Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Xenophile wrote: »
    Not if, but after we beat Kerry on Sunday..................the homecoming celebrations should be held in Thurles, I hope these gallant young men get a better welcome home than our Minor Champions got in 2011.

I am sure they will, as football is now being played at a high standard right throughout the county!

Looks like the "celebrations" location won't be a problem this year....

Completely outclassed today unfortunately. Best thing now is to give all the subs a run....tbh most of these lads won't ever play in croke park again..

Amazing what a top top coach can do. Thanks to Charlie for his valiant efforts but in terms of comparing him or anyone else within the county to the likes of Jack O'Connor, we're third world really. Super job in getting to both finals but we've reached that crossroads where hurling and football have to be segregated if we are to have success

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Amazing what a top top coach can do. Thanks to Charlie for his valiant efforts but in terms of comparing him or anyone else within the county to the likes of Jack O'Connor, we're third world really. Super job in getting to both finals but we've reached that crossroads where hurling and football have to be segregated if we are to have success
    How do you propose segregating them?
    Where/when do players choose?
    Football will always or virtually always lose out and then football resources will deplete etc etc
    I don't we should be looking to segregate now.

How do you propose segregating them?
    Where/when do players choose?
    Football will always or virtually always lose out and then football resources will deplete etc etc
    I don't we should be looking to segregate now.

Prior to u21 or ideally 3rd year minor. This is where the grown ups need to give the kids a shove in the right direction and tell them where their strengths lie.

Look at that number 8 for kerry today. Would he have half the impact if he was hurling 50% of the time for the county?

Prior to u21 or ideally 3rd year minor. This is where the grown ups need to give the kids a shove in the right direction and tell them where their strengths lie.

Look at that number 8 for kerry today. Would he have half the impact if he was hurling 50% of the time for the county?
    I disagree. They are youngsters, still in college/university and able to play both. They can still play both and its how they are managed and coached which is the issue. With good cooperation between all coaches of the teams a player is involved in they should be able to play both if they want to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,988 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I disagree. They are youngsters, still in college/university and able to play both. They can still play both and its how they are managed and coached which is the issue. With good cooperation between all coaches of the teams a player is involved in they should be able to play both if they want to.

Yep, they can easily play both that's not the problem, it's winning all Irelands that's the problem. Can't think of any modern day player who's top of their game in both codes. Along as players are playing both codes we can expect results like today.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

".tbh most of these lads won't ever play in croke park again.."

What's the point of stating this?

Yep, they can easily play both that's not the problem, it's winning all Irelands that's the problem. Can't think of any modern day player who's top of their game in both codes. Along as players are playing both codes we can expect results like today.
    We shouldn't deny either side their better players if it can be managed that those said players can play both with cooperation from coaching teams of all sides they are involved in...

".tbh most of these lads won't ever play in croke park again.."

What's the point of stating this?

Why. do you think they will?

We shouldn't deny either side their better players if it can be managed that those said players can play both with cooperation from coaching teams of all sides they are involved in...

You can have all of the cooperation in the world and it wont make a difference. Cork are an example of this. They had a former Cork football and hurling legend JBM over their senior hurlers and accomodated lads as best they could but fact remained the modern game involves far too much dedication and time for dual players to excel. The days of Teddy McCarthy are long gone. If you lose one game you are still involved in the championship in each code unlike back in 1990. Then you have more demanding compressed league campaigns and preseason campaigns. Ive no doubt that with the correct coaching structures we can surely have competitive teams in both in the future.

Like two weeks ago im not going to be too hard on the minors because they are merely boys who done the very best they could today and its not Charlie Mckeevers fault either that he doesnt have the experience of Jack O'Connor because either does Davy Power, or Tommy Twomey or Peter Creedon, or John Evans or any other Tipperary manager of recent times. Thats why im advocating new ideas and new impetus into our management. To catch a thief you must hire one perhaps

• Advertisement

On top of everything the dual issue risks burnout. You have young minor involved in at least 2 county panels, 2 college/school panels and possibly 4 club panels....absolute lunacy

You can have all of the cooperation in the world and it wont make a difference. Cork are an example of this. They had a former Cork football and hurling legend JBM over their senior hurlers and accomodated lads as best they could but fact remained the modern game involves far too much dedication and time for dual players to excel. The days of Teddy McCarthy are long gone. If you lose one game you are still involved in the championship in each code unlike back in 1990. Then you have more demanding compressed league campaigns and preseason campaigns. Ive no doubt that with the correct coaching structures we can surely have competitive teams in both in the future.

Like two weeks ago im not going to be too hard on the minors because they are merely boys who done the very best they could today and its not Charlie Mckeevers fault either that he doesnt have the experience of Jack O'Connor because either does Davy Power, or Tommy Twomey or Peter Creedon, or John Evans or any other Tipperary manager of recent times. Thats why im advocating new ideas and new impetus into our management. To catch a thief you must hire one perhaps
    It can make a difference. Co-operation between coaches makes a huge difference especially in regard to similar style of training needed for all sports that multi sport athletes don't need to do.
    On top of everything the dual issue risks burnout. You have young minor involved in at least 2 county squads, 2 college/school squads and possibly 4 club squads....absolute lunacy
    Should they be allowed/made play with all those squads? Should a guy on county minor be allowed cut back on some of what he plays at club/college/school to cut back on what he does to protect him from injury etc??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭QuinDixie

I feel sorry for those guys today. What an achievement to reach both minor finals.
    But these players were failed by the CB, dual minors, U21's and seniors are pointless and are actually holding back players from achieving their best.
    Pity, but Tipp are too small a county, as shown by the amount of dual players this year, to excel at 2 codes, 1 will always be in the shadow. Thats life and will never change.

It's pointless what I think...that's not the point I'm making. Why would you state something like that? Seems like a barb... - I think it's disrespectful.

Most players on minor squads and teams don't play senior... - 6 or 7 of these lads might and might make it to Croker! They have as good a chance as any...

It's a particularly talented bunch of players - only beaten by the champions twice. An outstanding Kerry outfit.

It's pointless what I think...that's not the point I'm making. Why would you state something like that? Seems like a barb... - I think it's disrespectful.

Most players on minor squads and teams don't play senior... - 6 or 7 of these lads might and might make it to Croker! They have as good a chance as any...

It's a particularly talented bunch of players - only beaten by the champions twice. An outstanding Kerry outfit.

That Kerry team were as fluid as any senior team I've ever seen. But with jack o Connor at the helm I'm not surprised

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭robbiezero

That Kerry team were as fluid as any senior team I've ever seen. But with jack o Connor at the helm I'm not surprised

They were just a machine out there. So well organized and hardly made a mistake all day. Dominated the middle of the park, both catching cleanly and on breaks. We really needed to try some short kickout strategy, but nothing would have made much difference anyway. They were a class apart today.

Another point that links to the other debate on the thread at the moment, is that a number of these players are dual stars. They possess talent as athletes that would allow them to succeed at most sports. Hence, they've brought the tipp minors to two finals. Now, if you think that getting to two finals is not tiring or that it does not affect your ability to fulfil your potential in one then you're misguided...

If all of the duals stars focused on one sport - I think both finals would have been a hell of a lot closer...- i think we might have won the hurling as the gap in talent was not as big

It's a reasonable projection..
    Maybe if you read the post instead of looking for a barney you'd see my point was that the game was well and truly over so I felt mgmt ought to empty the bench and give the lads who put in the work all year an opportunity to play in an all Ireland final in the national stadium. A chance the vast majority won't get again. Tbf he actually gave many of them a good run.

Most of the hurling minor team won't play in croker again either. Same applies for the Galway and Kilkenny minor hurlers.However, given that tipp is a hurling stronghold -despite the illusions some posters seem to be under - they've a better chance by nature of playing for strong clubs to appear in a club final and by nature that if they can make the senior team, they'd feature in croke park at least once a year in general.

Some of ye seem to think our footballers are knocking on the door. Even if half the minor team made it on to senior, can you really see us making an appearance in an all Ireland quarter final in croke park within the next 5-10 years? Tbf we were absolutely destroyed by Tyrone this year, Kerry were miles better.maybe you missed those games. Now I'm not "disrespecting" them by saying what actually happened nor am I having a go at them for not being good enough. But it's hard to defend that 2nd half showing against Tyrone.
    We were poor against Galway last year but for a few lucky goals towards the endwhich gave the score line some modicum of respectability.

So you needn't be getting offended on behalf of the football team for some slight I didn't say. If you wanna cod yourself into thinking tipp are contenders for the last 8 in the all Ireland fair enough....

And while I'm at it.....
    If you're looking for 'disrespect', look at the lad trolling here, on a GAA thread for the third most successful hurling county who keeps using the term 'hurley' to describe the sport:rolleyes:

But sure that's ok......

I'll look fwd with trepidation to your next 'copy and paste' ;)

Well, It was easy to make that mistake as it was so poorly written.

I did ask you to clarify....and you failed to do so. Until now...

It was you was trolling. I've expressed my views on the 'hurley' - i get on okay with the poster, he's not a bad lad.

You're the one calling yourself "DIGsy"!!!!

Then you have a pointless and useless dig about copy and pasting! Lie down! You've already stated that a few pages back and I didn't bite. But, you seem to want to bring it up again...good man! You're great altogether!

Tipp footballers are building something through improving their structures and underage teams. Fair play to them. They've a change over time if they keep that up - might take ten years but if they keep it up, it will happen.

I've also argued for a more controlled division of talent in the county. But, you seem to have a one eyed bee in your bonnet about my posts for some reason!

• Advertisement

Well, It was easy to make that mistake as it was so poorly written.

I did ask you to clarify....and you failed to do so. Until now...

It was you was trolling. I've expressed my views on the 'hurley' - i get on okay with the poster, he's not a bad lad.

You're the one calling yourself "DIGsy"!!!!

Then you have a pointless and useless dig about copy and pasting! Lie down! You've already stated that a few pages back and I didn't bite. But, you seem to want to bring it up again...good man! You're great altogether!

Tipp footballers are building something through improving their structures and underage teams. Fair play to them. They've a change over time if they keep that up - might take ten years but if they keep it up, it will happen.

I've also argued for a more controlled division of talent in the county. But, you seem to have a one eyed bee in your bonnet about my posts for some reason!

There's so much rubbish within that post it's laughable.

Firstly, the 'offending' material was actually in the same bloody sentence :rolleyes:

Secondly, you didn't ask me to clarify anything..maybe you can copy/paste where you did if I'm incorrect....possibly was poorly written!

Thirdly, I'm glad for you that you get on OK with an anonymous internet poster on a chat forum.

Fourthly, I'm sorry my random 'not my real name' username offends you.

Fifthly, where was I 'trolling'? You might copy/paste that one too. It's pretty clear what I said re returning to croker for our minor footballers was a reasonable projection.

And finally.........I actually don't have a bee in my bonnet about your posts. I've a few other worries in life than anonymous internet chat forum posters, trust me.You're the one who started calling me out for 'disrespecting' the team which I didn't do. They're some team to make it that far against an outstanding Kerry team. I sincerely hope I'm wrong about the appearance of our football teams in croke park in future.

Bets of luck with the oul life there, squire! I'm not getting pulled in any further!

They had their homework done! That's for sure - knew what players on the Tipp team to give up possession to and targeted layers to minimise their space. It's what Kilkenny do in the hurling. The players knew exactly what their job was everytime in possession. It was so clinical.

Who would you give man of the match to?

O'Connor is a legend. He's produced some fine football from that outfit. What a director of gaelic football he'd make somewhere!

Bets of luck with the oul life there, squire! I'm not getting pulled in any further!

Yeah, off ya go. Pick a barney with someone else next time

digzy wrote: »
    Yeah, off ya go. Pick a barney with someone else next time
    digzy wrote: »
    There's so much rubbish within that post it's laughable.

Firstly, the 'offending' material was actually in the same bloody sentence :rolleyes:

Secondly, you didn't ask me to clarify anything..maybe you can copy/paste where you did if I'm incorrect....possibly was poorly written!

Thirdly, I'm glad for you that you get on OK with an anonymous internet poster on a chat forum.

Fourthly, I'm sorry my random 'not my real name' username offends you.

Fifthly, where was I 'trolling'? You might copy/paste that one too. It's pretty clear what I said re returning to croker for our minor footballers was a reasonable projection.

And finally.........I actually don't have a bee in my bonnet about your posts. I've a few other worries in life than anonymous internet chat forum posters, trust me.You're the one who started calling me out for 'disrespecting' the team which I didn't do. They're some team to make it that far against an outstanding Kerry team. I sincerely hope I'm wrong about the appearance of our football teams in croke park in future.

The bickering here in recent times has been quite simply outrageous. By all means attack the post but not the poster. In a weekend where Eddie Connolly tragically lost his fight for life i would hope that some of you might have some perspective.

Well, I'm not getting sucked into it anymore! What did you think of O'Connor's defensive formation? The way that Kerry tea could move out of defence was frightening?

Did we lack pace?

Well, I'm not getting sucked into it anymore! What did you think of O'Connor's defensive formation? The way that Kerry tea could move out of defence was frightening?

Did we lack pace?

We were stuck to the ground whereas Kerry were seemingly on hover boards. Their communication and understanding of each other and the way they knew where every one was located was tremendous.

Not to be too hard on Mcgeever but after the fifth time Charlie Manton kicked the ball straight at the number 8, Mcgeever was chewing a biro and smiling. He had no idea how to counter combat Kerry. As i previously said many Tipp coaches wouldnt either

QuinDixie wrote: »
    I feel sorry for those guys today. What an achievement to reach both minor finals.
    But these players were failed by the CB, dual minors, U21's and seniors are pointless and are actually holding back players from achieving their best.
    Pity, but Tipp are too small a county, as shown by the amount of dual players this year, to excel at 2 codes, 1 will always be in the shadow. Thats life and will never change.

We're a county of 160k people, while i havent broken the demographics up, surely we can put a a good football and hurling setup together? As you might have alluded to, we are at the mercy of the county boards in this country. They seem to ultimately decide who excels at what

• Advertisement

The bickering here in recent times has been quite simply outrageous. By all means attack the post but not the poster. In a weekend where Eddie Connolly tragically lost his fight for life i would hope that some of you might have some perspective.

Are you seriously suggesting that a few posts here -a barney about nothing at all given someone's inability to read and take offence where none was given and definitely not intended-are in some way inappropriate or disrespectful given that they coincide with eddie's death. I'd dare say cancer has touched most of our families. My own at very close quarters.

Jaysus.....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement