Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gentleman's Compendium Of The Visual Arts (AKA Television and Films)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

+1 for Narcos, really enjoyable

Highly recommend mr.robot too, flown trough it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Sense8 on Netflix is pretty decent, I'm on episode 9.

+1 for Mr Robot, really great show, one of the best I've seen in years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

Was mentioned way earlier, but watched the first episode of Rectify there, and it's looking to be really good. Slow paced, character driven show, with consistently high reviews, and one of the producers of Breaking Bad.

Oh...first time I've seen this, IMDB Top 250 for TV shows (only ever saw it for movies before):
    http://www.imdb.com/chart/toptv?tt2183404

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

Banshee is superb...addictive stuff.

About a guy who gets out of jail after a horrific 15 year stretch....takes on the identity of a sheriff on a town called Banshee

If I said anymore I'd give away too much of a great story line

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,447 ✭✭✭✭cson

Started Entourage last week.

I think Johnny Drama is my favourite comic relief character ever.

Calf implants... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭chewed

Was mentioned way earlier, but watched the first episode of Rectify there, and it's looking to be really good. Slow paced, character driven show, with consistently high reviews, and one of the producers of Breaking Bad.
    t
    I started watching Rectify a few weeks back. 'm into S2 now and enjoying it, but it's quite slow alright! I won't say antmore but I'd be interested to hear what you think. About to watch E4 tonight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

chewed wrote: »
    t
    I started watching Rectify a few weeks back. 'm into S2 now and enjoying it, but it's quite slow alright! I won't say antmore but I'd be interested to hear what you think. About to watch E4 tonight

I watched the first season myself and found it way too slow, didn't like it, never bothered with season 2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

The Strain was recommended to me a few months ago

A modern take on the vampire story. Said I'd give it a go as the Mrs and kid were away for the weekend...

13 episodes between today and yesterday....yes I can say I highly recommend it if you're a horror fan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭mynameis905

D'Agger wrote: »
    +1 for Narcos, really enjoyable

Highly recommend mr.robot too, flown trough it

Narcos is good. Not quite a first rate show but pretty solid.

Mr. Robot is definitely one of the more interesting shows I've seen recently.

Many of you might have already seen it but if not, Das Boot is one of the finest movies ever made. Also available in a six hour mini-series. Not yet kameraden. Not yet!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,371 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

On a topical note has anyone watched Black Mirror on netflix? It is a series of short films sort of twilight zonesque. It is also prophetic :P

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    On a topical note has anyone watched Black Mirror on netflix? It is a series of short films sort of twilight zonesque. It is also prophetic :P
    Yea it's quite good :) Recommend pretty much any/all of Charlie Brookers stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭clever user name

boobar wrote: »
    The Strain was recommended to me a few months ago

A modern take on the vampire story. Said I'd give it a go as the Mrs and kid were away for the weekend...

13 episodes between today and yesterday....yes I can say I highly recommend it if you're a horror fan

Finding myself getting bored of it to be honest. I liked the first season, but after every episode of the second season I've found myself less and less bothered to watch the next. The last one I watched was episode 8, and I can't be arsed watching episode 9. I'll probably get back to it a some point, but for now I'm done with it. I think its just lost its way a bit!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,371 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Yea it's quite good :) Recommend pretty much any/all of Charlie Brookers stuff.

What else has he got?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭chewed

I just re-watched all of Nathan Barley (which was co-written by Charlie Brooker) recently on YouTube. Absolute brilliant show and so ahead of its time!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

So, I've finally watched The Sopranos. The previous assessments in this thread are spot on IMO. I don't know if it's just me but it usually takes a while for me to "get into" shows like this. The show has served as the inspiration for a lot of other programmes and characters and it's clear why. The writing, characters, story arcs, etc... are simply in a league of their own. I wouldn't bother comparing it to The Wire as they're two different programmes.

On another note, I've also finished Parks and Recreation. Fantastic US sitcom worth watching for Ron Swanson alone. Not sure what to watch next. Perhaps, Narcos, Rome, Peaky Blinders or Fargo...

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Ya Nathan Barley was quite good - wish they'd done more of that.
    What else has he got?
    He contributed to Brass Eye, there is all of Screenwipe/Newswipe/Gameswipe/Weekly-Wipe (even if old, all are quite funny at times), and there is a TV game show thing 'You Have Been Watching', which is actually pretty fun - he also did a documentary 'How TV Ruined your Life'.

Some that he did, but which I think are skippable, are Dead Set (I don't remember it well though) and A Touch of Cloth - the latter in particular, I think was pretty far from funny most of the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Rewatched This is England, then TIE 86 & 88 over the last couple of days before I binge on the final 4 episodes.

In my humble opinion its pretty much the finest British drama series of all time.

Absolutely faultless on all fronts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭mynameis905

I haven't seen This is England but I don't know if it could top Early Doors as my favourite British series. Nominally a comedy but there's a quiet melancholy under the surface that elevates it to near brilliance.

I've rewatched The Fast Show on a whim recently, and was good fun to watch again, after having not seen it for best part of a couple decades.

• Advertisement

Powerful movie just appeared on Netflix called 'Beasts of no Nation' about child soldiers in West Africa. We watched it last night and it is well worth the 2 hours plus

• Registered Users Posts: 18,127 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

anyone have any recommendation of the film "American Splendor" hadnt heard of it

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

"Bobby Fischer against the world" on Netflix - amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Watched The Prestige again recently, not sure how many times in total it's been, but I think I love it more with every watch.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Well into Jessica Jones at the moment. Another great series from Netflix. No idea why the Marvel movies can't be this good.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

D'Agger wrote:
    Watched The Prestige again recently, not sure how many times in total it's been, but I think I love it more with every watch.

Easily my favourite Nolan film, I love it.
    Well into Jessica Jones at the moment. Another great series from Netflix. No idea why the Marvel movies can't be this good.

I think at 13 episodes it's a bit stretched. But they seriously benefit from having the time to develop a decent villain as well as a hero something the films have really struggled with.

The best Marvel villains for me thus far have been Kilgrave, Fisk, and Ward from AoS in that order. I loved that Kilgrave was essentially a child who never grew up because he had no need to when everyone he got everything he wanted.

Finished episode 3 tonight. Giving it a chance but not sold on it yet.

Anyone watched Borgia?? Well worth a look.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,386 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I finally read the book of Band of Brothers. I have to say, I thought it was excellent in capturing the men and their experiences. I was surprised how much of it actually made it in to the series.

On a less happy note, I did encounter some anti-American sentiment amongst some of the people I was on holiday with. I had to bite my tongue a little. There was also some 'I like to remind Germans that we won the war', largely in the jest, but really, unless you've a family connection to serving during that time, get over it.

Watched the first episode of Jessica Jones - saving the rest for a Christmas binge.

FunLover18 wrote: »
    The best Marvel villains for me thus far have been Kilgrave, Fisk, and Ward from AoS in that order. I loved that Kilgrave was essentially a child who never grew up because he had no need to when everyone he got everything he wanted.

I tried to watch AoS once. It looks like its got everything wrong with the MCU in it front and centre; bland characters, "humour", lack of proper storylines, etc... I much prefer the Netflix stuff.
    Finished episode 3 tonight. Giving it a chance but not sold on it yet.

Anyone watched Borgia?? Well worth a look.

That's when it started getting good for me. Give it a few more.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

I tried to watch AoS once. It looks like its got everything wrong with the MCU in it front and centre; bland characters, "humour", lack of proper storylines, etc... I much prefer the Netflix stuff.

If i may ask ACD, have you kept up with AoS, or have you ditched it altogether??

Advertisement