Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

What the fúck is happening to this thread???

Looking at Tipp Gunners table from 70s to present day when you add Galway to it they have 3 All Irelands. But in the same period they are ahead of us in minor, u21, and league titles. Even though Galway haven't won an All Ireland Senior in nearly 30 years they have been more successful than Tipp since the 70s or modern era.

Galway have won 3 (1980, 1987 and 1988)
    Wexford (1960, 1968 and 1996)
    Clare (1995, 1997 and 2013)
    Cork have won 10 and thank god they have been disrupted since 2006 or it could have been worse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

Offaly County Board have ratified Eamonn Kelly as the county's senior hurling manager.
    The Tipperary man had been recommended for the role by a working group chaired by former Tipperary manager Liam Sheedy.
    Kelly had been in charge of Kerry for the past two seasons, leading them to Christy Ring Cup success this year, as well as promotion to Division 1B.
    He has also managed his own club, Kildangan, to an All-Ireland Intermediate title in 2005 and has been involved with various Tipperary teams, as well as the Fitzgibbon Cup team at the University of Limerick.
    Kelly replaces Brian Whelehan in the role after the former All-Ireland winner stepped down this summer.
    Sheedy and the other members of the working group are to remain on as a monitoring group to work with the management team.
    Sheedy will also act as a mentor to Kelly, according to a statement from the County Board.

Offaly County Board have ratified Eamonn Kelly as the county's senior hurling manager.
    The Tipperary man had been recommended for the role by a working group chaired by former Tipperary manager Liam Sheedy.
    Kelly had been in charge of Kerry for the past two seasons, leading them to Christy Ring Cup success this year, as well as promotion to Division 1B.
    He has also managed his own club, Kildangan, to an All-Ireland Intermediate title in 2005 and has been involved with various Tipperary teams, as well as the Fitzgibbon Cup team at the University of Limerick.
    Kelly replaces Brian Whelehan in the role after the former All-Ireland winner stepped down this summer.
    Sheedy and the other members of the working group are to remain on as a monitoring group to work with the management team.
    Sheedy will also act as a mentor to Kelly, according to a statement from the County Board.

Arguably what we should have done. Although perhaps we're being too harsh on Michael Ryan because he strikes me as the type of guy who its all duck or no dinner with him.

I would disagree and players can benefit hugely from utilising skills/attributes learned in other sports in their primary sport by continuing into early 20s even...
    Like my brother as an example kept up athletics until 19/20 and still runs a bit and it helped him into provincial rugby squads and got him to the level he's at now and if he hadn't kept it up until then he wouldn't have "made it".
    The same with a few guys whove been on tipp underage squads I know. By playing numerous sports from other team sports like rugby/soccer to individual sports like competitive swimming or whatever they've been able use attributes learned in those sports to benefit their primary sport

I see your point re transferable skills, but for me hurling is a craft. Football is also. Now you can be the jack of all trades but in order to be a Richie Hogan or a Bernard Brogan you need to practice practice and some more practice

• Advertisement

Bit of lighthearted stuff to take attention from the nonsense

https://www.facebook.com/BuckleysBeard

Fair play young Buckley :) Great young ambassador.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

GerB40 wrote: »
    What the fúck is happening to this thread???

A troll is being fed....

• Site Banned Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Spirit of 67

digzy wrote: »
    A troll is being fed....

Reckon I knocked the smirk of his face with that last Post , number 2 in particular ;) !

Look lads can we not just agree to disagree at this stage. One of you prefer football and the others prefer hurling. The phrase two bald men fighting over a comb spring to mind.

Tragic thing is that the posters involved have actually offered some great individual posts over the years.

Find a common ground here and move on folks. To quote Mark Twain,

"Never argue with a fool as onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.”

Offaly need more then Eamon Kelly. They need to restructure from the ground up. Kelly will only face the same issues as his predecessors before him

• Advertisement

I agree. If they've any sense, they'll have the 'committee' look at every structure and act on recommendations.

Sheedy as Mentor?

Sheedy as Mentor?

I suppose Sheedy would be well drilled in terms of what top teams require having in terms of preparation considering he was the manager of a team who beat arguably the greatest setup of all time who were chasing 5 in a row.

Be interesting to see what kind of backroom team Michael Ryan compiles, will it be the razzle dazzle bells and whistles Dublin type of thing or will he go for something simpler. Will he keep the link to ast players in terms of selectors, maybe Cummins or Kelly. Or, will he look for something different? Will he have a hurling coach... will he have a psychologist? And, Michael, if you're going to get a guy in like O'Shea did with MCGeeney, at least get in one of the Kerry O'Sheas who have a lot more medals!!!!

Be interesting to see what kind of backroom team Michael Ryan compiles, will it be the razzle dazzle bells and whistles Dublin type of thing or will he go for something simpler. Will he keep the link to ast players in terms of selectors, maybe Cummins or Kelly. Or, will he look for something different? Will he have a hurling coach... will he have a psychologist? And, Michael, if you're going to get a guy in like O'Shea did with MCGeeney, at least get in one of the Kerry O'Sheas who have a lot more medals!!!!

Your harsh on McGeeney first of all who is a great competitor. If Bubbles shot went the other direction would McGeeney have been such an issue then? Personally id be having a word with Caroline Currid. A womans touch might be just the thing for our mindset.

Secondly id imagine Fanning and Curran will stay on with MR which is a positive if you ask me. I think Paudie O'Neill who originally joined with Eamon might walk away from the setup alright although id imagine there is a space there if he wants it. If he doesnt then i would consider Liam Cahill or Fethard Mick Ryan for the vacant spot although it could get confusing if two Mick Ryans are involved at management. We'll have to come up with nicknames :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,988 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

O'Riordan off to the AFL it seems.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

I'm not being harsh on McGeeney at all. It was just joke. But, Kieran has only one All-Ireland - most of the squad had that and more when he joined...so...

Nobody said McGeeney was an issue in terms of losing the All-Ireland.

Personally, I think we should chase up someone who has done it for advise. Martin Fogarty would be the man i'd ask to coach or come in as a selector.

Or a fresh voice with new ideas on the game....Cheddar Plunkett

If Tipp football people have any money in the coffers they'd want to start dusting it off or get on to any sponsors and try and organise something to get this man to stay - a huge HUGE step back for tipp ball...:

Tipperary dual-star Colin O'Riordan could be on his way to Australia after being asked to attend the Australian Football League Draft Combine in Melbourne next month.
    O'Riordan, an All-Ireland minor winner in both hurling and football, represented the Premier County at U-21 and senior level in the big-ball code this year and at U-21 in hurling.

"It's a once in a lifetime opportunity and I couldn't say no to doing something that I love for a living. I would absolutely jump at the chance," the 19-year-old told the Irish Independent.
    "When you wake in the morning you want to be going to do something you love, and it's the ultimate dream to be a professional sportsman and get paid to play."
    O'Riordan will be joined by Kilkenny's Darragh Joyce, who captained the Cats to minor success in 2014.
    Despite the likes of Dublin's Ciaran Kilkenny returning home after brief experiences with the AFL, JK Brackens club man O'Riordan says that he's willing to contemplate the prospect of a long-term career Down Under.
    "Of course you're going to miss home but you only get this opportunity once. You'd have to go out there with the attitude that you're setting up for life over there and this is where your future lies," he said.
    "If you think you're going to give it a go for two years then you're inevitably going to fail."
    Ireland will face Australia in the International Rules series at Croke Park on 21 November. The cross-code competition will comprise a single Test for the second year in succession.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

I see your point re transferable skills, but for me hurling is a craft. Football is also. Now you can be the jack of all trades but in order to be a Richie Hogan or a Bernard Brogan you need to practice practice and some more practice
    I don't see football being anywhere near the "craft" hurling is. Transferable skills is a big thing...
    I didn't say anything about being a jack of all trades. By playing other sports it widens your skills base and can improve your primary sport...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,988 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I don't see football being anywhere near the "craft" hurling is. Transferable skills is a big thing...
    I didn't say anything about being a jack of all trades. By playing other sports it widens your skills base and can improve your primary sport...

This is the problem with places like clonmel, Carrick, tipp town, cahir in my opinion. I'm sure there's plenty of players playing hurling in these places but most are probably playing another sport like soccer, football or rugby hence why they rarely if ever produce hurlers who play at the top level.

If you think you can play top level hurling while spending half your time training for soccer it's just not going to happen for 95% of players.

Tl:dr need serious dedication to reach the top.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

I'm not being harsh on McGeeney at all. It was just joke. But, Kieran has only one All-Ireland - most of the squad had that and more when he joined...so...

Nobody said McGeeney was an issue in terms of losing the All-Ireland.

Personally, I think we should chase up someone who has done it for advise. Martin Fogarty would be the man i'd ask to coach or come in as a selector.

Or a fresh voice with new ideas on the game....Cheddar Plunkett

Hell would freeze over before Martin Fogarty would even consider it for a flicker of a second

How do you know that?

• Site Banned Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Spirit of 67

O'Riordan off to the AFL it seems.

Was always going to go , is why he chose Football over Hurley this year ! Was hoping he would leave it for a couple of years however best of luck to him , Professional Sport , getting up everyday and doing something you live for . On the plus side he will want come back and want to win things with Tipp down the line , the conditioning and professional training will give him even more of an edge !

Interestingly , a Kilkenny Lad , Darragh Joyce is considering heading to Oz as well to play Aussie Rules , and I was told on here recently they don`t do Football in Kilkenny ;) !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

Spirit, any chance you could call it the correct name of hurling instead of hurley.
    It's not a big thing but it's bugging the hell out of me and feels like you're just trying to antagonise hurling supporters somewhat.

How do you know that?

The very fact that he is a proud Kilkenny man would be a big indicator. Whatever about a Cork man crossing the divide there is absolutely no way whatsoever a Kilkenny man would involved in a Tipperary intercounty senior management (or even underage) setup and possibly plot his own county's downfall. He would be castigated up and down his own county for doing so. Look at the abuse hat a player Denis Byrne received and some of it from his own former Graigue-Ballycallan teammates back in 2003.

Dont get me wrong its nowhere near the level craft but at the same time i doubt that it is that simple to be as good as bernard brogan, james o'donoghue or the gooch if you are dividing your time between hurling and football at intercounty level. Likewise, you wont have the stickwork of a Hogan or Bubbles if you are dividing your time with football.

At the very top level it cant be done. The penny dropped for Cork some time back.

Was always going to go , is why he chose Football over Hurley this year ! Was hoping he would leave it for a couple of years however best of luck to him , Professional Sport , getting up everyday and doing something you live for . On the plus side he will want come back and want to win things with Tipp down the line , the conditioning and professional training will give him even more of an edge !

Interestingly , a Kilkenny Lad , Darragh Joyce is considering heading to Oz as well to play Aussie Rules , and I was told on here recently they don`t do Football in Kilkenny ;) !

Joyce along with Walter Walsh some years back would have attended Good Counsel in New Ross which is a very good football school.

Their star player this year was a chap called Thomas o'connor from Tullogher-Rosbercon (Walter country) who has signed for Southampton recently. There is definately some excellent footballers in Kilkenny but in terms of being ambitious enough to form a competitive side the interest just isnt there because fears are that it would be at the expense of the hurling and looking at the dual player issue i see their point tbh

Good choice of club - they know how to develop players there. Very successful at it

• Advertisement

There's only one way to find out! If Byrne can play, Fogarty can manage. Playing would be a much bigger 'crime'. The abuse wasn't that bad! It's not soccer! Yet, Fogarty might think this might be might last chance to be involved in a prominent senior set up with a chance of glory. He always wanted to manage KK but that chance is slipping away from him...Involved with Westmeath at the moment...

But, at the very least, someone like that should be asked to look at our underage structures...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement