Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Zoning Heating system

• 28-12-2014 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Hi expert's. I am looking for advice on my home heating set up. Currently I have my downstairs and upstairs rads plumbed into separate manifolds which are controlled by motorized valves. I have a stove which I also use for heating rads.The trouble is I have 14 rads downstairs and 9 rads upstairs, far too many for the stove to heat. So if I am heating the downstairs rads from the stove I turn off the upstairs rads using the motorised valve and then need to manually switch off the other downstairs rads to ensure i can get enough heat to the remaining rads left on. I am considering having smeone in to further zone
    the downstairs rads with additional motorised valves so I have 3 zones downstairs and the upstairs zone as is. Any advice or alternatives? Costly?
    Appreciate any input at all.
    Thanks
    Sean

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

It depends on if the pipework is reasonably accessible and if the rads you want off are all in the same area grouped off the same pipe circuit.
    If the pipework is under concrete it would most likely not be worth the trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭SeanMacEoin

Hi K.FLyer,
    Thanks for your response.
    The pipes are currently easy to access but only for another month or so hence why I have been thinking of doing this now. All rads are on manifolds with individual flow and returns.THe rooms I would like to zone off are not colocated but does it matter if there individually plumbed.

To me I thought this would involve limited replumbing and electrical and not any dirty work with concrete. But I'm not a plumber!

Sean

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭sky6

If all the pipework is as accessible as you say then it's a reasonably easy job. Basically you need to get all the rads you wish to close onto the same manifold. Then it's a simple task of using MVs and Stats. But you really need to get someone who knows what their doing to at least advise you.

Hi K.FLyer,
    Thanks for your response.
    The pipes are currently easy to access but only for another month or so hence why I have been thinking of doing this now. All rads are on manifolds with individual flow and returns.THe rooms I would like to zone off are not colocated but does it matter if there individually plumbed.

To me I thought this would involve limited replumbing and electrical and not any dirty work with concrete. But I'm not a plumber!

Sean

From what you are describing it should be straight forward enough to carry out the modifications to the system. But it would really need a site visit for an accurate assessment.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭SeanMacEoin

Thanks Both for your input. I will take your advice and have someone look at this onsite before I decide what to do.
    Out of interest are motorised valves the right way to go or is there newer technology I should or could be looking at?

• Advertisement

It all depends on what type of manifold system you have, but in essence yes, motorised valves may be incorporated to assist with the splitting of the zones.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

upgrade your boiler to take care all your radiators

incresse your insulation so your heating does not have to work so hardd

Advertisement