Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New C of I managed Secondary School in Greystones

• 28-12-2014 2:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭

How can a child gain entry, be accepted into this school.?

To date , student has attended feeder school in Bray.

Child & Parents were told that child would need to sign a declaration , confirming she will be confirmed in C of I tradition.:confused:

Child and parents are Protestants though not members of the Church of Ireland.

Is there an element of hair splitting going on ? Children living on the same avenue as the student in question have had their places confirmed and will start next September.:confused:

Is there a logical explanation ?????:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Had a quick look at admissions policy of Temple Carrig school.

http://www.templecarrigschool.ie/admissions.html

Schools in Bray are seen as second-line feeder schools and it seems priority in these areas would be given to children from families with "an active participation" in certain C of I parishes.

Am not familiar with all of the details but seems Temple Carrig is really targetted at all children in Greystones/Delgany and at C of I families outside of the area after that. This seems a bit unusual as normally the term used is "traditional Protestant churches" i.e.Methodist, Presbyterian, Quaker etc Might be worth a call to the school to see what exactly an "active participation" might be.

Enrolment/admission is new schools like this can be fluid and Boards of Management can amend their policies, so I'd persevere and ask for written responses to all queries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Wally Runs

It has been discussed at length here; http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057099520 and reading it may help.

Whatever about the perceived rights or wrongs of the admission policy for Bray (non-Greystones) students. It is a faith based school, have a chat with the school and for that matter the COI, Methodist etc churches in Bray.

It is worth noting that a new educate together secondary school is to open in 2016: http://www.educatetogether.ie/north-wicklow-2016, location I do not know but very likely Bray. Might that suit your time frame?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Thank you .Interesting comments above.

Child in question is Methodist , residing in Bray, who has not gained entry despite attending Methodist Primary School.

It was suggested that if the child and parents were to attend the COI parish in Greystones, and if the child signed up to being confirmed in the COI tradition the situation would be reviewed.

Perhaps local Cof I Minister is trying to increase his flock?? LOL

:confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,026 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Thank you .Interesting comments above.

Child in question is Methodist , residing in Bray, who has not gained entry despite attending Methodist Primary School.

It was suggested that if the child and parents were to attend the COI parish in Greystones, and if the child signed up to being confirmed in the COI tradition the situation would be reviewed.

Perhaps local Cof I Minister is trying to increase his flock?? LOL

:confused::confused::confused:

All the Greystones primaries have priority over schools outside of Greystones AFAIK so the child in question would also have a better chance if he/she was enrolled in one of the catholic schools or the Gaelscoil.

There is a small number of places reserved for members of the COI parish, but the majority of kids entering first year next year are not COI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

To date , student has attended feeder school in Bray.
    There are no feeder schools in Bray.
    This school is being provided for children in the Delgany and Greystones area, and that is where the primary feeder schools are.
    It is being built by the State and funded with taxpayer's money. The CoI patron was only voted for by people in the feeder area on the basis that there would be no religious discrimination in the admission policy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,026 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

recedite wrote: »
    The CoI patron was only voted for by people in the feeder area on the basis that there would be no religious discrimination in the admission policy.

really? the other options were Educate Together and VEC, both non-denominational. Why would more people have supported the CoI application if they didn't want CoI ethos and protestant-friendly admission policy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

loyatemu wrote: »
    really? the other options were Educate Together and VEC, both non-denominational. Why would more people have supported the CoI application if they didn't want CoI ethos and protestant-friendly admission policy?

Wannabes ?????;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

loyatemu wrote: »
    Why would more people have supported the CoI application if they didn't want CoI ethos and protestant-friendly admission policy?
    The CoI ethos was of course part of the package, but the "protestant-friendly" admissions policy was only introduced after the patronage had been awarded. The CoI "campaign" was based around every pupil from all the feeder schools having equal access, this is how the CoI patron was able to garner cross community support and successfully compete against the other two prospective patrons.

Advertisement