Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2015

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

He can always build his physique in an academy

I posted that on the previous page - yeah, Cahill doesn't shy away from speaking his piece. It's a bit controversial - probably, should have left it until after the final

• Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Xenophile

He can always build his physique in an academy

At what expense to his overall health. Nature provides us with a body to work with according to its make up.

What academy did the Tipperary hurlers of the 50's and 60's need.

No supplements or steroids either, a few pints of Guinness maybe!

Which of whether I wish Alan Tynan the best of luck in whatever he chooses to do,

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

Xenophile wrote: »
    Let's wait and see as far as I am concerned Tynan has not got the physique of a rugby player, If he does decide to play rugby, his body will be a total wreck before he is fifty, he will be a walking wounded in a very short time!

Ah here now of course he hasnt he is still just a boy for god sake. Tomas O'Leary didnt have it either and sure Peter Stringer never looked like a lad who belonged on a rugby field in size anyhow

Sure he could be crippled from playing hurling too, only difference is he wouldnt get paid for his troubles. Look at Nicky English or DJ Carey for example. There is bits of them left in most hurling fields in the country.

I love hurling as much as the next man and I love the amateur ethos of the game but if a lad has the chance to play a professional sport and possibly represent his country at the highest level against the likes of the all blacks then he'd be mad not to have a go (and im not even the biggest rugby fan) And same goes for Colin O'Riordan if he gets his break in Oz.

Its up to the GAA to do everything in their power to keep these lads playing hurling and simply believing that the intrinsic values of the game are enough incentive is sheer delusion. The GAA should be doing all in their power to get sponsorship, endorsements and work for these lads.

Yeah a body to work with...USING WEIGHTS!!!! the right diet and building muscle!!! It's a process of years with nutritionists and various fitness experts...

STEROIDS!!!!

The hurlers of the 50s and 6os wouldn't last five minutes due to the training methods and application now compared to then. It's not a fair comparison. Different generation.

Tynan has achieved a lot so far - whatever happens he can hold his head up. An amazing year from the man. Fair play to him - I hope he manages to achieve his goals whatever sport or career he chooses.

• Advertisement

So every now and awhile you get GAA lads going off to try other sports, like Soccer (Shane Long) or AFL or Rugby, it is called free choice, no big deal. Maybe the most important side of all of this is the individuals total life experience.

The GAA need not change much, overall it is doing mighty fine from Administrators down.

The underage structures are working well, especially with two teams in the All Ireland Minor Finals, There will always be criticism of the GAA and that's a healthy thing.

I hope they will always look at the bigger picture and the individuals right to chose and not change anything based on isolated incidents as in the overall scheme of things that is only what they are.

Of all counties Tipperary are doing well at finding new players at underage level and keeping them. These two minor finals will do a lot to keep kids running around the streets and villages wearing the Blue and Gold jersey.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

So every now and awhile you get GAA lads going off to try other sports, like Soccer (Shane Long) or AFL or Rugby, it is called free choice, no big deal. Maybe the most important side of all of this is the individuals total life experience.

The GAA need not change much, overall it is doing mighty fine from Administrators down.

The underage structures are working well, especially with two teams in the All Ireland Minor Finals, There will always be criticism of the GAA and that's a healthy thing.

I hope they will always look at the bigger picture and the individuals right to chose and not change anything based on isolated incidents as in the overall scheme of things that is only what they are.

Of all counties Tipperary are doing well at finding new players at underage level and keeping them. These two minor finals will do a lot to keep kids running around the streets and villages wearing the Blue and Gold jersey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

Did that fella from Kildare who threw the punch after the match get a ban yet? I see Connolly is out of the replay on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

"If good enough to play provincial underage rugby its most likely Leinster not Munster he would play for. " = No, makes no sense. If he is good enough he can play for who he chooses to play for - why would be automatically choose to play for Leinster over Munster because he's good enough to play for the national or a provincial side....bizarre...

Dick Spring, Gavin Duffy, T O'H all played for Roscrea and went back to their provinces... - Jim Glennon went to Roscrea and choose to play for his province - Leinster.

A lot of Rockwell's Connacht players go back to the Connacht academy...

There's no hard and fast rule that Roscrea players all play for Leinster or are expected to...just because they Leinster Schools rugby

I stick by my - And!!!!
    Tynan has never played in the Munster system. Leinster have first call if they were to sign him. No guarantees especially considering he has another year of school before potentially signing for an academy.
    The sentence of mine you quote does make sense if you knew anything about the underage rugby systems.
    Exactly, sure Ian Dowling from Kilkenny played for Munster, Jerry Flannery from Limerick played for Connacht at one stage. Pro game now. Leinster will probably get first dabs on him with him playing within their system but if he is a free agent then i would doubt there would be much to stop him going to Munster if given the chance either.

Pity to lose him but i wish him all the best. Really cant blame the lad if he avails of such a big opportunity.
    All those players you name are completely different circumstances to Tynan. Leinster get first pick
    Rasputin11 wrote: »
    A fella that he hurls with on the Roscrea hurling team says Tynan's GAA days are numbered as he will shortly sign with the Leinster Academy. He'll be a loss to Tipp GAA but you couldn't begrudge him a shot at a professional sports career.
    Well he cant sign for the academy if still in school which he is AFAIK.
    What that's got to do with me?

All I said was in my opinion Munster messed up by not getting him!
    Munster haven't messed up. If you knew anything about the rugby systems you would know they havent

So Connacht players can play for Rockwell and Roscrea and go to the Connacht academy but Munster plays playing for Roscrea can only go on to play for Leinster because they play in Leinster schools?

You're talking nonsense. This is not the thread for that discussion either. You've misunderstood what I stated- got involved and dug a hole with your lack of clarity. So you're consistent with almost every post you make!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,989 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Did that fella from Kildare who threw the punch after the match get a ban yet? I see Connolly is out of the replay on Saturday.

I certainly hope so.

Didn't hear anything though.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

All stars.... Apart from callahan hard to see anyone else getting one. Bubbles looked a shoe in but was poor against Waterford and Galway. Anyone else likely to get one?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

All stars.... Apart from callahan hard to see anyone else getting one. Bubbles looked a shoe in but was poor against Waterford and Galway. Anyone else likely to get one?

Callanan a cert, Paudie 4/7 and Barrett 2/1 with PP. I'd say Barrett has a better chance than Maher despite the difference in odds. There's huge competition in the half back line and Maher was average the last day. I'd say we'll only get 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

So Connacht players can play for Rockwell and Roscrea and go to the Connacht academy but Munster plays playing for Roscrea can only go on to play for Leinster because they play in Leinster schools?

You're talking nonsense. This is not the thread for that discussion either. You've misunderstood what I stated- got involved and dug a hole with your lack of clarity. So you're consistent with almost every post you make!
    Its very unlikely Munster will have first preference. He is in the Leinster system and if Leinster don't want to sign him to an academy contract Munster may add him to their academy but they are behind Leinster who have first pick
    Im not talking nonsense. You don't have a notion of what goes on.
    I haven't misunderstood anything
    As for the potshot at me :rolleyes:

Eamon Kelly to be new Offaly manager. Will he ever be looked at as option w/ Tipp??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Callanan a cert, Paudie 4/7 and Barrett 2/1 with PP. I'd say Barrett has a better chance than Maher despite the difference in odds. There's huge competition in the half back line and Maher was average the last day. I'd say we'll only get 1.

Paudie at 4/7 is nuts. Should be 10/1. Buckley, Burke, Gleeson, De Burca, even Tannion if he has a good final are all well ahead of him.
    He only played 1 decent game in the championship.

Callanan is a cert. I thought Bubbles played well against Waterford, but the Galway display is likely to see him left out.

No chance for Paudie he was woeful against Waterford and not much better against Galway. Barrett has a decent chance, should have got one last year. Only played 2 games though.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Is it OK for a Tipp man to hope that The Cats hammer Galway on Sunday? :D

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭buggy beag

Is it OK for a Tipp man to hope that The Cats hammer Galway on Sunday?

Jesus no im a south man so il be hopeing for the reverse of your statement:)

Eh up....less of that now.....mods please step in quick and do your thing :pac: :D

"Bubbles looked a shoe in but was poor against Waterford and Galway."

Bubbles was wasn't himself against Galway - still got two points. But, to say he was poor against Waterford is madness. He was the difference in the end!

• Advertisement

I just hope the All-Ireland final is a great game - Because I can Kilkenny strangling this one early

I just hope the All-Ireland final is a great game - Because I can Kilkenny strangling this one early

Kilkenny will find the chinks that we may have missed on the day other than of course Seamies tour de force

Callanan a certainty.

Any hope that we have anyone for young hurler of the year?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,187 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Wouldn't mind seeing kilkenny win. It would mean they would be going for 3 in a row next year, a great incentive to beat them! I see Andy Comerford is saying that we cave in when the pressure comes on. Its hard to take lectures from them but has he got a point?

He's only saying what everybody else is saying. People have been saying that about Tipp since 1992 then a brief respite in 2001 then again in 2010. People have been saying it about Limerick since the 90s ...

There's more to it than that... - we don't produce enough players in a generation to win back to back All-Irelands - people say we have great players, we'll don't have enough of them to put two all-irelands back to back - that's a fact - we're not producing a strong enough squad of players over a period of time. It's a structure thing and an attitude thing. Other counties do it better - well one. Since 1989 we've won four All-Irelands. Cork and Clare have similar statistics (Clare have three).

The prominence of Football in Tipp will hurt that again. The player pool is small and the dual player at the top level is no longer possible. That's a reality and there's no sugar coating. I'm not saying Tipp should pull away from football and i'm just saying there's a price to pay for it. Ask Cork and Clare

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Lets keep this topic on topic and without personal digs folks otherwise infractions/bans will have to be doled out.

Wouldn't mind seeing kilkenny win. It would mean they would be going for 3 in a row next year, a great incentive to beat them! I see Andy Comerford is saying that we cave in when the pressure comes on. Its hard to take lectures from them but has he got a point?

I used to bump into Andy from time to time many years ago in the early noughties during his own playing days and i can tell you he wasnt the biggest fan of Tipperary in general. :pac:

He could have a point though as hard as it is to admit. We cant close out games with the exception of Waterford (who were fairly unambitious in attack).

All Tipp final at Kilmacud today. Loughmore v Borrisilleagh. Borris winners 10-7 to 5-12. Congrats to them.

He's only saying what everybody else is saying. People have been saying that about Tipp since 1992 then a brief respite in 2001 then again in 2010. People have been saying it about Limerick since the 90s ...

There's more to it than that... - we don't produce enough players in a generation to win back to back All-Irelands - people say we have great players, we'll don't have enough of them to put two all-irelands back to back - that's a fact - we're not producing a strong enough squad of players over a period of time. It's a structure thing and an attitude thing. Other counties do it better - well one. Since 1989 we've won four All-Irelands. Cork and Clare have similar statistics (Clare have three).

The prominence of Football in Tipp will hurt that again. The player pool is small and the dual player at the top level is no longer possible. That's a reality and there's no sugar coating. I'm not saying Tipp should pull away from football and i'm just saying there's a price to pay for it. Ask Cork and Clare

A fair point. I think these past few years though id be optimistic that we are finally beginning to get a good flow of players at underage. Even with those back to back minors of 06-07 that went on to claim the u21 and Liam mccarthy in 2010 we were probably depending on a core group of players. Every time you could look at the bench against Kilkennys you couldnt honestly say it was a good enough bench to win an all ireland but we are starting to get a good flow now.

From the point of view that our talented young hurlers are also our talented footballers i would agree that there has to be a tradeoff.

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement