Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Team of the season (half season)

• 28-12-2014 6:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭

So just about half way through the season, who makes you top 11?

………………Degea
    Ivanovic...Terry…Cahill...Bertrand
    .............Matic..Fabregas
    ..............Rooney
    Sanchez…Aguero…Costa

This team for me

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

Mignolet

Lovren
    Skrtel
    Moreno
    Johnson

Allen
    Henderson
    Gerrard

Sterling
    Lambert
    Balotelli

(sorry, couldn't help it :()

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Courtois
    Ivanovic, Alderweireld, Terry
    Matic, Yaya Toure
    Sanchez, Fabregas, Hazard
    Costa, Aguero

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

..........De Gea
    Clyne....Terry...Reid..Bertrand
    Sanchez.....Matic...Fabregas..Hazard
    ............Aguero......Costa

Silva very unlucky not make it. Th attacking players is very easy to pick imo. Bertrand done well but it shows that the LB's in the PL have been poor this year. Also a huge lack of good CB's in the PL.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Ddg
    Clyne Terry Williams azpil
    Sanchez Matic fabregas hazard
    Aguero austin

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Chrissybhoy

1. De Gea
    2. Clyne
    3. Creswell
    4. Terry
    5. Cahill
    6. Matic
    7. Hazard
    8. Fabregas
    9. Aguero
    10. Costa
    11. Sanchez

Rooney the only other one I'd like to get in but couldn't

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

MD1990 wrote: »
    ..........De Gea
    Clyne....Terry...Reid..Bertrand
    Sanchez.....Matic...Fabregas..Hazard
    ............Aguero......Costa

Silva very unlucky not make it. Th attacking players is very easy to pick imo. Bertrand done well but it shows that the LB's in the PL have been poor this year. Also a huge lack of good CB's in the PL.

Personally, I think azpi hasn't put a foot wrong for Chelsea defensively, and contributes a lot going forward. Better than ivanovic for me.even though he has had a good half season too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

....................De Gea...................
    .....Clyne....Terry........Bertrand......
    ..........Fabregas.....Matic...............
    Sanchez.........Rooney.........Hazard
    ..............Aguero......Costa............

Subs: Courtois, Williams, Austin, Yaya, Carrick, Reid, Pelle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

No real surprises in mine and the team pretty much picks itself IMO. Azpilicueta and Austin unlucky to miss out.
    De Gea

Clyne Terry Cahill Bertrand

Matic Fabregas

Sanchez
    Hazard

Aguero Costa

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

De Gea

Clyne
    Terry
    Reid
    Young

Matic
    Fabregas
    Rooney

Costa
    Austin
    Sanchez

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

.......................De Gea...........................

Ivanovic........Alderweireld.....Azpilequeta

.............Schneiderlinn........Fabregas.............

........Sanchez..........Eriksen...............Hazard

...................Aguero..........Welbeck.............

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

............Courtois

Clyne..Cahill..Williams..Cresswell

.....Schneiderlin.....Matic
    .............Yaya

...Sanchez.......Hazard
    ..............Aguero

K4t wrote: »

Thought you were just doing that on the Arsenal thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

............Courtois

Clyne..Cahill..Williams..Cresswell

.....Schneiderlin.....Matic
    .............Yaya

...Sanchez.......Hazard
    ..............Aguero

Nope

Nope

Go do one tbh, same ol sh*t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Go do one tbh, same ol sh*t.
    To be fair, on what planet has Toure been better than Fabregas this season?

To be fair, on what planet has Toure been better than Fabregas this season?

Toure started off very poorly but hit form when he was most needed and has been City's most important player of late and is near the form of last season. It was a toss up in all honestly but I couldn't leave out Schneiderlin, and Matic has been the best player in the league outside Aguero. Considering I went for a 4-3-3 a more defensive player like Yaya would be better suited

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

K4t wrote: »

There are at least 10 forwards who were better than him. Even half fit Giroud is better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    There are at least 10 forwards who were better than him. Even half fit Giroud is better.
    First name on the team sheet tbh

Toure started off very poorly but hit form when he was most needed and has been City's most important player of late and is near the form of last season. It was a toss up in all honestly but I couldn't leave out Schneiderlin, and Matic has been the best player in the league outside Aguero. Considering I went for a 4-3-3 a more defensive player like Yaya would be better suited

lol Matic and Schneiderlin would easily play well if not better with Fab or Rooney

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Trilla wrote: »
    lol Matic and Schneiderlin would easily play well if not better with Fab or Rooney

Your right Yaya hasn't done enough to be in a team of the year so far. However your getting a bit ahead of yourself suggesting rooney should be in midfield in a team of the year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

De Gea
    Ivanovic Fonte Terry Bertrand
    Matic Schneiderlin
    Sanchez Fabregas Hazard
    Aguero

Your right Yaya hasn't done enough to be in a team of the year so far. However your getting a bit ahead of yourself suggesting rooney should be in midfield in a team of the year.

I'd have him ahead of Yaya, especially the last 9 games (which is half of half a season)

Fabregas deserves to be in there before them, without any question or schnorx

if you were to play a 3 man midfield Rooney would make the cut for me with Fab and Matic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

I thought the PFAI got it pretty much spot on with their team of the season.

Mark McNulty

Sean Gannon
    Andy Boyle
    Brian Gartland
    Ian Bermingham

Colin Healy
    Richie Towell
    Daryl Horgan

Patrick Hoban
    Chris Fagan
    Mark O’Sullivan

I do think that it's a bit harsh on City not to have a single defender whilst Dundalk have three, seeing as there was only one goal conceded separating the sides, but I suppose McNulty is in there, too. You could only really drop one of the centre backs, as City didn't have an overly consistent pair of full backs (Davoren not working out, Gaynor coming in in mid-season and McSweeney filling in at left back; Dunleavy and Kavanagh having a fair share of games on the right). And it mightn't be too fair to drop either of Dundalk's pair.

The overall domination of Dundalk players is unsurprising, given the season they had. Conan Byrne might feel a bit aggrieved losing out to a player that scored six goals less in the league, but I'd say Mark O'Sullivan's amazing rise from intermediate football to becoming one of the best strikers in the country this season was taken into account.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Paz-CCFC wrote: »
    I thought the PFAI got it pretty much spot on with their team of the season.

Mark McNulty

Sean Gannon
    Andy Boyle
    Brian Gartland
    Ian Bermingham

Colin Healy
    Richie Towell
    Daryl Horgan

Patrick Hoban
    Chris Fagan
    Mark O’Sullivan

I do think that it's a bit harsh on City not to have a single defender whilst Dundalk have three, seeing as there was only one goal conceded separating the sides, but I suppose McNulty is in there, too. You could only really drop one of the centre backs, as City didn't have an overly consistent pair of full backs (Davoren not working out, Gaynor coming in in mid-season and McSweeney filling in at left back; Dunleavy and Kavanagh having a fair share of games on the right). And it mightn't be too fair to drop either of Dundalk's pair.

The overall domination of Dundalk players is unsurprising, given the season they had. Conan Byrne might feel a bit aggrieved losing out to a player that scored six goals less in the league, but I'd say Mark O'Sullivan's amazing rise from intermediate football to becoming one of the best strikers in the country this season was taken into account.

I see what you did there.

Paz-CCFC wrote: »
    Mark McNulty

Sean Gannon
    Andy Boyle
    Brian Gartland
    Ian Bermingham

Colin Healy
    Richie Towell
    Daryl Horgan

Patrick Hoban
    Chris Fagan
    Mark O’Sullivan

No Messi?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

De Gea
    Clyne
    Terry
    Reid
    Azpilicueta
    Matic
    Fabregas
    Downing
    Sanchez
    Aguero
    Costa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

In all seriousness Alan Hutton should be in contention for the RB slot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SM01

Courtois
    Clyne
    Cahill---Terry
    Bertrand
    Matic
    Sanchez----Fabregas
    Hazard
    Aguero
    Costa

ATTACK ATTACK ATTACK!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

Lloris would have a serious shout at the GK spot but De Gea has been outstanding aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,372 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

KingdomYid wrote: »
    Lloris would have a serious shout at the GK spot but De Gea has been outstanding aswell.

So being at best the 3rd best keeper in the league gets you in with a serious shout? Forster is stiff competition for him in that too.

I think Fabianski is another underrated keeper so far in the season

Liam O wrote: »
    So being at best the 3rd best keeper in the league gets you in with a serious shout? Forster is stiff competition for him in that too.
    Just because you think he's "at best the 3rd best" doesn't mean that's fact.

Just because you think he's "at best the 3rd best" doesn't mean that's fact.

So Lloris has been better than De Gea and Courtois?

Arguably on a par with. Worth considering when choosing one's team of the 1/2 season.

I think he's been damned good, he's certainly been much more active than Courtois and I can't think of any more mistakes by him.

But note that I didn't actually say that, I'm not the one posting opinions as indisputable fact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

3rd best in your opinion. I would put him and DeGea as equals anyway.

I think he's been damned good, he's certainly been much more active than Courtois and I can't think of any more mistakes by him.

But note that I didn't actually say that, I'm not the one posting opinions as indisputable fact.

More saves per goal for De Gea, similar to Courtois but Courtois makes a silly amount of catches, De Gea makes more catches too while Lloris punches a lot more than both. The others both have more clean sheets than him so far but it's only 1 and 2 in the difference there. Lloris hasn't had an ever injured defense in front of him like De Gea has as well. The fact that De Gea has conceded 5 less than him with more saves per goal is pretty damning tbh. Courtois has a similar save per goal ratio but has conceded 10 less and stops more chances due to his superhuman catching.

It's as cut and dry as can be imo.

More saves per goal for De Gea, similar to Courtois but Courtois makes a silly amount of catches, De Gea makes more catches too while Lloris punches a lot more than both. The others both have more clean sheets than him so far but it's only 1 and 2 in the difference there. Lloris hasn't had an ever injured defense in front of him like De Gea has as well. The fact that De Gea has conceded 5 less than him with more saves per goal is pretty damning tbh. Courtois has a similar save per goal ratio but has conceded 10 less and stops more chances due to his superhuman catching.

I've spent long enough working with stats whereby I'd be loath to make a definitive statement such as X is better than Y based on what you've quoted, particularly when goalkeepers aren't singularly responsible for 'goals against' in team sports.

Lloris has a Spurs defence ahead of him. And if you're going on clean sheets, goals conceded etc, why aren't you arguing for Forster? It's a ridiculous argument to compare goals conceded for Spurs and Chelsea and you know it. Plus the stats don't say which shots are saveable for any goalkeeper.

Lloris has a Spurs defence ahead of him. And if you're going on clean sheets, goals conceded etc, why aren't you arguing for Forster? It's a ridiculous argument to compare goals conceded for Spurs and Chelsea and you know it. Plus the stats don't say which shots are saveable for any goalkeeper.

These stats are just supplementary to what I've seen this season. Courtois stops so many chances from coming and claiming the ball while Lloris punches a lot which is a lot more dangerous and something De Gea has really cut down on. He has Spurs defense in front of him while De Gea has had a much poorer group and performed at a high level. It takes something really special to beat Courtois and De Gea while a few average goals went in for Spurs for a while. I said Forster is the competition for 3rd spot for Lloris but De Gea and Courtois have been the standouts so far as far as I'm concerned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

These stats are just supplementary to what I've seen this season. Courtois stops so many chances from coming and claiming the ball while Lloris punches a lot which is a lot more dangerous and something De Gea has really cut down on. He has Spurs defense in front of him while De Gea has had a much poorer group and performed at a high level. It takes something really special to beat Courtois and De Gea while a few average goals went in for Spurs for a while. I said Forster is the competition for 3rd spot for Lloris but De Gea and Courtois have been the standouts so far as far as I'm concerned.

Ah behave yourself. Fazio, Chiriches, Naughton, Danny Rose, Kaboul, Dier...Spurs have a lot of defenders who have been pretty poor this season or are just settling into the Premiership.

You could argue for De Gea or Courtois but it's not outrageous to argue for Lloris either. The fella has been the best 'keeper I've seen at Spurs by a distance in my 30 years following them.

De Gea has a "much poorer" group? Come off it, Spurs have awful defenders. Vertonghen is the only decent one there and he's stopped even trying to play, awful attitude.

It's more Courtois than De Gea I have an issue with anyway. Sure, he's commanding and is utterly superb, but he's simply not had that much to do with by far the best defence in the league ahead of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

MNF's team of the season so far

2452236900000578-0-image-a-41_1419896640173.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

GavRedKing wrote: »
    MNF's team of the season so far

2452236900000578-0-image-a-41_1419896640173.jpg

Thats about right in fairness, People will argue Sneiderlin against their favourite cos he is low profile but thats typical. Ridiculous people arguing over De Gea v Courtois but that cos he is uniteds only shout for a player in the top really.

Been Chelseas first half no doubt, with City gate crashing towards the end. Anyone else that made it has done well to be fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I'd drop Costa in a 4-2-3-1 to fit Cesc at #10, rest I've no issues with really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

De Gea
    Janmaat Fonte Terry Bertrand
    Matic Fabregas
    Erikssen
    Sanchez Costa Aguero

Honorable mentions: Forster, Reid, Cahill, Schneiderlein, Rooney, Perez, Austin

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

Not sure how Costa is in there. Started off superbly in the first 7 or 8 but he's been just good since. Austin has single handedly given his team a chance of survival. A case for Downing in place of Sneiderling as well.

DeanAustin wrote: »
    Ah behave yourself. Fazio, Chiriches, Naughton, Danny Rose, Kaboul, Dier...Spurs have a lot of defenders who have been pretty poor this season or are just settling into the Premiership.

You could argue for De Gea or Courtois but it's not outrageous to argue for Lloris either. The fella has been the best 'keeper I've seen at Spurs by a distance in my 30 years following them.

Better than McNair, Blackett, Valencia and Young and a litany of players returning from and getting injured again. Spurs have had most of their defenders fit for most of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

De Gea
    Clyne Terry Fonte Azpilicueta
    Schneiderlin Fabregas Matic
    Aguero Costa Sanchez

Rooney, LLoris, Bertrand and Hazard unlucky to miss out, Silvas form came too late for this team but expect him to be in the year end one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭Luap

Ivanovic.............Terry...............Clyne

..................Matic........Fabregas.............

........Sanchez.........Sterling...............Hazard

...................Aguero..........Costa.............

• Advertisement
Advertisement