Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2015

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

O'Mahony was brought on for the semi final and scored a point

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

primary 2 wrote: »
    well from what i saw of john mcgrath against limerick in the u 21 semi final i wasnt two impressed with him

He was injured and should never have started, he was very impressive in the league this year and without that injury would surely have featured if not started, lack of genuine pace is the only slight concern but like his two brothers is definitely good enough for that not to be an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

O'Mahony was brought on for the semi final and scored a point

But I don't think he played even enough over the season to warrant a start.

Well, he was never going to start

Agreed, when a player is as intelligent as John MCgRATH, he reads the game very well - like Noel, he doesn't need to be fast - but, how many non pacy players you can have in this day and age is a question. But, I would say, if a player can read the game, and essentially win his own ball and produce - a lack of pace is soon forgiven...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 247 ✭✭primary 2

danganabu wrote: »
    He was injured and should never have started, he was very impressive in the league this year and without that injury would surely have featured if not started, lack of genuine pace is the only slight concern but like his two brothers is definitely good enough for that not to be an issue.

he is a great sticksman like his brother i am not doubting that,but is it not pace,aggression and ball winners that we are crying out for in the fowards? the whole country agrees that he have the most skillfull wristy fowards but as you can see that is not a enough to get us over the finish line it pains me to say

Throwing of hurleys, wild over head pulls, tipp being criticised that they weren't physical or hungry enough, off the ball stroke on Woodlock, swipe on Callanan after third goal, Joe's high swipe on Barry - there was some real niggle from Galway. Tipp will address that. No doubts about it

I wouldn't dismiss him as just a stickman - has shown ability to win ball and get out in front. Might be a midfielder long term

I wouldn't dismiss him as just a stickman - has shown ability to win ball and get out in front. Might be a midfielder long term

since we are a bit short at midfield he could be worth a shot there and also in your earlier post do you think galway over stepped the mark in the physical stakes?

John will definitely need to bulk up for midfield.

I think they did in certain circumstances - and a few heads on the KK thread think so too. Mannion has been flying close to a red for a few games now

• Advertisement

Hohn will definitely need to bulk up for midfield.

I think they did in certain circumstances - and a few heads on the KK thread think so too. Mannion has been flying close to a red for a few games now

any tipp people i was talking to never once mentioned this issue to me that galway were durty they just thought they were the better team on the day, but i was talking to some people from kilkenny that i know that were up at the match and it was the first thing that they remarked on was that galway were durty, personaly i didnt think so apart from the odd isolated inicendt

Rewatching it, i think its obvious Galway decided, we are going to get stuck into these guys. That's how you beat them

Have to say im really liking the job Liam Cahill is doing with our minors moreso after Sunday. Its a mixture of good sticksmen and good battlers. Very impressed with the way we are able to close out games for such a young side. Admittedly we met a Waterford side with arguably more talent but we stuck with it, never gave up and got the result. Same against Clare, Limerick in the Munster final and Dublin. Real grit about this side and showing experience well above their years. Very very hardworking. Tommy Nolan would be arguably one of the sticksmen of the group but he proved he was willing to scrap if needed. He lost a ball at one stage but put in a determined hook. We managed to get a point from the ensuing break.

Suppose we get mullered out the gate against Galway id be optimistic that we have a very good crop coming through.

any tipp people i was talking to never once mentioned this issue to me that galway were durty they just thought they were the better team on the day, but i was talking to some people from kilkenny that i know that were up at the match and it was the first thing that they remarked on was that galway were durty, personaly i didnt think so apart from the odd isolated inicendt

There was one or two tackles but they were well in isolation. Seamies was dangerous but it was done to curb his attack rather than injure the player but could admittedly have seriously injured him the way he landed. We threw a hurley in desperation ourselves at the youngfella before he slotted the winner moreso out of desperation similar to John Dalton back in 2010.

Overall i thought the contest was intense but relatively clean. Yes the fouls highlighted by Westside were fouls that could have had further punishment but i would say Galway went in to get stuck in. They are a physical team but no way on earth id consider them dirty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭blackcard

There was one or two tackles but they were well in isolation. Seamies was dangerous but it was done to curb his attack rather than injure the player but could admittedly have seriously injured him the way he landed. We threw a hurley in desperation ourselves at the youngfella before he slotted the winner moreso out of desperation similar to John Dalton back in 2010.

Overall i thought the contest was intense but relatively clean. Yes the fouls highlighted by Westside were fouls that could have had further punishment but i would say Galway went in to get stuck in. They are a physical team but no way on earth id consider them dirty.

John Tennyson rather than John Dalton threw the hurl

blackcard wrote: »
    John Tennyson rather than John Dalton threw the hurl

Tennyson to be fair to him was in serious pain that day. Was never right after it. Henry didnt know it at the time but having to come off that day actually bought him four more years and 3 more medals. Tennyson actually never played again for KK as far as i recall.

Tennyson threw it from a lot further too - dished out a dead leg to o'mahony too!!!!!!!!

Have to say im really liking the job Liam Cahill is doing with our minors moreso after Sunday. Its a mixture of good sticksmen and good battlers. Very impressed with the way we are able to close out games for such a young side. Admittedly we met a Waterford side with arguably more talent but we stuck with it, never gave up and got the result. Same against Clare, Limerick in the Munster final and Dublin. Real grit about this side and showing experience well above their years. Very very hardworking. Tommy Nolan would be arguably one of the sticksmen of the group but he proved he was willing to scrap if needed. He lost a ball at one stage but put in a determined hook. We managed to get a point from the ensuing break.

Suppose we get mullered out the gate against Galway id be optimistic that we have a very good crop coming through.

i think he is doing a great job myself,heard him on the radio after the match he was saying how they looked at the staticits at half time and they saw they saw the were losing the battle at midfield and there own half foward line so at half time they changed tactics went short with the puckouts and bypassed these areas, thats good going to be able to reflect and look at these issues and be able to make those calls during the heat of battle. what really impresses me about this team is when the game is in the melting pot,there to be won they are able to all dig in and get the job over the line, in the munster final when the game was tight and starting to slip away and some poor refereeing decisions going against them they didnt throw in the towl and dug deep and finished the job

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭blackcard

Tennyson to be fair to him was in serious pain that day. Was never right after it. Henry didnt know it at the time but having to come off that day actually bought him four more years and 3 more medals. Tennyson actually never played again for KK as far as i recall.

You are right about Tennyson, afaik he had to get his cruciate done anyway but he never got back to where he was before

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

There's a fund raising night in Thurles Greyhound Track for Eddie Connolly on September 18th. I don't know the man but I'll make it my business to get over there that night, as I'm sure many people will.

he is a great sticksman like his brother i am not doubting that,but is it not pace,aggression and ball winners that we are crying out for in the fowards? the whole country agrees that he have the most skillfull wristy fowards but as you can see that is not a enough to get us over the finish line it pains me to say

John McGrath is well able to win his own ball so that wouldnt be a concern at all, inclose enough to the goal and his pace won't be an issue, the great Eoin Kelly was never blessed with pace but a really good hurler can overcome it with talent and intelligence, John McGrath has both in spades.

I wouldn't say we have definitvley the most skillfull forwards in the country either, thats a cliche that has been thrown out by lazy journalists and pundits. Of our starting forwards last Sunday I would put Seamie, Bubbles and Forde into that category, certainly not the other 3, in fact one of them isn't even a forward.

Forward play is all about balance and Bonner returning to centre forward would be a huge plus in that regard.

Some people would argue that Niall O'Meara should be further out the field also - but, he has played a lot of hurling with Tipp in teh forwards - but, plays center back at club and midfield with Mary I (I think)

Some people would argue that Niall O'Meara should be further out the field also - but, he has played a lot of hurling with Tipp in teh forwards - but, plays center back at club and midfield with Mary I (I think)

His inability or reluctance to catch a high ball is my biggest gripe with him, he is as honest as the day is long and very industrious but if you can't win primary possesion, doesn't play centre back with Kilruane either, plays centre froward with his brother Buggy full forward. Former u21 county star Ray McLoughney plays centre back.

At times he does - But, I've seen him line out at center back for Kilruane umpteen times - he can catch a ball but he is finding it hard at this level - will come with time

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭robbiezero

danganabu wrote: »
    John McGrath is well able to win his own ball so that wouldnt be a concern at all, inclose enough to the goal and his pace won't be an issue, the great Eoin Kelly was never blessed with pace but a really good hurler can overcome it with talent and intelligence, John McGrath has both in spades.

I wouldn't say we have definitvley the most skillfull forwards in the country either, thats a cliche that has been thrown out by lazy journalists and pundits. Of our starting forwards last Sunday I would put Seamie, Bubbles and Forde into that category, certainly not the other 3, in fact one of them isn't even a forward.

Forward play is all about balance and Bonner returning to centre forward would be a huge plus in that regard.

Forde has a long way to go before he can be put in that category. He may well get there and I hope he does, but he will have to deliver far more in the future.

robbiezero wrote: »
    Forde has a long way to go before he can be put in that category. He may well get there and I hope he does, but he will have to deliver far more in the future.

We're talking about skill levels exclusively here not about anything else, and I can guarantee you that he is even more skillfull than Seamie and on a par with Bubbles, no question. It's other parts of his game that need developing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

Mick Ryan was at the North Final yesterday and won't have seen too many players he could call up for next year bar Joe Gallagher who was very good. Brian Stapleton was disappointing at midfield yesterday. Kildangan won by 3 but were comfortable despite the narrow winning margin.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Rasputin11 wrote: »
    Mick Ryan was at the North Final yesterday and won't have seen too many players he could call up for next year bar Joe Gallagher who was very good. Brian Stapleton was disappointing at midfield yesterday. Kildangan won by 3 but were comfortable despite the narrow winning margin.
    Very poor game. Neither side was much good and wont go too far in rest of championship on basis of yesterday. Thought Kildangan should have won by more and deserved to but didn't need to as T'derry didn't do enough with the breeze.

Anyone at the other divisional finals?
    Mid Final - Thurles Sarsfields 1-17 Loughmore Castleiney 2-13
    North Final - Kildangan 1-18 Templederry Kenyons 0-18
    South Final - Killenaule 0-21 Mullinahone 2-13
    West Final - Eire Og Annacarty 0-16 Knockavilla Donaskeigh Kickhams 2-9

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Next round of County Championship has been drawn
    Mid champs Sars v South runners up Mullinahone, North champs Kildangan v Upperchurch-D, West champs Eire Og v Lorrha
    South champs Killenaule v Portroe, Nenagh v Roscrea, Kilruane v Brackens. Byes: Drom and Clonoulty

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement