Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

advice needed

• 27-12-2014 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭

hi guys.
    I want to put recessed ceiling speakers and connect them to the tv.
    I already have white and red cables from tv to attic space and power in attic.
    Where would I get an amp and speakers? any recommendations on what set up to use?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭TroutMask

What make speakers? I've seen this done with Ls and Rs and L & R of a surround system with the C coming from behind the TV and the .1 or the sub tucked away, worked OK. They didn't use ceiling speakers though (I'm assuming you're talking about the round, department store type), they used that acoustically transparent ceiling material with proper speakers mounted above. If you're in Dublin, then the new H&M has exactly the same type of setup in their basement (possibly the only reason one would ever want to go in there :) )

TBH, you'd probably be better off with a good sound bar like B&W or something like that - you have to pay big bucks for ceiling fit speakers that don't suck.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Johny 8

ok so basically i have the tv hanging on a stone feature wall. the sofa is about 15 feet from the tv with 10 ft high ceilings. Problem is i cant hear the tv properly! most of the room is glass so it would be difficult to have standing speakers hence the reason for ceiling speakers. Room is finished decorated so i really only have access through attic space to ceiling!

Hmm, seems like the issue is a room acoustics one - too much stone and glass reflecting the sound about and muddying the sound image. Not sure if ceiling speakers is the solution, maybe a good solid powerful centre then fly the surrounds? Or audition a B&W - they are very detailed and would improve the clarity

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Johny 8

where would the b&w go? under the tv?

Yes, it's like a sound bar AFAIK Thing is, the Centre channel carries all of the dialogue so the brain gets weirded out if the dialogue is not coming from the vicinity of the screen - which is why 5.1 or a 2 or 2.1 downmix of movie sound coming from overhead is technically a undesirable solution. Not saying you have to get the B&W - it's just an example of the kind of high-quality detailed speaker that might overcome the room issues

http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/Speakers/Theatre_Solutions/Panorama/Plug-and-Play.html

• Advertisement
Advertisement