Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Property Market 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭by the seaside

Quick thanks to you all for acting as a clearing house on news (and interesting mix of views).

We are selling our house in England and moving to Dublin shortly. Will rent then buy, so this is really informative.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Quick thanks to you all for acting as a clearing house on news (and interesting mix of views).

We are selling our house in England and moving to Dublin shortly. Will rent then buy, so this is really informative.

Exchange rate should be of benefit..

Hope so. Just as long as the UK election outcome isn't too messy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Hope so. Just as long as the UK election outcome isn't too messy.

A conservative/SNP coalition could be fun.

A conservative/SNP coalition could be fun.

The SNP would be signing their electoral suicide note.

• Advertisement

The SNP would be signing their electoral suicide note.

Didnt stop the lib dems.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

We've gained 5% on sterling and the dollar in the last 3 days- on the back of increasingly rosy news from France and Germany- and bad news from the UK and the US.

The economy is a bizarre mess- and totally all-over-the-place......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

CSO figures out today. Will be interesting to see if there's any effect from 10%ers trying to buy before their approval runs out.

Didnt stop the lib dems.

I expect these lessons will be learned. Minority Tory government is my bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭lima

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭gogreen81

lima wrote: »
    Property prices in Dublin down -3.1 this year so far...

cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/er/rppi/residentialpropertypriceindexfebruary2015/#.VRKVx2Nqiho[/url]

Any EAs reading this?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

gogreen81 wrote: »
    Any EAs reading this?

I guess there are several ways of reading it. One way would be that price drops in February are not as steep as January and it is following the 2014 pattern where similar drops occurred in the same months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Some people on here seemed convinced that the CBI rules would have no effect on prices.

Saipanne wrote: »
    Some people on here seemed convinced that the CBI rules would have no effect on prices.

I certainly hope they will have an effect, but do you see a clear one yet?

Dublin index for the beginning of the year:

January -1.3
    February -0.6

January -1.9
    February -0.7

Prices are dipping a bit more this year - but it's definitely not night and day and in both cases the drop is lower in February. I don't really see a clear impact yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,514 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

they will have some effect but there is also more activity in the market. These rules will also affect some people but not everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Bob24 wrote: »

Your insertion of the word "clear" leads me to believe that no amount of evidence would be clear enough for you.

I'll pass, thanks.

Dublin index for the beginning of the year:

January -1.3
    February -0.6

January -1.9
    February -0.7

Prices are dipping a bit more this year - but it's definitely not night and day and in both cases the drop is lower in February. I don't really see a clear impact yet.

You sure about those figures? I'm fairly sure Feb 2014 was a +.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

gaius c wrote: »

CSO figures are often revised.

gaius c wrote: »

If you go here: http://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/er/rppi/residentialpropertypriceindexfebruary2015/#.VRKldOH3SMZ

Then at the bottom "Show Table 6 Dublin - all residential properties", there is a full history.

I might read it incorrectly and stand to be corrected if it is the case, but I seem to see that for February 2014 the change compared to the previous month is -0.6%.

Gotcha. Thanks.

• Advertisement

Single digit increase this year in Dublin prices, probably high single digit.

Double digit increase in apartments (Dublin), probably low double digits.

If I'm wrong I'm going to write a poem about The Conductor and Morri!

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭stevedublin

lima wrote: »

its -2.4 for Dublin and less than that nationally.

Edit: I see its -3.1 for houses but +2.9 for apartments

For whatever the comment is worth: http://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/house-prices-fall-again-in-wake-of-new-lending-restrictions-1.2152689

Commenting on the figures, John McCartney of Savills said:”With prices continuing to rise more quickly than earnings affordability constraints are beginning to have an impact. This has removed some of the heat that was evident in the market in the middle of last year.”

“Agents are now reporting that buyers are no longer in a frenzy to buy for fear that prices will run beyond their means. This is a very positive development as expectations of rapid price growth can become self-fulfilling and can quickly lead to overheating,” he said.

its -2.4 for Dublin and less than that nationally.

Edit: I see its -3.1 for houses but +2.9 for apartments

Any explanation why apartment are increasing while houses are decreasing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭lima

Silicon Docks and D4/D6 mainly seem to be rocketing up. I'm in tech and our workforce is mostly from overseas and they all want to rent close to work and have 50-70k salaries.

Where I was looking last year hasn't moved in 7-8 months. You can still pick up apts there for e240-250k whereas little apts in D4/D6 are up to e340k, paid for mostly by investors

For whatever the comment is worth: http://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/house-prices-fall-again-in-wake-of-new-lending-restrictions-1.2152689

Commenting on the figures, John McCartney of Savills said:”With prices continuing to rise more quickly than earnings affordability constraints are beginning to have an impact. This has removed some of the heat that was evident in the market in the middle of last year.”

“Agents are now reporting that buyers are no longer in a frenzy to buy for fear that prices will run beyond their means. This is a very positive development as expectations of rapid price growth can become self-fulfilling and can quickly lead to overheating,” he said.
    Somebody needs to get onto Johnboy and explain that prices are not "continuing to rise". They are in fact falling.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

now that there are price falls, I hope those who complained that prices were to high will buy or will they just complain no matter what.

now that there are price falls, I hope those who complained that prices were to high will buy or will they just complain no matter what.

I guess it depends what their reference is. Prices are lower than they were 2 months ago, but are also higher than they were 6 months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭johnp001

"Sitting on the sidelines, cribbing and moaning is a lost opportunity."
    So those who spotted that property was grossly overvalued, make sure you all catch the falling knife and buy straight into this rapidly depreciating asset!

• Advertisement

They saw massive fall offs, some people are buying them in lieu of a house due to affordability, some people are seeing the rental returns and thinking (wrongly) Cer-ching, low volume of transactions mean the data isn't great anyway.

Also some desirable apartments coming on stream, as above.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement