back Callan man of the matchin another post and that was a great call you were absoultey correct
    He didn't deserves to be on the loosing team

Minors are a fine side and I think could edge Galway in all ireland final

My own opinion is Galway had more edge senior game
    I had felt tippeary would edge it all week but that morning I got an instinct hard to explain but just a feeling Galway would win and just edge it and I posted as such in the hurling thread Galway tippeary match thread just before the game
    I just felt tippeary like brennan said all focus was on meeting kk and tippeary were slightly vulnerable for this game
    Tippeary certainly are better than sunday proved when as a team didn't perform
    The focus imo was on all ireland final Like brennan said kk v Galway ten years ago had on Cork final but lost to kk in a classic semi final

I agree that it is a somewhat bizzare situation re the management, I dont neccessarily disagree with Mick Ryan's appointment but the timing was madness, to be honest the two best candidates are unavailable and there is a serious lack of alternatives.

The minor team continue to suprise me and no problem admitting I wrote them off too soon, ironically they are showing what can be achieved with honesty and hard work, and of course talent.

I also agree with Brennan ( never thought I'd say that) and in fact it goes further than Sunday, Tipp have been obsessed with KK since 2009 and we need to get our own house in order first, for example I have very little doubt that the re-positioning of Brendan Maher to centre forward was a tactic deployed to curb the influence of Richie Hogan in an AI, looks pretty silly now!

Drom bet Brackens in the Mid Football Semi tonight, O Riordan didn't play as he was off on AFL trials I heard.

Heard the same myself, but was talking to a brackens man at lunch and he said its not true, he is gone on a well earned holiday, and Brackens knew about it for weeks, seems the mid board refused to move the fixture, which of course they are perfectly right to do.
    oshea was a failure and to say tipp are in a good place is bizarre.
    He actually achieved less than declan ryan, so tipp have regressed under him.
    gleeson
    obrien
    barry
    cahill
    brendan maher
    omahoney
    padraig maher
    breen
    ronan maher
    forde
    bonner
    bubbles
    callinan
    omeara
    corbett

There are literally no words :rolleyes:

Love Callanan in the corner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hahaha

Love Callanan in the corner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hahaha

Aye, its just showing off playing him FF, give him a challenge like!

My team for next year with a fully fit squad would be -

Gleeson

Barret Barry Cahill

Bergin J Meagher Paraic Maher

B Maher M Breen

J Forde Bonner N McGrath

J McGrath Callinan Bubbles

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 247 ✭✭primary 2

well from what i saw of john mcgrath against limerick in the u 21 semi final i wasnt two impressed with him, and if its true that members of the exstended panel had to make there way up to dublin then thats a disgrace, if you were after giving it your all to the cause since january and then be told make your own way up to dublin,i dont think that would do much for unity or morale in the camp especially when you hear all this rubbish about it been all about the panel and about 30 lads giving it all at training, what exspense extra would it be to bring an extra 6 or 7 men on the bus last sunday? if it was to do with cost cutting measures maybe just drop one of those training exercises at carton house, at least all members of the exstended panel may get a bit of fairness and treated equally for there time and effort put in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

I think our next Championship meeting with Galway will be very bad tempered after what happened the last day

I don't think so. It wasn't like we lost because of a dirty stroke/malicious Galway play. Sure, bad memories will spur the lads on but I doubt it'd be bad tempered.
    for me this year Conor o mahoney.

Unsure if you meant for the semi final or 2016 but bringing on O' Mahoney for the semi final would have been madness.
    danganabu wrote: »
    Damien Young, Drom is the guy in question, David from Toom plays for Kildare now..

Thanks for the correction.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement