Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pedal upgrade or not

• 27-12-2014 8:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭

Lads! I'm looking to improve my performance and I think the next thing to be upgraded should be the pedals. At the moment I've got the mighty Wellgo M085's with plastic body and toe straps. Some will say I have to go clipless but I'm happy with my trainers (don't want new shoes) for the time being. (I'd like to able to walk if needed and being clipped in isn't the best idea for me). I looked at the Shimano M324, it seems suitable and I can transfer the toe cage over from the existing ones. What you reckon? Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,764 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

What do you expect to get out of the change? You are going to keep the runners or planning on going for regressed cleats?

Are you noticing that you are losing performance due to having the current set up? I don't think there is much difference between clipless and straps performance wise, the real difference comes from the power transfer through the stiffer soles on racing shoes. Kelly used straps his whole career (or at least until near the very end). Even after others had moved over.

A friend of mine has recently moved back to standard pedals and runners and he finds that expect for really stiff climbs and fast cadence he doesn't notice much difference. Of course we are in winter training and so not pushing hard but as I said it depends on what you think you get out of it, how much cycling your doing and the level you are trying to get to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭padyjoe

I don't expect too much but I thought a metal pedal has less flex than the plastic. (It crossed my mind, I wondered what others think about it. The factory pedals have 2300 kms on them.) I'm happy with the runners and straps. I'm not planning to turn into Lance Armstrong just to get more fit and lose some more weight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

padyjoe wrote: »
    being clipped in isn't the best idea for me

What is your objection to being clipped in? If you're currently using toe straps, your feet are more restricted than they would be with cleats.

I use Shimano A530 pedals which have cleat on one side and flat platform on the other. You could use them with trainers and migrate to SPD shoes which you can still walk in due to their recessed cleats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭padyjoe

I don't really know I've always thought the clip in and our process is more difficult than getting out of toe straps. The main thing: if I want to go clipless have to buy pedals and shoes. As I have learned your performance depends on your pedalling style (360 degrees cranking) I think I prefer being able to walk if something happens. (But if it does let's say 20-30 kms from home walking won't save my @rse when the bike becomes useless, 25-30 km/h v 5-6 km/h :-)) Thanks for your input!

Advertisement