Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upcoming events in South Australia

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

Update email with more information on the Santos Tour Down Under, kicking off this weekend. Looks like it's gearing up to be nice weather too!
    Sent: Monday, 12 January 2015 3:42 PM
    Subject: INTERNATIONAL CYCLING HITS THE CITY THIS WEEKEND

The Santos Tour Down Under starts this weekend and you’re invited!
    Be there this Saturday at 3pm when the Adelaide City Council Tour Village and Bike Expo are opened to the public for the first time.. The Expo – the largest of its kind in Australia – features all the latest cycling gear, plus plenty of great activities for the whole family. The Village is the place to go to watch team mechanics in action, get autographs from riders, relax with a drink and check out race action on the big screen. Best of all, entry to the Adelaide City Council Tour Village and Bike Expo is free.

At 6pm on Saturday it will be time for the official Team Presentation in the northern side of Victoria Square. Renowned cycling commentators Phil Liggett and Paul Sherwen will introduce all riders to the crowd. Cheer onyour favourites and see cyclists including Cadel Evans, Ryder Hesjedal, Geraint Thomas, Marcel Kittel and Michael Rogers before they line up to race.

After the team presentation get ready to welcome chart sensations Sheppard to the stage for a free concert. They’ll get everyone in a party mood!

This Sunday promises to be another fantastic day of entertainment in the city. Head to Rundle Street to grab a coffee or a meal before the excitement of racing begins, or why not try one of the new small bars in Peel Street after the racing has concluded for the day?

At 5pm on Sunday it’s time for the People’s Choice Undies Run for Bowel Cancer, a fun event for a very worthy cause. From 5.45pm get set for the second stage of the Santos Women’s Cup and watch top riders from around Australia do battle.

The hotly anticipated People’s Choice Classic starts at 7.15pm on Sunday. It’s the first chance top cyclists have to test their legs on the world stage for 2015, and it’s anyone’s race.
    Saturday 17 January 2015
    · 3.00pm: Adelaide City Council Tour Village and Bike Expo in Victoria Square open to the public
    · 6.00pm: Santos Tour Down Under Team Presentation in Victoria Square
    · 7.30pm: Free concert featuring Sheppard

Sunday 18 January 2015
    · 5.00pm: People’s Choice Undies Run for Bowel Cancer
    · 5.45pm: Jarvis Subaru Criterium
    · 7.15pm: People’s Choice Classic

The 2015 Santos Tour Down Under will be held in Adelaide and regional South Australia from 17 - 25 January.

Visit www.tourdownunder.com.au for all the details.

The Santos Tour Down Under is proudly owned and managed by the South Australian Tourism Commission through Events South Australia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

Cheers wooly, this is great! Where do you get this info from? I'm going to Adelaide for mad march and trying to plan my itinerary now, if possible. I get there around the 11/12th and will be there til the 27/28th

Thanks massdebater
    Where do you get this info from?
    Living & working in Adelaide. I also get emails from the South Australian Tourism Commission. Check out http://www.tourism.sa.gov.au and http://www.southaustralia.com, give me a shout if you have any questions, like where to get decent-ish guinness!
    I'm going to Adelaide for mad march and trying to plan my itinerary now, if possible.
    Great time of year, you might find it hard to get accommodation though so be quick. My father was over last march, arrived about that same time. I put him in the Princes Lodge Motel for a few days ('cos i live in a boxy unit :( ), lovely clean quiet room, not too expensive. http://www.princeslodge.com.au/ bit of a hike from the action in the CBD though.
    I get there around the 11/12th and will be there til the 27/28th
    The tourism sites will have the events, but i also try to repost the monthly emails i get to this forum also, so keep an eye out end of Feb / start of March for the March events. There's always a good crowd at the Irish Club in the city for Paddys Day. If you can afford it, hire a car and go for a drive through the hills, catch a bus tour to the wineries, etc.

Thanks massdebater

Living & working in Adelaide. I also get emails from the South Australian Tourism Commission. Check out http://www.tourism.sa.gov.au and http://www.southaustralia.com, give me a shout if you have any questions, like where to get decent-ish guinness!

Great time of year, you might find it hard to get accommodation though so be quick. My father was over last march, arrived about that same time. I put him in the Princes Lodge Motel for a few days ('cos i live in a boxy unit :( ), lovely clean quiet room, not too expensive. http://www.princeslodge.com.au/ bit of a hike from the action in the CBD though.

The tourism sites will have the events, but i also try to repost the monthly emails i get to this forum also, so keep an eye out end of Feb / start of March for the March events. There's always a good crowd at the Irish Club in the city for Paddys Day. If you can afford it, hire a car and go for a drive through the hills, catch a bus tour to the wineries, etc.

That's brill, cheers. I'll check out those links. Oh yeah, I forgot I'll be there for paddy's day! I'll be living in a motorhome so should be fine for accommodation and that sort of thing. Looking forward to it, SA will be the only state/territory I've never been to so looking forward to getting there :)

I'll be living in a motorhome
    That's pretty cool! which direction will you be coming from? You traveling around much or just passing through?

• Advertisement

That's pretty cool! which direction will you be coming from? You traveling around much or just passing through?

Just passing through for the time being. I'm driving round Tassie for a couple of weeks, then back to Melbourne and over to Adelaide. End of March, I fly from Adelaide to Perth (too far to drive) for a festival from April 1-7 and then back to Adelaide where I'll pick up the motorhome again and head north past Uluru and swing a right towards Cairns and spend the next two months making my way down towards Melbourne again. I don't have any strict timeline, just that I need to be back in Melbourne by 30th June. I will take your advice on where to get good Guinness around Adelaide too, that'd be appreciated :)

and here's me saving for a fixed abode - you're living the dream buddy! :)

We drove from Adelaide to Melbourne a couple of years back. Lots of awesome places to stop along the Great Ocean Road. Would also recommend Kangaroo Island if you ever had two or three days to spare, it is out of the way though. Lovely beach & caravan park at Normanville on the way! Flinders Ranges is meant to be pretty awesome, that's still on my to-do list.

and here's me saving for a fixed abode - you're living the dream buddy! :)

We drove from Adelaide to Melbourne a couple of years back. Lots of awesome places to stop along the Great Ocean Road. Would also recommend Kangaroo Island if you ever had two or three days to spare, it is out of the way though. Lovely beach & caravan park at Normanville on the way! Flinders Ranges is meant to be pretty awesome, that's still on my to-do list.

Ha cheers, yes I'm looking forward to it. My current lease is up mid February so I move into the motorhome then. Kangaroo Island is something I've been considering actually. My housemate went there just before xmas and loved it. I will have time when I get back from WA so I might go then. Everyone tells me mad march is the best time to visit Adelaide so I'm looking forward to that!

Kangaroo Island is something I've been considering actually. My housemate went there just before xmas and loved it. I will have time when I get back from WA so I might go then. Everyone tells me mad march is the best time to visit Adelaide so I'm looking forward to that!

KI is awesome - you can spend as little or as much time there depending on what you want to see. It's bigger than you expect, little wineries & distilleries, lookouts, the sights (remarkable rocks, little sahara, etc.). Great little seafood cafe at stokes bay with massive carpark for a motor home! :D Good times!

anyway, all the best with the planning & the trip. Like i said, feel free to hit me up with any questions. Don't know everywhere like this guy, but i get by! :pac:

KI is awesome - you can spend as little or as much time there depending on what you want to see. It's bigger than you expect, little wineries & distilleries, lookouts, the sights (remarkable rocks, little sahara, etc.). Great little seafood cafe at stokes bay with massive carpark for a motor home! :D Good times!

anyway, all the best with the planning & the trip. Like i said, feel free to hit me up with any questions. Don't know everywhere like this guy, but i get by! :pac:

Ha thanks and cheers for the advice :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement