Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The George Redmond Judgement-Where to now...?

• 28-12-2014 1:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭

With the re-emergence of George Redmond (and his legal team) just before Christmas,it now looks like we are in for a period of "instability" relating to all of those (allegedly) dodgy characters who strode across the Irish Political and Administrative stage in recent years....

Post GR,is anybody prepared to speculate on where "We" go from here..?

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/tribunal-fiasco-politicians-and-developers-will-be-paid-100m-30865794.html

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

The Tribunal has undermined itself by creatively editing its own transcripts.

Anyone who had findings made against them should be concerned. We should all be concerned that the Tribunal acted in this way.

Sometimes in politics, people tend to go very quiet when a story emerges that doesn't suit their political bent.

And this story doesn't suit the view that certain people are corrupt, and with that, that Gogarty was an upstanding citizen, the much-lamented "plucky pensioner".

Well it seems that Gogarty was well capable of telling lies, and if the Tribunal has attempted to hide that fact, then the Tribunal is ultimately to blame for this mess, and its findings have been irreparably damaged and the Tribunal has lost credibility.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

conorh91 wrote: »
    The Tribunal has undermined itself by creatively editing its own transcripts.

Anyone who had findings made against them should be concerned. We should all be concerned that the Tribunal acted in this way.

Sometimes in politics, people tend to go very quiet when a story emerges that doesn't suit their political bent.

And this story doesn't suit the view that certain people are corrupt, and with that, that Gogarty was an upstanding citizen, the much-lamented "plucky pensioner".

Well it seems that Gogarty was well capable of telling lies, and if the Tribunal has attempted to hide that fact, then the Tribunal is ultimately to blame for this mess, and its findings have been irreparably damaged and the Tribunal has lost credibility.

To my mind,this latest development pulls the rug from under the entire "Tribunal" gig as a whole.

Is there now an opening for a U.S. style Grand Jury process to take up the slack ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

I'm not sure what a grand jury would manage to do. We've had grand juries in the past, and they were just an archaic safety net to filter out malicious prosecutions and blood feuds brought by private citizens. I have no idea why the USA has retained the grand jury system.

As things stand in Ireland, private citizens have the right to walk in off the street and commence criminal prosecutions for certain indictable offences in the District Court, including for the commission of theft and fraud offences.

The Grand Jury system would merely serve to hinder the commencement of criminal prosecutions by private citizens. Personally, I'd prefer the system retained, allowing private prosecutions to be commenced in a much more transparent and professional courtroom system, than have the prosecution assessed by a band of local 'upstanding' community leaders, many of whom may have an interest in protecting their chum -- I'd imagine many grand juries would have local councillors on their panels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

conorh91 wrote: »
    I'm not sure what a grand jury would manage to do. We've had grand juries in the past, and they were just an archaic safety net to filter out malicious prosecutions and blood feuds brought by private citizens. I have no idea why the USA has retained the grand jury system.

As things stand in Ireland, private citizens have the right to walk in off the street and commence criminal prosecutions for certain indictable offences in the District Court, including for the commission of theft and fraud offences.

The Grand Jury system would merely serve to hinder the commencement of criminal prosecutions by private citizens. Personally, I'd prefer the system retained, allowing private prosecutions to be commenced in a much more transparent and professional courtroom system, than have the prosecution assessed by a band of local 'upstanding' community leaders, many of whom may have an interest in protecting their chum -- I'd imagine many grand juries would have local councillors on their panels.

So with the GJ system ruled out,why are the vast numbers of our disaffected private citizens not taking this freely available legal route ?

From even a cursory browse of many "Anti" sites,one can find bone chilling accounts of widespread misery,penury and oppression,all coupled with various allegations of fraud,theft and misrepresentation.

Why therefore,has not even ONE major action,been initiated to definitively establish at least one guilty significant player ?

Surely these allegations MUST be legitimate.....?

Advertisement