Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gentleman's Compendium Of The Visual Arts (AKA Television and Films)

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,371 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

AoS??

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    AoS??

Agents Of Shield..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    If i may ask ACD, have you kept up with AoS, or have you ditched it altogether??

Of course! This might be a tad ridiculous but I happened upon it one night. There was an interrogation scene where a female hacker was being questioned by Clark Gregg and another jockish type. What put me off was that it was the usual guff where she's a suave, sophisticated type who easily ran rings around the generic, muscular idiot while Clark Gregg just observed. I'm willing to accept that it's better than the credit I am affording it but, based on clips from similar shows like Arrow, I think that is unlikely.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Of course! This might be a tad ridiculous but I happened upon it one night. There was an interrogation scene where a female hacker was being questioned by Clark Gregg and another jockish type. What put me off was that it was the usual guff where she's a suave, sophisticated type who easily ran rings around the generic, muscular idiot while Clark Gregg just observed. I'm willing to accept that it's better than the credit I am affording it but, based on clips from similar shows like Arrow, I think that is unlikely.

Skye/Daisy & Ward.......It is miles ahead of Arrow well in my opinion anyway, the show while it was sluggish starting off does get better, episodes 16 through 23 then straight into The Winter Soldier/post Winter Soldier, never have i seen a show start sluggish, then excellently turn it around and build it's momentum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭mynameis905

Great documentary about police corruption in the NYPD during the 80s. I find a lot of crime documentaries can be a bit cheesy with the faux dramatic music etc but this one is just absolute quality.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Skye/Daisy & Ward.......It is miles ahead of Arrow well in my opinion anyway, the show while it was sluggish starting off does get better, episodes 16 through 23 then straight into The Winter Soldier/post Winter Soldier, never have i seen a show start sluggish, then excellently turn it around and build it's momentum.

I see. If it ever ends up on Netflix, I might give it another go.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,386 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Badly need to get the cinema over the next while.

I still use the expression 'tape ____ off the telly'.

Kids today wouldn't have a clue. :pac:

Badly need to get the cinema over the next while.

I still use the expression 'tape ____ off the telly'.

Now that's a phrase I haven't heard in years..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Don't forget those adults who've managed to move past that phrase also :pac:

We had Video plus, it was the programme you'd to set to auto record, dirty bright blue screen on it, anybody else have the same?

Been watching Billions and Gamorrah on Sky Atlantic, Billions has been solid so far, good cast, nice snappy dialogue, it's like a better, sleeker, sharper version of Suits, it's refreshing hearing dialogue that doesn't have 'God Damn' prefacing fighting analogies / Lehman legal speak

D'Agger wrote: »

We had Video plus, it was the programme you'd to set to auto record, dirty bright blue screen on it, anybody else have the same?

Been watching Billions and Gamorrah on Sky Atlantic, Billions has been solid so far, good cast, nice snappy dialogue, it's like a better, sleeker, sharper version of Suits, it's refreshing hearing dialogue that doesn't have 'God Damn' prefacing fighting analogies / Lehman legal speak

I'm only in my early 20's :pac:, but I clearly remember the days of dad taping stuff off television, and all the aforementioned problems that came with it, those were the days.. Even now Dad still requires assistance recording shows on Sky+, he actually said recording on tape was better than "this new fangled thing"

Been meaning to start Billions, might actually do now that all the super hero shows are wrapping for the summer.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,386 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Now that's a phrase I haven't heard in years..
    D'Agger wrote: »

Ah feck off would yiz. :pac: How do ya say it now - I Sky boxed it off the telly?

Have watched two episodes of Billions. Someone likes the walk and talk style. I forget the name of Paul Giamati's character. He's got a
    mole in his office now
    , bit 24, eh? Metallica t-shirt on the go. I'll have to put my aversion to corporate gloating to one side. Decent show anyway.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,371 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Lads

OA is shyte. Don't go there.
    I watched the whole season as it showed promise. Definitely did not deliver.:mad:

I watched the second episode of The OA last night. I started to ask myself if it's a vanity project for the lead actor, who also created it, afaik.

Are you going through the Sopranos, PR?

Stuck in mid season 1 of the Sopranos. Have been watching movies while I was off so haven't seen it for a week or two. Not sure if Missus likes it or not and tbf it is very slow moving.

OA leaves alot unexplained and the ending is nonsense. I got a sinking feeling about halfway through the final episode that it was going no where and was right.

Is the lead actress connected somehow? Seemed like a strange choice so I am thinking cronyism

A quote from the Director of OA might give you an indication of what (kind of bull****) to expect
    (no spoilers below)
    . When asked about the finale they said
    I think we felt that’d really be good about the ending of this, that our interpretation is less important than the audience’s. Certainly as an actor playing a part, I have to believe it as I’m playing it, but as writers, we’ve always maintained the idea that our interpretations of them doesn’t matter as much as the audience’s. There’s no right or wrong answer, it’s just what you feel, which is kind of what being alive is like. If you’re going to have faith in something, you have to have it in the face of incredible doubt. Nobody can take your doubt away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭pumpkin4life

The Sopranos and The Wire are the two greatest T.V shows ever made.

As for comedy, the first nine seasons of The Simpsons are as perfect as you can get.

The Sopranos and The Wire are the two greatest T.V shows ever made.

Wire is there without a doubt. Jury still out on Sopranos for me.
    Band of Brothers is also a contender.

Advertisement