Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭buggy beag

Thread is gone to the dogs lately. Im all on for difference of opinion but surely we're all a bit long in the tooth for the sniping??

Ya you know its gone bad when theres more fighting on this than on premierview:)

God gunner that does make for some pitiful reading.whole lot needs a good shake up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

Right, well let's tidy it up a bit. Let's all come to a general consensus and make a few rules. What's getting up people's noses? When does it descend into sniping? And what is causing it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Right, well let's tidy it up a bit. Let's all come to a general consensus and make a few rules. What's getting up people's noses? When does it descend into sniping? And what is causing it?

Not winning the All-Ireland.

Football v hurling,lost sheep v spirit and leinster v munster rugby haha:)

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Spirit of 67

The Nosey and not too bright Sheep for starters . The Hurley people also upset that Football is on the rise in the County and want to blame it for Hurleys demise !

buggy beag wrote: »
    Ya you know its gone bad when theres more fighting on this than on premierview:)

Christ , that Premierview is Hurley only from what I`m told , I don`t bother with it !

Christ , that Premierview is Hurley only from what I`m told , I don`t bother with it !

Sure look tipp in general is always going to be more in favour of the hurlers thats just the way it is.i think its great that football in tipp is coming along leaps and bounds.wouldnt be a massive football myself as in id watch it but wouldnt travel to matches as i can barely afford to follow the hurlers.its a pity we cant get more double headers like last year when the footballers were out before the hurlers when we played galway.i think it was sligo the footballers were playing or the time hurlers played limerick an footballers played kerry,quiet enjoyed having the football on before the hurling got the best of both worlds.for me personally, the way the game has gone, i wouldnt be in favour of the dual player.i just feel the demands are to much on young players i used to play soccer and after one match on a sunday i wudnt be able to walk for 3 days after so i dont know how these lads are playing both codes at various levels be it club,intercounty;colleges etc. The rate of burnout and serious career stopping injuries must be very high.whats the solution i dont know.its not fair for the hurling crowd to be blaming football for our woes.problems have been there for countless years.one only needs look at tipp gunners chart to see that.anyways starting to ramble here a bit.theres plenty of football threads on premierview obviously not as many as the hurling but well represented nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Well that is to be expected considering the history of the sports in the county and the success hurling has that gaelic hasnt
    Sure look tipp in general is always going to be more in favour of the hurlers thats just the way it is.i think its great that football in tipp is coming along leaps and bounds.wouldnt be a massive football myself as in id watch it but wouldnt travel to matches as i can barely afford to follow the hurlers.its a pity we cant get more double headers like last year when the footballers were out before the hurlers when we played galway.i think it was sligo the footballers were playing or the time hurlers played limerick an footballers played kerry,quiet enjoyed having the football on before the hurling got the best of both worlds.for me personally, the way the game has gone, i wouldnt be in favour of the dual player.i just feel the demands are to much on young players i used to play soccer and after one match on a sunday i wudnt be able to walk for 3 days after so i dont know how these lads are playing both codes at various levels be it club,intercounty;colleges etc. The rate of burnout and serious career stopping injuries must be very high.whats the solution i dont know.its not fair for the hurling crowd to be blaming football for our woes.problems have been there for countless years.one only needs look at tipp gunners chart to see that.anyways starting to ramble here a bit.theres plenty of football threads on premierview obviously not as many as the hurling but well represented nonetheless.
    Demands on players is a lot but players should be able to play both but if they are the number of training sessions should be cut. Coaches are expecting guys playing on multiple teams to be at nearly every session including fitness sessions etc when they just don't need to be.

Maybe, I missed something but who on the thread blamed football for the hurlers woes!!?!?! I know I expressed concern about burnout and hoped players would identify earlier what sport they want to play. Football and hurling will benefit from such an approach - as both codes can concentrate earlier on the players and develop them at greater speed...

• Advertisement

Maybe, I missed something but who on the thread blamed football for the hurlers woes!!?!?! I know I expressed concern about burnout and hoped players would identify earlier what sport they want to play. Football and hurling will benefit from such an approach - as both codes can concentrate earlier on the players and develop them at greater speed...
    What age should players, in your opinion, have to concentrate on just one sport and quit playing other sports?

I think if a player has inter-county ambitions he/she should be more focused around the 16 to 18 bracket - but, surely, the earlier the better. If you're focused on attaining your optimum level in one thing and totally focused on that - well, that can only benefit your performance in that sport.

I think if a player has inter-county ambitions he/she should be more focused around the 16 to 18 bracket - but, surely, the earlier the better. If you're focused on attaining your optimum level in one thing and totally focused on that - well, that can only benefit your performance in that sport.

Ya i think i would agree with this, especially with hurlers.the skill set needed is unbelievable and i dont think that can be achieved by playing both codes.

I would disagree and players can benefit hugely from utilising skills/attributes learned in other sports in their primary sport by continuing into early 20s even...
    Like my brother as an example kept up athletics until 19/20 and still runs a bit and it helped him into provincial rugby squads and got him to the level he's at now and if he hadn't kept it up until then he wouldn't have "made it".
    The same with a few guys whove been on tipp underage squads I know. By playing numerous sports from other team sports like rugby/soccer to individual sports like competitive swimming or whatever they've been able use attributes learned in those sports to benefit their primary sport

Demands on players is a lot but players should be able to play both but if they are the number of training sessions should be cut. Coaches are expecting guys playing on multiple teams to be at nearly every session including fitness sessions etc when they just don't need to be.

But if your lessening the sessions is the fella thats going to all the sessions only in one code will he be always further down the line than you.

There are some players like that, and I know it can work,- who've harnessed, and continue to do so, many skills. But, the overwhelming majority of players are focused on one code and benefit from that.

But burnout is a reality, the most recent and pressing example is Aidan Walsh:

Barry-Murphy and football counterpart Brian Cuthbert have agreed the player-sharing project was not workable.
    “Yeah, we tried that and came to a decision that won’t be happening next year,” said Cuthbert yesterday. “It’s up to each guy now to decide.
    “It was very disappointing to lose Aidan. He was young player of the year in 2010, an All Star twice and won an All-Ireland medal. Of our group he is one of the more experienced guys.
    “Having said that, having a guy at 50 per cent or 100 percent it is a no-brainer. We tried it. At least we tried it.
    Very difficult
    “Aidan would admit by the time he got to playing Tipperary [in the All-Ireland hurling semi-final] he was running on empty,” added Cuthbert.

But if your lessening the sessions is the fella thats going to all the sessions only in one code will he be always further down the line than you.
    Im talking about players playing multiple sports doing less of the fitness work/gym work that is seen in several of the sports. A guy playing on several teams doesn't need to be doing loads of high intensity fitness work with each team if playing multiple sports.... etc etc

[QUOTE=evolving tipperary;96925596 ]Maybe, I missed something but who on the thread blamed football for the hurlers woes!!?!?! I know I expressed concern about burnout and hoped players would identify earlier what sport they want to play. Football and hurling will benefit from such an approach - as both codes can concentrate earlier on the players and develop them at greater speed...[/QUOTE]

Dennis Reynolds , Post 2403 !

Seen it on one of the Tipp GAA Facebook Pages a while back they put up a Post saying Colin has chosen Football over Hurley , some Clown replied it`s terrible he should be made Play Hurley !

Lad I know from South Tipp told me he started a Thread on Premierview the time we won the All Ireland Minor , he got plenty of abuse of the Admin who he tells me is from Newport , ended up getting barred of the site , not that he was too bothered about that anyway :D .

Well that is to be expected considering the history of the sports in the county and the success hurling has that gaelic hasnt

Grammar Police won`t be happy !

Not too successful lately ;) !

• Advertisement

Lad I know from South Tipp told me he started a Thread on Premierview the time we won the All Ireland Minor , he got plenty of abuse of the Admin who he tells me is from Newport , ended up getting barred of the site , not that he was too bothered about that anyway .

Im not on it long and generally dont tend to stray on to the football threads but theres clowns on every forum so id believe you.tipp gunner wouldnt have good things to say about premierview either but at the minute it doesnt bother me plenty of good lads to go with the bad.

But, what about bonding with the squad - doing the exact same work as everyone else and building up trust and friendship. Teamwork. It's essential.

As I outlined in my previous post both the Cork Managers of hurling and football agreed, you can't have a guy who is only 50% there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Seen it on one of the Tipp GAA Facebook Pages a while back they put up a Post saying Colin has chosen Football over Hurley , some Clown replied it`s terrible he should be made Play Hurley !

Lad I know from South Tipp told me he started a Thread on Premierview the time we won the All Ireland Minor , he got plenty of abuse of the Admin who he tells me is from Newport , ended up getting barred of the site , not that he was too bothered about that anyway :D .
    It's hard to know which is worse the blatant patethic efforts at trolling or the fact that everything you claim is factually incorrect :rolleyes:

I think the Spirit might be getting excited at the prospect of the Footballers winning the minor then using it as a stick to beat 'Hurley', as he calls it, with.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭Paarthurnax

Looking at Tipp Gunners table from 70s to present day when you add Galway to it they have 3 All Irelands. But in the same period they are ahead of us in minor, u21, and league titles. Even though Galway haven't won an All Ireland Senior in nearly 30 years they have been more successful than Tipp since the 70s or modern era.

I'd say Limerick and Clare have been too - as have Kilkenny. Maybe, Cork?

Winning minors or under 21s is one thing but making a player into a senior player is a different challenge...

I think the Spirit might be getting excited at the prospect of the Footballers winning the minor then using it as a stick to beat 'Hurley', as he calls it, with.

Not at all and I thought you of all people would have a better understanding . Will be over the Moon if we win but if we don`t I won`t be looking at Hurley as an excuse !

danganabu wrote: »
    It's hard to know which is worse the blatant patethic efforts at trolling or the fact that everything you claim is factually incorrect :rolleyes:

Incorrect , such as ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Incorrect , such as ?

1. Colin O'Riordan doesn't train with the hurlers
    2. Coin O'Riordan choose football over hurling
    3. Hurling is a minority sport - in particular the claim that it is only taken serious in 4-5 Leinster counties was hilarious
    4. That their is no football discussion on Premierview
    5. That soemone was banned off Premierview for starting a thread about Tipp winning the minor football AI

Your chip on the shoulder is patethic and your're embarrassing yourself, I would say genuine football men like Xenophile are cringing reading your dribble.

Trolling is something that actually requires a level of intelligence and wit, I'd consider a new approach if I was you !

• Advertisement

danganabu wrote: »
    1. Colin O'Riordan doesn't train with the hurlers
    2. Coin O'Riordan choose football over hurling
    3. Hurling is a minority sport - in particular the claim that it is only taken serious in 4-5 Leinster counties was hilarious
    4. That their is no football discussion on Premierview
    5. That soemone was banned off Premierview for starting a thread about Tipp winning the minor football AI

Your chip on the shoulder is patethic and your're embarrassing yourself, I would say genuine football men like Xenophile are cringing reading your dribble.

Trolling is something that actually requires a level of intelligence and wit, I'd consider a new approach if I was you !

1. Seldom seen at training sessions with Under 21s .
    2. http://www.gaa.ie/gaa-news-and-videos/daily-news/2/2403150749-colin-oriordan-interview/
    3. Minority Sport , 1 Connacht County , Couple up North , Dublin , Laois , Offaly , Wexford , Kilkenny ...... What major force did I leave out ?
    4 and 5. Only going by what I was told , gave an example , I don`t bother with it .

Don`t have a chip , just regard Hurley as a bunch of Farmers running around after a small ball with a stick and I have always said that I don`t like it , sorry if that upsets the Hurley Fascists on here :) .

I can`t help it if you don`t like it that I don`t conform , but tough :D !

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement