Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2015

Options

Comments

Jeez howd he manage it? :eek:

Hard luck to Clonakenny who lost by a point. Golden lost their JFC game also.

Best of luck Sars and Commercials on Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭buggy beag

Ya seen the pic.mad injury to get and i think he had to sleep with it on his arm until the next morning before they could operate.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,724 ✭✭✭shmeee

Gonna be an emotional day on and off the field for Thurles Sarsfielfs on Sunday, hopefully they can pull throw and do it. The loss of Jackie will be the driving force, they won't let him down I feel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

I don't know how he managed it - but, I hope it never happens to anyone again. Horrible!

• Advertisement

Ciaran McDonald named on the Compromise rules International squad =

[font=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica]http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2015/1111/741108-international-rules/[/font]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Paddico

Ciaran McDonald named on the Compromise rules International squad =

[font=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica]http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2015/1111/741108-international-rules/[/font]

Congrats to Ciaran

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Paddico

County Board need to get these things right.

From the Irish Indo
    "Clonmel fury over Tipp call to fix minor final"

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/clonmel-fury-over-tipp-call-to-fix-minor-final-34189047.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Paddico wrote: »
    County Board need to get these things right.

From the Irish Indo
    "Clonmel fury over Tipp call to fix minor final"

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/clonmel-fury-over-tipp-call-to-fix-minor-final-34189047.html

Nothing to do with the county board at all and Commercials should have done their homework before running to the national press!!

St. Mary's requested the match be played this Saturday as did Kildangan, county board merely facilitated the two participating clubs.

danganabu wrote: »
    Nothing to do with the county board at all and Commercials should have done their homework before running to the national press!!

St. Mary's requested the match be played this Saturday as did Kildangan, county board merely facilitated the two participating clubs.

Each club is as selfish as the other. If things were opposite way round and St Marys were playing on the Sunday id guarantee Commercials wouldnt give a fúck about the young lads either.

The county board needs to be bigger and intervene here though. We're talking about player welfare and burnout. 2 massive games for each respective club. They deserve the bit of extra time and preparation but of course the players get lost in the madness that is the delegates of a board room and are mere missiles in a war of attrition.

We've had ridiculous situations all over Ireland recently where clubs are playing on a Saturday and Sunday. Take Stradbally of Waterford last week who won the county final on Friday night and 'only' had to play none other than Nemo Rangers the following night.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

The county board needs to be bigger and intervene here though. We're talking about player welfare and burnout. 2 massive games for each respective club. They deserve the bit of extra time and preparation but of course the players get lost in the madness that is the delegates of a board room and are mere missiles in a war of attrition

Not as simple as that gunner, the reason Mary's want to play it this weekend is that they are still in the South U21 Hurling so they are going to have to have a double weekend either this weekend or next.

Have it this weekend and two players are affected, two players that didn't start the last Commercials game I might add, and only one made a substitute appearance. However if they have a double hurling weekend there are 8 players affected.

Some interesting comments from Declan Fanning here:

http://www.the42.ie/declan-fanning-eamon-oshea-tipperary-2437965-Nov2015/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭1eg0a3xv7b82of

no all irelands in the next ten years for tipp so.

I was never a big fan of oshea, 2014 is down to him 100% and thats not a compliment.
    I have heard the players and ex players say stuff like Fanning is saying in that link, you would swear OShea was the second coming of Babs and he was leaving after winning 2 all irelands.
    Tipp under Declan Ryan and EOS are identical, just not good enough to beat kilkenny.

Declan ryan gets no thanks from the players, EOS gets great credit, Why?

My main issue with EOS is that he was big into giving the players 'ownership', basically meaning certain players pick the team and tactics.

For tipp to win an All Ireland in 2016, M Ryan needs to improve the midfield and the centre forward line.
    To do so he will have to take back 'ownership' of the team from certain players, considering the players had a say in him getting the job, I think we can look forward to another year of failure.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

no all irelands in the next ten years for tipp so.

I was never a big fan of oshea, 2014 is down to him 100% and thats not a compliment.
    I have heard the players and ex players say stuff like Fanning is saying in that link, you would swear OShea was the second coming of Babs and he was leaving after winning 2 all irelands.
    Tipp under Declan Ryan and EOS are identical, just not good enough to beat kilkenny.

Declan ryan gets no thanks from the players, EOS gets great credit, Why?

My main issue with EOS is that he was big into giving the players 'ownership', basically meaning certain players pick the team and tactics.

For tipp to win an All Ireland in 2016, M Ryan needs to improve the midfield and the centre forward line.
    To do so he will have to take back 'ownership' of the team from certain players, considering the players had a say in him getting the job, I think we can look forward to another year of failure.
    Is not being good enough to beat Kilkenny such a bad thing that we have to go OTT on the coach?
    I don't think you understand what giving players ownership means if you think it means some players picking the team/tactics. Yes it means giving players more responsibility but not what you are trying to say it does at all....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,988 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Conor o mahony has announced his retirement!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

O'Mahony retires. Best of luck Conor and thanks for your dedication
    http://m.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2015/1113/741641-conor-omahony/

We are not entering the waterford cyrstal cup this year.probably better off id say.

buggy beag wrote: »
    We are not entering the waterford cyrstal cup this year.probably better off id say.
    Why are we not entering and how are we better off not playing in it?

Is not being good enough to beat Kilkenny such a bad thing that we have to go OTT on the coach?
    I don't think you understand what giving players ownership means if you think it means some players picking the team/tactics. Yes it means giving players more responsibility but not what you are trying to say it does at all....

How is going it OTT on the coach by stating the facts.
    What is going OTT is declan fanning et al giving interviews where they build up EOS legacy to tipp hurling. What legacy?

Why are we not entering and how are we better off not playing in it?

Dunno michael ryan said that were not entering this year.that we are going to be organising friendlies instead.i think thats the better option because i go to all the waterford cyrstal cup games and most are a waste of time.playing some college teams you learn absolutely nothing.most are dead rubber games and no preparation for the league.better off playing friendlies v the likes of wexford or offaly or whoever us availble.just my humble opinion.

• Advertisement

How is going it OTT on the coach by stating the facts.
    What is going OTT is declan fanning et al giving interviews where they build up EOS legacy to tipp hurling. What legacy?
    What are the facts you stated? You went on about saying players picked the team/tactics and not the coaches. That is as far from a fact as you can get. EOS gets credit as he was progressive unlike Ryan. We were not identical under Ryan and EOS.
    Dunno michael ryan said that were not entering this year.that we are going to be organising friendlies instead.i think thats the better option because i go to all the waterford cyrstal cup games and most are a waste of time.playing some college teams you learn absolutely nothing.most are dead rubber games and no preparation for the league.better off playing friendlies v the likes of wexford or offaly or whoever us availble.just my humble opinion.
    I don't see how simply organising friendlies is better. How are w crystal more of a waste of time over friendlies? The coaches can learn plenty from w crystal and certainly more than completely meaningless friendlies. How are friendlies better than actual competitive games even if they are against college teams

What are the facts you stated? You went on about saying players picked the team/tactics and not the coaches. That is as far from a fact as you can get. EOS gets credit as he was progressive unlike Ryan. We were not identical under Ryan and EOS.

I don't see how simply organising friendlies is better. How are w crystal more of a waste of time over friendlies? The coaches can learn plenty from w crystal and certainly more than completely meaningless friendlies. How are friendlies better than actual competitive games even if they are against college teams

The only difference between DR and EOS is one munster title.
    I call that regression.

EOS was big into player leadership, the big problem with that is how do you change a team/squad if you have encouraged a parity between management and a core group of players that are not performing.
    Its a management model that does not work.

Because theres plenty of meaningless games against poor understrength college teams as well so if were going to have meaningless games id rather them against other county teams like wexford,galway,dublin etc.

The only difference between DR and EOS is one munster title.
    I call that regression.

EOS was big into player leadership, the big problem with that is how do you change a team/squad if you have encouraged a parity between management and a core group of players that are not performing.
    Its a management model that does not work.
    That is a very black and white way to look at things and that isn't regression either. Players having leadership in what they do on the pitch and how they act doesn't mean there is total parity between the players and management.
    Because theres plenty of meaningless games against poor understrength college teams as well so if were going to have meaningless games id rather them against other county teams like wexford,galway,dublin etc.
    So meaningless games against understrength county sides in its place? College sides will be aiming to peak for Fitzgibbon in the Spring so will be better opposition than county sides aiming to peak for much later in the year

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

You'd know it's silly season when fellas ard rowing over the Waterford crystal cup:rolleyes:

God knows how the season develops but I guarantee our participation in this tournament won't have any effect on where we end up next summer.

I'm still gutted after last season. That Galway game bar seamie callanan was woeful. We're a seriously inconsistent side- one of the issues I hope mick ryan can get to grips with. I've lost faith in that teams ability to front up when it's back to the wall time. There's a number of lads that need serious guidance/instruction. Paudie mahers loose play being tolerated year after year is case in point.

Regarding Declan Ryan's time, we did ok but he had to go after the nature of the hammering the cats dished out. I don't know anyone to give me the 'inside track' from the players but I think he gets a hard time of it. Being honest, did eos really do much better than him? I dunno....

That is a very black and white way to look at things and that isn't regression either. Players having leadership in what they do on the pitch and how they act doesn't mean there is total parity between the players and management.

So meaningless games against understrength county sides in its place? College sides will be aiming to peak for Fitzgibbon in the Spring so will be better opposition than county sides aiming to peak for much later in the year

DR won 2 munsters, EOS one.
    Tipp have the players, what they are lacking is direction.
    Michael Ryan needs to make tipp the fittest, strongest team in the country and he needs to bring some dogs into the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Tipp have the players, what they are lacking is direction.

I'm seriously doubting that.

James Woodlock has retired at 29

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

James Woodlock has retired at 29

His work rate will be sorely missed.
    Limited hurling ability but he had the attitude and desire that players at this level need. He also came back from a gruesome leg injury which is even more credit to him
    Best of luck to him in his future

• Advertisement

Th grapevine is saying that Lar, Shane Mac, and Gleeson are going next - that could be just gossip though.

I'd be surprised if Gleeson went after waiting so long to get his chance

That said someone from Borrisoleigh told me that Woodie was retiring last week - thought it was nonsense

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement