Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I need a wireless repeater for this?

Options
  • 28-12-2014 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭

I can only get a signal in my bedroom from my neighbours house (we are sharing internet).

I need to get the signal all over over the house?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

Check with your neighbours ISP to see if 'sharing' internet access is not breaking their Terms of Service first.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Pretty sure the OP does not care about the isps contract :P

OP if you use a wireless repeater it will halve the bandwidth available for both yourself and the neighbour, lousy yokes. You might be tempted to run a cable, but make sure you get an electrician to do it properly (otherwise lightning might fry all your gear or worse).

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If you want to do it right use a Ubiquiti wireless bridge and setup a wireless access point in the second premises.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭euser1984

ED E wrote: »
    If you want to do it right use a Ubiquiti wireless bridge and setup a wireless access point in the second premises.

Thanks but that brand seems to be very expensive. Can you recommend anything from this list?

I have a bridge at the "home home" place but I needed to use cat5 to connect it up to the main router.

Thanks.

If you had to use a cable then it's not a wireless bridge.

Yes there are lots of cheap wifi repeaters you can use, but expect disappointment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭euser1984

srsly78 wrote: »
    If you had to use a cable then it's not a wireless bridge.

Yes there are lots of cheap wifi repeaters you can use, but expect disappointment.

No, I want to go the wireless repeater option but the bridges seem to say "plug your devices into the ethernet port?"

Most devices can operate in lots of different modes, one of which is the repeater mode that you so desire. The terminology for this stuff can be very vague and confusing. "Range extender" is another term that is used.

Example: I have an edimax EW-7416APn wifi router that I use as a second hotspot in my house. I do not use it in repeater mode but it is also capable of this function.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,148 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Just get your own broadband. Saves all the messing about then.

Advertisement