Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bialetti issues

• 28-12-2014 2:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭

I bought one of these little Bialetti Musa stove top coffee makers for the missus for christmas.

I got the coffee ground in 3fe, so no issues there.

My oonly problem is the heat of the coffee, or more so the lack of heat.

We have an electric hob. When we've tried putting the heat on full the coffee seems to come out too quickly and not strong enough. But when i put the heat to say medium, the coffee is strong, but not very hot.

Is there something obvious that i should be dong that i havent figured out yet?

Any help would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭lolo62

I bought one of these little Bialetti Musa stove top coffee makers for the missus for christmas.

I got the coffee ground in 3fe, so no issues there.

My oonly problem is the heat of the coffee, or more so the lack of heat.

We have an electric hob. When we've tried putting the heat on full the coffee seems to come out too quickly and not strong enough. But when i put the heat to say medium, the coffee is strong, but not very hot.

Is there something obvious that i should be dong that i havent figured out yet?

Any help would be great.

Have you tried putting boiling water in to start?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

lolo62 wrote: »
    Have you tried putting boiling water in to start?

ill try that, but would that not end up going through the filter too quickly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

thanks folks, im going to give that a try now

Not in my experience but then all cookers are different. Mine is electric but plates not induction. Best of luck!

• Advertisement

Not in my experience but then all cookers are different. Mine is electric but plates not induction. Best of luck!

That's it lads. Works perfectly now. Piping hot now 😉

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

Hmm, I've done most of that, but haven't been able to get a good temperature out of my Bialetti. This post just reminded me that I have one - I had forgotten since it's been so long since I used it. The only thing I haven't tried is leaving the lid up - I'll give it a shot and see if it helps.

I've had similar issues to the OP - put the heat up high and it, err . . . peaks a little early . . . so you get stuff that looks like coffee, but doesn't quite taste right and isn't hot enough. Put it low and it tastes stronger, but still isn't hot enough. We have an induction hob and I've read that for one reason or another these can be troublesome for stove tops. Last time I used it on a camping stove it worked as expected.

z

zagmund wrote: »
    Hmm, I've done most of that, but haven't been able to get a good temperature out of my Bialetti. This post just reminded me that I have one - I had forgotten since it's been so long since I used it. The only thing I haven't tried is leaving the lid up - I'll give it a shot and see if it helps.

I've had similar issues to the OP - put the heat up high and it, err . . . peaks a little early . . . so you get stuff that looks like coffee, but doesn't quite taste right and isn't hot enough. Put it low and it tastes stronger, but still isn't hot enough. We have an induction hob and I've read that for one reason or another these can be troublesome for stove tops. Last time I used it on a camping stove it worked as expected.

z

good excuse to go camping more often :)

I wonder if the stainless steel pots work better on induction than aluminium?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

A quick google indicates that induction hobs and standard moka pots may not be the best pairing. How do you find the induction hob as a matter of interest? Is it still only 2 hobs max-on at a time or have they moved on yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭ray o

A quick google indicates that induction hobs and standard moka pots may not be the best pairing.

That's correct. It needs to be stainless steel. My one (Bialetti Venus) works perfectly on my induction hob.
    How do you find the induction hob as a matter of interest? Is it still only 2 hobs max-on at a time or have they moved on yet?
    I have a Neff flexi induction hob and there are no limits (that I know of)on how many pots go onto it at a time. I have had 3 pots on mine no problem. When my extension was built my sparks just checked the maximum potential pull from it and used the appropriate cable. It's also a dream to clean which keeps the wife happy.

PS - a couple of years ago the owner of Coffee Angel told me to use boiling water in the moka pot. I have always enjoyed my brew from it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,035 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Just lpok

Just looking for some help here. I bought the bialetti Venus for my induction hob. Tried it for the first time last night and it was a disaster, most of the water evaporated rather than filtered into the main pot. In retrospect, I think I filled it above the valve so that mightn't have helped. Today I followed the barista instructions in post 4. I used boiling water and lavazza ground coffee. It only took about 1/4 the water into the main pot and despite waiting the remainder just doesn't filter through. Is the coffee too fine or am I doing something else wrong?
    Thanks.

I know I shouldn't bump a thread but mods I am now desperate for help. My coffee pot just will not filter more than 1/3 of the water into the main unit. What am I doing wrong? Would be grateful for any advice.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

What volume of coffee are you using? Can you try it on a normal hob somewhere to rule out the induction hob causing a problem?

No problem at all on the bump btw.

What volume of coffee are you using? Can you try it on a normal hob somewhere to rule out the induction hob causing a problem?

No problem at all on the bump btw.

First time I filled the coffee bit and second time I half filled it. I don't have access to a regular hob. Others seem to have used induction without problem though

The water has to be going somewhere. Do you see steam coming out? There are only so many possibilities. It either comes out the easy route (through the coffee) into the top of the vessel for you to pour off or it comes out the side somehow. There's nowhere else for it to go. Are you ending up somehow with very wet coffee grounds? Is the seal damaged where you join the bottom (fresh water) to the top (brewed coffee)?

Normally the entire thing should be done and dusted within maybe a minute or so of you hearing the water start to boil.

z

Check out this 00:52 in this video . . . http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHkIOBJ2eQQ

Are you by any chance tamping the grounds? They shouldn't be tamped, they should be loose as per the vide. Unlike an espresso machine (which uses a fair bit of pressure from a pump to force the water through packed grounds) a stove top only has a small bit of pressure from the expansion of the water as it's heated to pass through loose grounds.

You should see the coffee flowing at the sort of rate you see at 01:10 in the video. If it's flowing too slowly then you have a problem there.

z

Advertisement