Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung Galaxy S6

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,067 ✭✭✭jones

robinph wrote: »
    I ordered the black, which is actually blue, the next day a gold one turned up.

Couldn't be bothered to send it back. Not as garish as I'd been expecting from the "gold" description so happy enough with it now.

The gold does look nice in the flesh. Do you mind me asking who you ordered from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

I still have a gold available lads, locked to tesco mobile still in the plastic, not asking 579 like three our 629 like cpw but obviously not giving it away either.
    Drop me a PM if interested. Based in Cork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 658 ✭✭✭UnknownEntity

The white one is just gorgeous IMO

Agreed. Especially when the light reflects off of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

got this phone the other day. for a 5.1" phone it sure doesnt feel like it. it feels the same size as my s5 mini (4.7")

i have the white colour which looks great. not a fan of the glass back purely because i feel like im going to smash my phone with any kind of fall and the fact ive been so used to a leather back on the s5 mini and s4 mini. im going to get a nice back case for it so ill be less worried.

overall im delighted with touchwiz on this phone. i always liked touchwiz even though i seem to be a minority with that opinion.

Just got Need for Speed: No Limits. Finding it really enjoyable and would recommend anyone on here to try it out.

the charger i got with my phone doesnt say its a fast charger anywhere on it. my phone at 0% says it will take 2.5 hours to fully charge. should i invest in one of these fast chargers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

MarkY91 wrote: »
    the charger i got with my phone doesnt say its a fast charger anywhere on it. my phone at 0% says it will take 2.5 hours to fully charge. should i invest in one of these fast chargers?
    I thought the fast charger came as standard .

yabadabado wrote: »
    I thought the fast charger came as standard .

Me too lol. I got an EU sim free s6. Ill invest in one

MarkY91 wrote:

At the top of my charger it says "adaptive fast charger". I also thought that it came as standard. Very unusual...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

haiyna wrote: »
    At the top of my charger it says "adaptive fast charger". I also thought that it came as standard. Very unusual...
    The fast charger is 9v and the non fast charger is 5v I thought, I have both chargers...I own the sg6 and a Samsung Tablet..
    Battery on SG6 is so poor though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Have the S6 edge plus 1 hour and 10 mins from 4% to 100% now that is some charge with the fast charger :O.

The fathers iPhone 6+ takes nearly 3 hours from 10% to 100% so I can live with bad battery life when it takes 2/3 of the time to charge the phone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭mjp

Anyone know how much the fast charger costs if it's not included with s6 edge?

mjp wrote: »
    Anyone know how much the fast charger costs if it's not included with s6 edge?

costing me e18 on adverts.

sold my other one for 8 euro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27 Saracen11

Hi all, had the s6 for about a month and the glass covering the rear facing camera has cracked. Any ideas on how this can be repaired?

Do I go back to my carrier or go to a phone repair shop?

Has this happened to anyone else and if so how much did it cost to fix?

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Nibs05

After 4 years being a iPhone user I managed to switch to a s6 edge 32gb gold yesterday, I even got a free Samsung switch kit which made the transition even easier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Stoolbend

Got a 64gb s6 edge today for free.

Any recommendations for somewhere that'll replace a broken screen? I'm in the west so it'll more than likely be a courier service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Just got one of these last week after a few years with HTC phones. The one thing that annoys me about Samsung phones back from when I had the S3 is the ringtones and alert tones, they are woeful compared to all other brands. Anyone know of any decent free apps with some decent tones that are not loaded with ads and malware that are everywhere?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

Just got one of these last week after a few years with HTC phones. The one thing that annoys me about Samsung phones back from when I had the S3 is the ringtones and alert tones, they are woeful compared to all other brands. Anyone know of any decent free apps with some decent tones that are not loaded with ads and malware that are everywhere?

I find Zedge quite good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Stoolbend wrote: »
    Got a 64gb s6 edge today for free.

Any recommendations for somewhere that'll replace a broken screen? I'm in the west so it'll more than likely be a courier service.

Fonefix are very good. Used them for a screen repair before.

• Advertisement

Received my gold s6 edge from eglobal on friday and had the weekend messing around with it. Smashing phone and really is top quality oozes class. I had it in the pub last night for the two big games and its certainly is a head turner of a phone.

Very happy with it and the eglobal service..the fast charge is brilliant and screen and camera are insane quality. A big step up from my HTC one m8

• Registered Users Posts: 8 anthonyk125

jones wrote: »
    Received my gold s6 edge from eglobal on friday and had the weekend messing around with it. Smashing phone and really is top quality oozes class. I had it in the pub last night for the two big games and its certainly is a head turner of a phone.

Very happy with it and the eglobal service..the fast charge is brilliant and screen and camera are insane quality. A big step up from my HTC one m8

How do you find the size did you consider the edge plus though they seem hard to get

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

+1 for Fonefix :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Anyone else finding the battery life on this phone shocking. I have it 3-4 days now and it's never lasted a day. I had a HTC M8 for the past 18 months and I was getting 2.5 days no problem out of a full charge. With this it's dropping around 6-8% per hour on standby doing nothing.

Put it this way, I'm loving the screen and camera on the S6 but I'm glad I haven't sold the M8 yet. Samsung should have made this phone thicker and put in a bigger battery. Not happy with this and having to disable data all the time to keep some sort of decent life out of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Stoolbend

I see a user on adverts offering replacement screen for €195 vs €230 for fonfix.

I think he's jackophones or something along those lines.

Has anyone any experience with him?

Do fonfix use genuine parts?

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Luke92

So I updated to 5.1.1 a while back (with 3 and non root.)

I was looking at how to delete my entire personal dictionary of words. It seems they have either taken it out completely or made it impossible to find. Can anyone help with this?

I don't want to have delete each word individually I want to be able to just clear my log of personalised words? Anybody any ideas how to?

• Advertisement

that peel remote stock app is soo useful. its a TV guide too for your upc/sky that's 1000 times better and easier than the upc epg. you just click on the show and it changes to it for you etc.

Can't believe I was about to freeze it via root

How do you find the size did you consider the edge plus though they seem hard to get

Size is perfect for me it's actually same size as my m8 and that's with a bigger screen. The edge plus was tempting but just thought it was too big for me

Anyone else finding the battery life on this phone shocking. I have it 3-4 days now and it's never lasted a day. I had a HTC M8 for the past 18 months and I was getting 2.5 days no problem out of a full charge. With this it's dropping around 6-8% per hour on standby doing nothing.

Put it this way, I'm loving the screen and camera on the S6 but I'm glad I haven't sold the M8 yet. Samsung should have made this phone thicker and put in a bigger battery. Not happy with this and having to disable data all the time to keep some sort of decent life out of it.

I've mine since friday and while i don't think the battery is great its lasting about the same as my HTC one m8...i think the fast charge does negate the lower battery levels in some regards but i agree they should of stuck a higher powered battery in the edge and combined it would fast charge it would of been a killer combo.

ps how were you getting 2.5 days from the m8? i barely got 1 day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Stoolbend wrote: »

Do fonfix use genuine parts?

They do , and they are a manufacturer approved repair centre. So you wont lose your warranty.

this fast charger is great. I had 40% battery and compared to plugging phone into my ps4, the fast charger was half the charging time.

people say the battery life is ****e but if you root it and greenify certain apps and freeze useless processes etc that can save some juice. its about the same or better life than I was getting with my s5 mini so I'm happy. I can see why people are unhappy when they're coming from phone with 2 day battery lives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭BeanFlicker

Any idea's when we might get Marshmallow?? on meteor network

Any idea's when we might get Marshmallow?? on meteor network

I've sim free edge wondering the same.

On a related note one of my mates just bought edge + thinking it was same phone that i had. It's a fair bit bigger though isn't it? I think he's in for a shock/surprise :)

I've sim free edge wondering the same.

On a related note one of my mates just bought edge + thinking it was same phone that i had. It's a fair bit bigger though isn't it? I think he's in for a shock/surprise :)

You'll probably get it before me so, rather than having to wait for meteor OTA

Yeah 5.7" vs 5.1", lovely phone though and bigger battery too which is crap on the s6

Yeah bigger battery and 1 gig extra ram seems to be the only differences (and the bigger screen of course). I originally thought it would be too big but now i'm thinking it wouldn't be. I'll wait to see what the S7 Edge looks like :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

It's a ****e battery, I'm going to move to the LG G4, as you said though the Camera is superb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭Tony H

Just a heads up for anyone that bought their s6 before 30 Sept, Play Music trial for 6 months is available until the 31 Oct, I thought it was only for UK but just availed of it today .

It seems to be tied to my gmail account and as I did the months trial way back when its not coming up for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭Tony H

It seems to be tied to my gmail account and as I did the months trial way back when its not coming up for me

just add a new gmail account and it gives you the option of the free trial .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭JoyPad

Hi,

I have a SM-G920F model (SIM free, bought on expansys).
    The phone is great, but I'm having issues with applications randomly crashing. The most obvious ones are Spotify (music stops playing) and Endomondo (workout stops being recorded). There might be other apps crashing, but I couldn't tell, as they don't provide continuous information to me.

This seems to be a fault of the phone + Android, and not the apps themselves. For example, if I reboot the phone prior to my run, Endomondo does not crash.

Has anyone else seen random applications crashing on S6?

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭JoyPad

OSI wrote: »
    Google "Galaxy S6 RAM issue"

Basically the S6 is crap at managing memory and has a fetish for killing off apps to free up memory far more aggressively than most other equivalently specced phones.

I actually have done so, and came up with "news" that the issue has been fixed with updates from months ago. Am I missing something here?

• Advertisement

My S6 has fairly high RAM usage at around 60-80% but I don't remember any apps crashing anytime recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Thinking of getting an S6. Are they the best android phone around bar the edge? Would amazon be my best bet to get one sim free?

OK let's make a list of Android flagships for 2015/16

So we've got:
    Galaxy S6
    LG G4
    Moto X
    HTC One M9
    Note 5
    Oneplus 2
    Nexus 5X
    Nexus 6P
    Sony Xperia Z5

IMO the Note 5, Moto X and 6P are too largd to be daily drivers.

The Oneplus 2's invite system is a mess and you're better off paying extra to get out of that hassle.

Nexus 5X is really expensive in Europe for what it is.

So that leaves us with the S6, G4, Z5 and the M9.

LG's interface is not very attractive and the general build and look of the phone is not great.

The M9 has a whole heap of problems and it's just not as innovative as the other flagships out there.

My problem with Sony is that they release a new flagship too often so the Z5 will be old news soon enough.

The main problem that you will find with the S6 is the battery and depending on your situation, that could be a deal breaker. Personally, I can live with it because of the fast charger and the way my day is structured. I am more than happy to make that sacrifice.

Also let me know if I've left out any other major flagships

haiyna wrote: »
    My S6 has fairly high RAM usage at around 60-80% but I don't remember any apps crashing anytime recently.

Same as this. I have the smart manager widget on one of my home screen just to keep an eye on RAM usage and it is usually around 80% even when i kill everything off its still at 65% but i don't think i've had any apps crash on me *touch wood*

I was under the impression the RAM leakage thing was sorted a while back but i'm only new to the phone so i know no different (925F in my case)

Folks,

Just a quick one and i'm not sure if it's 100% relevant to this thread but i ordered my S6 edge from eglobal 2 weeks ago and received and everything is perfect but i want to insure it and gadget insurance places are telling me it has to be VAT registered and in the EU or US and an asian company can't be covered over here. Now i'm not sure if eglobal is considered outside EU as my phone appears to of come from England going by the tracking information.

Anyone have an experience with this?

Anyone receive the new 78mb software update (build number G920FXXU3COI9), and if so, have you seen any improvements to battery SOT??

I'm just downloading it now but supposedly has improved battery performance etc

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/new-galaxy-s6-update-g920fxxu3coi9-brings-battery-fix-performance-optimisation-features-download-1523016

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

i just checked manually (last automatic check was 14th) and that patch is available for download.
    getting it now too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Gazzmonkey

I'm still on build number LMY47X.....

Checked for the update but my S6 isn't picking it up :(

My battery life is pretty bad so I hope this sorts it.

• Advertisement

Same here, I'm receiving a notification for an update but I'll wait until I have WiFi to download it.

Advertisement