Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Air Asia flight from Singapore to Indonesia missing

• 28-12-2014 5:06am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭

It hasn't been a very good year for aviation. An air Asia flight has lost contact with air traffic control while flying over Indonesian air space.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-30614627

:(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

We can rule out foul play i suggest (well you can never rule it out] but its fairly stable air space is it not??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Highflyer13

Terrifying stuff. Awful year for aviation. Over 5 hrs overdue at the moment which itself is outside the range for this type of aircraft.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Terrifying stuff. Awful year for aviation.

I don't think it was. 1 plane went missing, so did an Air France flight over the Atlantic a few years ago.

The other flew over an active war zone and got shot down as a result. That's not bad luck, that's being stupid.

To put in perspective we have had the worst year for road deaths in 10 years but that's not even on the news.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭The Diabolical Monocle

surely not again. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

I don't think it was. 1 plane went missing, so did an Air France flight over the Atlantic a few years ago.

The other flew over an active war zone and got shot down as a result. That's not bad luck, that's being stupid.

He didn't say it was bad luck. He said it was an awful year.

• Advertisement

Not to get petty but it still makes it an bad year for aviation. Thats a lot of lives lost and the unknowns about MH 370 is truly terrifiying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

He didn't say it was bad luck. He said it was an awful year.

Same thing really.

Same thing really.

Except it's not...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

Jesus christ. Another missing plane? WTF.

Just read this -
    If all passengers were confirmed lost, it would take the 2014 air fatality count over 600, making it the deadliest year for aviation since 2010.

Reports of a plane crash in the ocean off the east coast of Belitung which - from my uninformed quick check on google maps - would appear to be in the middle of the flight path....

Taken from following link.

http://nasional.kompas.com/read/2014/12/28/10400961/Ada.Pesawat.yang.Jatuh.di.Perairan.Belitung.Timur
    A plane reportedly crashed in the sea waters of East Belitung, Bangka Beltung, Sunday (28/12). It is not yet certain point the crash site.

"Did Mr. Danlanud phone Mr (Basuri), no information ngasi water plane bus crashed in the waters around Beltim," said Yuhinu, aide Regent Beltim Basuri T Purnama, when contacted bangkapos.com, Sunday (28/12).

Separated, Adj Polair Beltim AKP Yanto said, the information obtained from the directorate Polair Babylon, the approximate location of the waters of Babylon. But still confirmed the crash site.

"We are still coordinating with the directorate and collect information from fishermen and boats that pass Beltim waters," said AKP Yanto when contacted bangkapos.com.

Previously, QZ 8501 AirAsia aircraft reported missing on the way from Surabaya to Singapore this morning, Sunday (12/28/2014).

Director of Air Transport Ministry, Djoko Murjatmojo ensure that the aircraft lost in the radar. "Right now I'm in the post monitoring to wait for a variety of reports received," he said when confirmed Kompas.com.

He said, later the Ministry of Transportation will provide an official statement regarding the loss of the AirAsia plane. (Read: AirAsia aircraft from Surabaya to Singapore Reported Missing)

Meanwhile, citing data from Flightradar, missing AirAsia plane is an Airbus A320 with registration number PK-AXC. The plane took off from Surabaya at 5:20 am and arrived in Singapore should at 08.30 local time or 07.30. (

Edit: Some pretty bad thunderstorms in the area at that time too.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B56gCKECYAAEVwj.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    It hasn't been a very good year for aviation. An air Asia flight has lost contact with air traffic control while flying over Indonesian air space.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-30614627

:(

John "Beaker Of Muppet Lab" Kerry is now gunning through his notes to announce that he has unshakeable proof that it was Putin?

"Quick! More sanctions against Russia. In fact sanctions against China for promising financial aid to the Russians suffering from the sanctions we imposed over another airliner that I have proof they brought down!"

To put in perspective we have had the worst year for road deaths in 10 years but that's not even on the news.

Stupid on the part of whom? The pilots who flew the plane or those on the ground who guided them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Hope they find the crash site/debris quickly. The horror of not doing so for those families lost on MH370 is unimaginable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,937 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Merkin wrote: »
    The horror of not doing so for those families lost on MH370 is unimaginable.

Why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Why?

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Hope they find the crash site/debris quickly. The horror of not doing so for those families lost on MH370 is unimaginable.

Why do people care about the actual body once they know that the person is dead? Getting the body back doesn't make them any less dead.

:rolleyes:

Don't roll your eyes, i'm asking you why this would have any affect on them whatsoever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Why?

Yeah I don't really get that either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭supersean1999

Don't roll your eyes, i'm asking you why this would have any affect on them whatsoever.

Ever heard of a funeral. Imagine wanting to use the actual dead person. Crazy stuff

Ever heard of a funeral. Imagine wanting to use the actually dead person. Crazy stuff

Bullsh!t. The other families couldn't give a toss and why should they? Absolute rubbish.

Get in to the real world.

• Advertisement

The womble President of the world United States has been briefed.

Thanks for that CNN

Bullsh!t. The other families couldn't give a toss and why should they? Absolute rubbish.

Get in to the real world.

Get some sleep.

Get some sleep.

I've had plenty. Now stop evading and answer the question. Why would the families of the Malaysian Airlines plane that went missing care about this?

Utter nonsense. Bulsh!t. Balderdash. Spiffle... what ever you want to call it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Dj Stiggie

Egginacup wrote: »
    John "Beaker Of Muppet Lab" Kerry is now gunning through his notes to announce that he has unshakeable proof that it was Putin?

"Quick! More sanctions against Russia. In fact sanctions against China for promising financial aid to the Russians suffering from the sanctions we imposed over another airliner that I have proof they brought down!"

Are you parodying yourself while trying to satirise John Kerry?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Holy sh*t... Could you not spew anti American crap in at least one thread?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

It was hacked by North Korea apparently

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

The Air France crash location was quickly ascertained. No big mystery like MH370.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I've had plenty. Now stop evading and answer the question. Why would the families of the Malaysian Airlines plane that went missing care about this?

You're not reading it right - that's not what the poster is saying.

The families of those on the Malaysian Airlines flight suffered through not being able to bury their loved ones.

He/She hopes that the crash site* is located quickly, so the families of those on this flight don't suffer in the same way.

*let's hope that somehow there is no crash at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Pat D. Almighty

Why do people care about the actual body once they know that the person is dead? Getting the body back doesn't make them any less dead.

I hope you're asking yourself that question.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

I think Merkin meant how awful it was for the families of MH370 when MH370 went missing, and that it will be another set of families going through the same with this flight if it's lost. That's how I read it anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭seventeen sheep

As pointed out in the post above, you completely misinterpreted what was being said ... she meant that it was horrific for the families on the Malaysian Airlines plane; that they never got to have proper funerals etc ... and that it would be awful if similar happened again.

Having said that, even interpreting it the way you did, I think it's to be expected that the families of the other recent plane crash might have more than a passing interest in another major event like this ... and that, considering what they've been through, that they'd have a lot of empathy for the families of the victims of this incident, and that they'd hope for the bodies to be retrieved as soon as possible.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 489 ✭✭Sclosages

When they say 'missing', is it gone missing like the other one? i.e. no trace on radar?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

beks101 wrote: »
    Jesus christ. Another missing plane? WTF.

Just read this -

Yeah imagine the worldwide stats on road deaths so far this year ???

100k + maybe ???????

Ooooops

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,817 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I doubt it

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Tugboats

I was waiting for the post Christmas grief thread and we finally have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Looks like a thunderstorm brought the plane down. They formed quickly, the pilots looks to divert but couldn't avoid the thunderstorm so was rising to try and avoid it but the thunderstorm that formed went to 52,000ft, and the plane was at 32,000ft looking to go to 38,000ft when contact was lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭auldgranny

My child died years ago and it would have upset me something terrible not to have a body to bury. People have died here. Stop making stupid points to try make yourself look smarter.

Closure. Its part of the grieving process. You may not think it but it would have an affect on you if you didn't know where the body of your loved one was after suddenly vanishing of the earth.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 423 ✭✭The Bould Rabbit

Awful year for aviation.

Not looking too good in the sea between Greece and Italy either.

Sky News is keeping us updated with all the latest news tweets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

Afterhours; a thread on a nissing plane

3 pages in and weve had a debate on whether people like to have funerals and anti american posts

You have to laugh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

My heart skipped two beats when I heard this story this morning. My brother, my cousin and five others departed for Thailand in the early hours yesterday. As harsh as it sounds towards the casualties, thankfully it wasn't my brother's plane. He is probably living it up on a beach somewhere oblivious to it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 489 ✭✭Sclosages

Again no mayday call? What is this 'icing' that some dude was on about. He said it happened to MH370.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

the_monkey wrote: »
    Yeah imagine the worldwide stats on road deaths so far this year ???

100k + maybe ???????
    Yeah and cancer is terrible too and claims a lot of lives.

But neither of them are the topic of this thread.

Some people seem to have an issue talking about anything without claiming it's at the expense of something else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Joeythepirate

auldgranny wrote: »
    My child died years ago and it would have upset me something terrible not to have a body to bury. People have died here. Stop making stupid points to try make yourself look smarter.

This us Christians care greatly about burring the body, just cause you heritics don't doesn't mean the rest of us good people don't

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭SpaceSasqwatch

This us Christians care greatly about burring the body, just cause you heritics don't doesn't mean the rest of us good people don't

Anyone got a degree in linguistics to decipher this?

This. We Christians care greatly about burying the body. Just because you heritics don't care it doesn't mean the rest of us good people don't care

This maybe?

Not agreeing with sentiments of post.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    Yeah and cancer is terrible too and claims a lot of lives.

But neither of them are the topic of this thread.

Some people seem to have an issue talking about anything without claiming it's at the expense of something else.
    Ehhh you didnt even mention the problems in Iraq.

You're so insenstive.

In fact, post reported.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Joeythepirate

auldgranny wrote: »
    This maybe?

Not agreeing with sentiments of post.

Thanks english is not my first language

Thanks english is not my first language

That's ok. It wasn't really in English. Love your username.

• Advertisement
Advertisement