Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sennheiser HD650 or.......?

• 27-12-2014 5:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭

I'm seriously considering a pair of Sennheiser HD650 phones.

I've also tried the Bowers and Wilkins P7 phones - they're incredible.

But, the HD650s can be bought here for €322. http://www.thomann.de/ie/sennheiser_hd650_hifi_kopfhoerer.htm

The B&W are beautiful and better built, but a bit more expensive and the HD650 seem to fare better in reviews.

All comments welcome.

Thanks.

D.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭baalad

Good buy for just over 300 imo. I paid 700 for the he500s and yeah they are great but all your getting for that extra 400 quid is subtle enhancements.You may need to invest in an amp to drive them to they're potential though so that's something to keep in mind aswell as that adds to the cost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Cheers.

I tried them and the B&W P7 phones on my iPhone. Like having the entire orchestra inside you head!

The steel and leather of the P7s is very sexy, and at €77 more, I am tempted. Also, I like to shop local - if Cloney reduced them (the P7) I'd probably buy them instead.

Thanks again.

D.

Dinarius wrote: »
    Cheers.

I tried them and the B&W P7 phones on my iPhone. Like having the entire orchestra inside you head!

The steel and leather of the P7s is very sexy, and at €77 more, I am tempted. Also, I like to shop local - if Cloney reduced them (the P7) I'd probably buy them instead.

Thanks again.

D.

Are they closed back? Because the 650s are not. They are open back which i personally prefer but open backs may not be suited to you depending on your listening environment. They leak sound so ideally they are used for private listening on your own with nobody else around. Otherwise you might be best to opt for closed backs. Closed backs generally have better bass then open backs but open backs have wider soundstage and give the listener a more natural listening experience.

Yes, B&W are closed up to a point. Slight leakage. This has been picked up on in reviews. If you're after totally closed, then they're a non-runner.

I'd be using them while working (I'm a photographer) and commuting.

Thanks.

D.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Spending €300+ on head phones to be used to listen to mp3s on an iPhone sounds like lunacy to me.

• Advertisement

As far as I can gather, it depends on the quality of the rip or download on your device.

I've got top quality tracks on my phone and they sounded incredible via these cans.

Thanks.

D.

Dinarius wrote: »
    As far as I can gather, it depends on the quality of the rip or download on your device.

I've got top quality tracks on my phone and they sounded incredible via these cans.

Thanks.

D.

Do you plan on listening on the go or in private? If on the go then you might be better off with a good pair of iem's. If you go for full sized cans, be sure to buy an amp. You can buy a decent portable amp relatively cheap but won't be as good as a desktop amp. If the headphones are low impedance you might not need an amp at all but most high end headphones will require one if you want to drive them to they're full potential.

The P7s from my iPhone sounded superb. I can't imagine needing an amp. But, I'm no expert, admittedly.

I urge anyone living in Dublin to listen to them in Cloney Audio in Tower Records on Dawson Street.

They also have the Sennheiser 650 there.

D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭yimrsg

A 300 ohm, open back headphone, with a 3m double entry cable powered by a phone would be an awful investment for someone looking to using them while commuting.

Out of the two, i would go with the p7s seen as you know they sound fine without an amp an you think they sound superb! The 650s would need an amp to get the most out of them and they are open back so if using them commuting then they are NOT going to be enjoyable for you ... or anyone nearby! I would only suggest open backs for private use when your alone at home!

• Advertisement

baalad wrote: »
    Out of the two, i would go with the p7s seen as you know they sound fine without an amp an you think they sound superb! The 650s would need an amp to get the most out of them and they are open back so if using them commuting then they are NOT going to be enjoyable for you ... or anyone nearby! I would only suggest open backs for private use when your alone at home!

On balance, I think you're right.

So, just a question of finding the cheapest P7s! :P

Thanks.

D.

Ps. Maybe Cloney will have a sale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

I had the P7's amazing sounding cans. I ended up returning them though, only because the leather isn't water resistant and seeing as how I wear headphones outside mostly they had to go back.

Invested in a set of CIEM's instead.

What are CIEMs?

Thanks.

D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

CIEM's = Custom In-Ear Monitors.

Thanks.

I don't like anything in-ear. Will stick with over-ear.

D.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

I have and love the HD650s but definitely wouldn't consider using them outside the house, just not designed for that - even if you have a suitable player to drive them, which an iPhone or any smartphone won't do without an amp. As has been said, the fact that they are open renders them unsuitable for use in public places and while they are comfortable, they would be too big and loose on the head for use on the move... imo of course.

I recently picked up the Momentum over-ears and loving them so far - I've not had the opportunity to wear them out and about yet so can't say much for the portability but I'm pretty confident I'll enjoy them when I get the opportunity later this week. They would work perfectly with a phone without any need for further amplification. Very comfortable, light and sound is really nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I just picked up some Momentum on ears, very satisfied so far. Also consider Sennheiser Urbanites... Aparently better sounding, but a younger style...

I considered Bowers and Wills, but I couldn't justify the additional cost for what is a very similar sounding headphone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,733 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I'm lining up a pair of Sony MDR-10RBT after payday.

Was gonna go for MDR-1R series (which are apparently the comfiest headphones around) but decided on the lighter, wireless sibling.

*edit*
    OP you might want to look at this:
    http://www.headfonia.com/the-phenomenal-philips-fidelio-l2-feat-fidelio-m1bt-review/
    (Philips Fidelio L2)

Advertisement