Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭buggy beag

cheers lad

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Paddico

• Site Banned Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Spirit of 67

Paddico wrote: »

Might head in , decent Under 21 team again this year . Minors playing Longford in Longford in the Leinster Minor Football League in Ballymahon also .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

The Tipperary Senior Hurling Team to play Dublin Sunday is
    1 Darren Gleeson
    2 Cathal Barrett
    3 Paul Curran
    4 Joe O Dwyer
    5 Kieran Bergin
    6 Conor O Mahony
    7 Paudi Maher
    8 Shane McGrath
    9 Brendan Maher
    10 Denis Maher
    11 Bonner Maher
    12 James Woodlock
    13 Bubbles O Dwyer
    14 Seamus Callanan
    15 Jason Forde

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Decent team,hope they get off to a good start to the League up in Parnell park,don't think we have a great record away to the Dubs.

• Advertisement

Yes, the record up there is quite poor - will be tough - no sign of a dublin team yet...Liam Rushe has been playing full forward recently though....

oh wait here is the dublin team

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=949649858379875

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

The Tipperary Senior Hurling Team to play Dublin Sunday is
    1 Darren Gleeson
    2 Cathal Barrett
    3 Paul Curran
    4 Joe O Dwyer
    5 Kieran Bergin
    6 Conor O Mahony
    7 Paudi Maher
    8 Shane McGrath
    9 Brendan Maher
    10 Denis Maher
    11 Bonner Maher
    12 James Woodlock
    13 Bubbles O Dwyer
    14 Seamus Callanan
    15 Jason Forde

That team will account for the best that Dublin has to offer. Is Lar injured/available?

I'd imagine he is training away.... there is nothing to be found out about Lar at this stage of his career - time enough for Lar to get game time....

time to let others get some experience and stick their hands up for selection

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

Should we be expecting to see many new faces during the league do we think?
    More depth in the forwards is needed and another midfield option is what I'd be hoping to uncover.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Ompala

Strong team on paper at least, any word on Niall O Meara? Very unlucky last year and would be a real asset to the half forward line imo

• Advertisement

This young man has real character - had a stormer through such personal issues

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/cathal-barrett-keeping-the-fight-going-for-the-family-30991542.html

• Registered Users Posts: 14,683 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Christ, what is going on?. . . .

It's called the league!!!!

Dreadful first half from Tipp,massive improvement needed after the break.

Allianz Hurling League Division 1A Tipperary 0-14 Dublin 2-20 (FT) Dublin goals by E.Dillon and L.Rushe

That was an awful start to the League for Tipp,a hammering from the dubs is not good no matter what the time of year is,if it wasn't for bubbles the beating would be a lot worse.

Yet, it's hardly surprising. It has to be taken in context....Dublin got roasted by us last in the championship - they've been itching for this chance - on their own patch - a tight pitch - which doesn't suit us - first game of the year....

All I want from Tipp in the league is avoid relegation and give players experience- hopefully put together a more adequate half forward line...

I'd like to see Niall O'Meara, John McGrath, John Meagher and a few others get a run the next day...

I wouldn't be surprised if Galway beat us next time out either...

• Registered Users Posts: 16 mr. bob dobilina

Up the Premier! New thread for 2015 officially opened

Cmon THE CATS

Intelligent and witty, nice one, Bob! Best of luck with life!

out of the dubs,kilkenny,galway,cork and clare you would see the dubs as the weakest team so would have liked to have beaten them so not have to play a so called better team to be trying to avoid relegation.thought we were well off the pace today,i know its first game of the league but disappointing nonetheless

• Advertisement

Not as bad as Eamon's first year in the league!!! Probably worse than last year's opener...but last year was some collapse in the second half...

We're improving in the league!!

Ah no, I won't fret yet...

I just want us to avoid relegation and not get tied up in the later stages of the league...so we can get set on the Munster championship early... - I think its vital we win Munster this year

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

It's called the league!!!!
    So. You need a good league to do well in championship and that's the case bar a few small exceptions in recent years.
    Yet, it's hardly surprising. It has to be taken in context....Dublin got roasted by us last in the championship - they've been itching for this chance - on their own patch - a tight pitch - which doesn't suit us - first game of the year....

All I want from Tipp in the league is avoid relegation and give players experience- hopefully put together a more adequate half forward line...

I'd like to see Niall O'Meara, John McGrath, John Meagher and a few others get a run the next day...

I wouldn't be surprised if Galway beat us next time out either...
    Just avoiding relegation and adding a few players isn't good enough. Players and coaches wont accept that so why should we?
    I just want us to avoid relegation and not get tied up in the later stages of the league...so we can get set on the Munster championship early... - I think its vital we win Munster this year
    Getting tied up in latter stages of League has never really hampered Kilkenny or other counties at the top so why should we be making excuses.

No, you don't need a good league - you don't even need to be in the top league. Look at Limerick last year - they've beaten us two years running from division 2...

In 2013 we were in the league final and were out in two championship matches..

In 2010 we didn't make the league final...

We've been in a lot of finals and lost them - I see it as needing to be fresh for munster - because we need the short route this year - straight to the final and we need the confidence of winning munster - we need to win a big cup and the munster is a bigger cup than the league - It's championship- and direct route for confidence and freshness

We've lost leaders - we need new ones - new lads to step up now. Avoiding relegation and finding players is good enough for me. We desperately need new half forwards and a midfielder to a lesser extent...- it's a priority - winning ball - we are too stuck to one game plan without two ball winning wing forwards.

The league is not the same for KIlkenny - the munster championship begins much earlier... - there is no real game for KK in leinster... - not for a while - that might change - but they haven't been tested in Leinster really apart from Dublin a few year ago - KK have been peaking for august nicely every year

What other counties are at the top? KK and Tipp and who? What's the point?

2013 was the year kk and tipp were tired as far as I can see - cork and clare went back into the bunch with a whimper...

These lads had a few months prep on us:

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/hurling/2015/0215/680418-shane-durkin-delighted-with-dublin-display/

Plus, I wouldn't be surprised if we still have an issue with that last painful defeat we underwent. It will take a championship win or two to blow it out of the system. Winning Munster would be just the tonic to regain confidence...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

No, you don't need a good league - you don't even need to be in the top league. Look at Limerick last year - they've beaten us two years running from division 2...

We've been in a lot of finals and lost them - I see it as needing to be fresh for munster - because we need the short route this year - straight to the final and we need the confidence of winning munster - we need to win a big cup and the munster is a bigger cup than the league - It's championship- and direct route for confidence and freshness

We've lost leaders - we need new ones - new lads to step up now. Avoiding relegation and finding players is good enough for me. We desperately need new half forwards and a midfielder to a lesser extent...- it's a priority - winning ball - we are too stuck to one game plan without two ball winning wing forwards.

The league is not the same for KIlkenny - the munster championship begins much earlier... - there is no real game for KK in leinster... - not for a while - that might change - but they haven't been tested in Leinster really apart from Dublin a few year ago - KK have been peaking for august nicely every year

2013 was the year kk and tipp were tired as far as I can see - cork and clare went back into the bunch with a whimper...

I think Galway/Dublin/Wexford might disagree with you there...

How many Leinster championships have they won between them in the last 16 years? Kilkenny have won 13 out of the last 16....

So i'd have to disagree with them...

KK have 17 out of the last 25, I think... - that's ridiculous...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

This talk of "being fresh"? Getting to a league final isn't going to draw so much that players will be completely disadvantaged going into their opening game in Munster
    2 years doesn't prove your point. Too small of a timeframe and isn't proof of anything.

It's the two years where Kilkenny didn't win the all-ireland - and the winners of the ALL-IRELAND were not in the league final... - coincidence? Whereas most of the years Kilkenny are in league finals and winning it - but the leinster championship, due to its late start due to the group system, lends itself to the league more than those out first at the end of may in Munster

Kilkenny don't play until the end of June... - Tipp were out last year on the 1st of june... - if you're trying to peak for August/September that makes a difference....Clare playing Limerick on the 25th may this year - that's a long way out from September - it's hard to juggle fitness and form for that long - Tipp this year have the luxury of not being out until the 21st of June - i think that will make a difference to them this year - good break between league and championship - get out of the papers and limelight for awhile - good period of time to work on things and break out of the traps

That KK win leagues and championships is more so the unusual - but that's down to their freakish strength in player depth and standard of manager. I think it does prove a lot...

That's my take on it! You don't have to agree with me - but I don't agree that if your out early in championship straight after a long league that it doesn't make a difference - It's an amateur sport. It took Tipp a long time to play themselves into form last year - I think the extra time league defeat took a lot out of them - then they were out against limerick soon after and were beaten - confidence hit the floor

We're also different than the other counties - we've contested a lot of finals - we're in a different place - we don't need the confidence of making league finals as barometer - we know were we are - a free away from winning teh whole thing last year - we just need to find a few players - we should have no doubt about our quality and ability to compete with KK - we're close... - we don't have anything to prove regarding our credentials - we just want that cup....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,988 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Jesus terrible start to the new season. Even more worrying was that we sent out an extremely experienced team. Anyone get the stats? Serious amount of wides.

We need to see more young players getting an opportunity, first round of the league away to Dublin was the ideal scenario. Opportunity wasted.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

ya last 15 years in munster cork have won 5 as we have,waterford have won 4 and limerick has won 1 so duno what point citykat is trying to make.munster is way more competitive than leinster

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement