Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teething.

Options
  • 28-12-2014 12:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭

12 weeks old looks like we are starting th teething. Drooling constant crying chewing handsz poor wee woman doesn't know what's going on. Gave some calpol earlier and detinox and seems to calm her. No amounts of daddy hugs can help her. Poor critter

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

greenman09 wrote: »
    12 weeks old looks like we are starting th teething. Drooling constant crying chewing handsz poor wee woman doesn't know what's going on. Gave some calpol earlier and detinox and seems to calm her. No amounts of daddy hugs can help her. Poor critter

snap! Our 12 weeker is heading down the same road. Just as the nites were getting better :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭seventeen sheep

Have you tried Teetha? We put a bit on his soother and it seems to really help. (A lot of people won't use it as it's a "homeopathic remedy" ... I certainly don't believe it has any magical ingredients, it's mostly just water, but it works because of the physical cooling effect of the gel on the gums ... it helps if you keep it in the fridge too.)

I prefer to try that before going for the Calpol or Neurofen. By the way, I prefer to use Neurofen before Calpol if it's just teething pain with no temperature - a pharmacist advised that, not sure what the reason is to be honest.

I've heard great things about Calgel but haven't tried it yet.

By the way, our son started showing definite teething signs from around three months on ... he's now almost a year old and still toothless! :eek: Any day now, though ...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I found calgel fantastic at that age. They got immediate relief from rubbing a little on their gums. You can buy it online through uk pharmacies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

The drugs can wreck their tummies if its a constant quick cure.The more I think about it the more I think the drugs are a false economy (the more you use them the more you need them).
    Given that the effect of a pain killer might be about 3-4 hours, when the effect wears off then the pain comes back with a bigger wallop... and then what do you do? more pain relief.

so anyway this is our current story (with no.3).
    Just cuddles and then back into the cot each time... then about 4am bring the child into our bed. It's funny, during the day the kid is bawling unless daddy's carrying him in his arms then everything is fine, I reckon the gentle rocking motion in the arms sooths the pain.

If it got really bad then its paralink... during the day its loadsa water. And a cold carrot from the fridge.

Anyone else try to avoid the drugs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Try abnesol on the gums. Works wonders

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

Yeah we don't give cal pol or that unless he has a temperature or else so hysterical and nothing else has worked so we use it as a last resort really.

The teetha gel, cold teethers from the fridge and cuddles and usually in the bed around 3 usually had us all sleeping mostly through the night. Or fella gets a runny. One with the actual cutting of the teeth too so that was a pain in the back side.

10 month old now has 8 teeth!

They will teeth loads over the next 2 years so medicating with calpol is going to get expensive and wreck their little tummys

I'd agree to avoid the drugs when at all possible, and I'll try everything else I can think of first, but if he's really in pain and absolutely nothing else is working, I'm not going to let him suffer unnecessarily. As long as it's only given on a very occasional basis, it's not going to destroy his stomach.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Marz66

I read this article (not sure how valid it is) which advises on how to tell if baby teething or not. My 14 weeker has some of the symptoms here but not the constant crying so don't think we're teething here yet.

http://sarahockwell-smith.com/2014/09/16/ten-common-baby-parenting-myths-you-might-believe-and-why-you-shouldnt/

Marz66 wrote: »
    I read this article (not sure how valid it is) which advises on how to tell if baby teething or not. My 14 weeker has some of the symptoms here but not the constant crying so don't think we're teething here yet.

http://sarahockwell-smith.com/2014/09/16/ten-common-baby-parenting-myths-you-might-believe-and-why-you-shouldnt/

Most research I've done would indicate that some babies have all symptoms, some babies have none, and some have some symptoms but not all.

I wouldn't rule out the baby teething just because you can't tick the box for every single symptom.

Most research I've done would indicate that some babies have all symptoms, some babies have none, and some have some symptoms but not all.

I wouldn't rule out the baby teething just because you can't tick the box for every single symptom.

Agreed, just posted because when my baby had drooling, fingers in mouth etc I automatically thought teething but when it wasn't accompanied by other symptoms like crying or trouble feeding, I realised it wasn't teething.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

From what I remember, the salivary glands kick in around 3 months. In our case, very shortly after so did teething but our daughter had 2 teeth by 4ish months. This is early enough from what I understand. She had reflux and colic so the extra crankiness of teething probably went unnoticed by us at that stage :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

Agreed, just posted because when my baby had drooling, fingers in mouth etc I automatically thought teething but when it wasn't accompanied by other symptoms like crying or trouble feeding, I realised it wasn't teething.

I thought the same on my daughter. I think it was partly a developmental thing that she'd put the hand in her mouth just cos she could. Lo and behold out of nowhere she had two teeth up. She could very well have been teething the whole time. Very hard to tell she doesn't show any symptoms or signs at all they just seem to appear!

kandr10 wrote: »
    I thought the same on my daughter. I think it was partly a developmental thing that she'd put the hand in her mouth just cos she could. Lo and behold out of nowhere she had two teeth up. She could very well have been teething the whole time. Very hard to tell she doesn't show any symptoms or signs at all they just seem to appear!
    Ok, I'll have to be on the watch out so in case it is teething!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

Ok, I'll have to be on the watch out so in case it is teething!

You just never know! I can only seem to tell after the fact. Now my mil and mother all said she was teething for months before any teeth showed and I was like ah no sure there's no sign but I suppose it could have been!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

The only symptom my son ever had from teething was his fist in his mouth constantly. Like... Completely nearly swallowing it. He had he full set of teeth by 1 year! And the only ones that ever gave him any discomfort and dirty nappies (I think) were 2 of his back teeth (one of the worst 2 weeks of my life I must add).

Now my little girl (9 months with 3 teeth) has been getting fever, dirty nappies and vomiting for the past week. She's very distressed and only holding her standing up seems to sooth her. I was sure it was a bug. And she's competely gone off her food. But I've seen a 4th tooth coming up so I don't know if it's that, a bug or both! She didn't have any bother with the first 3. Poor little pet. Xmas has been dire... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭greenman09

Nothing today now. We went north yesterday up from dublin so could have been her unsettled. All the symptoms mentioned earlier she had. Great form today I must say.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Lustrum

Have you tried an amber necklace? Our 8 month old has 2 teeth with absolutely no crying (or at least extra crying) or interrupted sleep so far (touch wood). She's had a necklace since 3 months, and while it may do nothing and maybe we've just been lucky with pain-free teething, maybe it does work at the same time. We got ours in France, where it seems (along with Germany) that almost every child has them.

I don't want to start an argument about whether they work or not, but for us anyway, they get a thumbs up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

+1 on the drooling being from the activation of saliva glands rather than teething. Our eldest had 4 teeth before the drooling ever started. I don't think they are linked at all. They just learn to swallow their saliva at sine stage and the drool phase ends.

I never used anything for her. She chewed her way through a lot of stuff though. Me, when I was trying to breastfeed. Dummies, bottle teats. Chewed them to bits, but no screaming or anything like it, ever. I had her down as some sort of teething anomoly.

Youngest baby is much slower with teeth, so i was expecting an awful teething experience this time instead. Has 4 so far. No bad nappies, constant crying or anything like what other people describe. Chewing and occasionally grouchy alright... But nothing that needs treatment really. And this was without any magic beads.

My friend showed me her child's bad teething nappy rash before which looked to me more like a fungal infection. It turned out to be that after a trip to her gp. People might be attributing all sorts of other ailments to teething.

I dunno. I don't think teething needs anything at all except some patience.

Everything you can buy has either risks (choking and strangulation in the case of those beads) or side-effects.

Advertisement