Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2015

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

Killenaule are south champs -Mullinahone were runners ups

Next round of County Championship has been drawn
    Mid champs Sars v South runners up Mullinahone, North champs Kildangan v Upperchurch-D, West champs Eire Og v Lorrha
    South champs Killenaule v Portroe, Nenagh v Roscrea, Kilruane v Brackens. Byes: Drom and Clonoulty

Badly thought out draw.

Surely the four that both won their division and either won or came runner up in their group should get a bye and the preliminary round should have the 8 of the other teams??

EDIT: And if they were only willing to giving byes to 2 teams then surely Sars and Killenaule should have been priotised. Both won their and both won the divisions and both won their Roinn 1 groups

With the greatest of respect to Drom and Clonoulty, why on earth give either of them a bye?? More 'luck of the draw nonsense from the GAA'.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Xenophile

About time we got behind our Minor Footballers for their game against Kildare on Sunday next.

It would be great to win and have another crack against Kerry on All Ireland final day. Well done to the Minors so far you are an inspiration to all the county.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,992 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Will be some experience for our minors, playing in front of 80,000 people in croker. Doesn't get much better than that. Just sickened it's sold out and cannot get a ticket. How good are Kildare?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Jim Bowen

How good are Kildare?
    Very good; but not as good as Galway.....oh wait

• Advertisement

Different code and grade, you absolute tonic of a Jim Bowen!

Xenophile wrote: »
    About time we got behind our Minor Footballers for their game against Kildare on Sunday next.

It would be great to win and have another crack against Kerry on All Ireland final day. Well done to the Minors so far you are an inspiration to all the county.

Will be looking forward too seeing in particular how the bould and bearded Aidan Buckley gets on.

Different code and grade, you absolute tonic of a Jim Bowen!

Is he referring to the Galway minors who we beat on August 3rd perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Tubberadora

Will be some experience for our minors, playing in front of 80,000 people in croker. Doesn't get much better than that. Just sickened it's sold out and cannot get a ticket. How good are Kildare?
    Kildare are not that good. Scraped past Laois and Offaly and lost to Louth in round robin stages I think. Shocked Dublin alright, beat Longford in a poor Leinster final, scraped through against Cavan after going 10 points up. Looks like they are being judged on beating Dublin which may have been a freak result. We certainly wouldnt be afraid of playing Offaly Louth, Laois, Longford or Cavan who have all run Kildare close.
    18th April - Louth (2-14) Kildare (2-11)
    6th May - Kildare (0-14) Offaly (0-13)
    15th May - Kildare (1-10) Laois (1-09)
    28th June - Kildare (3-16) Dublin (3-13)
    12th July - Kildare (2-15) Longford (1-09)
    1st August - Kildare (2-14) Cavan (2-12)

I will be gladly taking the 6/4 available on Tipp on Sunday. I will be at a wedding Saturday. This will pay for the cure!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Xenophile

I will be gladly taking the 6/4 available on Tipp on Sunday. I will be at a wedding Saturday. This will pay for the cure!

Hope so!

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

I think someone would wanna be crazy putting money on a minor game. There's so many variables. Though I never bet on anything personally...

Tipp minors are 13/8 I'll be having myself some of that.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

There is going to be sweeping changes to the Senior Hurling Panel next year I've been told, probably looking at a few retirements and a number of players moved on.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭PlayByTheRules

Yeah, Tipp need to find more 6foot + players, weighing over 13.5 stone, who can catch a ball out of the air with an opponents arm wrapped around their neck, that is how you win nowadays. Galway appear to have learnt as much.

Rasputin11 wrote: »
    There is going to be sweeping changes to the Senior Hurling Panel next year I've been told, probably looking at a few retirements and a number of players moved on.

I needed in my opinion. We're Atleast 4 players short of winning an all Ireland. Midfield needs to be sorted out along with out half forward line. I'd expect brendan Maher to go back centre back next season.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Who told you that?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Rasputin11 wrote: »
    There is going to be sweeping changes to the Senior Hurling squad next year I've been told, probably looking at a few retirements and a number of players moved on.
    Who do you think will retire and who will be moved on?
    I needed in my opinion. We're Atleast 4 players short of winning an all Ireland. Midfield needs to be sorted out along with out half forward line. I'd expect brendan Maher to go back centre back next season.
    Where will 4 players be found?
    How would you sort out midfield/half forward line??
    Who told you that?
    I would imagine that's just his opinion.... Nobody has told him anything and that's just his thoughts....

"I would imagine that's just his opinion.... Nobody has told him anything and that's just his thoughts...."

Well, Rasputin says he was told...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

"I would imagine that's just his opinion.... Nobody has told him anything and that's just his thoughts...."

Well, Rasputin says he was told...

The same fella who told me that COB would start the game against Galway in place of Breen. I'm sure there are plenty of lads on here who know somebody involved with the panel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Who's getting the chop? Can't see lar back. Shane mc grath doesn't seem up to it now after his 'second coming'. Can't think of anyone else,...

digzy wrote: »
    Who's getting the chop? Can't see lar back. Shane mc grath doesn't seem up to it now after his 'second coming'. Can't think of anyone else,...

Conor o mahony?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Well, if Michael has a vision of a way he wants to play hurling - the faces of O'Shea's era and type of hurling style might not fit...If that's the case, a new, more direct style of hurling, could be employed.

You might see the tippy tappy lads - the more skill heads up lads but not quite blood and thunder aerial threats, being let go... - or at least relegated to the bench...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Paddico

I will be gladly taking the 6/4 available on Tipp on Sunday.

I'll be 'aving a bit of that :cool:

Yeah, Tipp need to find more 6foot + players, weighing over 13.5 stone, who can catch a ball out of the air with an opponents arm wrapped around their neck, that is how you win nowadays. Galway appear to have learnt as much.

Well i think its a sad day if a player is judged on size rather than ability to be honest. We dont lack size, we lack a bit more application and intensity. For god sake i could understand if we were hammered but we lost by a late late solitary score in the cold light of day.

Its the 'pick em big' mindset that has been the detriment of soccer in both Britain and Ireland. Im not saying big players cant hurl and Mikey Breen is an example of a strong lad who is technically very good but if we are going down the road of overlooking players because of their height and picking hurlings 'Carlton Palmers' then it will be a few more barren years in Tippperary ahead.

John Leahy and Tommy Walsh are two examples of small men who can field. Who got hurler of the year last year?...yep Richie Hogan. Look at the ferociousness of Cathal Barrett, and look at the work rate of Shane O'Donnell who is far from a giant.

And we may be guilty of overrating Galway too early. For all the talk of their performance they won by a single point in injury time....1 point! and yes they were better on the day but you could probably count the excellent Galway performances the last few years on one hand and have fingers to spare. I genuinely wish them well in the final but im not convinced they are something we should aspire to yet.

Whatever about a lack of height we do lack players who are good at catching a ball. Also you do need physicality in the half back and half forward lines especially. Our half backs were bullied by Galway. Still don't think we've solved the centre forward position. Imo woodlock could be tried half forward. We need two new midfielders also. Maybe bergin Could be one. Half back and half forward lines win all Irelands,and we haven't been good enough in either line this year.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Another insightful Westside column. This guy is gold.

http://www.tippsupportersclub.com/westside-column-28-august-2015/

Whatever about a lack of height we do lack players who are good at catching a ball. Also you do need physicality in the half back and half forward lines especially. Our half backs were bullied by Galway. Still don't think we've solved the centre forward position. Imo woodlock could be tried half forward. We need two new midfielders also. Maybe bergin Could be one. Half back and half forward lines win all Irelands,and we haven't been good enough in either line this year.

I agree with you on the fielding issue. Its been Tipperary's achilles heel with a long time now and we've seen many opposition centre and wing backs having exceptional games against us over the years.

From Seanie Mcmahon to Peter Barry to Ronan Curran to Brick Walsh to Tommy Walsh to Kieran Joyce and lots more.

I thought our puckout strategy was insane too. We played ourselves right into a funnel on several occasions and surrendered alot of possession and as Westside pointed out we coughed up many scores from those errors

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Some amount of ground hurling in that,more like Hockey back in them days by the looks of that clip.

• Advertisement

tippspur wrote: »
    Some amount of ground hurling in that,more like Hockey back in them days by the looks of that clip.

3-11 to 3 points up against the Cats in the All ireland final with quarter of an hour to go and the marble faithful pouring out of the exits of the stadium......oh what i wouldnt give for one of those days!!! :D

Although 2010 was very very unique in its own way too. Mores the pity it stands in such isolation.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement