Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Property Market 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭johnp001

johnp001 wrote: »
    Good point about the urban rural divide in Galway prices.
    http://www.odonnjoyce.com/Auction/Results
    Morning session was rural properties: 17 of 37 lots withdrawn.
    Afternoon session was city properties with only 3 of 26 withdrawn.
    jmayo wrote: »
    Outside of Dublin the other major cities are surrounded by large counties which have some very rural areas where property prices have never reached the levels of the nearby city.
    Dublin is unsual because the entire county is basically urban Greater Dublin.
    This is true but the difference in success rates at last weeks auction is what is striking (89% urban vs 54% rural)

The reserve prices for the rural properties were lower as the prevailing prices in the rural areas are lower but they still failed to sell nearly half of the properties.
    This indicates that the Galway city market is still treading water while outside urban areas property prices are falling so much that a large proportion of lots fail to achieve their reserve price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Really interesting graph from property pin
    2eov18i.png

Basically shows difference between asking price and PPR sold.

Also stock back to early 2012 levels?

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭johnp001

audi12 wrote: »
    Rubbish, prices are not falling in galway

Does this post refer to Galway city, Galway county(non-city) or Galway as a whole? Is it based on your own observations or some other source?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Audi12 please read the charter before posting in here again. Being uncivil can lead to infractions. Thanks.

Mod

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Have officially gone sale agreed

Met with the builder yesterday for 3 hours to go through changes we want, went through costs and areas we can potentially over run.

Speaking with planning in the council on converting the garage, so far a woolly answer so will likely have to go down to them.

Surveyors report received, couple of issues.

1) Neighbours over garage extension encroaches by 1 foot over the boundary line, for me not much of an issue as if/when we extend we'll go backwards, however solicitor said it'll likely take a bit of time to resolve

2) Previous owner built a small utility room to the rear, likely to be planning exempt but need to confirm.

All in good progress in a week but i expect with the issues above we'll slow down.

now just need to put up with all of the shopping trips for kitchens, tiles, floors, carpets,curtains etc :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Congrats!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

ionapaul wrote: »
    Congrats!

Cheers, wont believe it til i've signed in blood on the dotted line..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭audi12

athtrasna wrote: »
    Audi12 please read the charter before posting in here again. Being uncivil can lead to infractions. Thanks.

Mod

Apologies but I wouldent say I was being uncivil just pointing out the obvious

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Cheers, wont believe it til i've signed in blood on the dotted line..

And you are right. I went sale agreed about 2 months ago and it is more and more looking like I will have to pull out due to multiple issues with the seller (a receiver ... I was probably looking for trouble). Sale agreed definitely doesn't mean you have a deal.

Apologies but I wouldent say I was being uncivil just pointing out the obvious

I'm more curious about the question though. Rather than saying 'any idiot can look it up', could you confirm if it's Galway City or County you're talking about.

• Advertisement

gosplan wrote: »
    I'm more curious about the question though. Rather than saying 'any idiot can look it up', could you confirm if it's Galway City or County you're talking about.

Just look at daft take two seconds in fairness

Yes.

Also typing 'city' or 'country' would take two seconds and be shorter than that reply.

But, hey. Why ruin such a good discussion you have going?

But I guess you're talking about the countryside.

Im thinking you are trying to get a reaction from me which wont happen as I am on thin ice with boards. For anyone who is actually interested prices are not falling in Galway city or county take it from someone who wants to invest but all the sheep are driving up prices.

It is one of the most desirable location to live in the world so no suprise really may have to look elsewhere for value

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Piriz

Im thinking you are trying to get a reaction from me which wont happen as I am on thin ice with boards. For anyone who is actually interested prices are not falling in Galway city or county take it from someone who wants to invest but all the sheep are driving up prices.

It is one of the most desirable location to live in the world so no suprise really may have to look elsewhere for value

having lived in Galway for a number of months in 2004 i'd disagree very much with this. Galway city is a bit of a characterture of Ireland. Its very small and lacking in things to do IMO, it pissed rain almost every day while I lived there..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

You keep talking about "sheep". Can you please elaborate on this?

I'm a FTB that has found a property in an area close to work, is modern and is cheaper than my current rent. I got into a back and forth "bidding war" with another party because it ticks so many boxes for me. Am I a sheep?

Are you painting yourself as a wolf? It's all very confusing.

Piriz wrote: »
    [/B]

having lived in Galway for a number of months in 2004 i'd disagree very much with this. Galway city is a bit of a characterture of Ireland. Its very small and lacking in things to do IMO, it pissed rain almost every day while I lived there..

Fair enough I live in Galway I love it doesnt matter what we think tourists love it the media love it, etc etc so people migrate there to live pushing up rent and house prices .. Arts festival Film fleadh Galway Races nothing to do

You keep talking about "sheep". Can you please elaborate on this?

I'm a FTB that has found a property in an area close to work, is modern and is cheaper than my current rent. I got into a back and forth "bidding war" with another party because it ticks so many boxes for me. Am I a sheep?

Are you painting yourself as a wolf? It's all very confusing.

Let me explain when prices are good value no one wanted them because they were waiting for them to fall further or they were afraid ..Since you mentioned a wold the wolves as you call them were buying property when no one else wanted them.

Now that prices are rising the sheep are getting involved because they are afraid prices will continue to rise. What they dont seem to get is that they will drive up prices for everyone including themselves mugs.

Apologies, not trying to get a rise.

However the post you quoted as 'rubbish' stated that the City was holding its value.

Also, I see a fair few price drops in the County.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Galway is one of the most desirable places to live in the world? I don't think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Mod Note Audi12 - if you're not going to be constructive, please don't post. Final warning.

• Advertisement

Paulw wrote: »
    Mod Note Audi12 - if you're not going to be constructive, please don't post. Final warning.

That was like half an hour ago look at all the posts since then ...................

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭lima

Galway? haha :rolleyes:

Think somebody mentioned D5 as being an odd mix of valuations in here recently.

Here's an interesting price drop.

http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/61-ennafort-road-raheny-dublin-5/3064386

Was up at 495. Reduced twice in the last few months. Now at 450.

But a few doors down, you've this.

http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/65-ennafort-road-raheny-dublin-5/3194840

Now at 430k.

But the people a bit further down the road are still holding out for 495k

http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/72-ennafort-park-raheny-dublin-5-c-103sqm-c-1109sqft/3072587

And literally just across the train tracks, you've this

http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/35-brookwood-road-artane-dublin-5/3209708

An extra bedroom for 55k less.

Though you have to say 'Artane' rather than 'just off the Howth road'

It's Madness. They're all bog standard poor BER aging houses. I get that the vendors have expectations based on the property market over the last while but anything above 400k for any of these houses is silly.

A three bed terraced with a huge garden in the same area just came up on PPR as 360k.

http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/61-ennafort-road-raheny-dublin-5/3064386

http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/65-ennafort-road-raheny-dublin-5/3194840

Now at 430k.

http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/72-ennafort-park-raheny-dublin-5-c-103sqm-c-1109sqft/3072587

http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/35-brookwood-road-artane-dublin-5/3209708

It's Madness. They're all bog standard poor BER aging houses. I get that the vendors have expectations based on the property market over the last while but anything above 400k for any of these houses is silly.

A three bed terraced with a huge garden in the same area just came up on PPR as 360k.

Not big houses by any means. First one is less than. 100m2 and even the Artane house is not much more.

Decent gardens but full refurbishment needed. Is there a difference in school catchment areas for Brookwood?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭mel123

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

mel123 wrote: »
    or if that's the kind of money you are looking to spend:

http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/cabra-drive-old-cabra-road-cabra-dublin-7/3245420

move straight in, no work needed, 'A' rated

I actually don't like those houses, smaller gardens, smaller then some of the cheaper ones closer to town, generally over priced. Finish and spec is fine but nothing special.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

There,s an article in this week,s sunday times re new home building company ,
    they will be building houses around 300k, high spec mostly in dublin.
    It says the cost in area to build is 2000 euro per sq ft, vs 1000 in the uk .
    Maybe land is more expensive here ,or its hard to get planning permission or labour is more expensive ,
    and most of the bricklayers ,construction workers have left the country .
    So to build a 700sq ft house it,ll cost at least 140k .
    So if you want to make a profit theres no point in building ordinary basic spec 3bed house,s in most parts of ireland .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

riclad wrote: »
    There,s an article in this week,s sunday times re new home building company ,
    they will be building houses around 300k, high spec mostly in dublin.
    It says the cost in area to build is 2000 euro per sq ft, vs 1000 in the uk .
    Maybe land is more expensive here ,or its hard to get planning permission or labour is more expensive ,
    and most of the bricklayers ,construction workers have left the country .
    So to build a 700sq ft house it,ll cost at least 140k .
    So if you want to make a profit theres no point in building ordinary basic spec 3bed house,s in most parts of ireland .

2000 per square metre surely, otherwise your small 700sq ft house is gonna cost 1.4M.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Now at 430k.

Jaysus someone still reads my posts! :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement