Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

can I teach with criminal record

Options
  • 27-12-2014 11:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi, there is a possibility that I will get a criminal record for 3 arrests (drunk and disorderly/ aggression) and was just wondering will it effect my future of teaching kids?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 fireball69

Hi, there is a possibility that I will get a criminal record for 3 arrests (drunk and disorderly/ aggression/ failure to comply) and was just wondering will it effect my future of teaching kids?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,291 ✭✭✭✭endacl

fireball69 wrote: »
    Hi, there is a possibility that I will get a criminal record for 3 arrests (drunk and disorderly/ aggression) and was just wondering will it effect my future of teaching kids?

Theoretically, maybe not, depending on the attitude of the interviewing panel.

Realistically though, you'll be up against hundreds for any advertised post. Most of those will be more experienced than you, and will not have a record.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 625 ✭✭✭roadsmart

If you are teaching kids you will be Garda vetted, so they will definitely find out about it.

Is there an echo in here?

roadsmart wrote: »
    If you are teaching kids you will be Garda vetted, so they will definitely find out about it.

I am aware that they will know about it, and I am not going to lie. However, I am not yet qualified and am wondering if there is any point in continuing, if there is a good chance I will not be given a job, due to my record.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

I would hope it does.

GarIT wrote: »
    I would hope it does.

Not here to be judged ... just looking for advice!

Sorry, can't answer that. I would ask you however that if you are for example one of ten candidates for a position and the other candidates haven't got 3 convictions for antisocial behaviour, how do you think it would go?

Not here to be judged ... just looking for advice!

I probably was a bit harsh but what's the point in Garda getting if it doesn't filter out the criminals. It would certainly be difficult to get a job in a field with such massive unemployment with a criminal conviction. When posts are getting 100+ applicants and the principal is looking to filter out CVs you have given a great reason there. The employment prospects for teachers probably will change with the economy improving and government spending increasing.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭MisterKipling

first thing you'll have to apply for is garda clearance. you won't get teaching or working with children in any capacity in this country or others for that matter.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,183 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I taught alongside people who had been in prison. It depends what the offence is and how long ago. Violence or anything sexual would not be good.

It might be worth running the question past the teaching unions.

spurious wrote: »
    I taught alongside people who had been in prison. It depends what the offence is and how long ago. Violence or anything sexual would not be good.

It might be worth running the question past the teaching unions.

In what situation were you working though? e.g. with vulnerable people (elderly/ kids) as I know they are strict about these age groups especially!

It wont help with Garda vetting but if you've had three arrests all drink relates you really need to go to rehab and follow it up with AA it would certainly help your employment prospects.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,183 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I taught with people with criminal records. It depends on the offence and when it happened.

Here are the TC guidelines on it:
    http://www.teachingcouncil.ie/_fileupload/Garda%20Vetting/Amended%20and%20%20ApprovedGuidelines%20mem%20AssessCourtConvictions%2017%20Sep%202012%20kel.pdf

Was this also asked in another forum? Thought I answered it a few minutes ago.

In what situation were you working though? e.g. with vulnerable people (elderly/ kids) as I know they are strict about these age groups especially!

Teaching in a school.

GarIT wrote: »
    It wont help with Garda vetting but if you've had three arrests all drink relates you really need to go to rehab and follow it up with AA it would certainly help your employment prospects.

You see, I don't necessarily have a problem with drinking. It was just a few nights on the tear that i ended up over-consuming, but it's not a common habit. I have done exceptionally well on teaching practice, and just hope my whole future is not jeopardised, basic on 3 nights where I wasn't thinking straight!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,344 ✭✭✭✭looksee

can I teach with criminal record

No doubt you can, whether you would be permitted is another question.

Teaching in a school.

That's interesting. I suppose it does depend on a variety of factors, such as the number of people applying for a position, the interviewing panel, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Were you just arrested or actually convicted?

• Advertisement

You see, I don't necessarily have a problem with drinking. It was just a few nights on the tear that i ended up over-consuming, but it's not a common habit. I have done exceptionally well on teaching practice, and just hope my whole future is not jeopardised, basic on 3 nights where I wasn't thinking straight!

Personally I'd disagree, you can't be arrested for D&D without having a problem. If it was 1 I'd say maybe it was a mistake but by the third I'd say it's a problem.

That's interesting. I suppose it does depend on a variety of factors, such as the number of people applying for a position, the interviewing panel, etc.

The main thing would be the nature of the offence. Repeat offences would not be good, but as I said, there's a lot more to it. People are becoming teachers later and later now and often some of them will have had a colourful youth, which could be 20 or more years ago now.

Were you just arrested or actually convicted?

Arrested twice. No conviction (just a caution). 3rd arrest - waiting for court date, and possible conviction.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,743 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Why did you start two threads on this?

Why did you start two threads on this?

completely by mistake! wasn't sure how to remove the second one! :S

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Arrested twice. No conviction (just a caution). 3rd arrest - waiting for court date, and possible conviction.

The school will do due diligence checks but if you do not have a criminal record then they can't disclose one.

I am not sure how a caution fits in. The school should ask you for permission first before enquiring into your history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

The main thing would be the nature of the offence. Repeat offences would not be good, but as I said, there's a lot more to it. People are becoming teachers later and later now and often some of them will have had a colourful youth, which could be 20 or more years ago now.

My secondary English teacher, who was a professor of English, was a former member of the IRA. She had served 6 years in prison for armed robbery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

If this was me I'd have signed up with AA before the court date. Get over that first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭fire_man

Hi op.did you not learn after first or second time you were caught?

• Advertisement

fire_man wrote: »
    Hi op.did you not learn after first or second time you were caught?

I thought I had. I had done so well staying out of trouble, and i don't know what happened. It was over something stupid! I am kicking myself that I let it happen again!

Advertisement