Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Xenophile

If Tipp put in a good shift in the final...........no contest Charlie McGeever :)

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

Xenophile wrote: »
    If Tipp put in a good shift in the final...........no contest Charlie McGeever :)

What about a management team of of Davy Power, Tommy Twomey and Charlie Mcgeever and also maybe Declan Browne?

Id like us to be able to draw a big name in terms of being in a consultancy role too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,989 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

What about a management team of of Davy Power, Tommy Twomey and Charlie Mcgeever and also maybe Declan Browne?

Id like us to be able to draw a big name in terms of being in a consultancy role too.

Tommy Carr Could be our big name. Loads of experience, been there done that, one of our best exports. Although I'd miss him off the radio, does very good analysis imo.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Tommy Carr Could be our big name. Loads of experience, been there done that, one of our best exports. Although I'd miss him off the radio, does very good analysis imo.

Didnt exactly set the world on fire in either Cavan or Roscommon. Bit unlucky in Dublin but that was way back in the early noughties/late 90s with a poor Dublin team admittedly aside from Collie Moran, Ciaran Whelan and one or two others. How in touch with the modern game really is he?

The next manager should be allowed to pick his own back room team, with all due respect to David Power, Wexford were demoted in the league this year to Division 4 with a points tally of 4. Two of these points were achieved against Tipperary when they played their only home game in Clonmel. At that stage there was nothing at stake for Tipp as they were neither playing for promotion or relegation. Let David Power concentrate on getting Wexford out of Division 4

Just hope that Tipp will be playing all their home games in Thurles this year and give all of the county a chance to see some of our upcoming talent.

Get a mid point between Ballyporeen and Borrisokane and play all the games there................Thurles.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Get a mid point between Ballyporeen and Borrisokane and play all the games there................Thurles.

Would make perfect sense, if there was an equal divide in support for the hurlers and footballers respectively, which of course is not and never will be the case. The number of people in North Tipperary who have any more than a passing interest in football is tiny and not ever likely to change.

All that said I dont have any problem with Thurles being the venue for all the footballers games, I just don't see the benefit of playing games further away from where the vast majority of your fan base is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

I think Tommy Carr is only a big name in his own mind, his managerial record is terrible and he is a bluffer, it would be a step backwards, as would Liam Kearns who has also been mentioned, both of whom I would put in the same bracket as John Evans so it would not be a step forward or a 'statement of intent' as Mr Hannigan has promised.

danganabu wrote: »
    All that said I dont have any problem with Thurles being the venue for all the footballers games, I just don't see the benefit of playing games further away from where the vast majority of your fan base is.

The North fan base will grow

Alan Tynan has the makings of one the best dual players we ever had.
    Kevin O Halloran young and all as he is, is as good as any if not the best dead ball kicker in the game at present.
    Philip Austin makes a marvellous contribution and will do so for a few years yet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

Former stars failed Tipperary, says Liam Cahill

Wednesday, September 02, 2015By Jackie Cahill
    Tipperary minor manager Liam Cahill believes some former stars have “failed” their county by refusing to get involved in the coaching of underage teams.

Cahill approached a number of ex-county players for assistance after taking over as minor boss and was taken aback when his advances were rejected.

Former All-Star forward Cahill endured a difficult first season in charge (2014) as Tipperary were knocked out of the Munster championship by Clare and finished with 12 players in Ennis.

But the straight-talking Ballingarry native absorbed some salient lessons and this year’s crop won the Munster title before advancing to Sunday’s Electric Ireland All-Ireland final against Galway at Croke Park.
    READ NEXT Walter Walsh aims to repeat 2012 heroics

Cahill said: “The bottom line is that when I was given this job a year and-a-half ago, when I looked for past county players to come on board a lot of them weren’t prepared to grasp the nettle.

“I felt, and we said it when we sat down after our defeat in Ennis and we discussed it as a development committee with the board, that our past players in this county had failed us to an extent, bar the few that stepped up.

“You have Declan Fanning and Paul Curran taking on coaching roles (at senior level).

“But again that’s at a higher spectrum and I feel that the past players have failed us at the lower spectrum, at U14, U15 and U16, the particular areas where they’re needed.

“I was very disappointed last year when I approached several players. They either had no interest or it intimidated them or they felt that they weren’t competent enough.

“And these were fellows who had got so much from Tipperary hurling and who weren’t prepared to put their heads on the block and give something back.”

Cahill revealed that preparations for 2015 began three weeks after the Ennis defeat. Talks began with then county board chairman Sean Nugent, who then liaised with games development officers in the county before a plan was put in place to improve standards.

Cahill added: “We had to see what we could do in the short term to improve the situation and thankfully to date it seems to be working.

“The profile of underage hurling is back up to where it needs to be to get the results required to keep the conveyor belt coming.

“A little over 12 months ago this particular set-up and this grade had been on a real downer after two very poor performances against Limerick and Clare. So it’s great to be back up the ladder and into an All-Ireland final.

“A lot of work and a lot of things had to change to get us to where we are today.

“From our own perspective as a management team and in conjunction with the county board, more focus had to be put on underage hurling in the county as quickly as possible.

“The wagons were circling and we were trying to get this Ash (Advanced School of Hurling) programme up and running as quickly and as progressively as possible.

“We just completed year two of it, which is obviously increasing the focus and awareness of these young men as well as to what’s required to play minor hurling for Tipperary.

Everywhere Tommy Carr goes he falls out with people. He is a military man and it dosen't work with the modern day player. THere's been several occasions when the pressure gets to him and he leaves a bad taste. I remember that huge game in Thurles between Kerry and Dublin - he behaved like a fool that day. Running on the field and confronting the referee - and trying to put Maurice Fitzgerald off when he kicked that epic sideline over. Never so happy to see a ball go over....

• Advertisement

Everywhere Tommy Carr goes he falls out with people. He is a military man and it dosen't work with the modern day player. THere's been several occasions when the pressure gets to him and he leaves a bad taste. I remember that huge game in Thurles between Kerry and Dublin - he behaved like a fool that day. Running on the field and confronting the referee - and trying to put Maurice Fitzgerald off when he kicked that epic sideline over. Never so happy to see a ball go over....

The bulls*it he came out with on Off the ball when Ciaran Kilkenny quit Aussie rules was well out of order too

danganabu wrote: »
    Would make perfect sense, if there was an equal divide in support for the hurlers and footballers respectively, which of course is not and never will be the case. The number of people in North Tipperary who have any more than a passing interest in football is tiny and not ever likely to change.

In terms of trying to promote football and send out the right message though Xenophile is right. Playing down in Ardfinnan is hardly going to encourage someone from the northern most parts of the county to attend a match whatever the chances of them doing so in Thurles

Economically i suppose though we make a fair loss on hosting each match in thurles at the moment but If the team can significantly improve over the next few years then i think the league crowds will build. Not to the extent of the hurlers mind but respectable all the same. And if we can build consistency in the championship then thats an even bigger incentive. We had good turnouts for the u21 campaign this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

Kevin O Halloran young and all as he is, is as good as any if not the best dead ball kicker in the game at present.
    Philip Austin makes a marvellous contribution and will do so for a few years yet!

Tynan has 2 days out left in a Tipp jersey before he signs for the Leinster Academy, similar to Sweetnam who hurled with Cork.

Leinster? Munster messed up there...

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Tubberadora

Roscrea play Leinster Schools Rugby

And?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Will Tynan commit to the GAA considering his abilities/strengths in other sports?
    Rasputin11 wrote: »
    Tynan has 2 days out left in a Tipp jersey before he signs for the Leinster Academy, similar to Sweetnam who hurled with Cork.
    Why do you assume he will sign for/is good enough for the Leinster Academy system?
    He plays rugby for a school in the Leinster system. If good enough to play provincial underage rugby its most likely Leinster not Munster he would play for. It has been a very very long time since a current Cistercian Roscrea student has played for a Munster under 18/19 team
    And?
    They are officiated under leinster regulations. Nearly all students there regardless of where they are from will play for Leinster underage teams. There has been countless examples of kids from Ballinasloe/Galway city/anywhere in Connacht who board in Roscrea who have played for Leinster and not Connacht due to being in school in Cistercian roscrea

"If good enough to play provincial underage rugby its most likely Leinster not Munster he would play for. " = No, makes no sense. If he is good enough he can play for who he chooses to play for - why would be automatically choose to play for Leinster over Munster because he's good enough to play for the national or a provincial side....bizarre...

Dick Spring, Gavin Duffy, T O'H all played for Roscrea and went back to their provinces... - Jim Glennon went to Roscrea and choose to play for his province - Leinster.

A lot of Rockwell's Connacht players go back to the Connacht academy...

There's no hard and fast rule that Roscrea players all play for Leinster or are expected to...just because they Leinster Schools rugby

I stick by my - And!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Tubberadora

"If good enough to play provincial underage rugby its most likely Leinster not Munster he would play for. " = No, makes no sense. If he is good enough he can play for who he chooses to play for - why would be automatically choose to play for Leinster over Munster because he's good enough to play for the national or a provincial side....bizarre...

Dick Spring, Gavin Duffy, T O'H all played for Roscrea and went back to their provinces... - Jim Glennon went to Roscrea and choose to play for his province - Leinster.

There's no hard and fast rule that Roscrea players all play for Leinster or are expected to...just because they Leinster Schools rugby

I stick by my - And!!!!
    Or maybe they asked him first, and rather than snub them in the hope munster might come knocking, he accepted.
    Would a young lad from Manchester turn down a trial with Liverpool if they asked?

Or maybe they asked him first, and rather than snub them in the hope munster might come knocking, he accepted.
    Would a young lad from Manchester turn down a trial with Liverpool if they asked?

Exactly, sure Ian Dowling from Kilkenny played for Munster, Jerry Flannery from Limerick played for Connacht at one stage. Pro game now. Leinster will probably get first dabs on him with him playing within their system but if he is a free agent then i would doubt there would be much to stop him going to Munster if given the chance either.

Pity to lose him but i wish him all the best. Really cant blame the lad if he avails of such a big opportunity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

Why do you assume he will sign for/is good enough for the Leinster Academy system?

A fella that he hurls with on the Roscrea hurling team says Tynan's GAA days are numbered as he will shortly sign with the Leinster Academy. He'll be a loss to Tipp GAA but you couldn't begrudge him a shot at a professional sports career.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

In dick springs day the academy system wasn't in place like it is now.

I stick by my - And!!!!

Look, will you just accept roscrea school is part of the Leinster schools system. The scouts/administrators for Leinster rugby are involved in the roscrea games not the Munster ones. Therefore roscrea players who gain 'promotion' end up in Leinster academy.

I'm sure there's non Munster lads in Rockwell who's first option is the Munster academy if they're staying in rugby.

What that's got to do with me?

All I said was in my opinion Munster messed up by not getting him!

I've never questioned that - all i've stated is that it is not set in stone that a roscrea player goes to Leinster...

Everybody knows Roscrea play in the Leinster schools...

I would say down there!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Personally i couldnt care less about munster or leinster or rugby in general. Best of luck to our young hurlers on sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Personally i couldnt care less about munster or leinster or rugby in general.

Personally, I identify more with the tipp teams cos I'm from here and identify with players and ex players because we go to the same schools same jobs, etc...

The rugby would be a close 2nd though. Once again, I identify with the players esp the Munster lads.

Just can't warm to the soccer lads though. Only ones I'd have an interest in would be long and o Shea. There's something a bit plastic about a lad who'd a grandparent born here, with the other 3 from Jamaica or some other far flung location, growing up in Croydon or Salford playing for Ireland.

I wonder who the cats will be shouting for in the minor game;) I'd guess the whole stadium will be up for the Galway lads!

• Advertisement

Rasputin11 wrote: »

Let's wait and see as far as I am concerned Tynan has not got the physique of a rugby player, If he does decide to play rugby, his body will be a total wreck before he is fifty, he will be a walking wounded in a very short time!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement