Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2015

Options

Comments

Why should they chose as 17/18 year olds though.

The training demands on these lads are massive. Ok perhaps 21 is the age but at the same time you have many lads at a young age involved in several panels for club, county, school or college. And hurling is a game where the skills must be practised continously given the requirements to have any chance of winning. Same could be said for football

From what i hear, Colin o'riordan has a foot out the door

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

Anthony Daly and Donal OG have expressed before, because of the requirements of touch and the various different ball skills involved, you need to be choosing to perfect your craft as young as 16, going into minor. If you're playing both codes...- a decision for one needs to be made

I'd agree. It's not a total disaster to continue to play both at minor and under 21 - but you really are risking burn out and injury. Demands on the body for both are ridiculous. Because its not just playing minor for inter county at both codes - it's club, school, and colleges. And at different grades - minor, under 21, and for very talented players senior at club level and in special circumstances senior intercounty too...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Gaelic Football is becoming a very attractive game and under the right direction it will evolve into an even better spectacle.

As regards dual players, players should be encouraged to pursue the game that they enjoy most and this will nearly always be where they feel they have more natural ability.

Everything that glitters is not gold, for many the journey will be a short one, forget about achieving, concentrate on the present and the joy of playing the game will be the real reward.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Xenophile wrote: »
    Gaelic Football is becoming a very attractive game and under the right direction it will evolve into an even better spectacle.

:D you keep telling yourself that!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Xenophile

danganabu wrote: »
    :D you keep telling yourself that!

Only because it's true ! :cool:

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Advertisement

Only because it's true ! :cool:

Yep after after 131 years of evolution, football is suddenly going to become a more attractive spectacle than hurling, have a lie down there for yourself like a good lad!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,988 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Never understood why they go to the steps of the cathedral!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Site Banned Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Spirit of 67

Gaelic Football is becoming a very attractive game and under the right direction it will evolve into an even better spectacle,

The Football played by Tipp is great to watch , Bandwagoners have been telling me they are impressed and will be back for more :) . Might be different now that PC is gone !

Mid Senior Football Final on Wednesday night , Drom v Loughmore , could be a cracker !

• Advertisement

Anthony Daly and Donal OG have expressed before, because of the requirements of touch and the various different ball skills involved, you need to be choosing to perfect your craft as young as 16, going into minor. If you're playing both codes...- a decision for one needs to be made

I'd agree. It's not a total disaster to continue to play both at minor and under 21 - but you really are risking burn out and injury. Demands on the body for both are ridiculous. Because its not just playing minor for inter county at both codes - it's club, school, and colleges. And at different grades - minor, under 21, and for very talented players senior at club level and in special circumstances senior intercounty too...

No problem at Under 21 level , Football Championship is finished before the Hurley one starts !

That's hardly the point, facing into another season after one season - too much for a developed body never mind a developing body. I wonder if John Meagher, John McGrath and Liam McGrath, knowing what they know now, would put themselves through the same mill...

And, its not just a season - it's another preseason too

Colin only plays Football/trains with the County at a serious level , he doesn`t train with the Hurley Teams he is involved with , People on the Hurley Panels who I know well have told me so !

So now , once again , it`s the Footballers fault that a Hurley Championship hasn`t been won
    O'Riordan thankfully is sticking with the Football and had AFL trials again lately . He didn`t train with the Under 21 Hurley team . Can see his future being in the AFL but not for a couple of years yet .
    Yeah :rolleyes: . . . http://www.kilkennygaa.ie/news/read/id/1540

Main thing is the half that were playing Bog Bat didn`t pick any injuries ! Roll on the Football and hopefully we bring the Cup home !

Does using the above bolded crap make you feel special??

I love the way that anyone from a hurling background that says anything remotely negative about football is a disgrace and not a 'real' GAA fan, but football fans can say what they like, so much for equal treatment!

Oh and you are wrong about Colin O'Riordan and the U21 hurlers as well.

Does using the above bolded crap make you feel special??

I love the way that anyone from a hurling background that says anything remotely negative about football is a disgrace and not a 'real' GAA fan, but football fans can say what they like, so much for equal treatment!

Oh and you are wrong about Colin O'Riordan and the U21 hurlers as well.

Not at all , just don`t like thing , can`t see why people get so worked up over it , greatest sport in the world nonsense and it`s only ever taken off in a couple of Counties , if it`s so special why isn`t everyone at it . Football on the other hand is the Universal game in one form or another , your probably a Liverpool or Man U Fan ;) . I`m not a GAA Fan , never took to Scor na Nog , Handball or Rounders either , just likes the Football :) .

Someone I know really well was on the Under 21 Hurley Panel and probably will be next year told me that Colin never trained with the Under 21s !

Someone I know really well was on the Under 21 Hurley Panel and probably will be next year told me that Colin never trained with the Under 21s !

I have ignored the rest of your juvenile ramblings but on the point below I can 100% guarantee you are wrong, I was at a number of training sessions and at least 4 challenge matches, and Colin was at every one of them - at one match he was injured and was there carrying water and he also played a challenge match with the u21 hurlers less than a week before the U21 Football AI final.

Maybe your 'friend' was taking the piss as he knows you well enough!

No wonder his form dipped this year - that's a savage workload

Rest is key to excel in a sport

I have ignored the rest of your juvenile ramblings but on the point below I can 100% guarantee you are wrong, I was at a number of training sessions and at least 4 challenge matches, and Colin was at every one of them - at one match he was injured and was there carrying water and he also played a challenge match with the u21 hurlers less than a week before the U21 Football AI final.

Maybe your 'friend' was taking the piss as he knows you well enough!

No way , honest lad , wouldn`t do that :) .

As for the Juvenile rambling bit , you just find it hard to accept that Hurley is a minority Sport , and not everyone from Tipp gets excited about it !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

Is the old structure still in place in Tipperary? 4 county area boards (north, south, east, west)?

Maybe that's where change needs to start?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

As for the Juvenile rambling bit , you just find it hard to accept that Hurley is a minority Sport , and not everyone from Tipp gets excited about it !

Why do you insist on referring to it as "hurley"?

I must say I hate this apparent divide that some Tipp people insist on trying to create in the county between people who support hurling more and people who support hurling more.

We're well on the way to becoming a legitimate dual code county. We should be able to have proper discussions about the repercussions of young players like O'Riordan without turning it into an "us v them" style debate.

hinault wrote: »
    Is the old structure still in place in Tipperary? 4 county area boards (north, south, east, west)?

Yes , but there`s no East , Mid instead ! Changed needed there alright , one example , 3 areas this year have Finals in Intermediate Football as there are only 2 Teams at that level in the 3 Divisions ( Kildangan withdrew in the North ) so there is no Championship as such in the 3 areas . All 6 Clubs go straight into the County Quarter Finals . In South Tipp there`s 9 Clubs , 2 Groups , 5 and 4 , there has been a Playoff between 3 Clubs at the top of one group , Mullinahone are in the Final and are waiting on the other Semi which is gone to a second replay , you have around 25-30 games played in that Championship :rolleyes: !

• Advertisement

Why do you insist on referring to it as "hurley"?

I must say I hate this apparent divide that some Tipp people insist on trying to create in the county between people who support hurling more and people who support hurling more.

We're well on the way to becoming a legitimate dual code county. We should be able to have proper discussions about the repercussions of young players like O'Riordan without turning it into an "us v them" style debate.

What ?

Oh hurley is definitely a minority sport I for one don't know anyone that plays it, or what it is for that matter :rolleyes:

Oh hurley is definitely a minority sport I for one don't know anyone that plays it, or what it is for that matter :rolleyes:

Well it is only played seriously in a few areas of the Country and Football would be the more popular . Only one County in Connacht , Couple up North , 4-5 in Leinster !

The North fan base will grow

Alan Tynan has the makings of one the best dual players we ever had.
    Kevin O Halloran young and all as he is, is as good as any if not the best dead ball kicker in the game at present.
    Philip Austin makes a marvellous contribution and will do so for a few years yet!

Pleasantly surprised with the amount of North Tipp People at the Kerry Game . Can`t see Philly being around much longer , great Player but with the younger lads coming through I think he will be sidelined , hope I`m wrong though !

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

hinault wrote: »

North, Mid, South, West in place still yes. What would you recommend as a change?
    Keeping divisional structures in one form or another is required IMO...
    Yes, but theres no East, Mid instead! Changed needed there alright, one example, 3 areas this year have Finals in Intermediate Football as there are only 2 Teams at that level in the 3 Divisions (Kildangan withdrew in the North) so there is no Championship as such in the 3 areas. All 6 Clubs go straight into the County Quarter Finals. In South Tipp there`s 9 Clubs, 2 Groups, 5 and 4, there has been a Playoff between 3 Clubs at the top of one group, Mullinahone are in the Final and are waiting on the other Semi which is gone to a second replay, you have around 25-30 games played in that Championship :rolleyes: !
    What would you recommend as a solution if changes should be made to intermediate championship?

North, Mid, South, West in place still yes. What would you recommend as a change?
    Keeping divisional structures in one form or another is required IMO...

What would you recommend as a solution if changes should be made to intermediate championship?

I recommend that you **** off and mind your own business !

Thread is gone to the dogs lately. Im all on for difference of opinion but surely we're all a bit long in the tooth for the sniping??

Back on topic anyway, being the nerd that i am i charted the amount of all irelands won by the big 3 since the 1970s began.

Some interesting things you wouldnt really think about until you see it on print

Since and including 1972's win, Kilkenny have won a staggering 19 All irelands.
    In 1965, Tipp won number 21. Since then Kilkenny have won 21 all irelands.

Fair to say Brian Cody's unprecedented achievement of 11 all irelands (and counting) have skewed the figures but Fr Tommy Maher deserves a mention here. Fr Tommy himself trained Kilkenny to 7 all irelands between 1957 and 1975 and is credited with being the godfather of modern hurling management. To Cody himself he was a real inspiration and it is thought that Maher set the basis of Cody's training regime.

361531.JPG

Jesus, we should be hiding that!!!! That's disasterous.

Cahill is right - all hands on deck required, immediately.

• Advertisement

Jesus, we should be hiding that!!!! That's disasterous.

Cahill is right - all hands on deck required, immediately.

There comes a time where you have to face whats in front of you. The fact is that our high standards have slipped and to borrow a phrase from Donal Og, many were sleeping when Rome was burning.

Have to say im a huge fan of Liam Cahill after this summer. Michael Ryan could do alot worse then bring him in to his management team.
    Some passion, resilience and determination in him. Great time for that man.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement