Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best xbox one router

• 27-12-2014 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

hey guys im new on here just wondering how does everyone have there xbox one/360 connected for online gaming.I have vodafone fixed line at the moment,no phone socket upstarirs so have to use one of them wifi extenders (not sure are they affecting my connection ) but internet speed is poor on the xbox itself 3.50 download 0.30 upload..
    Any ideas out there how i can improve speed for the xbox?? thanks in advance..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭dunworth1

gamer1234 wrote: »
    hey guys im new on here just wondering how does everyone have there xbox one/360 connected for online gaming.I have vodafone fixed line at the moment,no phone socket upstarirs so have to use one of them wifi extenders (not sure are they affecting my connection ) but internet speed is poor on the xbox itself 3.50 download 0.30 upload..
    Any ideas out there how i can improve speed for the xbox?? thanks in advance..

what kind of speeds are you getting on your laptop/pc

if you are using a wifi extender that generally halfs the connection speed
    as its catching and bouncing the signal.

a much better alternative would be homeplugs they work through your
    eletrical wiring you put one next to your router/modem and then one next to
    the xbox.

a set can be got it argos for about 30 quid

but we need to see if its you internet connection causing the issue in the first place do a speed test on your laptop on www.speedtest.net
    and then a test on www.pingtest.net and report back

its a good idea to run two test one with the laptop wired into the router
    and another on wifi upstairs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

To add to what dunworth advised , you can compare speeds with a laptop connected directly to the router with a cable to get the max speed using speed test then wirelessly if you like, then on the One/360 open internet explorer app and test using speedof.me site and see what the difference is.

Which vodafone router are you currently using ? I had issues with the old one and started using homeplugs which are great, but stopped using them since we got one of the newer white routers as it was just as good speed wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭gamer1234

Hi there thanks for the reply,I should have explained mysel better im using one of those plug in types one beside modem and other one in the back of xbox one. Did those tests the first one was plugged into modem
    Download 6.03 upload 0.42
    Ping test 100ms jitter 8ms
    Upstairs wifi
    Download 4.00 upload 0.16
    Ping test 55ms jitter 0.2ms
    And then did connection test on xbox and it was 2.59 download 0.27 upload.
    I'm using vodafone at the moment and saw a bit about opening ports or something. It so hard to play the likes of fifa u have no control at all players response is so bad not sure what to do

pings are on the high side, test those from windows start > run > cmd or serach for cmd (command prompt) and type ping www.google.ie -t and let it run for a few seconds then ctrl+c to stop it and see what they come back as and if it's failing / dropping packets. Your pings are better on wifi which is a surprise indeed.

If you look in the NAT thread I post pictures of the setting for the VF router a few weeks ago.

Jesus that's all new to me is there any step by step guide how to do that,my modem page is different it must be an older on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭dunworth1

Jesus that's all new to me is there any step by step guide how to do that,my modem page is different it must be an older on

thats done on your laptop

here a youtube video that shows you how to do it

oh cheers but its the opening ports thing I don't have a clue about..any help welcome

oh cheers but its the opening ports thing I don't have a clue about..any help welcome

Here are my settings, http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=93250270&postcount=133

Most routers will be very similar, so you should be able to match it up with what yours has.

that's great thanks..what do u set the upnp to????
    some say on other say off??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

If you go to the Nat thread on here you might find someone who had the same router as you.

• Advertisement

The speeds have improved a bit since I got onto vodafone but I'm still wondering should I changed my modem cause if the iPad smart TV etc are on the connection speed at the xbox drops will i better modem help me?? According to vodafone I should be getting 7 meg but when I run the network test at the xbox best I've ever got is 5.29 and 0.40??

The speeds have improved a bit since I got onto vodafone but I'm still wondering should I changed my modem cause if the iPad smart TV etc are on the connection speed at the xbox drops will i better modem help me?? According to vodafone I should be getting 7 meg but when I run the network test at the xbox best I've ever got is 5.29 and 0.40??

Short answer no, long answer yes maybe with some buts.

If you are streaming TV will playing games then pings will be very high especially if it's HD content from netflix and what not. Those speeds are fine for gaming. it's all about pings/latency which is how long it takes to reach the servers put simply. You could have 200Mbps UPC connection and get the same performance as a 7mbps connection if you have high pings or a very low upload speed.

As for routers you would be looking at stuff to throttle and traffic manage all other connections to it and give priority to the xbox , which would be over kill and a bit of a dick move if you were sharing a connection with people in the house, and you really would need to know what you are doing to achieve a working viable set up for all.

Advertisement